Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 912491 times)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons (and Pathfinder), share your experiences.
« Reply #1215 on: January 16, 2016, 10:41:30 pm »

I haven't played a tabletop anything in years, but I still remember my last session vividly.

Chaotic Good Bard - (me)
Neutral Evil Rogue
Lawful Evil Paladin
Lawful Neutral Fighter
Chaotic Neutral Ranger

A profoundly heinous and evil noble, we sneak into a castle holding a feast, kill him, easy enough.

Except the Lawful Neutral and Lawful Evil had figured each other out and confronted each other in private, leading to the Lawful Neutral being chopped up and put into the banquet's soup. It was time to serve the food by the time everyone got their stuff together, so the paladin dressed up as a servant and poisoned the entire soup. The rogue somehow managed to disguise as a noble, and of course they partook in the food too.

Two party members dead already, along with nearly every noble in the realm. I had convinced the noble we had to kill to join me outside before this even started, and kicked him off of the castle wall. The Ranger opened the gate in case we had to escape quickly ( we did ). Me and the ranger left on foot, the Paladin punched out a knight and took his horse.

And I never played a session after that.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: January 16, 2016, 10:44:36 pm »

I thought Paladins weren't supposed to poison people?

Ohhh, LE.  Derp.

That...Yeah, that's pretty epic.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: January 16, 2016, 11:39:12 pm »

Ohhh my gawd...

I just realized that with the 5e rules... it would be VERY easy to do a Pokémon conversion.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: January 17, 2016, 01:41:49 am »

Howzabout desert encounters next?

75.) Sand dune is lair of earth weird
76.) A man is riding through the desert on a horse. He stops and begs you to give his horse a name.
77.) Vultures eating a dead jackal
78.) Jackal eating some dead vultures
79.) Collapsing ruined abandoned town
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: January 17, 2016, 03:18:40 am »

I don't really know the circumstances of your game, but who's to say you're actually meant to fight the dragon? If there was a 100 foot tall frictionless pole in your path, would you complain that you can't climb it, or would you just go around it? I agree it's bullshit when a DM insists you must fight an impossible fight, but when you have other options, it's reasonable that some things are beyond your powers.

And it seems like you probably have other options, considering the fact that you seem to be able to go out and buy several doses of some obscure magic poison, so it doesn't sound like you're trapped there. (And, reasonably, you should have trouble trying to buy enough cockatrice grit in a short enough timeframe to do the job, but it sounds like your DM isn't one to limit abuse of magic marts).

And if you do try to go up against the dragon, no one here is saying you have to face it in a fair fight. But the opposition is more to you exploiting the system, rather than exploiting the current situation. Anyone can run Pun-Pun with a sufficiently lenient DM, but most people would consider any victories gained by such a character to be cheap. A good plan should be something that, even if DM doesn't allow it or it doesn't work, makes people think, "That was a pretty cool plan". The retelling of the story of how you implemented your plan should ideally require very little rules explanation for anyone who doesn't know the system.

Finally, something that bothers me a little personally is that your plans don't seem to really involve the rest of your party at all. If this is a recurring theme for you, I would discourage it, not only because most people don't like it when they have to sit back while someone else does all the cool stuff, but you lose a lot of strength when you make a plan as a member of a team and only count on your own.
Fine, I've decided to give the dragon a fighting chance and not cheese the encounter with Cockatrice Grit.

Instead, I'll just go solo toe to toe in melee with my wizard. Macho man, drop down, knock out, winner takes all.

Pre-fight: Mage Armor, Heroism, Protection from Evil, Shield, Reduce Person, Long Arm, Resist Energy: Fire, Protection from Energy: Fire, Fly, Maximized Mirror Image, Haste, Displacement, Extended Calcific Touch (cast using Dweomer's Essence)
Surprise Round: Dimension Door 10 ft. away from Dragon, surprise round action Calcific Touch attack vs. Dragon.
Round 1 onwards: Move Action Fly until 10 ft. away from Dragon, Standard Action Calcific Touch vs. Dragon, Swift Action Shift (Su) school ability 25 ft. away from Dragon.

Combat should take a maximum of 6 rounds with this strategy. I predict an opening blast of fire breath for 0 damage as it's absorbed completely by Protection from Energy, then a bite attack in round 2 with 1/8 chance of hitting due to mirror image followed by 1/2 chance due to Displacement, etc. If combat goes poorly, I'll Dimension Door away, buff back up and return. I plan to keep an extra casting of Protection from Energy and Maximized Mirror Image available. All legitimate, rules legal, no funny tricks used, straight up fight.

Sadly my party is completely incapable of dealing any significant damage to the beast, with a Rogue/Shadowdancer, Oread Monk and a Rogue/Fighter being the remaining members of the party. They'd have to roll 15 or higher to hit this thing's AC, and even then they'd die from more than two melee hits from it.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: January 17, 2016, 03:57:27 am »

Fine, I've decided to give the dragon a fighting chance and not cheese the encounter with Cockatrice Grit.

Instead, I'll just go solo toe to toe in melee with my wizard. Macho man, drop down, knock out, winner takes all.

Pre-fight: Mage Armor, Heroism, Protection from Evil, Shield, Reduce Person, Long Arm, Resist Energy: Fire, Protection from Energy: Fire, Fly, Maximized Mirror Image, Haste, Displacement, Extended Calcific Touch (cast using Dweomer's Essence)
Surprise Round: Dimension Door 10 ft. away from Dragon, surprise round action Calcific Touch attack vs. Dragon.
Round 1 onwards: Move Action Fly until 10 ft. away from Dragon, Standard Action Calcific Touch vs. Dragon, Swift Action Shift (Su) school ability 25 ft. away from Dragon.

Combat should take a maximum of 6 rounds with this strategy. I predict an opening blast of fire breath for 0 damage as it's absorbed completely by Protection from Energy, then a bite attack in round 2 with 1/8 chance of hitting due to mirror image followed by 1/2 chance due to Displacement, etc. If combat goes poorly, I'll Dimension Door away, buff back up and return. I plan to keep an extra casting of Protection from Energy and Maximized Mirror Image available. All legitimate, rules legal, no funny tricks used, straight up fight.

Sadly my party is completely incapable of dealing any significant damage to the beast, with a Rogue/Shadowdancer, Oread Monk and a Rogue/Fighter being the remaining members of the party. They'd have to roll 15 or higher to hit this thing's AC, and even then they'd die from more than two melee hits from it.

Man, I don't think you're getting what he's saying.

If you're the only powergamer / optimiser in a group that very much does not optimise, then you should tone it down. Especially as a Conjuration wizard who are to other specialty wizards what wizards are to other classes. Yes, you can solo most encounters. Does that mean you should? Definitely not. Otherwise you're gonna find yourself against creatures that are optimised to destroy wizards.

What I'm saying is: Be the Gandalf.

(Also, none of your plans should work, the dragon should either be long gone or have set up enough traps to destroy your entire party.)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: January 17, 2016, 05:59:25 am »

>not cheese
> go solo toe-to-toe with a red dragon as a wizard
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: January 17, 2016, 06:21:03 am »

it is much less cheese.
it went from a full wheel to a quarter.

But still, if the wizard is the one going melee against a dragon, something has failed. the rules, the GM, the player or a combination of the above.

y the way, be careful when dimension-dooring in the dragon lair, it might have wards in place.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: January 17, 2016, 06:51:16 am »

Already tested the area, no teleportation block on it as far as I can see. If I could add Mirror Image to the rest of the party I would, but it's self only, and I'm the only one that is capable of moving towards the dragon, performing a standard attack, and moving away afterward to prevent it getting a full attack sequence. So I get to punch it dead!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: January 17, 2016, 07:30:36 am »

out of curiosity, why do you need to fight that dragon?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: January 17, 2016, 04:46:07 pm »

Howzabout desert encounters next?

80.) A fiend offers you food, drink, and riches if you swear allegiance to him
81.) You encounter a man (or whatever) driven mad from the heat
82.) That's an awful lot of tumbleweeds.
83.) Tumbleweed affiliated fey
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: January 17, 2016, 04:53:13 pm »

84. It is now night. It wasn't night a minute ago. Also, it's started to snow.
85. Behold, two-no, three desert caravans! That are all exactly the same!
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

nullBolt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: January 17, 2016, 04:58:22 pm »

So, anyone else really into RuneQuest and Glorantha?

Nudge nudge wink wink look at my signature.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: January 17, 2016, 04:59:55 pm »

86 ) The party finds some cacti filled with liquid. At DM's discretion, they may or may not contain hallucinogenic/toxic chemicals.
87 ) Someone trips over a rock. Upon closer examination, it appears to be the very tip of a massive, buried pyramid.
88 ) Gale-force winds kick up suddenly, blowing razor-sharp fragments of stone through the air. Take shelter, or get sliced to ribbons.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: January 17, 2016, 05:01:43 pm »

89. Desert nomads with completely blue eyes, special armor, and an addiction to spices.
90. Desert gnomads of the same variety.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 623