Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 47

Author Topic: Ark: Survival Evolved  (Read 151089 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Ark: Survival Evolved
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2015, 10:51:26 am »

Oh, the connection thing is a long-standing issue. I'm surprised you haven't experienced it already, it's an issue they've been working on since day 3. Technically day 1 if you count the servers almost completely not functioning on launch.

I still don't get how you're having such bad luck, though as I think about it, the game does find nifty (and by nifty I mean annoying) ways to screw people over. Maybe it's just a difference in perception as to how one takes the bugs?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 10:53:15 am by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2015, 01:08:42 pm »

Another pre-purchase question...are there PvE servers?

I kinda hate the usual 'gang rape by idiots' cycle this kind of game usually has (DayZ...) if you don't have a group of friends watching your back!

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2015, 01:20:34 pm »

Another pre-purchase question...are there PvE servers?

I kinda hate the usual 'gang rape by idiots' cycle this kind of game usually has (DayZ...) if you don't have a group of friends watching your back!

Yes there are PVE servers. You can also play solo and there are PVP servers, normal servers and PVE servers. There are also unofficial servers with more specific rules.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2015, 03:16:37 pm »

It's too easy to die in this game to play hardcore imo. Logging in to find your level 30 character dead because some jerk with a trex smashed your house would suck. Or lagging out and dieing to a dilo.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2015, 04:13:44 pm »

Thats why you don't fight...as in real life survival is less about being the better killer and more about being the better ninja. Really brings up the survival aspect...also on a hardcore server you are gonna have a harder time finding anyone with a trex or otherwise high level

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2015, 10:01:01 am »

That's the thing with an import allowed server, people can just import cheated chars and dinos. I've had less random pks on official servers than there.

So far I still haven't had any of my beds destroyed on the official one. And I have like 8 set up across the map, a few even without walls.

This is the way I see it: If you are playing on a server that doesn't allow imports, and get up to level 25 (the level required to build your own metal tools and start destroying buildings with them) or spend several hours taming a dinosaur that can destroy a building and finding a saddle for it (also requires some levels, not sure lowest level a dino can kill wooden buildings) then you have a decent bit of time invested on that server. At that point you want to keep playing that character, as he's over the initial difficult bit and can now build his own semi-secure houses and make nice things for himself.

On the other hand, if you just cheated a high level char into the server, with your high level dino mount (which doesn't even need a saddle if it's cheat tamed), you don't have much to lose.

In which case do you think someone is more likely to be a dick and go around destroying buildings and killing people, potentially making lots of enemies and even maybe getting banned if the server owner doesn't like it?

Now on pvp servers there will be raiders, but they will also have a base of their own. Which means if they raid too much you can probably get together some other folks also raided and raid them back. You don't see the people with nothing to their name just roaming around on a trex smashing buildings because they can - someone who can tame a trex generally has a base and a lot of time invested on that server. I actually saw this play out on the server I'm on (official 343). People started talking about getting raided by this one group, and one of them was like "Well why don't we raid them? I know where their base is. Anyone have c4?" Then they organized to talk over steam instead of in game. A few hours later I see someone else remark "Holy shit, those ____ guys got raided bad. Their base is in shambles."

-edit- In other news, the 175 patch notes look nice. I especially like the tribe governance thing, sounds like you might be able to organize it where people keep individual property and also have tribe property (which would be awesome for loose knit tribes like a b12 group). Crops grow twice as fast and resources respawn faster too.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 11:01:29 am by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 15, 2015, 01:38:44 pm »

Am I really going to be the first person to point out that ARK is a graphic update of Stranded II's dino-hell islands?  Same crafting economy elements, same interface, same mechanical implementations, same way that plants sink into the ground when you harvest them out.

I'm not saying that's bad per se, this is just a lot more... familiar... than I guess I expected.

At least multiplayer is a whole new dimension.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 15, 2015, 01:41:05 pm »

Great, now I'm sad we don't have boats and it's all your fault.  :'(

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 15, 2015, 02:40:36 pm »

Didn't stranded just have raptors? I don't remember it being near as complex crafting or survival elements either.

If this game is just a graphic update of Stranded 2 then I guess Crusader Kings 2 is just a graphic update of Lords of the Realm.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 15, 2015, 02:58:05 pm »

I'd say ARK took a lot of cues from Stranded II because for a very long time Stranded II was basically the 3D survival game, and it was pretty good at it.

Nevertheless, the Engram system is a very big change from the generic 'try things out until you find what fits together' of most survival games, and I'd personally say it's a pretty cool idea.

As for boats, the ARK developers mentioned vehicles on one of their digests. I think boats will probably end up in the game, but don't be surprised if some of the early ones aren't terribly useful for anything. I'm not sure Megalodons, Spinosaurs, and the eventual Liopleurodons will care about the thin wooden shell between them and delicious human meat.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 15, 2015, 04:39:44 pm »

Great, now I'm sad we don't have boats and it's all your fault.  :'(

Who needs a boat when you can tame a Megalodon?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 15, 2015, 06:15:33 pm »

Tamed my first dinosaur today, a white/grey Parasaur who now goes by the moniker 'Ghost'.  Also got jumped by three spiders while hunting dodos, brought them down without any real difficulty, but kind of an unexpected surprise.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 15, 2015, 06:20:39 pm »

Holy crap I'm getting metal at the beach.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2015, 07:22:15 pm »

You can get metal from any rock now, and those very rounded rocks have a slightly better chance of having metal. However, you end up needing a lot of metal for anything particularly big like structures, and that's best gotten from the striated rocks found on hills.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 15, 2015, 07:33:41 pm »

Note that caves have ridiculous amounts of metal. You'll fill your weight capacity in minutes, provided you can kill the wildlife.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 47