Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912850 times)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

You can't touch images. :P
Black lives matter.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

Ah, coulda sworn this version had a tactile component.  Plus they go "static" when you stop concentrating, so yeah...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

We played a superhero setting featuring characters I will never forget, no matter how hard I try.

The setting was a slightly altered reality wherin the USSR stayed united and the USA balkanized. The NCR, The Empire State, Deseret, Texas, Cascadia, and several others were major power players. Disney World is an enclave in the Christian States of Christ, the only trade agreement between the two being the export of power from Disney Nation's Eugenics Furnaces to power the CSC's electric chairs.

My PC was a hobo cursed with the ability to respawn and the associated ability that was the rest of the universe trying to kill him. He actually served a useful role as he was something of a lightning rod for the party.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile

That sounds silly. In a fun way.

Being able to act as a living shield knowing that you are probably fine takes a bit of the heroic-ness out of it, though. But it also encourages you to do it more, so I guess it evens out.

Like one ability I saw in Pathfinder that lets a character with improved evasion willingly fail a roll to allow nearby allows to act as if they had improved evasion as well. Even though you failed, it doesn't say you lose the benefits of improved evasion, and it provides allies an aid that would never be unwelcome.

Unless your a dick and deny them a beneficial AoE effect.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile

Just finished my first gym leader in my PTU game that might/might not happen...

At least 7 more to go... And I'm thinking of adding more only as extra options...

On the bright side, the gym is based around status effects, so the gym itself is riddled with traps, like toxic spikes that poison you, shock traps that paralyze you, sonic traps that confuse you, a couple rooms that cause the curse effect if you're not careful, and a few rooms that releases sleep gas if you screw up. If you and your team are knocked out, you're booted from the gym and fail the challenge. The gym leader is a ninja, and the gym leader's pokemon (regardless of level) will maneuver the maze to lay more traps, screw with the party or even outright fight them. The gym leader personally will throw in some attacks as well, such as curse, poisonpowder/toxic spikes (thanks to some gear), hypnosis and confuse ray. The objective is to find and subdue the gym leader's pokemon, but the leader will directly screw with the party as well, making it all the much harder for them.

Its designed to be a more slow paced gym battle, and it encourages challengers to really be aware of their surroundings.

The one thing I want to do is also allow players to return to the gym and compete in the challenge again not just for the badge, but for bonuses, since the gym leader will fight them at any level with a different team depending on how many badges the player has. Even though this will be the first gym the party will encounter, they don't have to deal with it right away.

I need an idea/theme for the second gym, but I have plenty of time for that. I'm thinking of the second gym being one where you're dropped into a section of the forest and you have to defeat the gym leader and you're given a rental pokemon with half HP left or they're a weaker pokemon and you have to capture pokemon there to form a team to fight the gym leader. Kinda like a more hardcore version of the battle factories, with a bit of nuzlocke stuff happening. It would essentially lead the entire thing into one big encounter. The gimmick might be that the gym leader himself is a very capable fighter, and instead of fighting pokemon with his actual pokemon on hand, he fights them himself.

Yeah... I like that idea...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile

...PTU?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pokemon tabletop united. It's a fan made pokemon D&D style game. It's pretty cool.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pokemon tabletop united. It's a fan made pokemon D&D style game. It's pretty cool.
It's also really hard to run, sadly. Lots of work for the GM

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

It sounds like it would be fun tho', I hope that if you actually use it your group has fun.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know a smaller enclosed labyrinth is much more manageable on roll20 than on forums like I'm used to. If anything, it's helping me get used to roll20.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

"Man, we just killed all this goblin's friends. Now I feel bad. Can we just coup-de-grace him? I think because he's evil I'll feel less guilty if I kill him."
     -Gary Graver, party arcane trickster.

The player is just so quotable.

Edit:
"I don't know much about goblin bosses, but since they're Chaotic Evil I doubt they're particularly nice. ... Don't make me Charm Person you, [player]."
     -Gary Graver, party arcane trickster.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:59:44 pm by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Quotable and meta as hell.  Well, fun if fun, so I guess it doesn't matter
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!

Quotable and meta as hell.  Well, fun if fun, so I guess it doesn't matter

Yeah, part of the reason I like this group is that things aren't super ultra serious. We stay in character most of the time, but if a bit of meta makes the game more fun for everyone we're not above it.

That was unusually fourth wall breaking.

Highlights of last session include the wizard using silent image to trick since goblins into thinking he'd summoned their demonic master, the sorcerer using charm person to interrogate a goblin (hence the above quotes), and the return of 420noscope archery, with two goblins going down in one hit thanks to a crit anda pair of very high damage rolls.

We also managed to put out the parts of the village they set on fire before it all burnt down.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

The one Pokemon game (i think it was PTA) I did play one time long ago was pretty fun and had lots of promise, but the GM stopped after a while :(

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The one Pokemon game (i think it was PTA) I did play one time long ago was pretty fun and had lots of promise, but the GM stopped after a while :(
Its hard for them, so I can see why.

So my last session showed us we're a terribly squishy party. Bard has -1 to con, rolled a 1 on his hit die and got no HP. I rolled a 1 and got 2hp, beinging me to 9hp, and the cleric is the only one who got HP. We were sent after a group of criminals who were harassing a woman. The guards aren't doing shit, they knew but left it alone. This was apparent when I use minor illusion to create an image of a guard who said "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!" and they laughed at him because they said guards don't do their jobs. They found out I was doing that and they just wreck us with crossbows, including almost killing our goblin buddy. We ONLY won because I used chromatic orb and melted a guy with a critical hit and insta-killed him from full HP, put one to sleep right away, and even though I got a 6 on my intimidate check, I scared the shit out of their leader who booked it and we killed another one. Bard dropped to 0hp again, cleric was hit almost every time, and I was bouncing around at 1hp for the entire fight after the first round, and the goblin was stuck being unconscious but stable the whole time (DM said he lasts 1 round until he's gone for good).

The guy we put to sleep got tied up and, while questioning him, the bard threatens to kick him if he doesn't talk. I go up to the bard and pretty much go:

"Let me handle this, Mr Dragg.

Sir, do you see that green goop? That was your friend."

I had rolled really high on persuasion, because all was left was a greenish goop with pieces of gear left there, and he notices something in there that showed him it was his buddy. He starts panicking.

"I will do that to you if you do not tell us what we want to know"

He started to slur his speech in his panic to the point he wouldn't shut up, so we got the info we needed (we found their secret base behind a secret door, which is behind a stone wall with a metal sheet behind it). I had to leave at this point, but we decided to rest. I regrettably do NOT have any acid damage cantrips, so I'm stuck freezing the door with ray of frost, having the cleric smack it with his mace over and over until the metal breaks. Its very brute force, but other than carving the area around it, which probably leads to nowhere.

Pretty short session, but it shows we REALLY need this guy we've been waiting to show up. He's a dragonborn barbarian, and he's apparently got the best stats in the whole group, with 5/6 scores over 14, one being an 18, and a 9. As much as I love fighting within inches of our lives, I'm not fond of having our party get 1 shot by a heavy crossbow... Bard got for 8 damage and he went down

Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 623