Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921628 times)

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #435 on: July 19, 2015, 01:06:53 am »

He had linked up time with certain periods of events entangled together to make a horrifically awesome levels of a massive world shaking and ending kind of campaign. At the moment there was a huge incarnation event that is the signal of something big is in motion much like the last two that had happened during the whole gaming campaign and I was a fool for not really paying attention, also not having the confidence in my logic to say anything ( if any of you noticed, my confidence levels in myself is practically as existent). In all and it is a fun game.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:33:15 am by SquatchHammer »
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 19, 2015, 06:55:22 am »

And yet the Cavalier in my game kicks that thing's butt with a typical attack of 6d4+57 or the much more likely 2d10+38

I am thinking of an evil plan.
It's not quite that high... for our level it's high but yeah.  On that note I wonder how you are gonna cope with me now bypassing everything but epic level dr hahaha.

Our team is basically team glass cannon, everyone can do a ton of damage (except the bird woman but her player is almost never here.) and we all have very low health/ac.  I should probably buy some platemail now that I am thinking about it.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 19, 2015, 07:09:21 am »

I admit I have a hard time balancing things for you guys.

I just about am at the point where I might as well make the monsters for you guys to fight wholesale.

Though as for damage reduction. I actually was selecting monsters based on how appropriate they were for the place. I just seem to have a tendency to pick good combinations against the party.

Though I often have a bad tendency to forget to set up monsters appropriately... Such as having those fliers already on the ceiling or inside those holes... and having the demon already used his summoning from your "Not at all silent" movement.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 19, 2015, 07:15:32 am »

Something between the kobold army and the flesh dogs we fought would be nice, 4-6 enemies that are strong but not full on immune would be nice.  Both me and vacio were discussing how choosing poisons/disability hexs for level 5 characters seemed like a bad idea since all we are running into (for the most part, thank god that demi-god wasn't immune to stat damage) are immune to those things.

It is part of the problem with pathfinder all things considered, if your party isn't well balanced you are just gonna run into a lot of things that the fight will boil down to 'Dear god please let me crit cause if I don't we all die.'  Though I will have to remember that tag-team combat style me and Nasir used because otherwise I would of been very dead, lambert probably would of died since we couldn't of dealt enough damage fast enough, and then vicdra may have gone down as she can't affect constructs.

We do also need to be a bit smarter, 10 sessions in and only now have we bought a cure light wounds wand hahaa.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 19, 2015, 07:20:58 am »

The issue is just how the game balances encounters.

Anything that would stand up to you hitting it, hits back hard.

Anything too low cannot hit you... and you are so fragile that guaranteed hits whittle you down. :P

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 19, 2015, 07:38:19 am »

oh, come on. It was just a 2d4+19!

(also, +6 comes from my cgallenge class feature, which I can only use twice per day. the rest is strength, plus wielding 2 handed, plus always power attacking)

and I still haven't had a chance to properly charge anything.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 19, 2015, 08:38:56 am »

Also paladins when fighting their favoured enemies do like double what you are doing.  Smite evil is like challenge on steroids.

As for things that could stand up to us hitting them, slimes, high ac creatures and high hp creatures are all things we could fight that would be dangerous but not 'kill you in two hits' dangerous.

Like a level 8 fighter who is plate mail/heavy shield would still hit decently hard  (probably use feats like disarm, trip and what not) without one/two shotting us.
Nom nom nom

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 19, 2015, 08:51:54 am »

i think neonivek needs to be exposed to level 20 cleric shenanigans...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 19, 2015, 08:54:08 am »

level 20 _insert class here_ schenangins in general are silly.  Level 20 slayers get insta kill anytime they strike an declared target flat footed OR they crit them.  Death effects in general for rogue/ranger/archer classes are often hilariously adept at making gm's red faced.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 19, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »

As for things that could stand up to us hitting them, slimes, high ac creatures and high hp creatures are all things we could fight that would be dangerous but not 'kill you in two hits' dangerous.

Believe it or not you kind of killed that curve to death because well... That was a high HP and high AC enemy and that is as high as it goes at your CR... and it hits back hard!

The game doesn't really do fleshwalls.

But fine I'll be creative... I'll get out some of my... more interesting books. *laughs maniacally*

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 19, 2015, 01:41:49 pm »

My game had guys who were dead accurate and hard hitters. So I made a guy to fight them with 600+hp. He lasted only 4 rounds, but still 4 rounds more than the other bosses
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 19, 2015, 01:46:59 pm »

yeah doubling or tripling an enemy's hp is decent for making a boss.  Just as long as he isn't also a -one shot the pc's- type dude.

Also that demon fight would of gone more interestingly if they had gotten summons, boss with a couple lackies is always a nice fight.  so far it seems to be consistantly 1-2 really rediculously strong creatures alone or ton and tons of weak dudes.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 19, 2015, 01:47:52 pm »

My game had guys who were dead accurate and hard hitters. So I made a guy to fight them with 600+hp. He lasted only 4 rounds, but still 4 rounds more than the other bosses

Yeah I am dreading making enemies from scratch as default :P

yeah doubling or tripling an enemy's hp is decent for making a boss.  Just as long as he isn't also a -one shot the pc's- type dude.

Also that demon fight would of gone more interestingly if they had gotten summons, boss with a couple lackies is always a nice fight.  so far it seems to be consistantly 1-2 really rediculously strong creatures alone or ton and tons of weak dudes.

Yeah...

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 19, 2015, 02:19:27 pm »

Throw in a couple of meaty healers too, it can help prolong things and make a non-challenging fight more engaging.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 19, 2015, 06:01:46 pm »

^That right there is good advice. If you need something to make a boss fight more difficult and don't want to just buff the boss, there's a couple core options. As above, add healers that can't be instantly gibbed (IIRC the first Seymour fight in FFX was a good example of this at work). Add ranged enemies that aren't immediately in reach, enough that the party's ranged PCs can't wipe them in a turn or two. Add environmental hazards and give the boss a way to knock/push/force players into them. Add an environmental element that splits the party up and forces some to hold out against the boss while the others clear minions and try to get to them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 623