Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912849 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Took a while, but now I've gotten a character together. Why does Gamble have so many prerequisites? Is it impossible to play craps without formal training in logic and mathematics?

Str: -1
Moves: 10
Res: 4

Age Rolls:
69 (Roll again, add 2d6 radmans)
82 (Roll again, subtract 100 skill points)
64 (Roll twice, pick one)
85/21 (Roll again, subract 100 skill points)/260 + D6x10 skill points, 1d6 radmans

Skill Points: 90

Dear god.

Height: 76 inches/6 ft 4 in
Weight: 152 lbs.

Together, that's a -1 to STR and RES and +2 to MOV.

Natural abilities in:
Beast Lore
Gamble
Hide
Horticulture

Natural inabilities in:
Mechanical Engineering
Medic
Reason
Robotics
Running
WS Thrown

I'm imagining a biology student/compulsive gambler right about now.

I add 2d6 (50) skill points to my character to compensate very slightly for his lack of mad skills. 140 points now.

The only skills listed are my relevant ones:
Senses 4d6
Hide 4d6
Beast Lore 3d6
Herb Lore 4d6
Horticulture 3d6
Math 4d6

So this guy kinda sucks.

Radmans? Radmans. I have 3d6 radmans coming out to a total of 12.

007 Belly up.
The next time you come in contact with a body of water, you will die.

We're off to a great start.

379 Hand of fate.
Roll a D6 and then move a skill of the GameMaster's choice to that level. If you roll a 4 then that skill will be at 4D6.

Rolled a 6. game master pls no bully

583 Berserk.
When you enter a combat situation you automati-cally enter berserk. While in berserk, you will use no weapons and no defensive actions, and your resiliency and moves will be doubled. You will not leave berserk until all of your opponents are dead.

Well that's, uh, OK? At least I get a combat bonus to make up for the fact that Hide just got much less useful.

292 Act of god.
If you get into a bit of trouble, ask the gamemaster to back up and start over. There is a 35% chance thats/he will. You may only use this ability once per gaming session.

As an aside, why would you do this? Writing metagaming into the rules never leads to good things in my experience. How does this even work in-game? What does it have to do with radiation? :v

740 Negate.
Remove negate and the last radiation on your list.

Never mind.

760 Sunspots.
You develop sunspots on D6 random body parts.Sunspots are raw, sore, splotchy-looking patches of skin caused by natural radiation from the sun. Sunspots make wearing heavy clothing or armor uncomfortable. -1 hit point from each body part which has at least one sunspot.

5 random body parts. I'm not sure where to roll for these at the moment.

986 Rite of the lost soul.
If you are ever in contact with a person at the time of their last breath of life, you may capture their soul,permanently replacing your strength, moves, and resiliency with theirs. Note that their renown does not carry over. You must take on all attributes, or none.

This is a message from Lord Nergal. "I await you on the dead Earth."

890 Promiscuous.
+D6 to outright lie, influence, and guile when dealing with anyone of the opposite sex.

I wonder if I can get skillpoints from this somehow? Need to get that gamble up.

046 Pervasive mutation.
Any cross-mutations you have that affect only a single part of your body now affect your entire body. Add a cross-mutation of the same type to every part of your body,for each cross-mutation you have. Cross-mutations that already affect the entire body do not multiply in this way.

Wow! It does nothing!

165 Sync.
There is a 25% chance that you will take on the radiation effects of the people around you, good or bad. For 12skill points you can use the effects of one radiation manipulation of your choice from anyone around you. You must know what radiations they have before you can use them. Therefore you must have been around while it was being used enough to know what it is or have the radiation manipulation (117) read preternatural.

864 The gambler.
Gain an extra skill point every time you roll gamble.

Stop mocking me deadEarth ;_;

167 Bloodlust.
If you see a combat in action you will be uncontrollably drawn to it and must enter. You will receive no skill points for any action you take during the combat. Instead you will receive one additional point of resiliency for each offensive action. You may not flee from combat and you must subtract aD6 from your initiative. When combat ends you will lose any extra resiliency you have acquired.

Damn it.

...He's not dead? Woah.

I declare him Gamer Steve the rambling, gaming dude who loves combat but is terrible at it.

Oh and he can only carry 20 pounds of gear. He's a cripple I guess.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:34:17 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Ah, the other end of the deadEarth spectrum from the Doomed Mutant Gods.

(Roll % for random body parts is on p2 of the character sheet I think)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The lack of realism seems to come from the consequences of the dice rolls rather than the dice rolls themselves. in particular, the height/weight tables seem to create surprisingly realistically-proportioned characters, although getting outliers isn't exactly uncommon.

I still remember my first deadEarth character. He was somehow great (for a deadEarth character, anyway)--he was good at driving RVs and making robots, so I figured he'd just kind of hang out in an RV building robots to get him food and water--until one nonsensical mutation put his Resiliency at 0 (and also made him famous) and he was doomed to die from the common cold within a couple of days.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile

So you're a gambling man that goes mad at the sight of violence and will attempt to join the fray.

You also die within 3 days due to dehydration.

Anyways, this is supposed to be realistic? Between this and FATAL, I feel that 'realistic' in these guys minds means 'It has lots of dice rolls'
It said body of water, not contact with any water at all. I assume this means he has super drowning ability, though it would be funny if he dipped his toe in a lake and, suddenly, out of nowhere, a ninja appears and stabs him to death.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

The author eventually showed up in the rpgnet thread where I found this game (Which is why all the resources are free, he saw how people were enjoying themselves with his dead project) and explained the Epic Realism thing was meant to refer to the damages ( DeadEarth combat is ludicrously fatal unless weird mutations intervene), which they tested in real life by (with aid of alcohol presumably) beating/shooting up targets.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Somehow, someway, my kineticist went from being goku (Blue flame + air kineticist) to being ironman. We're on a Nazi Zeppelin (again, those who don't know, this world is custom made, so there are a lot of real world equivalents, and other references (elves are Nazis, quest giver is an older Indiana Jones, etc)) and we just lost the captain of the ship we ferry on and our beloved NPC ally. We got released by our questgiver's rival archeologist (Belladin) who freed us after another prisoner (unknown to us) went haywire. We get our stuff, but our magic and magical abilities are suppressed (so no Kamehamehas from me). We go down the hall to make our escape and we get into a firefight and see another airship on its way to us.

In a nutshell, we discovered that spirits from the occultist aren't affected by anti-magic fields (because "that guy" wants to be OP), causing two chimeras to run rampant aboard the hallways, my buddy gets almost thrown overboard until I blow the brains out of the one grabbing him, one of our allies DOES get thrown overboard but gets on top of the airship and cuts a hole into it and gets on board the second ship, who is confirmed to be run by our questgiver (Dr Harrison) and our allies (a lizard folk monk who's name I forgot (his race is the equivalent of the pandarians in WoW), Harrison's butler who's apparently a sorcerer, and a few others).

We make our way up to the upper deck, which isn't affected by the anti-magic stuff, so our groups "that guy" goes off to find the Nazi Colonel (who's kinda based on Red Skull) but finds several other higher ranked soldiers, but none as high as him, and promptly drops their strength to 0/1/2/3 (whatever the value is where they start suffocating because they can't lift their own body weight), and I look for the others while going super sayain charging power to blow up the Zeppelin. I find our allies we split off from (the NPCs) and we go to jump off/carry the others, and suddenly, one of our allies ships' engines falls off and on the Nazi ship, Harrison's son appears (he's a paladin) and he's covered in blood and has an "off look" in his eyes.

"That guy" summons a dragon (meanwhile, he's never even SEEN a dragon, only a dracolich (dragons are almost exctinct in this side of the world, and his character from this side of it)) and uses it to grab the paladin, while I fly off and IRONMAN THE FUCK OUT OF THE AIRSHIP AND USE MYSELF AS THE ENGINE SOMEHOW.

We broke off there, but shit is going down hard
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Our Pathfinder group is nearing the end of its campaign. The DM has flat out said he's got no further material planned for us after we finish our current quest. It's been a fun ride, and I'm looking forward to the grand finale.

Then, I'll try my own hand at being DM! Got a few ideas percolating, should be a bunch of fun.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

Looking at the deadEarthing, I really hope it turns into an actual campaign. At least, for science. It'll probably die in a week from everyone literally dying.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Looking at the deadEarthing, I really hope it turns into an actual campaign. At least, for science. It'll probably die in a week from everyone literally dying.
Yep. We'd need a GM to volunteer, though, and a thread to play in.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Any suggestions for core wondrous items for an archer fighter? I'm about at the point where I'm wondering what to do with my gold, having grabbed the really useful stuff (composite MW longbow, MW armour to cut back the penalty, other random useful gear) and a less-critical one (cloak of resistance).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

Gloves of the Falcon and archer's bracers if you're playing pathfinder. Sniper's scope, too.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Generally the best advice is to save towards having the "Big Six" items for your character appropriate to their level.

1. Magic Weapon
2. Magic Armor
3. Cloak of Resistance
4. Stat-enhancing Item (Belt of Giant's Strength, Headband of Vast Intelligence, etc.)
5. Ring of Protection
6. Amulet of Natural Armor

From there, it's assumed you'll branch out into various luxuries suitable for your character.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably relevant here:

There's a new Worst GameTM on the block.

Meet Via The New Legends, in which the rulebook specifically tells you that you have to buy their 15$ dice-rolling box to play the game and explicitly forbids you from robbing stores for fear of damaging "game balance".

Roleplaying in the game is not a core component.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's a new Worst GameTM on the block.
Oh, come on. It can't be that bad.
Roleplaying in the game is not a core component.
OH LORDY I THINK IM COMING DOWN WITH A CASE OF THE VAPORS

Edit:
The author claims he hasn't played in any tabletop RPGs because they would interferer with his artistic vision.
TURN BACK! TURN BACK BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 09:23:20 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Been there, run away screaming from that, did not buy the bell.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 623