Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 918538 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: Axes or railguns?
« Reply #4500 on: October 12, 2017, 07:27:51 pm »

I dislike the notion that "extremist warhammer paladin zealots" is the "classic" Paladin.
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:11 pm »

I agree in that paladins aren't "cleanse purge kill", they're "help defend and be honorable".  And kinda have a stick about those things.  Even when the honor part is inconvenient.

Or whatever the variant versions are.  Really, better to be a warpriest or something if you aren't LG.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: October 12, 2017, 07:34:32 pm »

I feel like you should be able to have paladins of any alignment, though a lot of them would probably work differently to LG ones. There are gods for every alignment, and any god could want to have a few holy warriors knocking around.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: October 12, 2017, 07:37:03 pm »

Agreed. Classic LG paladins act the way they do because they're serving gods who want LG followers. It's circular to say that there just shouldn't be paladins for every other kind of god because it's that way, especially when no other class does this. It's a lot like the crazy 2nd edition requirements to class into bard, opening that up made the class better, not worse.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: October 12, 2017, 07:38:27 pm »

I feel like you should be able to have paladins of any alignment, though a lot of them would probably work differently to LG ones. There are gods for every alignment, and any god could want to have a few holy warriors knocking around.
Agreed. Classic LG paladins act the way they do because they're serving gods who want LG followers. It's circular to say that there just shouldn't be paladins for every other kind of god because it's that way, especially when no other class does this. It's a lot like the crazy 2nd edition requirements to class into bard, opening that up made the class better, not worse.

Yes, but that reduces paladins to their mechanics of "fighty guy with divine magic", rather than reducing them to their origin of "knight errant/questing knight devoted to the chivalric code" a la the romantic knight tales of the late medieval/post-medieval times.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: October 12, 2017, 07:40:56 pm »

I see no reason why neutral or evil gods should not have questing knights, especially the lawful ones. The code in question just comes down to the beliefs of the god.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: October 12, 2017, 07:43:25 pm »

(And the chaotic and neutral good gods!)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: October 12, 2017, 07:53:29 pm »

Every god does have clerics, and several more options with Complete Divine.  I've always seen Paladins as more than just "fighter-clerics".  The alignment and code requirements are only slightly more than what's required of the monk, who also receives various powers from adhering to a strict code.

Maybe "always lawful" would suit me better than "always LG [or always extreme]".  But the alternate options always struck me as blackguards.  Including Paladin of Tyranny and Paladin of Freedom.  Paladin of Slaughter is just a compulsive murderer, has nothing to do with the class. 

Don't make me post Spoony discussing "What's a paladin?" :P

Okay okay, thing is there are lots of options for playing a fighter-cleric who's zealously devoted to a cause.  They aren't literally called "paladin", and don't get the VERY specific special abilities paladins get.  They get other things.

There's also no way to play a monk of chaos.  But there are classes about unarmed strike which aren't about fanatic dedication to law.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: October 12, 2017, 08:18:22 pm »

Spoony might be a better authority if he'd posted anything in the last two years.

I maintain that a fighter-cleric with a code of devotion and a paladin have no difference in either fluff or crunch that bears respecting. Why not just do it if you're going to take it that far? Hell, blackguards are only really different from paladins in that they try to defile the code instead of obeying it, while an evil paladin would have a code from an evil god.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: October 12, 2017, 08:30:39 pm »

I'm talking 3.5e, I don't think there have been significant advances in the last two years :P
Though he was talking about Ultima, not 3.5e, so fair.

I mostly agree, but I'll just say, clerics get THREE QUARTERS BAB and heavy armor.  While being spellcasters on par with wizards.  Similar power (and full access to every non-alignment-restricted divine spell every morning!), and they're still as good in a fight as a freakin rogue.  Having UMD as a class skill doesn't really match being a mainline caster with NO spell failure from armor.  Also... being able to wear real armor.

Clerics *are* fighter-clerics.  Paladins are that, but with very specific strictures.
If you want to be a zealous follower of a god (particularly a death god) and be a warrior who casts, be a cleric.  Or a cleric-fighter, first few fighter levels are pretty dang good.  And you can slap the infidels with negative-energy spells with even more BAB, not that you need it.

Or be a warpriest, a class that exists for that archetype.
She/they

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: October 13, 2017, 01:56:11 am »

Hades is also close enough to Kelemvor ideologically for it to be reasonable to ask your DM if you could take levels in a refluffed Doomguide class, in which case cleric/doomguide would be another alternative for being fighty and divine.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: October 13, 2017, 01:06:12 pm »

I should have been more specific. My paladin's God is Pelor, my paladin is LG, my paladin's parents are a NE half-Orc, and a LE half-ELf, and my character classes are some undecided combination of rogue and paladin, because my character was training to be an assassin before he decided to become good.
The second question, about being a paladin of Hades, was more rhetorical than than the first.
And apparently the people I'm going to be playing with are playing 5E, so factor that into your arguments.
t I'm pretty sure the answer is they cannot.  Mostly on the grounds that elves and orcs cannot have children.  If it did work, I'd expect either or both the non-human natures to be purged, which sounds crazy hard to survive.
When you said this, what exactly does "both the non-human natures to be purged" mean? Being able to mate with orcs, elves, demons, Devils, and Angels hasn't purged the human natures, has it? And what exactly do you mean by the word "nature"? Did you you just mean cultures, and say natures?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:16:28 pm by pikachu17 »
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: October 13, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »

No he means that because elves an orcs are incompatible, only the human halves would be compatible. And the result would be a human baby.
Love, scriver~

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: October 13, 2017, 01:26:27 pm »

Ah, I didn't understand what he meant before.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: October 13, 2017, 01:44:37 pm »

And apparently the people I'm going to be playing with are playing 5E, so factor that into your arguments.

In 5E, paladins are much more flexible. Basically, you choose from 3 oaths: Oath of Devotion, Oath of vengeance, and Oath of Ancients. Oath of Devotion is your typical goodie two shoes Lawful stupid type from previous editions. Oath of Vengeance is about smiting evildoers. You choose a specific evildoer to smite at level 3. Like kobolds, or goblins, or undead. Of course, they don’t have to actually be evildoers. You can be a paladin of vengeance who is devoted to defending the world from the wrath of unicorns if you want. Finally, Oath of ancients is a nature hippie that cares about protecting the world and nature as a whole.

Those are the oaths in the php at least. None of those are specifically geared towards worshipers of an evil god, but I bet you can make vengeance work. You don’t have to though. In the dungeon master’s guide you have the oathbreaker Paladin who is basically the death cleric of paladins. You’re supposed to become an oathbreaker by breaking your Oath and then going on an epic quest to enlist the favour a evil entity or something (such as your god hades), but I bet if you talk with the Dm, you can probably relegate that quest to backstory instead.

EDIT: @ half elf or half orc discussion. I’ll go into this in more detail when I get back to my computer, but a half orc and half elf coupling roughly have a 25% chance for a human baby, 25% chance for half-elf baby, 25% chance for a half-orc baby, and a 25% chance for a miscarriage. I don’t want to break out the cladogram just yet but, just trust me on this.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 01:48:17 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 623