Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 916395 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3525 on: March 27, 2017, 05:25:03 pm »

yeah but then you would have to touch them on their bare skin or otherwise just their clothes are affected
Black lives matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: March 27, 2017, 05:47:13 pm »

Which, depending on the effect, could be just exactly what you want. :P

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: March 27, 2017, 05:58:35 pm »

Shrink Object.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: March 27, 2017, 05:59:46 pm »

Rusting Grasp.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: March 27, 2017, 06:33:29 pm »

Invisibility.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: March 27, 2017, 06:35:52 pm »

levitation.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:44 pm »

Disintegration.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: March 27, 2017, 06:40:19 pm »

burden/increase weight

Yeah-- There's a lot of effects that would be useful when focused on a particular object or part of an object. Precision application could have all kinds of hilarity ensue.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: March 27, 2017, 06:40:52 pm »

Inflict Heavy Wounds
Black lives matter.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: March 27, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »

That would need to be on bare skin to be effective though.  That would be the best way to balance that, as it would be deadly OP otherwise. (allowing a dozen strikes of deal heavy wounds in 1 AP, would be waay too OP in many circumstances. It needs nerfing. Asserting straight up that these weapons only affect what they directly come into contact with is pretty important. Raking a disintegration wand across a shirt of chainmail would disintegrate the rings in the mail, making the shirt fall apart, for instance-- but hitting the monster in the back with it would just cause nasty disintegration burns/lacerations where the wand touched, much like a dagger. Doing the same thing with a deal heavy wounds wand would blow the bad guy apart/cut him in half-- Maybe only give it a handful of charges, and make it slower to use? )
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 06:55:24 pm by wierd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: March 27, 2017, 09:54:57 pm »

Unlimited uses, but it can overheat and melt down, causing everything in the vicinity to become subject to the wand's effect.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: March 28, 2017, 01:51:39 am »

Make it "use collapsible batons that way", and you have a real winner.

Now I want to try making a purely fantasy weapon class of "contact" wand weapons. Basically a magic wand that does not do ray damage, or area damage. Instead, the tip of the wand has a concentrated spell effect, akin to a hot poker-- but with any effect you can accomplish with magic. That way, finesse "drumming" somebody with one could be damned leathal. (I pokey the petrification wand RIGHT HERE, and BAM-- guy is dead instantly.) It is not how hard you hit, it is that you hit at all, and where you hit. Those would be true DEX type magic weapons. Imagine "pinpoint" application of a spell effect, on contact. (If it helps the imagination, a petrification wand of this type would have a small curl of falling dust falling off the end, as the tip of the wand interacts with the air in the room, turning it into stone- etc. Only the material that comes into literal contact with the tip of the wand gets affected.)

I suppose something similar already exists for special poisons on a shortblade, but that still requires actual penetration, which means dealing with armor. This would have the 'on contact' type effect of a touch range spell effect, but not require a magical proficiency from the user, just a weapon class proficiency. (Wands have a fixed effect, and number of contact charges. They are "just on", so dont need active channeling from a spellcaster. When they run out of juice, they need recharging though.)

Probably a silly idea though.  The whole idea is that while they do very little damage on touch, they are dex weapons, and can be used to touch repeatedly and precisely. (Think-- drummer doing a highspeed drumroll on somebody's head, but using these as drumsticks. That's several hundred strikes in one action point.)

Huh.  Neat idea, though hard to balance maybe.  It did get me thinking about similar options that exist within (or near) the rules.

First off, normal wands with touch-attacks sound close...  But aren't really.  RAW, you don't actually poke the enemy with the wand, you simply activate it to gain a touch-attack charge.  Then you have to touch the enemy with your body.  Natural weapons and punches count (even through gloves), but a 10ft pole or a wand would not.  But that's pretty minor.  The main issue is that you can't cast multiple spells using BAB.  That would be potentially OP as heck unless heavily restricted.

I say that, then I find out Duskblades can... sorta.  At level 3 they get Arcane Channeling, which lets them use melee weapons to deliver touch spells (they also avoid AoO for the casting).  At level 13, they can do this as part of a full attack action, and the spell affects everyone they hit that round.  Pretty sweet... even though it doesn't seem to stack up on single targets, uses a spell (from their crappy list), and still has to be melee.  They also have to hit with the melee weapons, overcoming full AC instead of touch AC.  Except that there are rare ways to make your melee weapon attacks against touch AC.  The "brilliant energy" enchantment for +4 basically does that.

Rereading the original idea... it involved bonking someone, several times a round, using dex, without magical ability.  So let's forget the Duskblade thing and just build a weapon:
Code: [Select]
Light mace (qualifies for weapon finesse)
Enchanted with Brilliant Energy for 4, basically making it use touch attacks
Enchanted with some combination of flaming, frost, and shock for +1d6 damage each.
Stack on some plain magical enhancement to further increase bonus damage per hit, and hit chance.
To make it more baton-like, use ironwood.
Make two and dual-wield...  It's going to be hard to miss most targets.  Hell, pick up some extra arms from savage species if possible.

Of course these would be *wildly* expensive and really not worth it, but that's okay :P

Now for some variants that abandon the concept but still sound fun with brilliant energy and dex:
Whip.  Reach weapon that works with weapon finesse.
Daggers.  As throwing weapons, these would be like casting ray spells...  Except outlandishly expensive, but using iterative attacks and reusable.
Quarterstaff, so you could pretend to be Grey Star (a wizard character by Joe Dever who could channel energy into his staff's tip during combat)
Kukri, along with extended crit range, to really make the most of those flaming bursts...  But that's getting way off topic.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: March 28, 2017, 05:13:54 am »

I just had a massive trainwreck of concepts do a total derail inside my head, and the result is something I cannot look away from. I will spoilerize.

Preface: I really enjoy the act of world building-- more than I do playing other people's worlds. If you find something you like, you may steal. I do not mind.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: March 28, 2017, 05:24:50 am »

I'd classify them as aberrations simply for the horror factor of seeing multi-limbed flesh balls rolling around, but your description is too Lawful for that.  Still, the idea of five-bodied starfish people is nightmare fuel.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:31 am »

They borrow from, without actually being, HP Lovecraft's Elder Things, so nightmare fuel is a given. :P
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 623