Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921741 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #660 on: August 10, 2015, 05:27:13 am »

It is not the same kind of "magic" that turns bread into toast. You do not "captures his own magic potential" inside the bread to make it toast. That it is inconsistent with other types of magic (ie doesn't show up under Detect Magic, if that is true), does not magic it not-magic, and it does not make it mundane, it makes it magic that works differently.

edit: wordchoice
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 08:37:00 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 10, 2015, 08:20:56 am »

Yeah. Golems don't show up under detect magic either.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2015, 10:01:11 am »

Yeah. Golems don't show up under detect magic either.
Damn, that's a good point.  But the casting to create a golem (wish or miracle, plus other stuff) does.  I couldn't find any sign (3.5e) that the alchemy process shows up as magic.  The only thing linking it to spells is... kinda weird.   You have to be a spellcaster.  Not sure if 1 level of ranger counts, I assume you have to actually unlock a spell level.  Your caster type(s) or levels don't affect your alchemy at all.

So I'd like to believe it's experimental science (like arcane magic, actually...) but only people with "opened minds" can figure it out.  It's kinda a nonsensical restriction in any case.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 10, 2015, 10:14:37 am »

If I understood it correctly we were talking about the Pathfinder class Alchemist, though, not just any user of craft (Alchemy).
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 10, 2015, 10:14:37 am »

I may explore that in one of my settings in the future myself.  I've already got one where kobolds are actually offshoots of dragons (extremely distant offshoots), so I might use 'cobalt' dragons as the breakaway point.

I forgot to mention, this sounds really cool!
I wonder if you could do something with cobalt itself.  Maybe kobolds know the trick of coaxing it from the rock, leading to some very distinctive glassware and weapons.  As far as I can tell, cobalt-alloy weapons wouldn't be particularly great... or blue...  But this is fantasy after all.  Maybe mine spirits (kobolds in the original since) stick with the material and give it properties.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 10, 2015, 10:25:13 am »

Wait what the hell
When I posted that, I got an alert for a preceding post...  But it was my own!
Guess I saw wrong, I thought it was a consequence of multiple windows though.
You ninja'd me and I didn't even see you, there's a -20 penalty for sniping like that!

Or wait, you actually didn't ninja me at all but you tricked me into thinking you did.  That's like, advanced ninjistics.  AKA ninjitsu?
She/they

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:09 am »

My phone shows us both as having posted at 16:14:37, with my post ninjing in ahead of yours. OR MAYBE THIS IS JUST A DIVERSION AND I WAS BEHIND YOU ALL THE TIME

*Sneak Attack*
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 10, 2015, 11:53:06 am »

I may explore that in one of my settings in the future myself.  I've already got one where kobolds are actually offshoots of dragons (extremely distant offshoots), so I might use 'cobalt' dragons as the breakaway point.

I forgot to mention, this sounds really cool!
I wonder if you could do something with cobalt itself.  Maybe kobolds know the trick of coaxing it from the rock, leading to some very distinctive glassware and weapons.  As far as I can tell, cobalt-alloy weapons wouldn't be particularly great... or blue...  But this is fantasy after all.  Maybe mine spirits (kobolds in the original since) stick with the material and give it properties.

Cobalt makes most steel preparations very brittle. That's where the whole "metal tainted by kobalds" thing is from-- In the darkness of the mines, the slightly off-blue irridecence of the cobalt ores looked like shining eyeballs (thus, "a creature!"), and the metal produced from these mines was not fit for smithing, because it would crack and break so easily (cursed!).  With more modern steel formulations, it is sometimes used with nickel, vanadium, chromium and copper to produce stainless steels with good qualities.  It is also used with nickel to produce "alnico" magnets.

Having kobalds not be mentally deficient rabble, but instead just chaotic evil little shits with actual skills and crafts, could be an interesting twist. 

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 10, 2015, 02:38:12 pm »

Well, the kobolds of Vengeance (the planet and campaign setting that I created) are descended from metallic dragon stock (so they actually have a predisposition towards good alignments) and are extremely skilled in crafting, but their population is extremely low so they don't have a society per se, just clan groups living in various places around the world.  It would be cool to find a way to add some nods to the original folklore in their story tho'.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 10, 2015, 08:37:32 pm »

There was a great roll-to-dodge comic about kobolds on MSPA's forum a while ago, but most of the images are broken now

http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?46495-Everignot
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mundus Mutatis
« Reply #671 on: August 11, 2015, 11:09:53 am »

Link

Your entire lives, you have lived comfortably in the Home. It has shielded your family for generations from the demons that ruined the world outside. Carved from stone and filled with all sorts of magical brilliance, the Home had everything you needed. Food, water, shelter was all at your fingertips.

Was being the most important word.

The crops failed this year. Failed horribly. The soil was barren and empty. The only thing you could rely on was the meat producer and even that rarely worked out correctly.

You have to leave your Home. You've found your way to the exit and, although you've been warned your entire lives that there's nothing more than a broken fiery wasteland outside, you must leave in order to survive.

--------------

This is a campaign where players start out as a milling crowd of level 0 civilians and hopefully turn into something that can survive. Imagine a magical Fallout and you'll start to get the right idea.

We'll be playing Dungeon Crawl Classics and each player will get 4 0 level characters to play with. They'll probably die, so don't get too attached. They are, however, your lives. Protect them, as it'll be rare for anyone else to turn up to join you later on.

If you want a campaign where exploration of a new world, deadliness around every corner and grey shifting morality is key, join Mundus Mutatis today!

--------------

If possible, I'd like to run more than once a week and I'm extremely flexible on what times I can play (at least up until mid September). Please apply if you are the same. Don't not apply if you're not, just something to keep in mind.

Basically, I'm running a text based roleplaying campaign and the reactions from Roll20 have been... Tepid, at best.

I'm looking for another pair of players to round out the group.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 13, 2015, 08:48:39 am »

Hey folks. Just wanted to pop in and say hi to other DMs and PCs...

I myself am a DM for a group of players at a gamestore I go to each Thursday, where I do a special Dungeon Crawler RPG styled game, with random loot and random dungeons each floor they travel down deeper and deeper, well they would if it wasn't still early game...

But thats not the thing, a couple of players accidently slipped down a floor earlier then intended, they set of the obvious trap that originally was going to lead to an escape challenge but due to the night ending and bouncing off one of their side comments, I had them drop down a floor and such. I don't know why, it was a good idea at the time T_T...

Now while the rest of the party finished the first floor, which wasn't all that far from being done before packup time, those that fell down a level now find themselves looking at a "Giantantic Iron Obelix" that I described as Skyscraper in size to show that even though they were going down deeper, each floor didn't follow any natural rule of well, physics (the dungeon is special)...

Now I was originally left thinking about how handle this floors system, and was stuck with any idea. Then on the way home my friend who was Carpooling with me started talking about old Comics and we found we both had an affinity with the old Asterix and Obelix comics. And then the idea for the floor struck me. One of their Comics, which was a Film to Book styled bit of work was that of "The 12 Tasks of Asterix" one that he had never heard of, which was great, as I plan to introduce the Task that was known as "The place that sends you Mad" as the floors challenge. See this for an idea of the trials... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

So now I am spending the week planning this Floor and its FUN...
Anyone want to help :P
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 13, 2015, 09:29:24 am »

Sounds fun, I'll try and join in if I'm around over the weekend. It'll be a reasonable exercise for my own coming-at-some-point game. Which is still HEAVILY in the planning stage (bonus cookies since you might learn my real name through that link since Google is a BITCH). I've got a lot of thoughts but have yet to commit them to paper/docs. Everything in that is subject to massive changes, and I'll probably have it worded in a somewhat less abusive way when I put it up on B12.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:34:43 am by UXLZ »
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 16, 2015, 02:27:30 am »

And anther good solid session, players are moving on their own now (and working to advance the story.)  In addition to getting some of the legwork done researching and understanding the prophecy, they decided to start actively trying to advance said prophecy in their own direction.

Paladin has probably done the largest share of the work on understanding the prophecy (all the river of time stuff that goes with it), and the thief has also stepped up her game.

The fighter/mage is still going strong (he keeps joking that events are pushing him into things, but in reality everything has been his own choice.)

Everything considered probably one of the most productive sessions so far, looking forward to what they'll do next week.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 623