Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151104 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #210 on: June 18, 2015, 06:34:35 am »

Yeah the performance issues, even on my new and quite good computer, forced me to refund this. I may take another look when its out of early access.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 19, 2015, 12:05:49 am »

A card that only supports DX10 isn't gonna be running much of anything. DX11 is like half a decade ago.

That said, the game does perform quite badly. I do need to upgrade my PC soon, as it's a couple years old now, but the performance is just kind of weird. I turned the settings down to somewhere around medium, and things are quite playable. However, I get these odd multi-second hitches and really low FPS on occasion. Still not sure what cause those.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 19, 2015, 09:14:54 pm »

So, with the performance problems, is it worth $25?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 19, 2015, 09:26:16 pm »

To me it was, but it really depends on your computer and how well you can handle with lowering the graphics settings and/or experiencing the bad performance. I get a solid 30fps on medium settings and the worst problem to me is the insane loading times.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 19, 2015, 09:36:17 pm »

Are you on a desktop or a laptop?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 19, 2015, 09:52:35 pm »

Desktop with what I believe is a R9 270x GPU. The FPS I said before was really a ballpark figure. Point is that it's easily playable for me, but obviously not perfect.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 19, 2015, 10:16:33 pm »

I think I will be passing on this then until I build that PC I've been meaning to. I'm currently on a rather crappy laptop.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:13 am »

I think I will be passing on this then until I build that PC I've been meaning to. I'm currently on a rather crappy laptop.
Until they do some optimization it's really not. The game is full of bugs. It's a lot of fun and the concept is very cool but I couldn't recommend it right now

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 20, 2015, 03:21:09 pm »

Until they do some optimization it's really not. The game is full of bugs. It's a lot of fun and the concept is very cool but I couldn't recommend it right now
I would have to second this. There are a lot of issues right now that very much undermine the fun of the game. If you have ever said "It might be time to upgrade my computer" the game probably won't be playable on your system.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #219 on: June 20, 2015, 11:51:57 pm »

My system is 3 years old and the game is very playable. I just turned my settings to high and turned shadows to low and I get 45 FPS.

It's a core i7 3770 with 16gb of ram and a GTX 670 card. Granted it's a fairly nice gaming rig, but it's still 3 years old and running this game just fine.

Memory is a big thing for this game though, due to the way it loads everything in I guess. With 16gb I will get low memory warnings if I try to do too much stuff in the background. Running just the game I'm fine, but if I start browsing too Windows starts telling me i'm low on memory. But it does have launch options to limit it to lower memory.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2015, 12:13:21 am »

My system is 3 years old and the game is very playable. I just turned my settings to high and turned shadows to low and I get 45 FPS.

It's a core i7 3770 with 16gb of ram and a GTX 670 card. Granted it's a fairly nice gaming rig, but it's still 3 years old and running this game just fine.

Memory is a big thing for this game though, due to the way it loads everything in I guess. With 16gb I will get low memory warnings if I try to do too much stuff in the background. Running just the game I'm fine, but if I start browsing too Windows starts telling me i'm low on memory. But it does have launch options to limit it to lower memory.

16 GB of ram and a core i7 is not a small deal. I have been playing for years with only minor issues on my i5 with (get this) 4 gigs of ram.

I don't want to be that guy who says "I play crysis at 123 FPS why doesn't ARK work!?" but the fact is simple. Right now ARK has stupidly high requirements. If you have said "Hmm, I should lower the settings in (insert random game here)" you should wait.

If you have also said "Dinos and minecraft is cool!" you should wait no more than 2 months.

The game is great and it will continue to get better.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 21, 2015, 01:20:43 am »

I have been playing for years with only minor issues on my i5 with (get this) 4 gigs of ram.
Found your problem. Computer tech has been advancing "for years."

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 21, 2015, 01:49:24 am »

This game really is fun if you can run it, though.

My house is now two stories tall, has plenty of storage space, and has water piped in now! Tomorrow I'm probably going to focus on fencing. The amount of features is astounding, and I've only unlocked half of the engrams so far.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2015, 03:26:30 am »

Major updates to content and performance every other day...and yet I still fall through the ground half the time when I log off, dying and losing all my equipment. You'd think something like that would be a higher priority >_<

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #224 on: June 21, 2015, 02:55:45 pm »

Never had the falling through ground thing myself. Except in one very specific spot where there was a hole in the world. And in single player when I was messing around with god mode and speed set to 50x and had a dozen or so raptors knocking me around without hurting me until eventually pushing me against a rock and through it under the world.

-edit-

Just started playing this again on the Forgotten Coast pvp server. Lag free and good ping, folks are playing it from both Europe and the US. Seems to be a fairly friendly server, most folks I see don't KoS. You still get raids and stuff, but I haven't been hit by anyone yet. From what I understand they discourage wiping out bases, and it's expected that when you break in you just bust a wall or two and loot them - not wipe them off the map with your t-rex.

Anyone else playing on a server? I would like a pvp one that discourages offline raids (or at least killing passive dinos of offline people) with a good player base - probably east coast so Europeans and all US players can get decent ping there. Pretty happy with the one I'm on but I would move if someone wanted to get another group playing together. I left the last one due to the server choice, specifically I didn't like the char uploads (too easy to cheat there) and the ping I was getting (200-300+ most days).
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:23:04 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 47