Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912592 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1440 on: January 24, 2016, 09:20:57 pm »

Pretty sure alchemical objects are typically supernatural, not spell-like, so I think they would ignore SR. Though I haven't gone over the differences between spells, spell-likes, and supernaturals in a while.

Kind of a moot point though, as they were also semi-demonic or something, so they had elemental resistances as well.

Edit:
Here is the swarm.
Here is the swarm queen.

We had to fight about three swarms and the queen at the same time, and before that was a fight with about four swarms. Everybody lost a shit-ton of gear to their Ravenous ability, and at least two people got screwed by their Confusion effect.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:24:48 pm by BlackFlyme »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 24, 2016, 09:40:27 pm »

oh nice they fly too
I don't know how much XP 1600 is, but these look absurd for a level 6 group.  I honestly don't know how you're supposed to hurt them.  This is like being attacked by a group of flying invulnerable rust monsters.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 24, 2016, 09:45:06 pm »

Literally just magic, with good rolls. One of the other players said that last time they played this campaign, the DM gave them a wand of cone of cold just so they could harm these things.

I was a Kineticist, so I used Fan of Flames, an AOE ability, which swarms take bonus damage from. I was the only one who could do anything.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 27, 2016, 11:40:57 pm »

New campaign which I declined to join, but listen in on sometimes:

Wizard: "Dragon's breath rounds prove the existence of gunpowder"
*blah blah blah*
DM: "Spell thermite?"
*bluh bluh huge powergamer*
"They not only perfected glassmaking, but also purification of silver and gold"
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 27, 2016, 11:42:26 pm »

Hmmmmm.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 28, 2016, 12:10:39 am »

It occurs to me hat it would make a lot of sense for magic scrolls to be traded in lieu of coin in large transactions, like a sort of jumbo-sized (iirc canonically they're about the size of a sheet of printer paper) paper currency, but unlike either paper currency OR gold, magic scrolls are intrinsically valuable.

(The Epic Level Handbook mentioned something about powerful magic organizations issuing transferrable IOUs for spellcasting in lieu of cash, but why wouldn't they simply use scrolls)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 28, 2016, 12:40:22 am »

(The Epic Level Handbook mentioned something about powerful magic organizations issuing transferrable IOUs for spellcasting in lieu of cash, but why wouldn't they simply use scrolls)
A lot of reasons. A scroll can't be broken down into fractional parts. A scroll has one use, and can't be redeemed for more than one spell. Scrolls cost gold, time and XP to make.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:53 am »

Diamond dust is intrinsically the same. Per RAW, diamond dust, as a gem, is a trade good and can be sold for full value. Other options include 100 gp pearls suitable for the material component of the Identify spell, and given it's used to identify every magical item in 3.5e, must be fairly widespread.

One thing always bothered me: How do shopkeepers identify whatever magical crap you're pawning? Unless they've got spellcaster ranks and are burning the cost of the identification out of their own pocket, it seems a little strange.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 28, 2016, 06:30:07 am »

I would imagine that the shopkeepers dealing with magical items have ways to identify magic items. You probably aren't selling your magical items at a bakery, but at a specialized shop.
That is how I would explain it at least.
Besides... have you actually tried cheating a shopkeeper? maybe it works.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 28, 2016, 06:37:04 am »

Oldest trick in the book: Cast the Mount spell, sell the horse, book it out of town before the spell duration expires.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 28, 2016, 07:29:27 am »

Coins can be broken down into fractionals, or even just melted down for the gold. Everyone uses gold. Kings, peasants, wizards. Gold is a currency that anyone can use.

Magic scrolls not so much. If you want to use it yourself, you need magical ability. It's of limited use depending who you want to trade it to - is an architect going to want to be paid in a scroll of fireball? No, he'll want gold, because otherwise he needs to find a wizard to sell it to who will probably gouge him on the price.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 28, 2016, 08:07:40 am »

Oldest trick in the book: Cast the Mount spell, sell the horse, book it out of town before the spell duration expires.

False. It's actually stated that the "horse" is spectral in form, and thus easily recognizable as not actually a horse.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 28, 2016, 08:09:49 am »

"IZ BETTER THEN HORSE! IS MAGIC HORSE! NEVER STOP RUNNING IT'S WHOLE LIFE!"

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1453 on: January 28, 2016, 08:17:00 am »

"Make a Bluff check."

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 28, 2016, 11:46:39 am »

Diamond dust is intrinsically the same. Per RAW, diamond dust, as a gem, is a trade good and can be sold for full value. Other options include 100 gp pearls suitable for the material component of the Identify spell, and given it's used to identify every magical item in 3.5e, must be fairly widespread.

One thing always bothered me: How do shopkeepers identify whatever magical crap you're pawning? Unless they've got spellcaster ranks and are burning the cost of the identification out of their own pocket, it seems a little strange.

Yeah, that identify price is out of control. Personally I'd houserule it down.

That said, I'm sure a lot of items' functions are self-evident if you're familiar with that type of item. Not rings or weapons and armor perhaps, but wondrous items seem to generally have pretty distinctive appearances
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 623