Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921793 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2015, 01:36:32 pm »

Oh wow thank you for that, he's actually wearing one (level 15, now 16).  Thanks to you, his familiar took the headband off and put it back on, we're assuming maybe it works like that.  It might not have been necessary but this makes the narrative most consistent.
If he was still a hydra he could wear multiple headbands of intelligence.

Oh yeah!  I'm almost positive that gives him multiple head slots, and more hands would give him more ring slots. 

Sadly the enhancement bonuses wouldn't stack, but he could wear other hats.  And with the Mystic Item Compendium rules for customizing items, he could get a lot of neat enchanted hats.
I don't think we have the cash for it, but it is a fun image heh.

I don't know any way to get his int up to 10 even temporarily...  Which is a shame because then he could cast Limited Wish to cure himself with his new spell level.  A scroll of Heal is only 1,650 though, and our barbearian has decent UMD.  We're also in contact via items too.  We don't have a particularly speedy way to get to him, but we know his location and situation.

Heck, he's ironically right next to our two current quest targets.  So the quest giver might cast us a Greater Teleport again.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 15, 2015, 01:40:43 pm »

Don't basic rings of +2 INT stack?  EG, 2 such rings gives you +4 INT?

If you have 8 arms, that's a possible +16 INT. (if you have the cash.)

scratch that, I guess pathfinder does not have such items.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:46:36 pm by wierd »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 15, 2015, 01:48:18 pm »

It would have to be an untyped bonus.  Then it would *probably* work...  Even untyped bonuses from the same source don't stack, but multiple identical rings are probably different sources.  I don't know of any untyped stat bonuses like that though, particularly as equipment enchantments.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2015, 02:21:52 pm »

Actually unless Pathfinder dramatically alters magic item usage, no, being a hydra does not allow you to gain stacking benefits from headgear.  You've got two ring slots, one amulet/decorative item, one piece of headgear, one set of eyegear (glasses, lenses, whatever), one set of gloves/gauntlets, one set of footwear, one cloak/cape, one suit of armor, one robe, one vest/shirt, one set of bracers/bracelets and a belt.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2015, 02:27:34 pm »

That's for humanoid creatures...
I sincerely doubt that Pathfinder would actually disallow multiple effects from multiple magic items that you could feasibly wear at once without wearing one on top of the other or something.
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2015, 02:48:33 pm »

It's called game balance.  The limitations are there to prevent pretty much exactly what you guys are suggesting.  The way it works is that a hydra could wear enough headgear for each head, but only one effect could be active at a time.  Just like you as a humanoid can wear as many rings as you have fingers, but only two will be able to function simultaneously.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2015, 02:49:56 pm »

Even so, the GM could possibly fudge it to be nice to the player, since he's just trying to... not be a mentally deficient hydra any more. :P
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2015, 02:51:37 pm »

Yes, a DM could do so if they chose to, and if the DM is feeling inclined to allow it, then they had better be prepared for the consequences of their decision, or have some divine intervention so they can one-off it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2015, 03:03:05 pm »

Huh, according to some people it might be possible to to custom-enchant an item with a bonus type other than enhancement.  So a +6 sacred bonus to INT, maybe, instead of the typical +6 enhancement bonus.  That would stack with other enhancement bonuses (like from the headband of intelligence, or Fox's Cunning).

It's a neat thing to know, but I don't know if our DM would even allow it.  Besides, my character which actually had Craft Wondrous Item is...  Unavailable.

It's no problem though, a scroll of Heal will undo the Feeblemind and we just received a sizeable mission advance to spend.  No DM ex machina necessary this time.

The character with Craft Wondrous Item was my Ogre Mage who reincarnated as a female grey dwarf then accidentally teleported into a continent of negative energy trying to use a Greater Teleport scroll.  Let's just say she did come back as a wight like I thought...  But the experience has left her unsuitable for even our insane party.

It's fine though, I have a different backup character ready.  One who we thought was a NPC forever, but there's a logical reason for him to return (if my current character, the bone-stupid frenzied berserker who used to be a DMPC, dies).

Though playing an idiot is kinda fun in it's own way.  I'm cool with it, or moving back to a support caster.
She/they

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 15, 2015, 04:22:47 pm »

The only example of a stacking same-type bonus I know of would be for ioun stones, which can give +2 bonuses up to a maximum of +6. It can only stack with itself though, so no mixing a strength stone with a strength belt.

E:
To be more specific, here is a list of stones that explicitly state that they are capable of stacking that I have found:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
/E

Bonus calculating can be a pain. And I still haven't found out how animal equipment slots work. I've found one chart on a fansite, but it had no source listed.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 05:14:11 pm by BlackFlyme »

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 15, 2015, 05:31:28 pm »

Have a pack full of Emerald Ellipsoids that is also made of Emerald Ellipsoids while wearing armor made of Emerald Ellipsoids and eating Emerald Ellipsoids for every meal.

DM: How much THP do you have again?
Player: What's 5 times 7233?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 15, 2015, 05:39:32 pm »

You can put stones in special compasses called 'wayfinders' so they don't orbit you like stones normally do while active. Or if you are the daring type, they can be sewn directly into your flesh.

If they are put into a wayfinder, there is a 75% chance that a normal stone's 'resonant ability' will activate. Which for Emeralds is another +5 hitpoints, regardless of whether it is a normal, cracked, or flawed stone. Though flawed and cracked stones only have a 25% chance of resonating.

Reading a bit more, it seems that flawed only stack to 25, while cracked only go to 5. Flawed ones give you negative levels though, so I wouldn't use them. I wouldn't so much as touch many of the flawed stones, to be honest. Some cracked ones are good though.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 20, 2015, 08:09:43 pm »

Bumping to ask how y'all feel about underwater combat. I'm not a fan of it, but it is something that I will have to learn to deal with.

In pathfinder, piercing attacks can be used normally, but slashing takes a -2 to hit and damage and bludgeoning is outright halved. Movement is also an annoying factor.

At least the books give us tons of potions of water breathing. I invested in an amulet of adaption instead, however.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 20, 2015, 09:08:04 pm »

There's ways to counter that combat stuff underwater. Mostly magic that lets you move about normally. But underwater combat is different combat than above water, absolutely. I once had to fight a city of ghouls underwater as a crusader using a falchion (3.5e). That was a blast.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2015, 12:23:33 am »

Underwater combat:

1) Is water breathing involved, or do we have pearl divers trying to fight and then run up to the surface for air every 4 rounds?

2) Heavy armor will down them. No. It will drown them unless they are water breathing. If they ARE water breathing, then they will hit the bottom and stay there until they either walk all the way to shore, or somebody hauls them up on a really big rope and pulley. There is NO swimming in heavy armor.

3) Big weapons wont work. Especially blunt type weapons, which rely on bruising and crushing. This is things like axes, claymores, clubs, etc. Only weapons that would work as expected would be things like a boot knife, and then only as the cutting damage its capable of. Bonus points if you "work in" special underwater weaponry, like a spring loaded harpoon, or a thrown torpedo knife. (basically, imagine this pool toy, with a sharp pokey bit on the front. Say some kind of poison injection needle so you can get poison damage on successful hit.)

4) BEST weapons underwater are going to be magical burden items coupled with dispel magic (to terminate waterbreathing) and or, rope coupled with the same.  Tie them up or otherwise hyper-encumber them, then dispel magic. BOOM. suffocation.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 623