Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 921383 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: The Barren Snowflake Wastes
« Reply #6135 on: November 09, 2018, 09:55:58 am »

The problem with sentient magic items is that their specific mechanical properties are explicitly a matter of DM fiat, as is whether or not players can create them at all. Since some forms of telepathy in 5e require the subjects to share a language, others only require that they speak a language, and still others just require that they have an Int score, whether or not items can work as animal translators is effectively outside the rules.

If we're down to DM fiat anyway, we may as well just ask to play a talking dog or whatever directly.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: November 09, 2018, 10:41:53 am »

AH HAH--

https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/helm-of-comprehending-languages

BINGO.

That one seems to be in the base DMG item list. :D  Put that sucker on the critter, and ask them politely to read the +2 int buff book.

(Or, put it on the creature, dominate them with dominate creature, then command them to activate the helm and read said book, in that order.)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:46:46 am by wierd »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: November 09, 2018, 11:23:22 am »

AH HAH--

https://www.dndbeyond.com/magic-items/helm-of-comprehending-languages

BINGO.

That one seems to be in the base DMG item list. :D  Put that sucker on the critter, and ask them politely to read the +2 int buff book.

(Or, put it on the creature, dominate them with dominate creature, then command them to activate the helm and read said book, in that order.)

This is how Utahraptors with knowledge they aren't meant to have and are supremely pissed about being forced to know are born.

... New BBEG idea!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: November 09, 2018, 11:59:42 am »

The costs of how to train your dragon dinosaur are going to be extraordinary.  The helm is uncommon, and the skill book is rare.  Creating the needed items with the create wondrous item feat is going to be hella expensive, and getting them from a store is going to be very much DM discretion...  (most likely NO, if they know what you are planning. This has "DM headache" written all over it.)

But, I suppose this DOES satisfy the original question--- how to awaken an animal without the Awakened feat, using core rules, though.  The resulting animal will not be able to speak though, only understand and read.  I will find a way for them to speak as well... give me a bit.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: November 09, 2018, 12:03:43 pm »

The resulting animal will not be able to speak though, only understand and read.  I will find a way for them to speak as well... give me a bit.

Only by virtue of the helm, I'm afraid. Languages are no longer tied to Int, but to race and background, so a dog with Int 3+ still has no way of nonmagically understanding anything but barking.

EDIT: You'll also need to go the Dominate Monster route, since the creature can't understand how to activate the magic item that lets it understand your request. That means using six ninth-level spell slots over six days and hoping it never passes a Wisdom saving throw or, less likely still, getting multiple level 17+ wizards to work together and give up a once-in-a-century +2 int to an animal.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:07:23 pm by Trekkin »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: November 09, 2018, 12:10:10 pm »

Clearly, we must train the dog until it attains one level of barkbard.

Then the dog can act as an intermediary between us and the raptors.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: November 09, 2018, 12:15:02 pm »

I would think similar rules for playing an outsider, or a monster (like a mind flayer) could be used for playing a more mundane animal, at least to get it some character levels in a profession. 

Once it gets a few levels, it can take a standard feat, like linguist, and then bob's your uncle.

Gives you 3 languages straight up (and should thus grant ability to talk), and 1 int.

Linguist

You have studied languages and codes, gaining the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
    You learn three languages of your choice.
    You can ably create written ciphers. Others can't decipher a code you create unless you teach them, they succeed on an Intelligence check (DC equal to your Intelligence score + your proficiency bonus), or they use magic to decipher it.

The helm is a gateway drug. :D
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:19:53 pm by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: November 09, 2018, 12:19:19 pm »

Clearly, we must train the dog until it attains one level of barkbard.

Then the dog can act as an intermediary between us and the raptors.

Bard might not be the best choice, as dogs have 7 charisma. They'd make better druids, with 12 Wis.

Thus, at second level, we have a dog that can magically transform into a dog.

EDIT: Yeah, Linguist would work once you get it trained. Might be easier to get past a DM with something like a raven, for mimicry.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: November 09, 2018, 12:57:11 pm »

You could hit them with Tongues instead of Dominate Monster.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tongues#content

Does not grant ability to read, but the helm does.  While under the influence of Tongues, its barking is magically intelligible to intelligent creatures. (so, it can speak, after a fashion.)  It can then understand the request to activate the helm.

That is only a 3rd level spell.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: November 09, 2018, 01:49:25 pm »

You could hit them with Tongues instead of Dominate Monster.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Tongues#content

Does not grant ability to read, but the helm does.  While under the influence of Tongues, its barking is magically intelligible to intelligent creatures. (so, it can speak, after a fashion.)  It can then understand the request to activate the helm.

That is only a 3rd level spell.
Well, if we're assuming our hypothetical caster can convince an animal to spend eight hours a day doing memory and logic exercises (absent the puppeteer mode of Dominate Monster), then they may as well use Speak with Animals, which is a 1st level spell. Activating the helm is presumably a small task.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: November 09, 2018, 01:55:21 pm »

It depends on the relationship between the wiz and the creature, sure.

Also, if there are any treats involved.  Dogs put up with a lot of shit learning stupid tricks for treats.

Also, we really only need 1hr a day, since we have several WEEKS we can spend, and still satisfy the requirements for the book with time to spare.

There's all kinds of fun that can be had with the animal while under the influence of Tongues, that would be fun for both master and creature, especially if there are other apprentices involved.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 01:59:00 pm by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: November 09, 2018, 02:01:32 pm »

Also, we really only need 1hr a day, since we have several WEEKS we can spend, and still satisfy the requirements for the book with time to spare.

How do you figure that? The entry for the Tome of Clear Thought says a creature needs to spend 48 hours studying it and practicing its guidelines over a period of 6 days or less.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: November 09, 2018, 02:05:19 pm »

You are right, I must have misremembered. 

However, 4 hrs a day will do it in the 6 day window exactly.  The 4 hours need not be contiguous.  There could be breaks, and playtime.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: November 09, 2018, 10:53:40 pm »

I would think similar rules for playing an outsider, or a monster (like a mind flayer) could be used for playing a more mundane animal, at least to get it some character levels in a profession. 

Once it gets a few levels, it can take a standard feat, like linguist, and then bob's your uncle.

Gives you 3 languages straight up (and should thus grant ability to talk), and 1 int.

Linguist

You have studied languages and codes, gaining the following benefits:

Increase your Intelligence score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
    You learn three languages of your choice.
    You can ably create written ciphers. Others can't decipher a code you create unless you teach them, they succeed on an Intelligence check (DC equal to your Intelligence score + your proficiency bonus), or they use magic to decipher it.

The helm is a gateway drug. :D
That'll take at least 4th level, since RAW the only way to get a feat before then is to be a Variant Human. However, there are other options.

Assuming we can't use backgrounds (because that's too easy), going through the classes in order, the first one that will give you a language is a Cleric of Knowledge Domain. It feels kind of iffy that any god would not only accept such an abomination against nature but also make them a chosen instrument of their divine will, but I suppose if any god would, it would likely be a god of knowledge.

Next, as a technical qualifier, is Druid, which grants proficiency with the Druidic language. It has very few speakers, but it's something. Also, Wildshape could potentially be used to transform into something with better communicative abilities, such as cranium rats, which can communicate telepathically.

So long as we qualify the goal to be a language before 4th level, Fighter is next at 3rd level, with both Cavalier and Samurai granting the ability to learn either some sort of skill or a language. Either sounds fantastic with a deinonychus, but I think Cavalier is the more hilarious option, because it's explicitly made for mounted combat.

After that, we skip a couple until we get to Ranger, which may be my favorite option, because it gains it's language through Favored Enemy, or, in other words, it hates someone or a group so much that it learns a language out of pure spite. Honestly, this seems very fitting for the subject in question.

After that is Rogue, which like Druid has is a technical qualifier with Thieves' Cant, so it can only talk with shady individuals, and it takes 4 times longer to communicate an idea that usual. Then, at 3rd level, it can pick up 2 languages by becoming a Mastermind (which is hilariously ironic, considering it will likely have am incredibly low intelligence barring a considerable investment in Tomes of Clear Thought).

Then there's Sorcerer of the Storm Sorcery origin, which just gives you access to Primordial. So you can speak with elementals and people who know Primordial. So possibly only slightly better than 1st level Druid or Rogue.

Warlock doesn't seem to actually grant any actual speaking ability, but it's very good for telepathy and reading. So the most direct way to go is form a pact with a Great Old One to pick up at will telepathy at level 1. Then, at level 2, when you first learn invocations, you might as well pick up Eyes of the Rune Keeper, so you can read ALL the language. Then, at level 3, when you get to pick up a Pact Boon, Chain is a pretty good option, since you can pick up a familiar capable of speaking Common for you (or a Pseudodragon to extend your telepathic communication to 100 feet).

And then I guess that's it (I thought there might be something in Wizard, but the closest is Divination School gaining the ability to be able to read all languages at level 10).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: November 10, 2018, 12:47:13 am »

The plan I had in mind, involved "downtime gain +2int", with "Quest companion" that gets Tongues cast on it regularly. That way it could work as the wizard's protector and confidant, without being an actual familiar.

It could thus rely on the attending wizard, (and the rest of the party if applicable), to gain requisite experience.  If the rest of the party is at pretty high level, the XP gain per encounter would be absurd, and as long as it participates in some fashion in the encounter, it should get a slice.   It could theoretically reach level 4 fairly quickly if put into a high level party, and used wisely.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 623