Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151122 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »

Its really easy to test...just time how often they eat full vs hungry

Well, it can take a long time for them to lose hunger. The question is whether or not starving them raises taming effectiveness. I haven't exactly done !!SCIENCE!! but I do feel like the taming effectiveness is higher on hungry dinos.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2015, 01:46:01 pm »

So I've heard that Ark pretty much magnifies the worst part of other similar games (carebears who hide from PvP and only sleepkill) by also having the PvE elements do nothing but grief your shit. Also, taming worthwhile things requires you to stand in one place ingame for multiple hours, and you don't get decent exp gain unless you're part of a large organized group.

Truth Y/N?

So, yes, this is a PVP game. You can be killed, and if your tribe is asleep or someone succeeds in over-running your base they'll kill the people inside.

Taming does not require multiple hours, unless you're talking about a T-rex or Bronto. The best way is to let its food run down first. The taming meter goes up every time the creature eats, so if you just sort of do other things while it gets hungry, you can tame it almost all at once.

I like PvP. I don't like the cowardly little shitters that deliberately avoid fights and only attack when and where they know people are asleep, and run away if there are people there to fight back.

That said, I got it, if only because we've got a group going. I have literally zero desire to try to get along with the usual clutch of braindead manchildren that seem to populate most Rust, DayZ, &c. servers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2015, 01:48:05 pm »

The devs are actively collaborating with the wiki operators, word of dev says that starving is not more effective than on demand.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2015, 01:53:14 pm »

Starving has no influence on taming effectiveness. In fact, it can make it worse if you let them starve until it harms them.

There are only three things that influence taming: how much health the creature has when it's taming, how many things it has eaten during taming, and how many of the same creature you've tamed before.

The more health the creature has when being tamed and the more of the same creature you've tamed before, the higher the taming effectiveness. Being able to knock something out with minimal damage to its health is very useful, because it has a really big impact on taming effectiveness. Taming creatures isn't a bad way to build taming effectiveness, either, if you're patient, but some of the bigger creatures might be a pain in the ass to tame and tame and tame again, and you might not have the food income to take care of them all, anyway.

Inversely, the less things the creature has eaten while being tamed, the higher the taming effectiveness. Narcoberries and narcotics don't technically count since they don't directly impact taming effectiveness, but feeding narcoberries to a carnivore or narcotics to a herbivore mid-taming does decrease the level the taming is at. If you're short on one, you can starve a creature while feeding them the other so that the actual taming part goes quickly and you don't need to use as much of the stuff you're limited on, but once you're in the middle of taming, you want to use the preferred drug exclusively.

Finishing with a higher taming effectiveness supposedly increases the tamed attributes, and it seems like it's true from what I've seen, but I'm not positive about it, because I've seen a bit of disproof, too. Either way, the taming effectiveness can have a big impact on just how long it takes to tame a creature.
Nothing important here, move along.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 28, 2015, 01:10:27 am »

Okay, yeah, glad I bought it. Except... I hope they've got a long road of optimization ahead. I've got double the minimum required RAM and VRAM, a much superior CPU, and even at the lowest vaseline-on-lens terrible settings it chugs a bit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 28, 2015, 05:10:49 am »

Yes they have lots of optimizing to do...and they have already boosted it a ton recently

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:04 am »

I've done my own experiments and let me clear some things about taming.

1. Narcotics are better for everything, period. They're more efficient than narcoberries and will not make herbivores lose effectiveness. Effectiveness is lost if the dino takes damage and each time it eats. If it eats less times, for example from eating prime meat, it ends up with higher effectiveness.

2. A dino's level will affect the time it takes to tame them and how many times they have to eat, taming a high lv dino instead of a low level one can potentially result in a lower melee damage due to longer tame and therefore lower effectiveness which brings me to point 3.

3. Dinos seem to have random stat boosts based on their level. I'm not 100% sure how it works yet, but I've seen low level dinos with bigger boosts than some high level ones so I think the level only affects the chance of having good bonuses. You can see these bonuses by knocking the dino out and looking at its stats. You can check the wiki for base stats(most of the base stat data is correct) but ignore the gain per level as those are wrong. The reason these bonuses are important is that the boosted stats are now counted as base stats, which brings me to point 4.

4. The amount of points you gain on a dino's stat per level/point invested is not a set value, the wiki has it all wrong. It is in fact a percentage of the base stat, which counts the random bonuses the dino came with. For example a pteranodon(and most things for that matter) gain 10% of their base stamina per level. A basic ptera would have 300 stamina and gain 30 stamina per level spent, taking 23 levels to reach 990 stamina. I once tamed a pteranodon with 450 starting stamina, a boost of 50% and it gained 45 per level, it only took 12 levels to reach 990 stamina. The random stat bonuses are extremely important and you shouldn't just tame any random dino since you are only allowed to level a dino 38 times.

As a quick example I found this rather awesome turtle which came with 60% bonus hp, 40% bonus stamina, 10% bonus melee and some bonus food I didn't care about. This turtle was only lv14 and better than some higher level ones I found.

I'd love to continue my testing but I'm moving today and will be without internet for 2 weeks or so. I might play singleplayer to resume testing, but this would mean starting over. Since the game is fairly new and rapidly changing, there are a LOT of false and/or outdated information and rumors about the game and its mechanics and they get repeated so often than people mistake them for truths and then end up on wikis and stuff. I urge you to verify any and all info you come across rather than spread misinformation further, this includes my own.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:42:16 am by Ygdrad »
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2015, 11:22:14 am »

-snip-

I'm pretty sure that the extra boost beyond just level is also a factor of the remaining health when you first knock the creature out.

Narcotics recently got a big buff. It used to be only worth about 26-ish torpor points, compared to a narcoberry's 8-ish points. Now that it's about 40-ish points, it's actually worth the 5 narcoberries that go into it.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:50 am »

-snip-

I'm pretty sure that the extra boost beyond just level is also a factor of the remaining health when you first knock the creature out.

Narcotics recently got a big buff. It used to be only worth about 26-ish torpor points, compared to a narcoberry's 8-ish points. Now that it's about 40-ish points, it's actually worth the 5 narcoberries that go into it.

I thought the narcoberries were 7 versus the narcotic's 40 now, although I might be wrong since i haven't tested the berries in a while. As for health remaining affecting the other bonuses, it could be a factor, but if so, only a minor one as I always do my tests using a scorpion to knock things out and the damage taken remains minimal compared to other KO options and I've gotten both no/low bonuses and high ones on things that had taken the same amount of damage. I need to gather more data though since the random element in there means we can't properly figure out how it works without a large sample size.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 29, 2015, 11:45:53 am »

I'm thinking about getting it, altough I ahve one question:

Can you have a closed off server just for you and your buddies? Or is it one big open world MMO? Considering that this sounds like another Griefers Paradise (Especially according to some Steam Reviews), I would only really get the game if there's some way to close myself off somehow.
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 29, 2015, 11:48:21 am »

I'm thinking about getting it, altough I ahve one question:

Can you have a closed off server just for you and your buddies? Or is it one big open world MMO? Considering that this sounds like another Griefers Paradise (Especially according to some Steam Reviews), I would only really get the game if there's some way to close myself off somehow.

Definitely. My friend has a server running on a desktop of his that we're playing on.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 29, 2015, 11:51:51 am »

-snip-

I thought the narcoberries were 7 versus the narcotic's 40 now, although I might be wrong since i haven't tested the berries in a while. As for health remaining affecting the other bonuses, it could be a factor, but if so, only a minor one as I always do my tests using a scorpion to knock things out and the damage taken remains minimal compared to other KO options and I've gotten both no/low bonuses and high ones on things that had taken the same amount of damage. I need to gather more data though since the random element in there means we can't properly figure out how it works without a large sample size.

Narcoberries are still 8, last I checked. I'm not entirely sure about narcotics, though, I haven't gone in and actually looked at it.

It wouldn't surprise me if the bonus randomization is a more significant factor than anything else. It does definitely need more testing, though. When I get a chance, I'll run some tests myself.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 29, 2015, 12:32:35 pm »

Does it make a difference if your force feed the creature 10 narcoberries all at once vs. Waiting for the topor to stabilize before hitting remote use again?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 29, 2015, 01:24:39 pm »

Does it make a difference if your force feed the creature 10 narcoberries all at once vs. Waiting for the topor to stabilize before hitting remote use again?

Doesn't matter, it stacks.

And with this, good bye internet. We'll meet again in 2 weeks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 01, 2015, 07:27:44 pm »

Hey, I've got a private server if anyone's interested. It's hosted professionally, and I actively admin. We've got a small but highly active (and friendly) community of 7-8 people, and I'm looking to expand the population. Illuminati is the old bunch of guildmates I started the server with.

PVP is active, but griefing is not tolerated. Character transfer is off. I DO play on this server, but I refuse to grant benefits based on friendships made either here or on the server. I WILL replace assets lost due to server updates or major bugs, such as one's dinosaur falling through the world and dying.

NAME: ~_Illuminati_ARK_WELCOME
Connection Info:  74.63.226.198:7777 
PVP ACTIVE

Hope to see someone there. It's getting lonely.  :P
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 47