Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921276 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6210 on: December 17, 2018, 03:40:04 am »

The "only PHB" policy is a little weird, but understandable. It makes me think, though: does anyone actually use the Starter Set, the one that only goes up to level 5 and only has one subclass per class? That seems like the thing for a group where no one has ever played any RPG...
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: December 17, 2018, 08:17:56 am »

Probably. I recall back when I used to play less with groups of friends and more with groups of casual gameshop acquaintances I played a similar product for 4e when it very first came out because we were all excited to play the new game and didn't want to wait for the time it'd take to make characters and figure out the rules and stuff, since we got hands on the game in the game shop, as we met each other for the day, and it'd take too much of our time together to make characters. These days, with longer running games with groups of friends and more out of game communication I don't think I'd use such a product, but I can imagine that people in a similar setting would play it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: December 17, 2018, 07:01:48 pm »

Yeah, GM's new and is feeling a bit overwhelmed keeping PHB details in his head, plus he knows most of the group are also inexperienced and he doesn't want to make things overly complicated for them either. Plus plus he's dead set on the dreadful idea of weaving this upcoming campaign into the other campaign he's been running for a while, so that the two parties will influence each others' worlds, which means you can't really have different books for them... Those at least are the reasons I'm aware of offhand. I'll ask him about 5etools next time I talk with him.

As for pirate types, I completely forgot another important option... Roll up a monk and play the ship's cook!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: December 18, 2018, 12:20:57 am »

As for pirate types, I completely forgot another important option... Roll up a monk and play the ship's cook!
That's good, because that's one of the classes that I had trouble coming up with a good idea for.

So, yeah, it's somewhat harder to fully realize a concept when limited to just PHB, but even if you don't have the exact right tool for the job, having a tool that will still do the job, just not as well, is still pretty good. So, here are some ideas I have for making the PHB classes piratical, or at least vaguely nautical. You'll probably want to also take the pirate or sailor background with these, and can probably take whatever race you prefer or need to enhance the build.

1. Barbarian: Honestly, a berserker isn't bad for a general brawler tough guy pirate, but I think the best theming here comes from eagle totem. When you take it at 3rd level, it gives you a lot of mobility and skirmishing ability that works well for a swashbuckling combat style. And at 6th level, it gives you great long range eyesight, perfect for someone who spends a lot of time at sea. Then, if you make it to 14th level, you get a limited flight ability, which can effectively be considered some sort of fantastic jumping ability if you want. It's either this or an aggro or a knockdown ability.

2. Bard: The nice thing about bards is that they have some capability in both weapon combat and spellcasting, and they can also take a few spells from other spell lists. As you've mentioned, you can either go Lore and do insult sword fighting, or go Valor and do actual sword fighting. I don't have much more to add, other than to share the spell list for a 15th level pirate-themed valor bard I made for a previous campaign.
Spoiler: Pirate spells (click to show/hide)

3. Cleric: I'll keep this short and say you probably want Tempest domain. Possibly Trickery instead if you want to play more of a trickstery bastard, but, yeah, this one isn't too complicated.

4. Druid: Circle of Land: Coast works pretty well for this, especially since there's nothing about it that says you actually have to be anywhere near a coast to use it. Alternatively, if you want to focus on turning into sea creatures, there's Circle of the Moon (you can still turn into them as a Land Druid, you're just not as good at it).

5. Fighter: Probably your best bet is to go Battlemaster and be the sort of pirate who uses a bunch of fancy tricks in combat to mess with your opponent. Most of the abilities are even named for fencing maneuvers, so this is a pretty good fit.

6. Monk: I personally didn't have any great ideas for monk, just going Four Elements and taking water and/or air abilities to focus on the sea theme.

7. Paladin: Paladins in the PHB really do not fit the pirate ideal. Vengeance is probably the only one that could possibly get away with being a pirate without breaking their oath.

8. Ranger: The matter of favored terrain has been discussed already and I really don't care to get into it. If you want to actually be competent, go Hunter. Theoretically you could go Beast Master and ride some sea beast, but, for some reason, they limited your beast to medium size at best, so you'd have to be large, and the only creatures in the Monster Manual with swim speed under the maximum challenge rating are giant crab, giant frog, and giant poisonous snake. If you can get your DM to allow creatures from Volo's Guide, there's also a dimetrodon and dolphin. Of those, probably only giant crab and dolphin make any sense. And, if you're limited to just core, then I guess congratulations on your giant crab companion.

9. Rogue: Swashbuckler is basically the ideal pirate rogue, but, if you only have PHB, a Thief can somewhat fill its place, with good mobility from Second Story Work and other abilities let them use their wits and subterfuge. Or you can be an Assassin if you like killing things before they react and dressing up, which I suppose can describe certain pirates.

10. Sorcerer: Since Storm Sorcerer is out, I suppose the most piratical option in the PHB is Wild Mage. Mostly focus on the idea of superstition and altering luck, along with adding thematic spells if you can.

11. Warlock: Yeah, I don't know, maybe go Great Old One and say your patron lives under the sea? Or maybe Fiend could work, since I think some pirates were thought to have some connection to hell. You at least have good access to spells involving tentacles.

12. Wizard: No option for wizard really calls out pirate explicitly, but you could probably make any School work. I suppose Diviner is good if you want a fortune teller sort of pirate or Necromancy if you want to be a voodoo priest. Probably the best thing for a pirate is the spell list, though you can probably take what you need of it as a bard.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: December 18, 2018, 01:04:11 am »

Yeah, GM's new and is feeling a bit overwhelmed keeping PHB details in his head
There's really no need to memorize all of the game's options. Even mechanics can be looked up as needed, though all of those aside from a few optional UA things are core anyway

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: December 18, 2018, 04:10:47 am »

A monk of the way of the Shadow is practically a ninja, perfect for a pirate campaign.

I agree that paladin is tricky to make into a pirate, though the oath of the Ancients could maybe be a sort of CG "freedom of the seas" concept.

If you're weird and think a ranger riding a giant crab isn't awesome, you can grab a raven and call it a parrot, and also do that with any character that gets a familiar. A blood hawk also makes an interesting option. Look to the flying companions as well as the aquatic.

Transmuter wizard, ship carpenter. Can work with iron like it's wood, and vice versa, to create seamless wooden ships and carve some extra cannonballs in a stern chase.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: December 18, 2018, 04:15:32 am »

Apparently Classic Traveller's gone free (I wanna say again? I know I got it for free earlier and I think it might have not free sometime after that). Anyway, even if you don't plan to play, pick it up so you can see for yourself the game where you can die in character creation before the game even starts!
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: December 18, 2018, 04:28:10 am »

I feel like paladin could do pretty well as a pirate hunter, an officer hell-bent on ridding the sea of the uncouth rogues. Oath of Vengeance with "pirates" as your sworn enemy.

With paladin MAD-ness basically necessitating the use of heavy armor, it kinda fits in a bit with the different methodisms and equipment naval officers would use as opposed to the more casual, every-man-for-himself pirates. At least, that's my take on it. Wearing full chain on a boat is still kind of a bad idea.

Not really a pirate, but pirate-adjacent. Much like sea-witches.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: December 18, 2018, 04:34:58 am »

Paladin MADness? You only need charisma and strength or dexterity, as well as a non-dumped constitution for your primary party roles. A dexterity-based paladin in light armour is very viable.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: December 18, 2018, 04:36:43 am »

A monk of the way of the Shadow is practically a ninja, perfect for a pirate campaign.

What? Ninjas and pirates are opposites and sworn enemies of each other.
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: December 18, 2018, 04:39:40 am »

Yes, but there we have the Drizzt-clone rebel-against-their-own-kind character.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: December 19, 2018, 06:48:28 am »

If you're weird and think a ranger riding a giant crab isn't awesome, you can grab a raven and call it a parrot, and also do that with any character that gets a familiar. A blood hawk also makes an interesting option. Look to the flying companions as well as the aquatic.

This is a hilarious bit too. Just have every NPC ask about the raven and the PC angrily insist it's a rare black parrot.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: December 19, 2018, 07:17:34 am »

"Norwegian Black Metal Parrot"
Love, scriver~

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: December 19, 2018, 08:30:58 am »

I'm currently playing Exalted with a Tyrant Lizard familiar (T-rex) It spits poison and has 6 limbs, but someone pointed out we're hitting a power milestone soon, at which point I'll be able to give it wings, and then I really will have a dragon as a pet.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: December 19, 2018, 08:32:44 am »

I'm currently playing Exalted with a Tyrant Lizard familiar (T-rex) It spits poison and has 6 limbs, but someone pointed out we're hitting a power milestone soon, at which point I'll be able to give it wings, and then I really will have a dragon as a pet.
Suddenly and in no way at all related to the quoted post I am interested in Exalted.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 623