Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151120 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #225 on: June 25, 2015, 01:11:12 am »

Vengeance!!  Now I have the raptors game!!
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2015, 04:11:42 pm »

Vengeance!!  Now I have the raptors game!!

I really want to tame some raptors. I got jumped by three in rapid succession this morning which very nearly killed me. If it wasn't for my squad of death-dilos I'd have been munched for sure.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2015, 04:20:45 pm »

My performance has dramatically improved in the recent patches. Initial load times are still a bit slow, but once I'm in there's virtually no fps drop.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2015, 07:00:15 pm »

My performance has dramatically improved in the recent patches. Initial load times are still a bit slow, but once I'm in there's virtually no fps drop.

MY FPS IS SO AMAZING. YOU GUYS.

ALso, I tamed a Pterodon, and it is amazing. It's like a goddam jet.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2015, 07:12:10 pm »

So I've heard that Ark pretty much magnifies the worst part of other similar games (carebears who hide from PvP and only sleepkill) by also having the PvE elements do nothing but grief your shit. Also, taming worthwhile things requires you to stand in one place ingame for multiple hours, and you don't get decent exp gain unless you're part of a large organized group.

Truth Y/N?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2015, 07:18:49 pm »

So I've heard that Ark pretty much magnifies the worst part of other similar games (carebears who hide from PvP and only sleepkill) by also having the PvE elements do nothing but grief your shit. Also, taming worthwhile things requires you to stand in one place ingame for multiple hours, and you don't get decent exp gain unless you're part of a large organized group.

Truth Y/N?

Exaggerated, but that is based in truth to a degree.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2015, 07:28:30 pm »

Can't speak for any of the public servers, so I don't know about the PvP stuff, but I'm having a blast on a small private server with my friends. It is definitely designed to be a Multiplayer game, but we aren't having any issues with just 4 of us.

Taming big stuff does take a long time, but you're not stuck completely standing in one spot. You just have to come back to the dino every few minutes to check on it. Again, those are better done as a group as people can run off to gather stuff and then hang out near the dino to craft while the other people go off to do stuff. Rotation helps keep it from being too tedious, and it's exciting taming something big.

Don't know about the XP stuff, but the level gain rate seems fine to me even with a small tribe.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 26, 2015, 08:33:08 pm »

Truth Y/N?

I quit playing on a PVE server because someone had blocked all access to the water with single, cheap structures. That was pretty griefy. I have no experience with PVP servers.

As other have said, taming isn't THAT bad. You can generally run around and do other things while you are waiting for your guy to eat enough food to tame. The mechanic is kind of stupid and I expect something better... some day.

As for leveling, it is mostly something that happens while you are doing other things. Going out to collect a pile of tatch or building a home or hunting dinos all gives you XP. I've been in only a few situations where I have been annoyed at not leveling faster.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 26, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »

XP gain has been pretty good for me. It feels like a very natural progression - I always have something to do while "waiting" for the next level milestone.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2015, 09:43:42 pm »

Progression on a single server feels very natural and fun.  XP gain only becomes annoying if you find yourself moving between servers and starting fresh a lot. Then you get to where you're just trying to get enough XP to make such and such that you had before. And even then it's not really tedious, especially with a few friends. You can level up quickly just by building up a base since you all share xp on crafting too. I gained a few levels on an official server just helping some guys build a big wooden house, joined their tribe and all of us together were out deforesting the area and crafting walls and foundations and ceilings and such as we went, then heading back and putting them all in place before going out and gathering more.

Taming also isn't bad if you do it while crafting. I tamed a trike (took about 40 mins I think) while building a house. I just knocked him out in the woods and deforested the area around him as I went, making trips to where I wanted the house planted and back to him as needed. As long as you get them good and sleepy you can leave them for a few minutes to do other stuff.

You can do cool stuff when you get pillars. Placing them is a bit tricky now, but I was able to make a nice cliffside base on the northwestern cliffs - with a ladder to the water and housing up on the top with irrigated farms. Diving down in that area is ridiculously dangerous though, and it's deep - the area is usually patrolled by a dozen or so megalodons. I dove one time when some trikes and stegos and stuff had fell off and were keeping them busy, and I saw a bunch of oil and pearls on the bottom. But I drowned before I even reached bottom, let alone got back up. Would need a tamed megalodon to even have a chance to get down there.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:58:06 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2015, 01:44:00 am »

So the usual advice is to build a tiny secure house in a secluded place where nobody will find it. Having played solo mode already, I said screw that, hopped on a pvp server, and now live in this. A magnificent wooden place built on the top of a metal-spawning hill, clearcut the forrest on it, made to be as obvious as possible, complete with a ladder tower to the highest height it would let me place ladders, and a torch beacon on big stilts. I mean, sure, I usually wake up dead and with no stuff when I get on the next day, but it's totally worth it. :v
Waking up with a few less trinkets? Who cares, I got a view.
Spoiler: view (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
View from the top: http://imgur.com/XTcS9B3.jpg

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2015, 08:34:42 am »

Howdy folks!

Having had such a blast with Rust, a handful of us have decided to give Ark a try on our very own PvE/PvP server- New Buto. Anyone with an interest and a little grit is welcome to join, and my hope is to see the lot of us form up into tribes, forging diplomatic treaties and alliances, and competing in a sportsmanly (but ruthless!) effort to dominate The Island.

The rules are very simple: don't camp your fellow players, and treat your fellow players with basic decency. Beyond that, use your discretion, and free reign. Needless to say, the admin will not be provided any benefits or dishing out punishments or penalties, except where these rules are concerned.

Hope to see you here. :)
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2015, 10:13:40 am »

Truth Y/N?

So, yes, this is a PVP game. You can be killed, and if your tribe is asleep or someone succeeds in over-running your base they'll kill the people inside.

Taming does not require multiple hours, unless you're talking about a T-rex or Bronto. The best way is to let its food run down first. The taming meter goes up every time the creature eats, so if you just sort of do other things while it gets hungry, you can tame it almost all at once.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2015, 10:32:41 am »

Wiki says starvation method is not any more effective nor any faster.  Trilobites are going to be in, that is extremely awesome.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2015, 12:07:07 pm »

Its really easy to test...just time how often they eat full vs hungry
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 47