Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151011 times)

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #480 on: September 04, 2016, 10:02:00 pm »

Man, playing the new DLC (with no experience in normal Ark) is harder than Dwarf Fortress rofl. I'd rate it as hard as Aurora 4x

I found a cool place to make a base, but to place a foundation+bed took 12 hours of non-stop dying to just place it and get to my base. The animals killed me so much. Never died so much before in any game ever.

People in chat said it was made for hardcore survival and a lot harder than normal Ark. So that is probably why

It was frustrating dying so much, but so much fun still. If I had a tribe, it probably be easier. Solo=hard as hell
It's mostly about technique, learn how to onestack meat to effectively make narcotics, and try to get a trike as soon as you can for berrypicking. Unless that's changed with the DLC.
Movement speed is your friend since Kiting is OP, also there's a mindwipe tonic which resets your levelpoints.

Well it IS partly learning, definitely. Though at least on the good-gaming server that was linked, people in chat said the DLC was made hardcore and to result in A LOT of death. Most people playing Ark for a while still die a lot in the DLC map. Maybe later on it isn't so bad once you learn it.

I went to a The Center server though. I like it a lot more. Its very pretty, and a lot easier going to survive. A lot better to learn. Plus it looks AMAZING, though the desert definitely looks very pretty too. But I find it a lot easier and more relaxed.

The new DLC is literally like playing a roguelike on the hardest difficulty rofl.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: September 04, 2016, 11:15:46 pm »

Someone had released a mod that unlocked all the DLC content for any map. All items and beasts. Super ballsy. It may have been taken down. But this is what one gets for charging to unlock on disc material.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: September 04, 2016, 11:35:48 pm »

Someone had released a mod that unlocked all the DLC content for any map. All items and beasts. Super ballsy. It may have been taken down. But this is what one gets for charging to unlock on disc material.

I haven't heard of that one, though haven't really looked too much into mods. Doesn't seem like a map that would last long. That be like including assets from Skyrim DLCs, but making it not require the actual DLC.

Also, The Center is vastly better than scorched map. The animals behave far more realistic. I know ark/SE has a lot of fantasy animals, that is definitely okay...but I never saw any herds of animals on SE. And on The Center, there are herds of animals, was awesome to watch. I saw a family of baby terror birds and a large mommy terror bird, and then as I was going "OMG SOOOO CUTE", I got eaten by terror birds.

The last game I saw "realistic" behaving animals is a heavily modded Skyrim and even then it was kinda meh. Saga of Ryzom is other closest example, and probably a better example than modded Skyrim.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 05, 2016, 11:30:58 am »

Here you go. Play with new things for free: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=758608778
Mystic Academy also works in the dlc content.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 05, 2016, 12:47:15 pm »

The author, Pegi, has also spoken to the devs, and this version apparently will not be taken down.  All the mod does is unlock the new creatures from scorched earth and populates maps with them, you build a shrine and activate it then go capture fantasy creatures.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 05, 2016, 02:37:21 pm »

https://arkservers.net/server/162.251.70.214:27053

If anyone wants to join me on The Center, I found a pretty good server linked above. Its a PVE server, since not interested in PvP in Ark. Feels better as a PVE game. Though population on it is kinda low (right now 4 people on, including myself. Last night there were 8 (including me). However, there are tons of areas to settle or take over that have been abandoned. I found a large base abandoned by a tribe and it has tons of animals I can claim in a few days. And a bunch of stuff I can destroy because they haven't been active in so long. So far I just have a small wooden house I've been expanding over time, and in process of taming a little lizard thing. But the tribe had a ton of resources, so was able to get off to a good start cause of that.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 08, 2016, 01:45:57 am »

Found a bunch of dinos for free that were abandoned. Including a T-rex, which is really awesome. He can fight anything and come out the victor lol, though I imagine if I get too careless he can get taken down by a pack. But he is awesome for traveling, really fast even without much movement bonus.

Also found a cave, in a bunch of ruins, that leads to...I guess an ice cave? Its really blue, but I can't actually mine anything in there. A ton of metal though at the entrance to the cave. I didn't go too far down though, cause there are bats, spiders and some kind of snake-like thing. I'd need to take the tranquilizer arrows to go down there, but I'm still setting up the base. I had a base on the coast, but found a way better location in the ruins, a bit inland from where I was. So gotta rebuild a bunch of stuff lol, but I got most of it.

Plus at both entrances to the large enclosure I set up in, I built behemoth dinosaur gates. Took four gateways and four doors total to complete, so a LOT of resources lol. That took almost all day to get resources for, even with dinosaurs to help. But now there is only a small gap for flyers to go in, so mostly blocked off. If I can, once I get a flyer, I'll probably put spikes on them, but there might still be an opening even then. Either way, no one is getting in on foot :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: September 08, 2016, 03:25:51 pm »

My main question would be whether it's one of those PvE servers where assholes have blocked off most of the good land with walls or pillar-spam.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 08, 2016, 03:43:15 pm »

My main question would be whether it's one of those PvE servers where assholes have blocked off most of the good land with walls or pillar-spam.

The area down south is pretty empty on the server. I didn't find any sign of building. But a lot harder to survive. I chose the central jungle (which is most populated), and there is quite a bit more construction along the water. Most of it can be demolished. But still not much at all, its a pretty small (but active) server. So, lots of room I find to build in. Some stuff was blocked off by an abandoned tribe, but I just demolished most of it and built in their land. Then I moved further inland, and found tons of abandoned stuff. The cave I found had some stuff in it, but I was still able to block off the main entrances and build in it. Which I found easily 8 or 10 dinos in the cave that I was able to claim lol, plus the t-rex as well.

I find everywhere I've gone, for most part, has stuff I can demolish because the activity timer ran out. In the central area, its a little bit more active but still a lot of abandoned stuff.

The server isn't dead, its pretty active at peak (yesterday I believe 10 or so people were on). Which is an optimal population for me personally, since I greatly dislike large servers. I like small, tight-knit (and friendly) communities. And if anyone joins it, you are likely to find free dinos and abandoned stuff lol.

Oh, and the server doesn't wipe (which is why there is so much abandoned dinos/settlements), so its recommended to demolish most old stuff anyway, since it helps server performance. Or just ignore it and leave it. But, either way the server has been up for a while (according to one long-term player) with no wipes. Wipes are pretty annoying anyway, especially if they happen every 1-3 weeks.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 08, 2016, 04:42:30 pm »

Cool, might check it out, since I was thinking about getting back into ARK.

3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 08, 2016, 05:31:51 pm »

The leveling multiplyer is way too low. Same with taming. I need another 20x server because unless you're mainlining XP it can still take dozens of hours before you can touch deep sea chests. The server can go belly up at any time.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: September 11, 2016, 12:00:08 am »

So I'm moving a 2nd time on the LORE The Center server. But not far. Though its a harder move than my first one.

Turns out, my cavern, which goes to this cold ice cave (which looks really pretty), goes to an area with a bunch of water, and finally to the Core. Its really awesome down here. There is always light, TONS of metal, tons of room to do stuff, not much in the way of really aggressive animals, a bunch of crystal and tons of supplies. I'd still need to travel to the surface, but the core is awesome. There are signs of people being down here and some buildings, but still tons of space. And it looks amazing.

Surprised my multiple trexes (I have 7 of them lol), could fit in the caves. I guess cause the hitbox is in the legs, so it can go through ceilings (like the cave tunnels) and not have much issue. Kinda funny, but now all my trexes are in the core :P

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: September 11, 2016, 02:20:43 am »

Started over in SP with maxed difficulty. The game actually feels challenging now.

3. Run Resize Enable

Exerosp

• Bay Watcher
  • Not Caught Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: September 11, 2016, 11:13:39 am »

Theres a trick/exploit in ARK to avoid falldamage. Jump off your mount the moment before you hit the ground. You'll take minimum damage and dinos don't take any falldamage unmounted. Seems like this isn't a known fact when I see some people take ridiculous amounts of falldamage.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: September 11, 2016, 01:31:57 pm »

Theres a trick/exploit in ARK to avoid falldamage. Jump off your mount the moment before you hit the ground. You'll take minimum damage and dinos don't take any falldamage unmounted. Seems like this isn't a known fact when I see some people take ridiculous amounts of falldamage.

Well, this changes everything!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 47