Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151087 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #165 on: June 13, 2015, 01:39:00 pm »

I say play to human strengths, we're high endurance, high damage output, and reasonably tough, we can swim and dive fairly effectively, and are well adapted to coastal life, we are not fast.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 13, 2015, 01:39:55 pm »

I have a question. Does anyone actually upgrade run speed? It's 2% a level, seems pointless. Not like you're going to be outrunning velociraptors on foot anyway.

Anyone have some proven benefits to this?

The only immediate benefit I know of, is that you could potentially outrun your friends.
That's all you really need to do in this game.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #167 on: June 13, 2015, 02:44:38 pm »

I usually focus entirely on melee damage and health. Once I get higher level I may put some in endurance. Haven't found any need to raise anything else. Run speed I can just get a mount for, if I need to carry something heavy I can get a dinosaur pack animal.

The melee damage won't help me if I switch to using guns, but high melee damage % and a pike can sure kill things fast.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:48:31 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 13, 2015, 04:09:33 pm »

I do upgrade speed, myself. You can notice the difference pretty quickly, honestly. Just a few points is actually a pretty big speed boost.
Nothing important here, move along.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 13, 2015, 04:11:58 pm »

I'll have to give speed a shot, then. Maybe 10% or so.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 13, 2015, 04:29:08 pm »

The stat I've been experimenting with is fortitude...got it up to 8 so far, and I still seem to be hot/cold/hungry/thirsty just as often as at 0.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 13, 2015, 04:49:46 pm »

The stat I've been experimenting with is fortitude...got it up to 8 so far, and I still seem to be hot/cold/hungry/thirsty just as often as at 0.

It seems to stop me from going into overheating/freezing more than flat-out ignoring weather.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 13, 2015, 04:54:34 pm »

The trick to swarms of dilos is to be riding something. They'll put the blind status effect on your mount, but it doesn't do anything.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 13, 2015, 09:43:46 pm »

PSA. Shooting the dino you want to tame with a tranq to keep it sleeping is ill advised. It may give more topor per narcotics bt it will sharply drop taming effectiveness.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 13, 2015, 09:51:45 pm »

Doing damage to a creature you're in the process of taming is never a good idea. If you need to keep something knocked out, use narcoberries for herbivores and narcotics for carnivores so that it doesn't decrease the taming effectiveness, or vice-versa if you're really desperate since it's still not as bad as attacking the creature.

The best thing to do in a lot of cases is just to load up what torpor you can on them then run and gather berries. As long as they stay above 50% torpor, you don't have to worry about them suddenly getting up, so you have a little time to get some more narcoberries/narcotics.

Remember, most creatures are probably going to need more than a stack of narcoberries to keep them down, anyway. Narcotics have been buffed a bit, so you shouldn't need too many of them, but narcoberries are going to be in great need, especially as the dinos get bigger.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 13, 2015, 09:58:01 pm »

The trick to swarms of dilos is to be riding something. They'll put the blind status effect on your mount, but it doesn't do anything.

Until your mount gets stuck on a 2-inch high rock and refuses to jump or turn quickly enough.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 13, 2015, 10:05:34 pm »

Stupid raptor needing to level it's weight limit to carry me around and level it's stamina to actually run at decent distance. At this rate, my dilos will have more HP than him.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:24 pm »

Alright...bout to fire this up for the first time...lets see how this goes

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2015, 07:57:12 am »

Spear weight has been halved. Carrying 10 spears is no longer a logistical nightmare!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2015, 09:30:41 am »

Goddamn carno from out of nowhere eating my trike I was taming.

On happier news, got 3 dodos for the pack, Clucky, Pecky and Emergency Food. How many do I need to get a steady supply of eggs?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:36:34 am by majikero »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 47