Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151132 times)

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #270 on: July 06, 2015, 04:57:19 pm »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 07, 2015, 02:42:09 am »

-snip-

Now, just to be clear, are you looking for the server under the Steam View > Servers List, or in-game? Ark's server list is buggy as hell.

The former. I gave the ingame Unofficial list a shot afterwards, but of course it only has ~16 servers show up for me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 07, 2015, 08:49:00 am »

Tell you what, you and anyone else having trouble can go ahead add me on Steam, under the name "Douche_Of_The_Line" (Really, don't ask.) Just hit me up the next time you see me online (it doesn't matter what I 'm doing), and I will log in so that you can favorite the server through the friend listing.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 07, 2015, 11:15:39 am »

Ok, so after a long time resisting the temptation I gave in and bought the game. I'm playing locally because of social ineptude, but I'm running it on the lowest settings and my pc still lags if the screen start shaking too much (like sprinting near a bronto).

My question is: How easier will it be for my pc if I play on a server? Would I be able to up the graphics a little since I'm not hosting anymore? Playing with low vision distance is crap, you never see stuff before you're right on top of it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 07, 2015, 11:23:10 am »

Much, much easier, I'd say. I can't even play locally at all, both because of terrible FPS loss and because none of the in-game hotkeys or menus work.

Tell you what, you and anyone else having trouble can go ahead add me on Steam, under the name "Douche_Of_The_Line" (Really, don't ask.) Just hit me up the next time you see me online (it doesn't matter what I 'm doing), and I will log in so that you can favorite the server through the friend listing.
Thanks, man, I'll do that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2015, 10:12:17 pm »

Ok, so after a long time resisting the temptation I gave in and bought the game. I'm playing locally because of social ineptude, but I'm running it on the lowest settings and my pc still lags if the screen start shaking too much (like sprinting near a bronto).

My question is: How easier will it be for my pc if I play on a server? Would I be able to up the graphics a little since I'm not hosting anymore? Playing with low vision distance is crap, you never see stuff before you're right on top of it.

Infinitesimally easier. There are acknowledged, serious performance bugs with local mode.

If you are set on playing "alone," I recommend joining an unofficial serving, which almost universally have comparable low pops, and just setting off for a secluded little area.:)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 08, 2015, 04:17:19 pm »

Ok so, I logged into Ibid`s server and started playing. I found a raptor, got killed by it, respawned near him and slingshotted him out.
Then started a series of violent deaths by a freaking eagle that was camping the place, until a sabertooth arrives, kill it, kill me and start corpse-camping me. Fuck this tiger, how can I kill it? Will he eat my uncouncious raptor?

Edit: Great, now there's an eagle ON THE WAY to get there. This game is pretty taxing on the lone wolf kind of person, isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:20:54 pm by Cattani »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 08, 2015, 04:24:24 pm »

Sounds like you started in the north...north = harder

try south (still raptors but fairly rare) and there is mostly less hostile dinasaurs

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 08, 2015, 06:07:36 pm »

This game is pretty taxing on the lone wolf kind of person, isn't it?

Being in a group mainly just gets you xp faster, and helps with building bases faster. Combat is usually over one way or the other before your tribe members can respond, so you have to be prepared to take care of yourself.

The game is most punishing of ignorance. Once you learn how to navigate, arm and armor yourself, keep supplies on hand for emergency tool repairs, build beds nearby, identify hostile dinos and keep your distance from large groups of them, the game gets much easier. Or less frustratingly horrible anyway.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 08, 2015, 08:19:48 pm »

I think that the n°1 factor of success in this game is to tame early. A trike is fairly easy to tame for instance, and if you can manage to trade for the saddle you just made a huge leap forward, because now you can get narcoberries super fast and tame more things. The trike will also let you solo most threats as long as you improve melee damage (and health a bit). The raptor is sorta good, because it will make you safe and fast, but it tends to die easily on random mistakes.

Once you have those two, the easiest way to get lots of levels is to make a lot of narcotics (use several mortar&pestle in parallel) with the meat from the raptor and the narcoberries from the trike. Once you have a metal spear, you can start farming caves for more xp and resources, and from then on it gets easier and easier. The next bottleneck is getting oil & pearls from the depths, for that you can either get an ichtyo (very easy to tame as long as there are no threats nearby) or bait a megalodon and sedate him from the shore. With one of those, it's trivial to find what you need as long as you have invested in some oxygen for safety.

Oh also I'd recommend getting a ptera as soon as possible, this thing is crazy fast and very useful.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 08, 2015, 09:00:21 pm »

I hate Pteras on account of they are fragile like rice paper, or Raditz.

Get yourself a bird thing. They are the best.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 14, 2015, 08:51:00 pm »

I love pteras, the argentavis is so slow by comparison. Taming them is a b!tch though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:54:44 pm by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 15, 2015, 12:08:26 pm »

Argeventis is also not made of glass, like a ptero. It can even kill larger dinos, like a carno or even a t-rex. They have much higher stamina, so their speed is offset by a longer time aloft.

Also mind could carry 400-500 weight. Great for resource runs.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 15, 2015, 02:02:50 pm »

Hopped on my Argentavis today and went out hunting beacons. I went into a small lake to grab one of the underwater beacons, discovered the hard way that a new bug had been added with the most recent patch making it impossible to surface for air when swimming, drowned halfway across the map from my home base.

Respawned at bed, checked the closet and found that the spare GPS I built yesterday vanished in a server rollback. Hopped on a Ptera and tried to find my way to where I died just by flying around with only the terrible map to reference. After about 10 minutes I'm just accepting that there's no chance of getting my gear back before it decays, when I realize that nobody fed my Ptera and it's starving to death. I land, still naked, and fashion a crude stone pickaxe and attack the nearest Dilo I see hoping to feed my poor starving Ptera before it dies. Of course the Dilo turns out to be level 98.  I barely manage to take it down with a sliver of health left, hack it's body apart with my stone pick and get all of 5 hides for my effort. And now I'm starving. So I forage for berries, now in the dark, and barely manage to get my hunger up before I starve to death.

Just as my health gets back to decent levels another Dilo pounces on me, but fortunately this one is level 2 and butchering it gives me 5 meat, which my Ptera is very grateful for. Still lacking my GPS and hopelessly lost, I head back in the direction I think is home, hoping my Ptera will make it there and I can get it some more meat from the fridge. Naturally I was going completely the wrong way, but serendipity winked at me and I stumbled upon the site where I originally died. My loot was long since decayed, but I found my Argentavis waiting patiently on the shore for me and I hopped on his back to give my Ptera a break. The whole way home, the Ptera was trying to air-hump the Argentavis, making it a bumpy ride, but we were able to make it back without further incident.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 20, 2015, 01:52:14 am »

I have to say, the amount of content for an early access and the slow-burning pace of the game is impressive- and after the past few updates, surprisingly stable. The folks here on Butosus have been going at it for almost a month now, having hopped three bases and migrated from the southern shores to the northern reaches of the island. It's almost hard to believe that a handful of nakeds punching trees and throwing rocks at trikes have become shotgun wielding, dolphin-riding dinosaur marines who can drop T-Rexs. xD

On that note, I'd like to once again invite my fellow Bay12ers to join us on our island. Space is free and plentiful, neighbors are few and far between (there are about 4 or so active tribes, but only 3-4 people on at any given time as it stands.) Everyone that I'm aware is friendly, and less interested in PvP, though it is always an option. That said, starting next week, we will be switching over to PvP weekends, with (potentially, hardcore) PvE week days to prevent would be off-hour griefing and give folks who do choose to engage in conflict a chance to recover, while maintaining that delicious survival challenge.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 47