Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151079 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2015, 09:25:30 am »

There are things you can do to improve it vastly.

Put -SM4 in your Launch Options for Steam to switch to DirectX 10 instead of 11. It decreases the quality of the after-effects by a fair bit, but the game still looks fine and runs a lot faster. I went from 10-15 FPS at best to about 30-40 FPS with that alone.
Nothing important here, move along.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2015, 09:41:12 am »

It doesn't sound too terrible - but what about actual content?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2015, 09:50:55 am »

They could have sold it as a full game at a higher price and with this amount of content and I don't think anyone would have batted an eye. I personally purchased it because I liked what was already there. The work they've poured into it since then is just a bonus in my opinion.
Nothing important here, move along.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2015, 09:54:05 am »

definitely enough content for a full game. For what they are selling, the price is already quite good.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2015, 10:12:45 am »

Agreed. They've added something like 4 new creatures in the last WEEK. This while announcing new features and slowly optimizing. I can run the game at about 10 FPS more than when I bought it, and I haven't changed my settings.

They have content from level 1-60. Nuff' said.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2015, 10:58:56 am »

And they're adding new content and plan on increasing the level cap soon.

They just added the Spinosaur. It's an apex predator that puts everything else in the game (except boss monsters) to shame. It's the only critter other than the raptor that you can't just outrun by sprinting, and it's stronger than a t rex.

Best way to escape them if herbivores aren't around seems to be running into a dense forest or rocks, away from the river. If you can get them to zigzag between stuff you might just get far enough away for them to lose interest. It's likely that they will one shot you if you haven't added to health or gotten good armor. If you have a nearby herbivore and run past it you might just lose it on them though, so that's generally your best bet when being chased by carnivores.

I haven't died to one yet, but have seen a lot and had a few chase me. I saw a guy walking along the river not paying attention when one of these leapt out of the river and took him out in one hit.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:12:40 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2015, 11:18:53 am »

snip................I haven't died to one yet, but have seen a lot and had a few chase me. I saw a guy walking along the river not paying attention when one of these leapt out of the river and took him out in one hit.

That's one of my favorite things, in that most creatures have radically different AI. Crocodiles and Spinosaurus will act as they should, chilling in or very near the water, and preferring to dart out of the water to grab you. Sabretooth tigers have routinely jumped from thick foliage to attack, sharks lazily move around, never stopping, until they slowly turn in your direction and sprint at you for a bite.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2015, 11:46:26 am »

And dilos seem to wander around a bit in a small group, and as soon as you attack one they all come out of the woodwork.
Clever girls..
* Ultimuh is immediately pounced upon and mutilated to death by five raptors.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2015, 11:51:09 am »

Oh, new patch reducing spino speeds. I thought it was nice them being so fast. Made something on land actually scary. Oh well.

Good that they fixed grenades, people were using them to blow the crap out of wood structures. I've been messing around a bit on an official server and saw a guy grenade a whole 2 story house to bits.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2015, 11:52:20 am »

Oh, new patch reducing spino speeds. I thought it was nice them being so fast. Made something on land actually scary. Oh well.

Good that they fixed grenades, people were using them to blow the crap out of wood structures. I've been messing around a bit on an official server and saw a guy grenade a whole 2 story house to bits.

So basically, the nerfing has begun.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2015, 11:58:09 am »

Well grenades definitely needed it. I don't personally think spinos needed toning down (their spawn rates yeah, they were everywhere, but I like seeing incredibly dangerous dinos around that I want to avoid at all costs).

I've been on official server 343 and still have yet to die to a dino (to other players, yeah - and to a swarm of bats when I went in a cave - but not to a dino). It's not that hard to avoid them if you're careful.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2015, 12:03:58 pm »

I logged on late last night, figured I'd grab a quick beacon and a load of wood before bed. As I approached the beacon, no less than 9 dilo's pounced on me. I was only able to stab 3 of them with my lance before they tore me to shreds, then set upon my poor parasaur. Sadly my camp was out of replacement lances and I don't have the engram, so I could only run back and try to punch them to death...I barely knocked two unconscious before they took me down again. I was forced to admit defeat. It took me a night and day to gather more berries and tame a replacement parasaur, and I ended up going to bed much later than planned.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2015, 12:45:18 pm »

9 Dilos is too many Dilos.

It seems that dinosaurs can either spawn alone or with a heard of 5-10 (ish). I've seen triceratops in herds as well.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2015, 01:05:33 pm »

The spinos are still fast. They seem to hit less hard though - I decided to attack one for kicks and it took it 3 hits to kill me (I have 150 health, no armor at the time).

After it hit me twice I ran and it still chased and finished me off, so they're still faster than starting char speed.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2015, 01:36:32 pm »

I have a question. Does anyone actually upgrade run speed? It's 2% a level, seems pointless. Not like you're going to be outrunning velociraptors on foot anyway.

Anyone have some proven benefits to this?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 47