Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 916272 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #3330 on: February 24, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »

Why are "Actually running the game" guides so uncommon?

I am aware the DM can run the game anyway he wants... but GOODNESS some hints sure would be nice.

The rules and the flow are two entirely different things.
Perhaps this could help. It's got some interesting stuff on game design, adventure design, and other design related issues. His Quantum Ogre series is, IMHO, required reading.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: February 24, 2017, 04:30:58 pm »

One thing I love that SOME RPGs do that I wish more would catch onto...

Is the idea of making stealth not all or nothing.

In Dusk City Dwellers often the penalty for failing stealth is getting more "heat" (which is a vague point system that represents a sort of... People catching onto that something is going on. You cannot entirely avoid heat, but you certainly don't want to generate more then possible). Mind you... Sort of... by often I mean sometimes... kind of...
-Ok I like the idea of how it works inside my own head... rather than how it might be implemented.

Because stealth is so all or nothing in a lot of games they walk the line of being either too risky to attempt... OR too powerful to fail. (Yay the Rogue problem! too weak and powerful at the same time)

So now you have people using stealth and while they dread failure... it isn't so bad that it is something to avoid at all costs.

-----
-----

Well blades in the dark is interesting... But it is VERY new and very untested...

It also seemed to be more popular during the kickstarter than it was released. (A lot like Exalted 3rd edition :P)

Without sufficient info or a real preview beyond quickplay guides... I can't really jump on it.

Quickstart sort of skims over a lot of the information (It is usually a lot like trying to learn how dungeons and dragons is done... by reading an adventure path) and YouTube sessions are how things are after everything is prepped.

THOUGH BONUS POINTS for having a horribly barf tastic pitch in the quickplay guides. It is far worse then even Bay12 is... for a taste

"Blades in the Dark is a combination of: Dishonored, Darksouls, and The Wire"
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:22:23 pm by Neonivek »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: February 27, 2017, 04:34:53 pm »

Not sure if anyone's linked it before, but my brother showed me a d10000 wild surge chart, which includes such amazing things as "You appear behind the nearest king with a knife in your hand" and "You can only bark in the presence of royalty"

22: 8d4 of the caster's teeth become sentient.

Good lord.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: February 27, 2017, 04:44:32 pm »

8939: All trees within 60 yards decide to form a government.
Black lives matter.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:57 pm »

Not sure if anyone's linked it before, but my brother showed me a d10000 wild surge chart, which includes such amazing things as "You appear behind the nearest king with a knife in your hand" and "You can only bark in the presence of royalty"
The wording of that bugs me. Does that mean that the caster is incapable of barking for whatever reason until they are in the presence of royalty? Or does it mean that the caster can do nothing except bark in the presence of royalty? Probable first answer: "yes" or "both".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: February 27, 2017, 05:43:48 pm »

Former if you're human, latter if you're some form of canine.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: February 27, 2017, 05:44:59 pm »

I would assume the latter, since the former seems to be unnecessary programming-type logic.
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: February 27, 2017, 05:49:44 pm »

8939: All trees within 60 yards decide to form a government.
It's almost literally my favorite Rush song
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Oneir

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fancy hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: February 27, 2017, 08:44:46 pm »

The wording of that bugs me. Does that mean that the caster is incapable of barking for whatever reason until they are in the presence of royalty? Or does it mean that the caster can do nothing except bark in the presence of royalty? Probable first answer: "yes" or "both".
Which makes you an excellent detector of royalty.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3339 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »

Depends on how close to the line of succession is required. Twenty people ahead of you? twenty-thousand?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: February 28, 2017, 05:34:40 am »

It's obviously not all solid gold, but there's a few diamonds in the rough in that list. I actually use this table for some kooky primal magic effects for the party's strange airship with a duration of 24 hours. Some of my favourites:

0182: All within 90 ft. check Int or forget who the caster is
0562 Caster can move at 3X normal speed when naked and unencumbered
0591: Caster can shine light out of his mouth at will

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3341 on: February 28, 2017, 05:42:19 am »

0320 Caster always feels like he is being watched.

...so no change?

I may have found my least favourite enemy type: those that have high initiative, high stealth, and lurk in dark, twisting passages. And apparently teleportation. When an 18 on initiative isn't enough to avoid being sneak attacked four times or retaliate before the perpetrators flee...

Then when the alchemist grappled one to stop the nonsense, it apparently actually vanished from his grip.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 01, 2017, 05:36:31 am »

Okay, so we got (Su) teleportation effect since no concentration when grappled?

High Stealth isn't too bad. Get some form of non-standard enemy detection like Scent, Tremorsense or the like. Anything that works against Invisible should be fine.

Sneak Attack while flat-footed? If you're playing Pathfinder, any form of long term flight will stop that nonsense. You are not considered flat-footed while flying.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3343 on: March 01, 2017, 05:55:05 am »

Most of those are tricky at level one. Also flying is a no-go in cramped tunnels anyway. :P

We made a tactical retreat and will come back with more of the party uninjured. The barbarian being forced to lurk at the back due to being on 2hp doesn't help anything. Also we brushed up on the rules for fighting Tiny creatures, and it looks like it's going to be free AoO day when we get back into the tunnels. That should help even the odds a little.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: March 01, 2017, 11:12:43 am »

Okay, so we got (Su) teleportation effect since no concentration when grappled?

High Stealth isn't too bad. Get some form of non-standard enemy detection like Scent, Tremorsense or the like. Anything that works against Invisible should be fine.

Sneak Attack while flat-footed? If you're playing Pathfinder, any form of long term flight will stop that nonsense. You are not considered flat-footed while flying.

Ooh... what? I never knew that.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 623