Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: I told them I could be anything...  (Read 27196 times)

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I told them I could be anything...
« Reply #180 on: June 16, 2015, 07:38:02 pm »

OOC:

Spoiler: Alyssa's Current Stats (click to show/hide)

Stat increases by the system I'm going by for rough guidelines and boundries are fairly potent - you're the equal of two people a point lower in many cases and they range from 1 (feeble) to 10 (divine)

The boost to regeneration would lead up to instantaneous healing with a much lower level of stress on Alysa's body in terms of energy.
The phoenix upgrade on the other hand would lead later to being "reborn" in physically healthy and rested state as required.
Neither's more powerful than the other, but they both lend a different vibe to what Alyssa becomes.

I'll do an update after I've slept, to give people time to change their mind if they wish.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 16, 2015, 09:23:09 pm »

I change my vote to Phoenix.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 17, 2015, 07:46:08 am »

...With the phoenix, We can die but we cannot end. Eternal.

SELECT: [ETERNAL PHOENIX]

BECOME WREATHED IN FLUID WHITE-BLUE FLAMES AS WE ARE RESTORED
THE FLAMES WILL LINGER WITHIN OUR EYES AND OUR HAIR FOR MOMENTS AFTER BEING RESTORED
CUS IT WOULD BE AWESOME
AND WHEN WE USE IMMENSE POWER THE FLAMES IGNITE AGAIN
FIRST FROM EYES
THEN TO HAIR
AND WE WILL LOOK SO BADASS AS WE WALK WITH FLAMING HAIR AND EYES
EMBERS MOMENTARY FLICKING IN AND OUT AROUND US
OCCASIONALLY IGNITING
GIVING THE APPEARANCE OF VEILS OF FLAME CAUGHT IN A INVISIBLE VORTEX OF WIND
SO
AWESOME
of course, the flames could merely appear as we "resurrect" as well. maybe our power even peaks for just a few moments when we have resurrected?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 07:47:41 am by Fallatus »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 17, 2015, 08:13:27 am »

+1 to Eternal Phoenix.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 17, 2015, 09:44:10 am »

"Well, Alyssa, I think we should-" you raised a finger as you interrupted the boss, perhaps going back to their facilities and spending the night there was a good idea, but you wanted to make it clear that if you co-operated from now on that it was on your terms.
Not because you were throwing your weight around simply because you could, no.
You simply wanted to make it clear that you had a say in these matters.
"No, you're not going to tell me that you're taking me back to the facilities. Until I have some form of employment or affiliation that has me answering to you, please, ask me. I doubt you'd appreciate it if our positions were reversed, so please, please, show some courtesy."
There was a pause.
"If you show me that courtesy, I'll do my best to show the same to you. It isn't easy for me being in this position, given I'm still feeling out what has changed, dealing with the chaotic rollercoaster of emotions that goes with this. If you'll try for me, I'll do my best to try with you."
There was another pause before the boss slowly nodded.

"Very well Alyssa. We have set a room aside for you back at our facilities, the plan had been to have you placed near Millicent so that she could have handled your any needs that cropped up for you. Given that Millicent is currently no incapable of carrying out that duty for obvious reasons, if you'll come back with me I shall asign a temporary liason to you until Millicent, as to the best of my knowledge, can return to duty."
It was about what you'd hope for with him being straight with you. Of course, you knew it could be better than that, but this was fair enough and you couldn't complain that he wasn't bending over backwards for you. You'd asked him to be fair with you, not to bow to your whims.
"Okay, while I consider my response to this, I do have a question for you. What happened just with the representative and the entire situation leading-"
The manner in what the boss furrowed his brows conveyed a clear displeasure over the matter, you knew already that he didn't like these people, yet there was something more than this.
"Alyssa, they are an agency that was created to fulfill much the same role as our one, after our one was transferred into government hands for funding and control. They have better funding, less bureaucracy, more freedom to act as they see fit. That some of their agents had gone rogue is troublesome, as it suggests that their loose structure permits an element of corruption to hide amidst their ranks. Your interactions with them on the other hand, I cannot say I am pleased with. I would have preferred them to be kept in the dark over what you had found, but there is a silver lining to this cloud. If you will permit one of our agents to accompany you to the inevitable meeting with the Queen-"
"Inevitable?" you interrupted.
"Yes, she will be... Most interested in you, given that both our agency and theirs... Ah, I should not tell you this, but both agencies were founded by Queen Victoria, ours publically, that lead to us eventually being transferred into government control, theirs less so and later, along with deals we do not know the nature of that permitted them to remain under the control of the crown. Ours, and theirs too I presume, where founded in the memory of her childhood friend."

The thousand soul, it had to be.
Here you were living in the shadow of this man, seeing how he had touched all these shadowy aspects of the history of this land.

"So, you wish for an agent to accompany me?"
"Yes, given the manner that the agents attempted to snatch you in, you can refuse a meeting if you are not permitted to bring along another for your well being. It shall be humoured, given that they will wish to gain your trust."
"So, you wish to listen in on what they have for my ears only?"
"To be frank, yes."
"Is that your name?"
"No, it's an expression-"
"I know that, but you look like a Frank."
"No, I am no Frank," the faintest hint of a smile came to the bosses face as he attempted to remain serious. "I know that you have little reason to do this, little reason to trust either of our agencies, but, if you wish to work with us in this manner I shall ensure that the trail of information it leads through is presented to you, so that you may, alongside us, unwravel the mystery that is your nature."
"It's food for thought," you responded as you turned your attention briefly to your dwindling cake. "I'll give it some serious consideration, as, as you are quite aware, I have little trust for anybody at this point. As for lodging and a liason, I'll accept that, as I don't know if I like the alternatives I can think of," you stated.

You knew that you could approach the LPD and attain lodging for the night with them - you were a witness in an ongoing case, amongst other things.
You could also approach the other agency and ask them to put you up instead, but you knew that couldn't be a smart move at this point.
You could sleep on the streets, but that was even more foolish given the nature of this city and, well, you knew London didn't have much of a homeless problem.
The things that went bump in the night had to be why.

The rest of your cake was quickly consumed as you noted that it would be hard to eat this on the way back to the agencies facilities.
In doing so, you could feel an uncomfortable warmth starting to blossom through your chest.
Perhaps it was a sign that you shouldn't have eaten so fast, a sign that you were stressed and food wasn't quite the best option.
Perhaps it was neither.
That uncomfortable warmth was blossoming up as it radiated through your chest in a way unlike any sensation of heartburn you'd ever experienced before.
It felt fierce.
Powerful.
Indomitable.

And then it was gone once more, leaving you feeling more than a little confused as you patted at your chest.
"You're going to do everything you can for Millicent, right?" you asked as the boss lead you towards the exit of the LPD's station.
"Of course, Millicent... Should not be here for long before it is determined that she was acting both yours and her defence. However, the fact that she is currently in a new form will present difficulties."
"Such as?"
"Such as her most likely wishing not to remain in a masculine form for longer than required."
"So, there's boy and girl versions of what she is?"
"This comes as a surprise?"
"Well, no, I guess not, I was curious though. She didn't seem to want to talk about herself much in that manner."
"Does that surprise you, either?"
"No... Do you like Millicent?"
"I do not. She frequently challenges my authority, she disregards my orders where she feels that they are problematic. She gets results however and I respect that she is willing to put herself on the line as she often does," came his words as he lead you towards a very fancy looking car parked out front.
Then past it, towards a plain white family car.

That was anti-climatic.
And there was the burning sensation in your chest again.

"Are you well, Alyssa?" came the bosses words with some concern.
"I'm fine, why?"
"You look paler than usual."
"I think stress and the cake aren't agreeing with me, it's nothing."
"If you insist," with those words he unlocked the doors of the car, presenting the passenger seat door to you even as he clambered into the drivers side.

While the car was a family one, it bore little sign of being anything other than his one - the drivers seat was set for him, the passenger seat was set at much the same distance. There was little in the way of dirt and debris other than what had been tracked in from outside - a few dead leaves and some mud on the floor mats.
You were dimly made aware that this barely likable man was single.
It was hardly a surprise given he was likely married to the job.

Of course, you had the key from earlier - the one with a seven printed upon it, so... You were going to be housed opposite Millicent's currently vacant accomodation.
That was somewhat grim a thing to think of, knowing that right across from your room was the entirety of her life in stasis.
She wouldn't have had much of a life beyond this, you assumed after all.

Work, accomodation from work, whatever free time she could muster to enjoy herself.
It was the british dream.
Work yourself into a grave while the damn Tories told you that it was your own fault that you hadn't broken free of the rat race.

As your journey by car had you  reach the agency - and the housing opposite it, you asked yourself, did you trust these people enough to permit them to send an agent with you with what they assumed to be inevitable tomorrow?
Did you tell the boss your answer now so he would be able to plan in advance, or would you sleep on it?

Spoiler: Alyssa (click to show/hide)

---

Phoenix it is. Reality Weaver gets a new name - Phoenix'll be upgradable further at a later point if you wish to expand it toward the scope you're mentioning.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 17, 2015, 11:49:23 am »

sleep on it
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 17, 2015, 02:18:34 pm »

We graciously allow an agent to tag along, Then we will settle into our prearranged living commodities. We already got a key, Why waste it.
We need to recuperate for now. Thinking will be done when we need to.
Reflect on all that's happened today and laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Before you go to bed, try to use the key on reality itself. Maybe well unlock something we shouldn't?

We're gonna end up burning the house down somehow, Aren't we?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:21:29 pm by Fallatus »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:34 pm »

We graciously allow an agent to tag along, Then we will settle into our prearranged living commodities. We already got a key, Why waste it.
We need to recuperate for now. Thinking will be done when we need to.
Reflect on all that's happened today and laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Before you go to bed, try to use the key on reality itself. Maybe well unlock something we shouldn't?

We're gonna end up burning the house down somehow, Aren't we?
Or worse. But only if it does something unpleasant. TIME TO FIND OUT!!!

This is a +1, by the way.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 18, 2015, 08:41:04 am »

"I was considering giving you my answer after i'd had a chance to sleep on it," you started as you clambered from the bosses car, a moment take as you stood upright to lean against the roof, to look across it at the man as he stood there expectantly.
There was an unspoken 'but' hanging in the air as you took a deep breath, as you wondered if it was truly wise to do this now and give him time to make arrangements instead of rushing at the last minute.
Or worse, having him plan for the possibility that you'd say no, so that he could figure a way of bugging you in advance.
"But," you continued as you curled your fingers up into your palm, balling a hand into a fist out of sight as you felt the bite of your nails against your skin. "I believe that a show of faith on my part towards you, by permitting you to send an agent to accompany me... Lets just say that permitting this is against my better judgement, so it gives you a chance to prove me wrong."
"Of course, I have no intention of betraying your trust in this matter," came his response as he offered you an awkward smile.

In this matter.
That was what stood out, a half truth to hide the threate of betrayal seeping through.
You were uncertain if you were picking up on something at this moment other than your own paranoia, but you knew that it was wise to remain wary with these people and their counterparts in HMSO.
"I trust them less, but any attempt to move against me would fast shift my perception of them comparatively," you added, watching as the man nodded, almost as if he was trying to appease you.
He had what he desired here, he had the co-operation he required to justify gathering intelligence from the other agency without them being permitted to do anything about it.
Of course he was going to attempt to be your friend more than before at this point, he was transparent in his desires to prove he wasn't the incompetant he was painted up to be.
"That goes without saying," came his response as you slammed the passenger side of the car shut.
"I'm going to need new clothes for this. I can't just... Meet the Queen wearing clothing like this, I couldn't even if it wasn't bloodied and damaged," you mumbled as you took a moment to glance at the back of your legs, where the jeans you wore sported three holes and extensive blood stains.
"I'll ensure that you have clothing to replace what you are wearing delivered by morning, along with something appropriate for the meeting."
"Thank you. I'm going to go sleep now, I've found myself exausted every day since I arrived here," you stated as you paused to gesture towards the building you'd pulled up outside. "That's where I'm sleeping, right?"
"It is, do you have the key you were provided with."
"Yeah, room seven. Goodnight."
"Goodnight, Alyssa."

The converted block of flats was everything you'd expect of a building from the seventies. Concrete stairwell, dingy interior, poorly illuminated.
A perfect welcome for you at this point.
The air inside was cold and ever so slightly damp, but that didn't matter - you could tolerate this being nothing noteworthy as long as it was safe.
So, you ascended the stairwell as the steady echo of your footfalls reverberated off the hard walls that surrounded you until you reached the floor where numbers seven and eight sat opposite each other.
That must have been Millicent's place.
With the key in the lock you swung the door open to reveal the place you had been assigned, a place that did little with its first impressions - but little to put you off.
It was a typical case of fitting everything into one area, a combined living, cooking and eating area with two doors off it for the bathroom and and bedroom.

Bed, that was what you wanted right now.

You made your way through the room with... Period fixtures and cream walls disdainfully, ignoring the once rich brown of the upholstered chairs and the plain lamp as you checked the most likely of the doors first.
Of course, it was the one you wanted - and it was just as outdated as the room you'd just walked through.
The beds covers were white with a floral print, the pillows were cream, the carpet was a dark green. There were a few wardrobes, but you didn't care much for them at the moment.

Sleep was calling.

It didn't matter that this was a strange place with strange people watching over you - people that you didn't feel you could trust.
No, this was a bed and right now, you needed to sleep.
It was cool against your skin as you clambered in, the few things in your pockets placed on the bedside cabinet as you settled down.
Then, almost on some whim, you reached for the key.
If you could make reality itself cry for you to stop bending it over backwards, perhaps something like this, something symbolic...

No, that was stupid.
Wasn't it?

You weren't entirely certain how you could focus on making a key unlock more than a door, yet you reached forward and above you with it, pausing as you envisioned it fitting into a lock - and then with a turn...

...You found yourself feeling rather silly.

There was no tell tale sensation of your body becoming fatigued, no sensation about you of reality begging you to stop.
Nothing, but the burning of your cheeks as you placed the key back down and spent just a little longer than would have been needed before as you tried to smother that sensation of shame and drift off to sleep.

It was after you fell asleep that you found yourself dreaming of an older age, of a place you knew instinctively to be the outskirts of London, yet you'd seen only seen places of this nature in books.
Golden fields of wheat stretched out about you while piecemeal drystone walls lined dirt paths between isolated farmsteads.
You'd never been here before and yet... And yet it felt so familiar to you.
You knew if you went up the road you were stood on that you'd meet a farmer that the name of just escaped your grasp - a fellow with a wife that never approved of his antics.
Of course, that, you told yourself, was what your dream wanted you to do.
You'd reach the farmhouse and the dream'd become a nightmare.
No, you were onto it, you'd explore the surroundings instead.

Clambering over one of the walls, you started through the field, the whispering rustle of wheat swaying in an unseen breeze filling your ears as you made your way towards a toolshed.
If you were going to be attacked in your dream, if it was going to become a nightmare, you were going to arm yourself first.
You weren't stupid.
You didn't trust all the scarecrows you could see about you either, they were prime nightmare material as well.
All you had to do was get too close, or take your eyes off them for too long and they'd spring to life and attack you.
The shed seemed to grow no closer, even as you attempted to walk towards it.

Oh, it was this kind of dream.
Spinning about, you turned your back towards the shed and started to walk backwards towards it, smiling to yourself as it grew closer once again - take that, dream!
The relative silence of this sleepy scene was shattered as gunshots rang out from inside the shed, crows taking to the skies all about you as they fled from the noise, from the perceived threat. Even as the ringing in your ears from the sound died down, the door to the shed burst open and a figure burst from it - a pale man with dark hair and piercing eyes.
A man who was a man and a cloud of conflicted emotions all at once - you could barely see him through a haze of emotion that washed out from him like a black cloud.
Horror, anxiety, despair.
This man was disquieted and-

Fleeing.
Fleeting, from the shed as he stumbled across the fields, leaving you to glance inside at...
You weren't even certain what you were looking at, but the inside of the shed was covered in blood and bones, with a thing in the midst of it all, laying motionless while wounds upon its chest oozed.

"Quite the sight, ain't it Boss?" came a voice from behind you, prompting you to spin about as you pointed a finger threateningly at the form of a... Of a farmhand?
"Easy now, don't need t'threaten me with those things," came the mans words he rose his hands, then used one of them to gently nudge your hand away.
The man was a well built and weathered from working the fields, with curly brown hair, a classically handsome appearance and stubble. He was the kind of person that you'd have expected to see in this fitting in a movie, that was exactly why he felt out of place to you now.

"Who are you?" you hissed as you rose your finger once more. If it worked to threaten him, that reflexive action you'd used initially would do to keep him at arms length, right?
"A better question is, who're you?" came the mans response as he raised his hands once more. "I mean, y'here where 'm workin', threatenin' me 'n y' not even awake."
"What?"
"Come on, Boss, y'can stop threatenin' me," came his words as he glanced down at your hand. "I ain't never done nothin' to you."
"You snuck up on me."
"Y'back were turned f'half an hour, I didn't do no sneakin'."
"My back was turned for seconds."
"I told y', yer asleep. Time flows funny f'y' when y'sleepin'."
"I want answers, or else... Or else I'll-"
"Oh, y'don't even know how t' use that. Great, y' could' 'ave blasted me t'dust, Boss, an' my sole consolation'd have been that y' didn' know what y' were doin'. Okay, lower y' hand, lets talk this over like gentlemen an' ladies."
"How about I wake up instead?"
"Wouldn't recommend it, y'body is cookin' right now."
"Wait, what?"
"Didn' y'hear me?" the man sighed as you lowered your hand. "Y' on fire, body needs a li'l longer t' settle, wakin' now could be messy."
"How messy?"
"Conflagration an' stuff, y'd burn th' entire buildin' down."
"This isn't a dream, then?"
"Oh, y'dreamin', I pulled y't' my domain though. Needed t'talk with y' Boss, y'see-"
"Who are you?" you demanded, but the figure never stopped speaking. Instead, he placed a hand against your shoulder, leading you towards the wall bordering the field at a rate that had it approach faster than it should have.
"Y'drawin' too much attention, Boss. Need t' learn t' burn y'flames a li'l dimmer, yeah?"
"What if I don't want to?" you asked as a look of discomfort came to the mans features.
"The brighter y'burn, th' more y'seen. Y'know there's shit out there almost as scary as me, right?"
"You're not really scary," you laughed pathetically as you settled on the wall.
"So y'say, Boss. Y'never had reason t'fear me, though. Jus' a bogeyman, f'gotten an' all."
"Who are you?"
"Jus' remember, I've seen some o'this b'fore an' all. Brighter y'burn, t' more can see y'. Th' peelers o' yer time are jus' th' start, never did like th' bastards. Worse'n them's out there though, an' yer-"
"Not ready?" you laughed. "You're scared of me, why should things you say aren't as bad as you be an issue for me?"
"I ain't scared o'yer Boss. I just tire o'havin' t' put m'self back t'gether every time some immortal prat tosses their weight aroun' thinkin' they're more than an' inconvenience."
"Perhaps I should burn brighter then, bring them all-"
"Yer flippin' ego knows no bounds, does it. Yer a blinkin' half baked lunatic barkin' at yer own shadow while things in th' night go bump outta yer sight."
"I'm struggling not to laugh at you right now, you know."
"Course y' are, y' dreamin', I'm makin' allowances f' that bein' why y' an awkward, disrespectful shit. I ain't y' enemy Boss, but if y' gonna go about barkin' f' attention-"
"Bark. Bark. Bark."
"Y'impossible."
"You won't even tell me who you are," you huffed as you folded your arms across your chest.
"Bloody 'umans an y' need t' put a name on everythin'," the mans expression darkened - as did the skies. "Go on, get out. Maybe y'll be a bit more receptive next time we talk."

With that the figure reached towards you, his hand slamming into your chest as he knocked you backwards, over the wall and to the ground.
The ground, that swallowed you up as you tumbled into it like water - like dense water that filled your mouth and nose as you tried briefly to scream, then awoke from that surreal dream gasping for breath.

The scent of the farmland lingered on the edges of your senses and the taste of dirt in your mouth telling you that this dream hadn't been entirely such.
Even as the experience faded slowly from your memories despite your best efforts to keep it in mind you swung your legs from your bed. Just what had he meant by conflagration if you'd awoken early?
It wasn't important you figured as you made your way to the bathroom, extra effort made to get rid of the taste in your mouth as you went about your morning routine, before making your way back into the main living space where you could see a stack of clothing complete with a note atop it on the table awaiting your attention.

The note wasn't entirely what you expected - while it started off telling you that you that you had clothing both for general wear, there was an additional segment to it in another persons handwriting stating a time, along with how you had been invited to breakfast with the Queen.
Breakfast, with the Queen.
You... Didn't feel as starved as before, now you thought about it.
Breakfast would be nice, given you felt you wouldn't make a show of yourself by pigging out in an effort to deal with the fact your body kept telling you it was suffering starvation whenever you used your power.
Though this meant that you were taking one of the agencies employees to breakfast with the Queen.

Was she going to make them sit outside, or stand in a corner?
You liked the thought of that, actually, the thought of some secret agent made to stand in the corner facing the wall for daring to turn up to this uninvited.

The clothing they'd picked out for it was nice, though not something you'd consider wearing outside of such occasions. A frilly, old style blouse, a long skirt with ruffles, an overcoat and a... No, you were NOT wearing a bonnet.
Meeting the Queen or not, that was a step too far.
The rest of it was donned, complete with the footwear that had been set out - a set of shoes that had a slightly raised heel and pointed toes.

Finally satisfied with your state of dress you stepped from the small living space you'd been assigned only to find a familiar face awaiting you outside the door.
You'd expected someone, sure, you'd hoped for Millicent, but you knew that you were unlikely to see her for a while.
You'd expected the boss, honestly, yet here you were face to face with Tom, who was dressed in heavy body armour, had an assault rifle slung before him and several handguns in full display.
Was their intent to send him looking like a one man army, so they could warn the others away from you or something?
"Morning Alyssa, I've been assigned to perform the role of your bodyguard today," came his words as he attempted to offer you a reassuring smile, yet you felt anything but.
"We're meeting the Queen and you're going dressed like that?" you asked as you gestured to his body armour.
"Of course. They understand that after the incident with their agents going rogue that we want someone else on site to ensure your well being. You look nice."
"Uh... Thanks?"
"I'm basically armed to act as a deterrant, whomever was behind the move against you will be less willing to try and snatch you if you're protected."
"Or, they could shoot you and then snatch me."
"I'd like to see them try."
"All they have to do is wait for you to turn your back-"
"Most of the people employed here have some form of minor talent, we'll be fine, grumpy-kins."
"What did you call me?"
"Oh, sorry," Tom paused as he started making a series of gestures, ones that you recognised as sign language, though you had no clue what he was saying with your complete lack of knowledge. "Better?"
"I have no idea what you just said to me, but I'm going to assume it was mocking me."
"Nah, I just told you I don't speak sign language, in sign language. It's about as much as I know how to say. Lets get going though, if we're late the boss'll fire me and he'll employ you so he can fire you."

With that Tom started on his way down the stairs towards the exit out of the block of flats - followed closely by you as you made a mental note to never wear the shoes you were in again. They were far from the most comfortable things you'd ever worn, and well, they were also far from what you'd consider wearing, too.
As you made your way down the stairwell and out of the flats you took note of how they'd elected to send you there in one of their jeeps instead of making a more formal arrival. You couldn't blame them, you supposed, but it would have been nice to have gone in the back of a slightly more luxurious car.

As you clambered into the jeep you found yourself wondering if there was anything that you wanted to ask over breakfast - you knew you were going there for answers, to provide answers for them, but it would be foolish not to try and figure what else you could get in the way of answers, wouldn't it?
Though another question nagged away at the back of your mind - just what had you encountered last night in that dream?

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 18, 2015, 11:08:14 am »

The being is obviously someone we shouldn't anger, even if we are mightier than it. next time we meet it, be a bit more polite won't ya? Apologize y'know, Ok?
As for the message... We are an untempered storm and need to calm down into a gentle breeze. or without metaphor, Be more considerate when using our powers, For there are terrible being out there that could break us in moments.

And for the breakfast questions, We're having breakfast with the queen...
Maybe ask about what they know? Details about the agencies? Maybe an un-redacted library?
Also, Most important: Remain polite. This is the queen herself. Be nice.

Completely unrelated. Have you considered why the key idea didn't work was because you didn't have a destination?
Also, Its nothing to be embarrassed about, we have to try after all don't we?

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 18, 2015, 01:14:08 pm »

The being is obviously someone we shouldn't anger, even if we are mightier than it. next time we meet it, be a bit more polite won't ya? Apologize y'know, Ok?
As for the message... We are an untempered storm and need to calm down into a gentle breeze. or without metaphor, Be more considerate when using our powers, For there are terrible being out there that could break us in moments.

Maybe ask about what they know? Details about the agencies? Maybe an un-redacted library?

Completely unrelated. Have you considered why the key idea didn't work was because you didn't have a destination?

-1 to key shenanigans, +1 to the rest.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 18, 2015, 03:49:20 pm »

I'm in favor of key shenangns.

So plus one to both
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 18, 2015, 04:35:45 pm »

+1 to this vote. Now is not the time for key shenanigans.

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 18, 2015, 04:40:32 pm »

+1 to this vote. Now is not the time for key shenanigans.

Oh i was not suggesting we did any "shenanigans" right now, But perhaps sometime in the future when we are not inconvenienced by such experimentation.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 19, 2015, 09:18:30 am »

"Okay, lets get out of here," came Tom's words as the jeep pulled out of the agencies grounds, the force of the vehicles sudden acceleration pressing you back - briefly - into your chair as you pulled your seatbelt on.
"Could I put the radio on?" you asked as the man beside you gave you a brief shrug.
"Sure, but it has to go off once we reach the palace grounds, wouldn't do to serenade the Queen with the squeaky voices of whatever pop idol they're playing after all."
"Okay," you laughed, the thought of the Queen looking on in horror as she was subjected to some egotistical pop star's whining voice was quite an amusing one. You were certain that she wouldn't approve and you could almost hear her command to 'silence that dreadful racket' as you reached down for the radio's knob.
A few buttons and switches were pressed and flicked as you turned the radio on and tuned into one of stations it was able to pick up.
Then you paused.
Classical wasn't what you were after.
You flicked through a few more channels as you go talk radio, the weather, the news, and finally, between snippets of 'classic' music from a few of the oldies themed stations, you finally got something more modern.

With that as background noise to provide a more comfortable and familiar vibe for the journey, you settled back in the chair and watched the passing scenery go by. Residential and business, the alternating weight of the two's numbers was apparent as you drove along the main roads where the greatest amounts of custom where to be found.
It was comforting in a way to know that things never changed in that respect, that you could go anywhere and find something of an echo of home.
At the same time, it was disquieting to know that this city kept up the illusion of normality while it had monsters slither about in the darkness.
Monsters, like you'd been called.
You couldn't let that one slip, as it felt as if it could be true.

You weren't just different, you were supremely different.
Even the Enlightened with their inhuman features and various powers were far from your scope.
It was a lonely mountain to sit upon, but it wasn't as if you had plans to use it to distance yourself from others, no. It was simply a means to measure just how different you were from others, how you were well and truly unique.

With the time to muse on it, you reflected upon the dream you'd had, on how what little you could still recall of it was still fighting to flee from your mind even now.
You had encountered someone - no, something - that you felt you couldn't afford to anger.
Something that had taken offence to your dream self acting like, well, yourself in a dream.
You could have easily dismissed the entire thing as little more than a dream fabricated by your mind to help you cope with how everything you had every known was changing - and you with it - but you couldn't account for the fact you'd awoken to the taste of dirt and... Well, the vague sense that you'd seen an echo of the past in that dream.
Whom's past, you had no idea, but you knew that it was a snipped of another life, stolen and presented to you to give you a sense of connection to the dream itself.

This meant that there was another player amidst the various factions you already knew and had dealings with.
There was ASP, the people that had found you and wished to keep you from leaving their hands.
There was HMSO, the people that wished to poach your talent whom's ultimate authority seemed to be the Queen herself.
There was the rogue agents from HMSO and the outsider whom had tried to snatch you, telling you that there was another faction making a power play out there.
There was the LPD and the Guardians, the police and the Enlightened that worked for them.
You didn't know where the Enlightened proper fitted into this puzzle yet, but you were starting to see the various ties between the groups that had their histories fit together.

There was also The Guild, whom had made no effort to approach you - likely due to a lack of awareness over your existance at this time.
And now there was this entity, who had warned you off using your powers freely. As they had so simply conveyed it, the brighter you burned the easier you were to see and well, the LPD were proof of that. Every time you'd used your powers they'd come running in one form or another to ask about it.
They'd sent armed officers last time, telling you that even if the uses of your power so far had been far from impressive in some senses, that you were doubtlessly lighting up all kinds of warning lights.
If they could detect you, others could.
ASP had, HMSO likely had.
Whom, or what else was out there that could?

You shuddered at the thought, there could easily be ancient things out there that had seen you, that you had yet to see yourself.
And you were at a disadvantage as they could come for you before you knew of them.

You'd figure a way to deal with that when it came, but for now, you were going to watch the scenery go by and... And...
Well, you'd just let the scenery go by and listen to the radio.

"We're being followed," Tom's voice stated, snapping you from your reverie as you went to turn about, to look to see what was following you this time. "Don't turn, you'll be too obvious. They're likely HMSO's lot, making sure we get there, but you can never be too careful. If not, well, you'll be fine, I'll make sure of it."
"That's not very reassuring," you mumbled as you reached down to rub at the back of your legs where you'd been shot last time. There was no tell tale sensation of discomfort, no sensation of some foreign body telling you that you still had bullets lodged in your flesh.
"No, don't worry about it. If they try to pull anything, I'll react accordingly."
"You'll shoot them?"
"If it escalates to that point, yet."
"What if they shoot you first?"
"If they manage that then we're dealing with something more than garden variety agents."
"And you'll be dead."
"Only if they get a clean headshot."
"You're very calm about this."
"I've nothing to far from them, so calm down. We'll get there no trouble," Tom smiled as he pressed his foot down against the jeeps accelerator.

You could feel yourself pressed back into the seat once more as the jeep weaved between traffic, as Tom put distance between you and the pursuing car - briefly it seemed, as the stolen glances and sour expressions he pulled told you all you needed to know.
"They're definately following us. Okay, we're sticking to busy roads remaining visible as a precaution."
"How do they know who to follow?"
"Either they're picking up on you, that's unlikely, or they're going by the registration of this vehicle."
"So, they're using a little guess work and a little-" you paused "They could have bugged it, too?"
"There's always that as well," he muttered as he turned the wheel and took the jeep onto one of the busier roads.

You were uncertain if this was wise, if they really wanted you then they'd use the more densely packed roads to get you while you were unable to move as fast, snatch you in borad daylight.
Yet, Tom had promised you that you would be okay, he was armed and confident.
Was that confidence his downfall, or was he right to be so?

It was twenty more nerve wracking minutes of being followed by the other car before the palace finally came into sight, before Tom reached down to flick the radio off as he pulled papers and identification out of the driver side door's inner pockets.
An array of guards and gate keepers were flashed those papers and passes as you arrived at the gates of the palace and were ushered inside.

As was the car following you.

"See, nothing to worry about," Tom muttered as he gestured back. "Just to be sure, I'm going to talk with them, though."
"But-" you started, only for him to silence you with a wave of his hand as the jeep pulled up into a parking area out of sight of the gates.
"Alyssa, you need to worry less."
"Okay..."

As you both clambered from the jeep, a pair of agents in black suits clambered from the car - sunglasses and suits, disguising their otherwise average features so you couldn't hope to identify them later.
You could see their expressions starting off warm as they approached - aiming to approach you as Tom was partially concealed by the jeep, though that warmth quickly turned to concern as he stepped around the jeeps frame and started making his way towards them in what you had figured by this point was battle gear.
"So, care to explain yourselves?" he challenged as he almost casually permitted his hands to come to a rest atop the weapon slung about his neck.
"We could ask you the same thing," came one of the pair's voices, wavering with uncertainty.
"I am Alyssa here's plus one and body guard, here's my authorisation," he paused as he reached for something inside his pocket to hold up to show the pair. "Consider my presence a vote of no-confidence in you or your people's ability to provide adequate security. I'm certain you were briefed on our arrival however, as I was cleared in advance. Right? Right. Your turn."
"We were sent to escort-"
"No you weren't. Nobody informed us of escorts. You might be agents of HMSO, but you have-"

As one of the agents reached for their inner pocket Tom's hands were a blur of motion. In the blink of an eye they snapped down to a pair of pistols on his belt and back up, trained upon the agents before either of them could do more than yelp in surprise.

"I was just... I have the papers in my pocket, just..." the one almost whimpered as they moved to hold their hand in the air while the other reached to hold their jacket open, to show the papers they had been reaching for.
"Hold them up for me."
"But you-"
"I can read them from here."

You couldn't, however, so as those papers were held up for Tom's scrutiny, all you could make out was a few black squiggles printed upon the paper and the remains of a red wax seal that had been broken to open the orders.
"Checks out. Lead the way, but remember - no funny business."

The pair nodded fearfully as they started leading the way towards the front entrance with you and Tom trailing behind them.
It was surreal to think you'd almost witnessed a gunfight on the palace grounds - that Tom had been about to gun the pair down simply because things didn't add up.
"Tom, what were you thinking?" you hissed to him as you followed the pair towards the steps leading into the palace proper.
"I was told to take no chances with your safety. This doesn't add up, it could be an oversight or it could be something else."
"You told me to stop being paranoid-"
"You're here for breakfast, I'm here to ensure your safety. I can justify paranoia."
"Bullshit."
"Language."

You grumbled at Tom as you were ushered past the various guards stood on duty inside and out of the palace, into the well illuminated halls decorated with all manner of finery and paintings that lead ever deeper.
The walls were decorated with red wallpaper with gold fern patterns and weaving designs, the paintings towered above you, the floor was a creamy marble and covered in red rugs with golden tassels.
It was the very image of decadance, yet you couldn't stop to gawk at the opulant display as you were taken deeper into the palace.
You were lead through a myriad of corridors before you were taken up a graceful staircase to the first floor then lead into a dining room that overlooked the rear grounds of the palace.
"Her Majesty will be with you shortly," came one of the agents words as the pair of them ducked out of the room - more pleased to be out of Tom's presence than to have done their job.
No sooner had they left the pair of you alone was he pacing about the room.
There was no awe with the opulant surroundings, no interest in the decor.
These were the movements of a person who was consumed with a task - the task in mind in this case seemingly where he could take up position in this room to cover as much of the room as possible.

He had barely had time to find a position when doors on the farside of the large dining hall opened and a woman in an elegant, though rather bulky looking black gown, a woman bent double with age as she leaned for support on a walking stick walked in whom was followed by a suited man with an entirely different vibe to the ones you'd seen before.
This one wore a suit that looked expensive, one that was well fitted, made of a grey fabric, with a white shirt and a red tie beneath it that looked every bit as expensive as the suit.

This man was no agent.
This man was worse.
Much, much worse.
He was...
A Tory.

"Minister Smith, when I invited you to come for breakfast I did not wish for you to fawn upon me and treat me as if I were helpless simply due to my advanced age," came the womans words as she chastised the man.
"Alexandrina, my appologies. You know I merely wish to provide you with assistance."
"Yes, and it was entirely unsolicited. Now shoo, go seat the guest if you wish to make yourself useful," came her words once more as she, the Queen, ushered the man away as if he was little more than a servant.
And so, almost dutifully, he made his way over to you, pulling a chair out for you to sit yourself at as he gave you the kind of practiced smile only a shark could while regarding its prey.
"You must be Miss Smith," came his words as he gestured to the seat. "Please, be seated, her Majesty does not wish for you to stand on ceremony."
"Oh do be quiet," came the words of the woman - a woman you could scarecely believe you were meeting today now that you were in her presence.
"I..." you started, only to find yourself lost for words as you looked upon the elderly monarch, upon Queen Victoria herself as she gave you a little, though dismissive wave of her hand.
"Do seat yourself dear, I called you here so that we may talk over breakfast. Quite honestly, you appear to be in need of a good meal," she paused to look across at the politician nearby as he hurried to take a seat nearby. "Look at her, she's all skin and bones. What is your party playing at with their budget cuts?"
"I believe she is simply of that nature, Ma'am," sighed the politician as he seated himself.
"Indeed, now... As the serving staff are rather tardy, perhaps we should address just why I requested your presence here Miss Smith," there was a pause as she glanced towards the politician. "No relation I presume, Minister Smith?"
"No relation, ma'am."
"While I am... Shall we say, grateful, that you returned a piece of an item that has been confirmed to have once belonged to a dear friend of mine, I have been torn since this news came in. Minister Smith, you have had more time to read up upon this than I, so perhaps you would like to address the matter while I prepare myself some tea?"
"Yes ma'am," came the mans words as he turned towards you. "Miss Smith, what her majesty wishes to convey is that your very existance, impossible as it should be, breaks her heart. Back during the war, an immortal, a friend of hers, fell for his thousandth time and ceased to reincarnate. Since that time, we have been able to quantify the type of power that he once bore and for you to resonate much the same pattern as he once did is... Troublesome to say the least."
"Why is that troublesome?"
"Ah, I cannot say."
"Yes, you can, Minister."
"Ma'am, I would-"
"Tell her the truth. You are still capable of that, are you not?"
"Yes, ma'am," came the mans defeated response as he steepled his fingers. "Miss Smith, in mans history there have been many wonders and many mistakes. There are the immortals, men and women who have ascended beyond the reach of time and eluded the grasp of death. There are the horrors that have always been there, monsters that even now plague our subconscious thoughts despite how they are now few and far between. That immortals exist at all is a testamant to mans spirit, how unwilling to accept his lot, he has the gall to challange natural order. That you exist is troublesome, as you are an echo of the very first immortal. Unlike those that came after him, he was different. He was not human, never was, no. He was the personification of a force of creation that in its curiosity over man and his existance took his form. Man has always been cunning, man used his magic to ensnare this spirit of creation in the human form it had taken so that it would always be a man."

The minister paused to pour himself a glass of water.

"Man shackled this force of creation and stole from it the power man needed to live a life eternal. It was not perfect for there was always a means to kill such an empowered man, some would say it was fitting that man could still be slain in some manner with such power, for in mans arrogance to take from something eternal, man did not realise the same magic that had permitted them to do so, left that weakness in them too. Over a thousand lifetimes this entity sought to undo the magic that had shackled it, as it all but killed magic in its efforts. Today, magic is but a hollow shell of what it had once been, but that is of no importance to what I am telling you. After a thousand incarnations, with countless immortals having stolen power from it, this entity was a mere shadow of its former self. Once, it had the power to shatter the very earth. By the end it was a fading light, in an inky void."

He paused again as he sipped at his drink.

"And then, repeating the same transgression we had countless times before, the same weakness that immortals inherited from it, that permitted it to be controlled by man so that it would never escape... Was used to slay its mortal form once more. That you are an echo of a very force of nature is impossible Alyssa, that you are an echo of that one is even more so."

He fell silent as serving staff entered with platters laden with toast, cakes, cereal and other such things suited to breakfast entered the room, placed the food down in the midst of the table and left while bowing respectfully to the Queen.

You were reeling, you had just been told that man found, shackled and murdered the nearest it'd ever found to the god it always sought?
Just what did this mean for you?
Was man the thing YOU had to fear?
Were you going to silently, awkwardly eat breakfast and pretend you'd heard none of this, or did you have questions you wanted to ask?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19