Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151085 times)

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #195 on: June 15, 2015, 07:50:27 pm »

Whats a good amount of health for my pets? My hunting group right now is a raptor as my mount with 600 HP and a dilo with 300 HP. I'm a bit worried that we won't be able to handle the bronto stomping around my camp. It's very annoying and I want to kill it.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 15, 2015, 07:50:58 pm »

I had a really creepy experience in a cave once. Nothing spawned, so I had free reign. It was... eerie. I probably could have gone through and just mined everything, but it was so unnerving I chickened out before I got anything particularly good.
Nothing important here, move along.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #197 on: June 15, 2015, 10:32:24 pm »

Few random tips from playing all this time, most of which I haven't heard anyone else mention:

Use a bedroll as a poor man's GPS. Plop it down, E on it to open quick travel map, see where you are, cancel, pick it back up. Bam, no longer lost.

Use the big obelisks as a directional compass. Green is on SW corner, red is on NW on the big mountain, and blue is about midway on the east side near the river crossing. Combining the usage of a bedroll to see where you are and looking to see where the obelisks are you can get anywhere without becoming lost.

Use the blood extraction syringe on yourself to get blood bags (or put in inv on sleeping people to take them from them, just note that it takes 25 health each use if you don't want to kill them). The blood bags can later be used to restore 20 health. So if you're sitting in a safe area and collecting wood or whatever you can be collecting blood bags from yourself, which for some reason don't ever spoil. And later you can use them while out hunting or pvping. I had 10 blood bags on me when some guy started shooting me with a rifle, thanks to the blood bags I was able to sprint back to him and stab him to death with my spear. Right now there isn't even a cooldown on them, so unless you drop dead in one hit you can survive indefinitely with enough of them.

If you're sick of gathering materials and making spears, the stone hatchet is actually good enough to kill most stuff (better than the pick). I always just use my stone axe to kill trikes and such (stay behind them and keep moving to avoid them turning and hitting you) and if I even make spears I save them for emergencies like a player or predator attack (or big swarm of dilos). Once you have metal, the metal hatchet is surprisingly good. Almost as good if not as good as a pike. Easy to take down argentavis and mammoths and such with one - and way lighter.

Tame a trike or stego when you can, they make gathering narco berries far easier.

Power level yourself enough to get wooden walls asap when starting on a new server, as anyone can and will break into thatch. A decently well hidden wood house will usually be left alone for weeks or more, while a thatch house on the beach will get wrecked over night usually.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 15, 2015, 10:36:56 pm »

Well, that was bullshit.  Just lost a whole hell of a lot of progress to lolspawns, first a pack of dilos appeared right on top of me, then a carno shows up from nowhere, and finally got tag-teamed by a mated pair of raptors.  Lost my armor, the trike I was taming, and my parasaur.  Fuck you too game.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2015, 05:12:04 pm »

Restarted my local game, reset map, new character.

My first tame this time is a level 22 trike. It's a terrible idea since it been about 3 days gathering berries and it's only halfway there.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2015, 05:29:07 pm »

My new parts came in and I had a chance to load up the game last night briefly. Sweet sweet frame rate improvement. It still took 7 minutes to load (I don't have a ssd anymore) but at least it was playable. Now to get in and play!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2015, 05:31:39 pm »

Tried to tame an Anky today...3 Rex's spawned in the area before I was 30% done. One of them an albino. With help from my tribe we managed to take down two, but the third ate my poor unconscious Anky before we could kill it.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2015, 06:01:48 pm »

The loading times are the worst part. I'm getting pretty tired of having to wait while the game takes forever to load the map.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:23 pm »

They're going to be decreasing server loadup times, though that may only affect starting the server up and not the map loadup. Even so, the loadup is long for a reason: it loads the entire map, underground and all, first time.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:47 pm »

They're going to be decreasing server loadup times, though that may only affect starting the server up and not the map loadup. Even so, the loadup is long for a reason: it loads the entire map, underground and all, first time.

I chalk it up to being early in the dev cycle but it is still a stupid system. There is no reason to do things that way. There is only so far the chapter can travel in a second so why would the game take a bunch of time loading assets from 5 or 6 times that range?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 16, 2015, 10:39:42 pm »

Probably because in-game loading would either cause lag as you traveled around the world and loaded new things or you'd have to deal with the game stopping for a second a-la Half Life 2 to load things in, and either way would both be immersion breaking and possibly fatal to your character.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2015, 10:08:32 pm »

Apparently DX10 support has finally been added, I am so eternally grateful. Thank god! Since I don't have my normal gaming laptop the games I haven't been able to play because I can only support up to DX10 have been laughing at me, MOCKING ME! Now I'll show them, AHAHAH, I'll show them all! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2015, 11:27:04 pm »

DX10 support has been there since about the third or fourth day. You could have gone into the game's properties and added -SM4 to the launch options. I've been playing like that for a while now, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it on here before, or someone else did. Maybe even multiple people.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2015, 11:28:03 pm »

DX10 support has been there since about the third or fourth day. You could have gone into the game's properties and added -SM4 to the launch options. I've been playing like that for a while now, and I'm pretty sure I mentioned it on here before, or someone else did. Maybe even multiple people.

So it seems, still runs like shit for me though. Alas, perhaps I will never be able to play this game.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 17, 2015, 11:35:05 pm »

What's your hardware? If you're using an older nVidia card and have been updating regularly, you might have a driver that's not the best for your card. I had that problem and rolled back a few dozen versions to the one that was best compatible with my card and it massively improved my game.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 47