Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918673 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #4740 on: November 29, 2017, 04:03:24 pm »

So any suggestions for an eldertich knight fighter in 5E? Like spell or strategy wise?
Here.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4741 on: November 29, 2017, 05:35:51 pm »

I will say that I have almost no play experience with me or anyone in my group playing an Eldritch Knight, but from seeing Arcane Tricksters (which have the same spell progression) played, I'll say: don't think of yourself as a magic-user who can fight so much as a fighter with some magic tricks up your sleeve.

Depending on whether you want to go for a melee build or a ranged and/or finesse build, you'll want to focus on either Strength or Dexterity. You probably don't want to focus on Intelligence too much (I've even heard of some builds that don't boost Intelligence at all, preferring to use spells that don't have saves or attack rolls, but that may not be the best), since spells probably won't be your main mode of attack, since you don't have spell slots to spam damage like a full spellcaster, and cantrip damage pales in comparison to weapon attacks, especially from a fighter, who gets the most weapon attacks of any class. And, even though you generally shouldn't spam spells as an Eldritch Knight, I will point out that Action Surge puts and Eldritch Knight in the unique position of being able to cast the same spell twice on the same target(s) in a single turn, so, once you can cast Fireball, and you really need to make a lot of things dead for sure, you can.

As for spells, you have to pick from abjuration or evocation for the most part, with the occasion few picks from other schools. The way I like to sort out which ones can be taken is this site, though you can also use the official WotC app site, which will give you a bit more information about the different spells and includes spells from sourcebooks like Xanathar's Guide, though you'll need to use advanced filters to be able to filter by spell school.

Shield is definitely a good spell to take, since, though you have very limited spell slots, being able to take any attack that would have been a hit and turn it into a miss is invaluable, and getting a significant bonus to your AC until the start of your next turn makes it even better. Being able to stop magic missiles is going to be pretty situational, but very nice when it happens.

Eldritch Knights can cast Magic Missile, but I'm not sure if it's the best spell to take, since it does so little damage by spell level, and is only really good against things that have a lot of armor but not a lot of hit points, or in the case that you just really need to make sure you hit your target.

Fireball, as mentioned above, is really nice, or really anything that can hit a lot of targets and do some damage even if they save (though Fireball is probably the best at this).

A thing to definitely keep in mind is cantrips. Don't go for the most damaging cantrips, as cantrip progression for the most part follows Fighter Extra Attack progression, and your weapon attacks should do more damage than even the most damaging cantrips. Instead, it's better to go for spells with utility, especially since, from 7th level on, you still get to make an attack as a bonus action when you cast a cantrip. So you can use things like Shocking Grasp to take away your enemy's reaction, Ray of Frost to slow someone down, or Blade Barrier to halve weapon attacks. Plus, since the cantrips aren't limited by school, you could take Minor Illusion and create illusions while you fight, or Chill Touch to stop someone from healing or make it harder for undead to hit you, or Prestidigitation to clean your pants after you soil yourself in battle. If you have access to spells outside of the Players Handbook, you can use Create Bonfire to light a fire under you enemy's ass; or Green-Flame Blade to do a melee weapon attack, and, if it hits, do damage not only to your opponent, but to another enemy next to them. Or Booming Blade, which can also be used with melee weapon attacks, and can either be used to keep enemies close to you under the threat of taking lots of damage, or you can use something like the Mobile Feat to avoid taking opportunity attacks (or take them, if you're brave enough), move out of the enemy's melee weapon range, and they either have to stay in place or risk taking damage (doesn't work so great against people with ranged attacks).

I suppose that's a decent enough start. If you want a more in-depth look, you can probably Google something like "Eldritch Knight 5e Build Guide" for more of a breakdown of various spells and such.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: November 29, 2017, 05:54:54 pm »

Intresting, thanks.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: November 30, 2017, 06:21:24 pm »

Be careful with spells like Fireball, in case your DM is the kind to make fireballs destroy treasure.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: December 05, 2017, 10:56:08 am »

I've been looking through Unearthed Arcana and optimizing.

If you are a 11 level mystic/3rd level Battle Master, you can have a reach with a halberd of 35[5+Halberd's Reach(+5)+Lunging Attack(+5)+Focus on Giant Growth(+5)+Ogre Form(+5)+Giant Form(+10).

And I have so far found a maximum Persuasion check of 70, without use of magic items.
With a die roll of 1 on all rolls, this method would still give you a 28.
To get 70, you would need a half-elf 3rd level Redeemer/1st level Mystic/8th level fighter+5 other levels.
You would start with a 14 in Cha, and 15 in Int. Thanks to being a half-elf, that goes up to 16 Cha, 16 Int. Use your three ASI from fighter levels to raise that to 20 Cha, 18 INt.
As a Mystic, focus on Mantle of Awe, and use Precognitive Hunch to give 2+1d4 to Persuasion checks.
Use Emissary of Peace to get +5 to Persuasion checks.
Get double profiency with Persuasion, somehow.
Have a 17th level person succesfully use the Historian feat on you.
Have Guidance, a cantrip, cast on you.
Have a high level bard use Bardic Inspiration on you.
After all that, you will have a Persuasion check of 1d20+6+6+6+5+5+1d4+1d4+1d12+2.
Not that I'm sure that is actually worth the effort.

You can also at 17th level get a passive perception of 37.
Have 20 Int, 20 Cha, 1 level of Warlock(Raven Queen), the Observant feat, and Expertise in Perception, if Expertise can double passive Perception, anyway.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: December 05, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »

I'm not at all familiar with the Mystic UA, but skimming it I think you'd "only" get 30ft reach max, as Ogre Form and Giant Form both appear to be concentration.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: December 05, 2017, 06:18:22 pm »

And thats why multiclassing is explicitly suggested as shouldn't be allowed with UA stuff.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: December 05, 2017, 06:27:20 pm »

the gm can always say “you aren’t allowed to do that”
Black lives matter.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: December 06, 2017, 02:38:17 pm »

I'm not at all familiar with the Mystic UA, but skimming it I think you'd "only" get 30ft reach max, as Ogre Form and Giant Form both appear to be concentration.
An 11th level mystic can use the special psi points to concentrate on multiple stuff at a time, as long at it comes to only 9 psi points total, and Ogre Form and Giant Form come to 9 psi total.
And thats why multiclassing is explicitly suggested as shouldn't be allowed with UA stuff.
I suppose, but the munchkin in me refuses to care that most DMs wouldn't allow it.
the gm can always say “you aren’t allowed to do that”
why is this crossed out?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: December 06, 2017, 05:22:20 pm »

it was mostly a joke
Black lives matter.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: December 06, 2017, 05:35:20 pm »

It is correct however, Rule 0 is an absolute necessity if you really want to keep the game rolling.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: December 06, 2017, 05:39:03 pm »

Yeah, it's always weird when people talk about how specific items/weapons/spells/class abilities (iron fucking heart surge) are """overpowered""" when literally all the GM has to say is "No, you can't stack seven +5 bonuses to the same skill." and you're done.
Black lives matter.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: December 07, 2017, 06:51:28 am »

Relying on a GM to balance the game is just as likely to make a game even more unbalanced as to fix problems with it. Additionally, internet discussions can't have someone arbitrate everything, so discussions have to be performed with what is written in the books (or what was intended to be written in the books, but whatever that was is frequently not obvious).

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: December 07, 2017, 07:48:23 am »

Yeah, it's always weird when people talk about how specific items/weapons/spells/class abilities (iron fucking heart surge) are """overpowered""" when literally all the GM has to say is "No, you can't stack seven +5 bonuses to the same skill." and you're done.

Yes, the GM has final say - but the rules themselves should already prevent excessively powerful combinations.

Unless the GM is intimiately familiar with every class, weapon, item and skill, it might be realised until it's already being used, and it's sure as hell not fun for the player when their shiny toy is taken away - especially if they've already gotten used to it.

There also comes to mind things that look very powerful at first glance - like the 3.5e Favoured Soul - which actually turn out to be balanced quite alright.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: December 07, 2017, 01:57:42 pm »

I've thought about this some more, and no multi-classing UA stuff is required.
The mystic can still get a reach of 35 without levels of Battle Master, through the Martial Adept feat.
The warlock didn't need to multiclass in the first place to get passive perception 37.
Without the mystic, the redeemer's max Persuasion check is still 64. With some preparation, but all natural ones, it is 25. All natural ones, no preparation, it is still 18. If he multi classes into having 10th level Rogue, the absolute minimum is 27. If he instead takes enough Bard levels to use Glibness, and uses it, but otherwise has no preparation, and all natural ones, assuming I remember what Glibness does correctly, his check is 32. Please note, the redeemer is no longer UA, so I can multiclass with him.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 623