Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918659 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Arthropoid Martial Arts!
« Reply #4725 on: November 22, 2017, 02:56:27 pm »

I was talking about the feat, Dual-wielder which always you to dual-wield non-light one handed weapons. If you are mounted, you can dual-wield lances.
A 5th level Battle Master can attack once, and expend his second attack for Commander's Strike.
Since he can attack only once, he might as well wield a heavy crossbow. So total damage from these two fifth level creatures, assuming a dexterity of 16, sneak attack for 5th level being 3d6, the assassin is a Half-Orc wielding two rappers, and all attacks hitting, would be 3d8+6d6+3+3d8+5d8+6d6+3+1d10+3, for a minimum of 36 damage.
With two 5th level assassins with Martial Adept, drop the 1d10+3.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4726 on: November 22, 2017, 03:03:13 pm »

Half Orc Assassin: I swing Eminem first then Ice Cube...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4727 on: November 22, 2017, 03:11:33 pm »

Yeah, you could do that, but then if you're a half-orc with a feat your maximum Dex is actually only 15 at that point, which isn't very good at 5th level for a rogue of any kind, I shouldn't think, whereas the variant human gets the feat and a +1 to Dex and one other attribute (followed by dialing the Dex up to 18 at 4th) which puts it slightly ahead of the curve for general purposes as opposed to purely during ambushes unless you think it terribly wise to max your strength as well as your dexterity specifically for weapons stuff.

Although if you do play in a game that allows for a lot of creativity in approaching combat encounters you could theoretically pull off a lot of ambushes, so playing a dual-wielding half orc assassin might pay off in that case. Still seems like a fairly suboptimal path to go for what is in effect 2d8 extra damage about once a session under ideal circumstances.

Half Orc Assassin: I swing Eminem first then Ice Cube...

But you only get two shots, so do not miss your chance to blow

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4728 on: November 22, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »

I suppose that makes sense, but why did you say the max is 15 at that point? The max at that point is 18. And it would deal 3d8 extra damage for being a half-Orc, as he attacks thrice. And that extra 1d8 damage is every time he crits, which with two attacks is about 1/10th of the time. Admittedly, it is only worth it if you get a lot of opportunity to surprise people.

Again does a PC with racial flight get extra flight speed from being a monk/barbarian?
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4729 on: November 22, 2017, 04:14:37 pm »

My battle master PC is an archer, so he actually might make some stealth checks.
By the way, this probably works even better with a Half-Orc assassin with Dual-wielder.
He gets to to stab for 3d8+6d6+4, then 3d8, then 5d8+6d6+4. Although, you have to remember that Commander's Strike uses up one of the Commander's attacks, so they can't both hit someone at the same time if they are both assassins.

Yeah, sadly for the cause of exploitation two assassins shouting at each other for large amounts of damage to the poor bastard caught in between is not rules legal (sadly dual wielding takes a bonus action to do, otherwise you could drop the second attack for the Commander's Strike). An archer deciding not to shoot but instead telling the assassin to stab harder, however, looks to be perfectly in keeping with the rules, so that's pretty good.

And yeah, suppose dual wielding does give half-orcs a bit of an edge, though it won't be a 3d8 because rapiers aren't light weapons. At best it'd be a scimitar or shortsword for 3d6, I think.
Don't rapiers count as light weapons for the purpose of feats, though?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4730 on: November 22, 2017, 04:16:57 pm »

I think only for weapon finesse
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4731 on: November 22, 2017, 04:42:17 pm »

I suppose that makes sense, but why did you say the max is 15 at that point? The max at that point is 18. And it would deal 3d8 extra damage for being a half-Orc, as he attacks thrice. And that extra 1d8 damage is every time he crits, which with two attacks is about 1/10th of the time. Admittedly, it is only worth it if you get a lot of opportunity to surprise people.

I'm assuming point buy as the default character system of choice (mostly because it's a standardized point to start from) which has an outright maximum starting stat of 15 before racial modifiers. It also somewhat coincides with the usual maximum value you can expect to roll if you prefer to do stats that way*. So for a half-orc built with point buy, their racial bonuses not allowing for that all-important Dex increase, the maximum Dex value by level 4 (assuming the single ability score improvement is spent on Dual Wielder, itself a questionable choice when the difference between a 1d6 and 1d8 is something like a +1, or a +3 on a hypothetical half-orc crit) would normally be 15 unless you're houseruling something in character creation, compared to the 18 Dex a variant human could have or the 19 an elf might have.

Of course, not being able to build a character with an 18 in a stat is probably my least favorite part of 5E's point buy, considering how it tends to pigeonhole folks into playing a particular race to get their stat bonuses to line up just right.

* - checking now and it turns out the average roll on 4d6 drop lowest for six abilities is roughly 16, 14, 13, 12, 10, 9, which is disappointingly one better where it counts.

Don't rapiers count as light weapons for the purpose of feats, though?

They're considered light weapons in 3.5 to specifically give them an in for Weapon Finesse, but in 5E finesse is an inherent property of a weapon type that works like a combination of agile (Dex to damage) and light + Weapon Finesse (Dex to attack rolls, no feat required), to clear up any confusion. One of the nice touches of 5E to counterbalance my gripes about the point buy.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4732 on: November 22, 2017, 04:57:16 pm »

Ah, it's different in 5E. Gotcha.

I still have no idea what's different about 5E, other than that some people seem to like it (as opposed to 4E, which I seem to be the only fan of :P ).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4733 on: November 22, 2017, 05:54:28 pm »

Again does a PC with racial flight get extra flight speed from being a monk/barbarian?
Yes
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4734 on: November 23, 2017, 03:21:59 pm »

Which can make for some funny situations, especially where multiclassed druids are concerned. Throw in some longstrider and you can end up with land whales, turbo digger giant badgers and giant octopi running around as fast as normal PCs. To put the real stupidity factor up a notch, get the Mariner fighting style in there somehow and everything that could conceivably climb or swim, now can.

I'm seriously eyeing off a Tabaxi druid for my next character just for such shenanigans. 
It's a game. Have fun.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4735 on: November 23, 2017, 06:46:18 pm »

Druid shape is limited in that you can only use features if your new shape would be physically capable of doing so. So you can't make a land whale (since a whale doesn't have a walking speed. Actually, I'm not sure that there is a whale entry in 5e yet, but the dolphin entry in Volo's Guide is a good enough indicator of what a whale's walking speed would be), but the increase to speed could allow it to swim very fast, or a giant badger to dig very fast, or a giant octopus to run fast (since octopi have a walking speed).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4736 on: November 29, 2017, 06:32:50 am »

And we all died.

We're playing Savage World Ripper. We're in the middle of a desert, 2 weeks out from civilation. Well not real Civilation, Cario doesn't count, but you know as a Brit, about the world you do with what you have.

So were we left off we were fighting this Mummy, which we stuck a stick of dynamite to its head, and one of the PC kill themselves to try and let us escape. And we couldnt escape. We had to climb a rope, and we couldnt climb a rope. Rope climbing is the most damable thing in RPG games.  So yea. So the Mummy caught up with us, and manage to shop us from climbing up.
And one of the NPCs died. And through sheer attrition and bad GM rolls we manage to overcome this mummy. So we climb up the rope, we manage to overcome the rock door, and then another fucking fucking mummy. But we manage to recover this ring from the previous mummy.

Anyway, so we walk in the opening chamber and the mummy is talking to us, and I go, "What do you fucking want?" And it says, "You killed my wife" As the last mummy we killed was a lady mummy. My response was, "I've killed lots of wives. Can you be particular?" And then I was incapicated again. And we manage to barely defeat this mummy, because the special ring one off the mummy.

So we try to travel back to town through the desert without enoug food. None of us tracking, so we cant navigate at all. So we try to do it. We cant. We all starve to death in the desert, 3 days from town. We all died. New characters for next week game.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:37:11 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4737 on: November 29, 2017, 02:19:06 pm »

lol
Black lives matter.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4738 on: November 29, 2017, 02:35:38 pm »

So any suggestions for an eldertich knight fighter in 5E? Like spell or strategy wise?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 02:38:34 pm by MidnightJaguar »
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4739 on: November 29, 2017, 03:05:24 pm »

If Eldritch Knights can cast Magic Missile, definitely do that, as it is an automatic hit.
Shield is a decent defensive spell.
Maybe take the War Caster feat. If you do that, maybe take the Polearm Expert feat.
Hmm... Sorry, I don't know enough about Eldritch Knights to help any further.
Sigtext!
The Pikachu revolution!

Pages: 1 ... 314 315 [316] 317 318 ... 623