Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 913730 times)

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it's not adding much to the conversation but:
On text versus voice, Text lets you get out way more descriptions letting you tell a more in-depth story.  While voice lets you convey emotions through tone, reading style and such.  Personally I prefer voice, mostly just so that you don't need to be on the text page reading it constantly to stay in the story.  I used to really hate losing out on what was happening while i looked up a spell or made a cup of coffee.
Nom nom nom

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

I mostly agree with you, voice is great for conveying tone.  Even if you can't do a "voice", it conveys tone better than text does (even though text can convey tone through poetic license and word choice and such).

But I have to comment on that last sentence.  Text makes it easier to catch up.  Voice does naturally alert you, but with even 1 point in computers (as a player) you'll get a beep notification when someone posts.  Or email or whatever (I haven't done forum RP beyond RTD).  Text is better for being distracted and then going back and catching up.

Otherwise you have to try and remember through various hazes, and possibly ask.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah absolutely true, I was mostly referring to the sort of 'sit down and play for 3-4 hour' sessions that are more like pre-computer table top games.   For those, I've had way more instances than I care to remember where trying to do text (especially in combat) and someone's not responding or saying anything, only to have them then go 'afk' on steam, skype, ect.  Eventually they may or may not come back but I've found that giving people an excuse to not be totally invested 'you can come back and catch up anytime' just tends to make torturous sessions for people who actually are invested.

That said, if you have a group who can do it (everyone needs to be able to multitask I'd say to some degree), text and typing works wonderfully since you get the best of both worlds.  Type down critical events, information, dialogue and then say the fluff details like what the weather is, or how the food tastes.
Nom nom nom

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

craic?
Is that IC?
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

It hadn't hit my circle of contacts yet, but still.
I like it.
Thanks (:
She/they

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

Pathguy's 5e character creator is back up. I don't know how long it's been like this, but all the "greyed out" options now work again. They used to unselect themselves, but now they don't. He must have forgotten to code in that bit in this version :)

So full PHB, DMG, EE (but no SCAG) character creation is possible.

Try it out:

http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm

Seems to work on all android mobile and win7 browsers, so probably everything.

I've made two The Wayback Machine copies, one 31/7/2016 and one today, in case he remembers to change the js back to what it was.

Rejoice!
It's a game. Have fun.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

The Horror Adventures book and the Legacy of Dragons splatbook for Pathfinder have both become available for sale.

I like dragons. Horror Adventures is good, but the Corruptions system is underwhelming. "Become a monster at the cost of your very soul!" was what was advertised. It didn't mention that once you are a monster, you automatically give up control of your character to the DM because you aren't allowed to play as monsters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Losing control of your character at full corruption or insanity etc is pretty common, otherwise a lot of people would probably completely ignore the whole supposed-to-be-a-monster bit and just have the benefits of monsterhood. The whole losing-yourself theme doesn't really work if you don't actually lose yourself at the end.

But I've not read any pathfinder stuff, really, and certainly not those books, so I don't know any details.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

It makes sense--going insane is the traditional method of "death" in CoC, for instance, and letting a player play an insane character is just asking for them to troll the other players by being Stupid Evil. But it's at odds with what was advertised; the tense used in the tagline implies you get to keep playing your character.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

They just came out today.

Corruptions come in a bunch of different flavours, with 11 different monster types to choose from. They are meant for players to actually emulate monsters, but you risk losing your characters, and have some poorly explained reasons. There are three "Corruption" stages, and nefarious actions can cause you to gain another stage, which vary by corruption. For example, Ghouls can advance it by eating innocent people. At stage 3, you lose your character, no exceptions.

One is that you want to become a Lich, and slowly turn undead. At stage 3 of Corruption, you successfully become a Lich by dying and having allies bring you back with a Miracle or Wish. And you have to give up your character, because you are now Evil and Undead.

Another is the Promethean, which turns you into a Construct. At stage 3, you have so little living material for your soul to cling to, it simply disconnects from your body. But your body is still alive, albeit a mindless, true Neutral Construct. Why can't you just roleplay a mech that just belongs to the party, like some sort of unholy abomination of a party mascot? With no mind, it just goes "Beep boop, kill everything" like its some sort of Terminator.

It just doesn't make sense, since in this same book is a complete rewrite of the insanity system, explicitly so that insanity is no longer an end of a character. It also implements a sanity system for Horror oriented games. Things can deal sanity damage and stuff.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Re: Corruption and Insanity, one day I hope to get the opportunity to play an Old Man Henderson.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The ghoul losing control I can kind of get. 

The lich makes very little sense seeing as how if you were say.... an evil necromancer in the first place it's not like anythings changed except you know, more power.

The Promethean while I guess I'm 50/50 on it, if you are gonna lose your character via aforementioned soul disconnect you should at least be allowed to then be resurrected since you know... your soul is floating around without a body effectively meaning you are dead.
Nom nom nom

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It depends on the edition.

Originally the Lich was such an imposition on the natural path of life that it was ultimately corrupting.

In newer editions the ritual to create a Lich was corrupted intentionally so that anyone who becomes one becomes outright evil.

Edit: Whoops, yeah already being evil... >_>
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:46:08 am by Neonivek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I've come up with some basic idea for my campaign. Small kingdom between a sea, a mountain range and deserts. The court wizard has discovered ancient ruins under the capital. The ruins are the focal point for some leylines used by an ancient and mighty empire. These leylines are focused by various ancient ruins scattered across the borders of the Kingdom, which are, naturally, inactive. The court wizard wants to use these leylines to become a god.

Not really sure how I'll make an adventure out of this. I intend for the wizard to appear as a mentor at first, not even mentioned as the court wizard.

Sort of looking for criticism or advice on this.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Seems like an interesting idea, can definitely see potential for fun times there.

That said, the court wizard is like the king's advisor: everyone expects him to be the bad guy. I'd suggest doing something to make him not seem like the villain at first; perhaps throwing the players a red herring by making it look like some other guy is the real villain, then have him get offed by the court wizard halfway through the plot. Possibly a freelance Saruman clone, or the king's actual advisor. Or maybe make the court wizard seem like some kind of doddering old fool, or a generally nonthreatening early-books-Dumbledore-style figure.

As for setting up the adventure... personally, I like to wait until my players have their characters built, then fish around in their backstories for NPCs who can drag them into the campaign.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 623