Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: I told them I could be anything...  (Read 27223 times)

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: I told them I could be anything...
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2015, 09:47:28 am »

My transcription more or less agrees, though there's a couple differences.

Spoiler: Translation (click to show/hide)

"It sounds... I think he's claiming that his object is something I lost, possibly during some kind of catastrophe. But I've never owned anything like this. Unless... is it possible I could be a reincarnation like the thousand soul, that this is something I might have had in a past life?"

Give Millie our best guess at what he said. Then examine that object.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2015, 07:32:51 pm »

Yes, you were certain you had a clue, if you simply compensated for the strong accent that the things phonetic attempts to speaking a language it was either unfamiliar with, or unable to pronounce properly due to the shape of its mouth, you could decipher what it was saying.
Of course, Millicent was starting to look down her nose at you, so you'd have to make it clear that you actually had this.

"Okay, if you want reason not to turn us about, I'll give you it. Give me a little longer and I'll decipher what it was saying to me, to us. I think i've figured how to compensate for the accenting that its tone gave, and-"
"Uh-huh, and how do I know you're not bluffing?"
"Okay, listen here. First thing it said, Leh-sen. Listen. Meh... Me. It's forcing the sound there as it doesn't have the same mouth structure as a person."
"Two words. impressive. At this rate you'll be done by tonight."
"Hungry, it was hungry but said it was holding. It wanted to tell me that it.. That it didn't mean harm and it was going against its nature." you paused as you listened to the entire thing repeat once more.
"So...?" Millicent prodded as she continued on the road towards the most built up parts of London's tourist traps.
"I speak words, you listen. Stay, no move, must return, stay," you translated as you glanced down at the mass of tissues and vegetation on your lap. "So, it was... Returning this to me. I don't get it." you mumbled as Millicent pulled a face of disgust.
"You lost that at some point and it wanted to scare the shit out of people to give it back?"
"I don't think so, I've never, ever seen this before."

You flopped back, listening to the recording loop once again as you peeled further debris from the object.
You were certain it was metal now, that it was part of a machine of some kind.
It was a short component of some form that had six cylindrical chambers, its outer structure was almost honey comb shaped, so it could... Turn?
You weren't certain that was right, but it was all you'd figured so far.
It had a hole between all the chambers too, one that looked like it was almost finger sized.
Possibly where a pole of some kind had gone in for it to... Rotate on?

"Listen... Shh..." you mumbled as you took the easiest parts that followed. "I return what... What you have lost, must give. Again with returning something I never lost..." you mumbled as you idly started to clean out the mud clogged cylinders. They were hollow all the way through.
You were going to have to get your new hoodie washed after this, it was going to stink of the stagnant river water otherwise.
"Light fell... Light fell all above, rumbles all above. Ground rumbled. You lost this, I return. It's pretty adamant I lost this, but this looks like its been in the river for years and... This is my first time in London."
"I'm more concerned that this thing actually spoke to you instead of trying to eat you. Do you know how-"
"Shh. I've not translated this bit," you paused. "I have... I have returned. Must go. Sister come. Sister comes?" you paused, glancing up at Millicent. "What would be a sister to one of those things, another kind of Joe?"
"Jötunn. I have no idea what they would call a sister, but we did see a pair of guardians go overhead. Perhaps one of them's called a Jötunn?"
"Why are you asking me?"
"You're suddenly the expert here."
"It finished by saying... Will kill I, so its sister would kill it... And... I not want kill. It doesn't want to die-"
"I think you're projecting."
"Uh-huh. So why did it say... Others come, will kill you, not want you kill?"
"Wait, what?"
"I'm pretty damn sure it said-"
"No, it told you others were going to kill you?"
"Yeah. Why?"
"Is that all it said?"
"No, the last thing it said was..." you paused, waiting for the recording to loop again. "You leave, yes."
"Okay, we can discard that part, but it gave you something, told you others were going to kill you..."
"Could it be that I'm-"
"No. You're NOT."
"You don't even know what I was going-"
"You're not the thousand soul."
"I was going to ask if I was a reincarnation possibly, that this isn't my first time..."
"Oh. I... I don't know. Most of what we have on immortals is word of mouth and fragmented accounts that tell us what they did, not what they were. Any idea what it gave you?"
"None, but it looks like it's a mechanism of some kind," you stated as you held it up with your finger plugging one end of the central hole. Something about this felt right, as if it was weighted and crafted for a purpose that while elusive at this moment, was one you felt almost intimately entwined with.
"Uh... Alyssa, that's..."
"You know what it is?"
"That's part of a revolver, don't you recognise it?"
"A... No."
"Don't you game a lot?"
"Yeah, but most... Most handguns in the games i've played have been ones you put a clip in the bottom of."
"Oh. Great, a nerd who failed her firearms check."
"Oh, great, a nerd who rolled a natural twenty on her sarcasm check."
"Takes one to know one."
"Exactly."
"Shut up, nerd."

You did your best to hide a smile, you didn't wish to dignify her playful insults with a response of that nature after all.
Of course, you'd figured what it had said, you'd figured that it was quite insistant that this was yours... You'd embarassed yourself by not recognising it and you'd dropped your-
Wait, was that yours on the dashboard?
"Millie, did you... Did you retrieve my cake for me?"
"Yeah, nerd. I figured someone had to."
"Okay, I love you right now, so I'll let that slip."
"We're being followed, by the way. The car behind us has taken a few of the turns through residential area's I took."
"Oh. The same people from earlier?"
"Most likely, yes. Don't touch your cake until you've cleaned your hands by the way, I don't care if you're a damn immortal god, the river's nasty."
"But..."
"Do you want river water in your cake?"
"No... So, what're you going to do?"
"Play casual, act like I haven't seen them. They're going to follow us and report back to the boss. Right now though, I'm going to wind the window down, and we're going to drop those tissues in a bin some place as that smells pretty nasty."
"Okay... I was hoping you had a more involved plan than that."
"Oh, sure, I'll just shake them like something from a spy movie," Millicent huffed as she lowered the window.
"I could-"
"Exaust yourself?" Millicent shook her head. "No, we're not risking you using your powers, you're too green. Last time you killed yourself trying to create a breeze. That's... Not something I ever expected to be saying," she added awkwardly after a few moments.

You slumped back in your seat, drawing your arms about yourself as Millicent first reached for the little device, halting the repetative recording, then for the cake on the dashboard, checking what one was hers.
You mumbled under your breath about how this was unfair as she gave you a dirty look, you wanted yours yet she was the only one with hands clean enough to handle it.
That was until she pulled up at a turn back onto one of the main roads and the car behind you sped up, slamming into the side of hers as it span, hit the curb and-
You could see Millicent making a desperate grab to stop the cake as it slid across the dashboard and out the open window.

"All I wanted was some fucking cake!" Millicent screamed in anger as the car came to a halt, her fist slamming repeatedly against the steering wheel as her cars horn blared with each impact.
It was then that the airbags deployed - buffeting you both as they forced you back against your seats.
This was enough to wind Millicent further, audiably reminding you that she was hurting from the encounter with the Jötunn.

The car had stalled, you had part of a gun, your face was full of airbag, the cake was lost and to top it off, out of the corner of your eye you could see suited men climbing out of the car that had struck you.
Men who wore sunglasses, men who advanced towards the car you were in with clear conviction.

You were dazed from the impact but it was nothing serious, Millicent was possibly in poor shape and things looked... Bad.
You were certain you couldn't trust your power to be of any help, but you knew you had to do something, anything.
The question was, what?

---

Thumbs up, you were more or less spot on with what it said.
Sorry, the updates have been suffering a bit - It's getting warmer here and that never plays nice with me.

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2015, 11:25:12 pm »

You don't need your powers to play nice. These people have threatened you, Albeit indirectly.
Still.. You can't afford to be exhausted right now, And those people probably expects some form of retaliation.
...Go peacefully?

I know what you mean about warmth... First comes the heat, Then comes the mild irritation and shortened temper, Then comes the full blown anger at pretty much anything that irks you. So annoying.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 11:28:08 pm by Fallatus »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2015, 12:12:49 am »

Did they appear familiar, as in from the agency? If not, did they appear hostile? Either way, it seemed a good idea to be careful. Stay in the car and evaluate your pursuers while readying yourself to use your powers to defend yourself. Better safe than sorry. Should they be hostile... well, you're the one with the power. Throw them around a bit.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:33 am »

If we accidentally kill everyone with our powers,  the only one I'll feel bad about is  Millicent.  We can regenerate after all.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2015, 10:55:09 am »

"Alyssa, are you okay?" came Millicent's voice as she struggled against the airbag that had her pinned to her seat.
It was mere seconds before she was able to scoot her seat back to get breathing room, mere seconds that you squandered staring at the advancing men.
With her range of motion restored Millicent reached to push the airbag against your chest down, a hiss of disgust escaping her lips as she saw the group responsible for this.
They were nobody that you recognised, yet there was something about Millicent's reaction that made it clear that she knew exactly who they were.

"I'm... I'm okay. Can we... Can we go?"
"This car has a stupid safety feature, if the airbags deploy it immobilises it. Keep your head down, I'll... I'll go talk with our... Our friends."
"Who are they?"
"Nobody you need to worry about. Keep your head down."
"That doesn't fill me with confidence."

It was with those words that Millicent struggled out of the driver side door, visibly holding her ribs as she stumbled about the bonnet of her car towards the group that'd hit you both.
She was hurt, she was without the benefit of powers such as your own and she was going to deal with those men without you?
They'd already made it clear by hitting you both that they had no particular regard for your safety, so why were you meekly accepting this insanity on her part?

"What the hell do you idiots think you're doing?" Millicent yelled at the group as they impassively fanned out before her.
Four men, one of her.
One of them, a larger man than the others stepped forwards as he stared down at Millicent - or so you assumed, his sunglasses made it hard for you to tell.

"Agent Cross, you are incapable of assuring the safety of the subject, you shall relinquish them into our custody," came an equally impassive voice.
"Who do you work for, who are you people?" Millicent spat in response, the vitriol in her voice evident as she allowed her hand to move down from her injured ribs.
"That is of no concern. You shall-"
"Without proper authorisation your request is to be treated as an act of deception. The subject has a name and she isn't going with you unless you can present me with the correct forms and identification to warrant such a transfer of custody."

There was a moments silence as the lead figure maintained their position with unwavering calm.
Yet not one of the group moved a muscle.
They had no intent of presenting whatever credentials they possessed.

"This is your final chance to transfer custody of the subject to us peacefully, Agent Cross, failure to comply with be met by escalating this situation to the use of deadly force."
"Is this really how we're going to do things, you're going to threaten me?" Millicent huffed as she shifted her weight from one foot to the other. "You know I'm a government agent, but you haven't presented any form of identification or authorisation of your own. How about you identify yourselves, then I'll decide based upon that."
"That was your final warning," came the mans impassive response as his hand darted forward, the impact of his palm against Millicent's forehead sending the woman tumbling to the ground.

You could only watch in horror as the foremost man reached into his jacket to draw a firearm, a handgun that he levelled with Millicent before pulling the trigger several times.
The crack of each discharged round was met by Millicent's form shuddering as red patches seeped into the white of her blouse.
Then silence.
Silence as the man stood over her twitching form before he levelled his gaze with you.

"Alyssa Smith, you will exit the vehicle and offer your unconditional co-operation," came the mans words as he stepped over Millicent's body, as he advanced upon the car with his weapon still drawn.
He'd just executed the nearest you had to a friend in this place in cold blood and... And...
He expected you to simply co-operate when all Millicent had done to oppose him was question who he was?
No, you didn't know who these people were, you couldn't simply go with them peacefully if this was the way they operated.
They could be anyone from government agents to spies and...
And...
Oh god, this was actually happening, they'd murdered her and...

You had to get away from them, you had to remain in control, you had to avoid using any power if you could help it.
Your power was too exaustive and unpredictable, it'd simply make you an easy target for these people if you couldn't fight back against them.

You had to...
You had to run, you had to get away.

It was with that you flung the door open, slid from the seat you were in and started to sprint away from these people - you knew that if they shot you, that you would recover.
Probably.
You weren't certain, but you were going to put your faith in yourself right now to recover if they were crazy enough to simply-

Crack.
The sound of the gun discharging followed once more as you felt a burning warmth in the back of your thigh, a burning warmth that blossomed into pain as you stumbled.
Your leg had been hit, but adrenaline was telling you that you could keep moving.
Fight or flight.
You'd chosen flight, as you couldn't fight.

Crack.
Another bullet struck you as you stumbled once more - this time falling as the pain in your leg became unbearable. You'd been shot twice in the back of the same leg as you attempted to run and...
You could see the fabric turning dark as blood rapidly soaked into it, you could see blood trailing over the paving as you dragged your now useless leg as you made a futile effort to crawl away.

Crack.
A third shot had you finally scream as you felt your other leg get hit, the agonising pain telling you that there was no escape, that these people didn't care in the slightest for bringing you in to whomever was in charge unmaimed.

"S-so m-m-mu-much for... Ssssafety," came a hiss from behind the group, prompting them to turn towards the prome form of Millicent as she... Laughed.
That choking laughter was followed by her form struggling to its feet as it finally became apparent just how horrific her injuries had been.
No, she couldn't have survived that, she'd been shot in the chest multiple times and twice in the head, and yet...
"I g-gave y-y-y-you a ch-chance to identf-f-fy yoursel-self," she gurgled as she lurched forwards. "M-man, why-why'd you ha-have to sh-shoo-shoot me. N-now I n-need a new b-body," she continued as several more rounds struck her, causing her to recoil more from the impact than anything else.

As the groups attention turned towards the... The cadavar that had once been what you could almost have called your friend, you turned to sit upright, to crawl backwards until your back was pressed against the first wall you came across.
Blood painted the paving where you passed over it, blood, that shone where the sun caught it in a manner that was almost beautiful.
You were getting light headed, but at least the pain was fading.
You weren't certain this was a good thing.

The steady percussive crack of the mens weapons discharing gave way to screams as Millicent's advance halted - she hadn't been subdued, no, what happened next was the unveiling of something far worse than some body that had risen from the dead.
Her skin peeled away as something else, something slender, vaguely human in appearance and faceless stepped from within her.
The woman you knew simply collapsed in a pile of discarded flesh and clothes while this faceless thing leapt forwards.

The first of the four men fell as the thing vaulted towards it, each bullet that struck it seemingly doing nothing to hinder it as it leapt atop the prone man and with a sickening slurp, pushed its spindly fingers between the mans ribs.
His screams ceased as abruptly as they started as his form convulsed, as the thing lifted him to his feet and turned him to face the other three.
Three, who now stood there with their guns levelled with this thing, uncertain over just what they were to do.

Crack, crack, crack.

The ensnared man's fire arm went off three times in quick succession.
Three bodies hit the floor.

The thing that held the man shifted to embrace him from behind as it seemed to sink into him, leaving the man stood there convulsing for a few moments before he took a deep breath, took hold of his head and cracked his neck audiably. "Ah... Aly... Alyssa. Are you... Oh, you're hurt."
The words that came from this man seemed clumbsy at first as he struggled for a moment to take a few graceless steps towards you.
"I know you... You will want to-" the man paused to breathe. "Sorry, you'll want answers, but right now we need to stop you bleeding out," came the mans words as he knelt beside you, no evidence over what had happened bar several small puncture wounds visible where the thing had plunged its fingers between this mans ribs.
"Am... Am I dreaming?" you responded in a dull manner, pinching at your face as you did so. Your face felt numb, but you still hurt a lot. It couldn't be a dream, could it?
"I wish. Unfasten your clothes and roll over."
"Not until-"
"Do you want to bleed out?"
"Who are you?"
"Millicent, I know it's a lot to take in, but I need you to trust me," came the mans words as he nudged you over, pausing as he tore the sleeves from his shirt. "I'll bind your legs, stop the flow of blood as best I can. If the body doesn't deal with the bullets then they can be removed later, but right now-"
"What are you?"
"Agent Millicent Cross of-"
"No, what. What are you."
"That's unimportant. You're losing colour fast Alyssa," came the mans response as he started to bind your legs tightly - several strips wound above your legs while several more were used to pad over the wounds you had taken.
"No, tell me, or god help me I'll scream. Then i'll lash out at you with my powers and tell the Guardians when they come looking what I saw."
"Do you always have to be so awkward, Alyssa?" came the mans voice as he sighed, one bloodied hand placed against his face as he shook his head. "I'm a skin walker, now stop struggling and let me apply pressure until your regenerative ability kicks in."
"You're a..." that term was familiar, it was something that Millicent had said had been spotted at the supermarket when you first arrived. "Wait... If they sent a Guardian for them, why don't-"
"I'm actually registered and accounted for, can we talk about this later?"
"No, it ca-"
"Alyssa, my head is spinning, it's hard enough for me to focus on the task at hand."

You fell silent, this entire situation was weird.
Millicent was suddenly in the body of one of the people that'd attacked you and you were laying here with her... him?
With them trying to slow your bleeding.

"So, um," you started after a few minutes silence, as you found focusing on anything but the pain in your legs to become impossible. "What happens now?"
"Well, I have to re-register myself with people, get all my stuff updated, we need to get back to the agency... Ugh, I don't want to be stuck in a male body, but they'll keep me in it until they're sure I've learned everything I can from their memories."
"You can... You can do that?"
"I don't really want to talk about it,"
"But-"
"Hey, how about we talk about your reproductive habits instead, wouldn't that make for a great and totally non-personal topic?"
"Okay, I get it. It's personal."
"Thank you."
"Just don't perv."
"Alyssa, you have no ass, if I swung that way you still wouldn't be my type."
"Ouch."
"This is going to be so weird," Millicent mumbled as the pressure on your legs was slowly reduced. "Okay, it looks like you're healing, so we'll give it a minute more, then we'll... Steal their car I guess and... And... Shit, I don't know. Do you know how to drive?"
"No, I haven't learned how yet."
"Great. Okay, we'll be here until we can be picked up. You can't drive and I'm not fit to drive."

Millicent slumped down beside you as those strips of cloth were removed from your legs, pausing only briefly to ensure you were no longer bleeding.
"Okay, you can pull your jeans back up, the wounds have closed now," came his... her? words.
You complied, pulling the now ruined garment back up as you glanced down at the amount of blood that had soaked into it.
"Still tender. Thanks though. I..." you paused to rub the back of your legs. "I think... I think I'll be fine. It's hard to tell, i've never been shot before so I don't know if I'll be stuck with bullets in my legs."
"It'll be checked out later. You just... Sit there a moment. I'll call people and get things seen to."

Sitting here was good, it meant you wouldn't get into trouble.

As you sat there wallowing in self pity you figured it was better to reflect over what you'd learned about yourself recently.
You'd seen that you were able to overcome some of your more cowardly timid nature - this was good.
But you were allowing this, as much fun as it was, to go a little more to your head than you should - this was bad.
You'd strike a balance though, you'd find a comfortable groove and you'd ride it until you could reach out without endangering others.

Was there anything else you needed to remain mindful of or do, though?

Air Speciality (Choose one)
...Upon reflection you've realised you'd be a persuasive talker as you've come to understand the way your bodylanguage and your words interact better.
...You're certain you can apply an educated insight into more situations, you've a whole load of skills learned from all over the place that you can translate better to the real world.
...You're a fast learner, plain and simple. While others of equal intellect are still taking things in, you're already two steps ahead.
...You've seen a lot of deception the past few days and you yourself know that a skilled deceiver just needs apply the right body language to hide their motives better.
...Something Else?

Earth Speciality (Choose one)
...You may not be tough, but you're better at resisting toxinsthan most - alcohol, pollution, you name it, you weather it as well as a more robust person.
...You may not be one for the outdoors, but you handle  resisting the elements better than some. Where others become miserable or even sick, you're still singing, singing in the rain.
...You've always been thick skinned, tougher than you look. It's a mixture of pain tolerance and being physically stubborn that lets you take a little more punishment.
...While you may not be capable of taking particularly much more punishment than most, you're much more adapt at resisting pain - where others would pass out, you're still gritting your teeth.
...Something Else?

---

I'd started this after flipping a coin to decide what direction to lean more in, sorry!

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2015, 12:06:49 pm »

Educated insight.

Also, acquire some non-ruined cake and make sure Millie gets some.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:48 pm »

I can't think of a situation where fast learnerl is not useful. Regarding Earth, Erm... Thick skinned or pain Tolerance.

Also, jokingly am I'd we should start calling Millie 'Miles'.

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2015, 02:02:44 pm »

Holy shit! Millicent is slenderman, Woman? Man!? Darn this is confusing... :P

I can't think of a situation where fast learnerl is not useful. Regarding Earth, Erm... Thick skinned or pain Tolerance.
Yeah, Fast learner and Thick skinned seems great. +1

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2015, 03:20:03 pm »

Fast Learner and Pain Tolerance.

Pain tolerance seems to fit in better with her powerset to me.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2015, 08:51:36 pm »

+1
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:22 pm »

+1
+1
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2015, 12:26:22 am »

+1
+1
Yeah, It probably is. +1 Changed.

Y'know, Under normal circumstances you might have been afraid. But right now, After all that's happened lately, You don't seem to be very afraid. In fact, Where there was once fear there is now a creeping sense of curiosity.
Maybe you'll ask just a few questions? It couldn't hurt, Right?

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2015, 06:34:40 am »

You were deep in the rabbit hole, but you knew it went much, much deeper.
If things were to continue to get strange in this manner, you knew that you couldn't afford to allow yourself to liner too much on what was intimidating and new. You couldn't allow yourself to be swep away in the waters of change when the wind sof progress were begging to fill your sails.
Fear had less of a place within you now - it was a certainty that you would be afraid at points, but you knew that fear had its place, that it would drive you to escape when you were in danger or prompt caution when you were in a new situation filled with threatening uncertainty.
No, fear was a tool, not an all consuming thing that mastered you.
It was something that tempered your odds of survival by prompting you to consider the consequences.

You'd do your best to keep this in mind now, to remember that regardless of how powerful you may become, that caution tempered by a human emotion evoked by the unknown always had its place.
It was just your place to decide what that emotion's role played in tempering your descisions.

"Um..." your confusion shone through as you turned towards the individual beside you that you were now struggling to remind yourself you'd known for a few days. "Should I continue to call you Millicent or would a name in the meantime such as Miles be more appropriate?"
"Don't call me Miles," came that masculine voice as Millicent removed... His?
You guessed his, was the correct way to regard the physical body at least, as the sunglasses they wore were removed and Millicent shifted to get a look at their face in the reflective surface of the glasses.
"Oh... My type. That's a bitter discovery to make," Millicent sighed.
"That look's your type?"
"Yeah, strong facial features, classically handsome tempered by slight elements of metrosexuality. What's your type?"
"I don't really have one," you mumbled in response, it was something of a lie, but you weren't going to tell Millicent at this point that your type was more towards a persons personality than their looks.
"I understand, it's an odd question right now," came that response. Sunglasses back on, back to the almost faceless image of the enemy agent.
"Can I ask you a few questions about... You know?" you tested as you watched for Millicent's reaction.
"As long as you're respectful."
"Um. Okay. I just kinda want to understand you better. You've not been directly lying to me as such since we met at times, I'm guessing. It's easier to conceal a half truth than an outright lie, but, I... I want to know just how much of what you said I should believe, as I don't know who or what you are right now."
"Ah... Okay Alyssa, being straight with you, I can't tell you everything right now as one, you're not ready or qualified to know, and two, it's still my job to ensure your well being. It's no surprise you're wondering who and what I am, who's easy to answer. I'm Millicent Cross, I was assigned that name much the same as your parents called you Alyssa Smith. No, I'm not human, but I've been living as one for quite some time, the body you were familiar with was that of a junior agent who... Donated her body to me after cardiac failure," the pause there told you that there was history that you didn't want to inquire into.
Something that Millicent had no desire to talk about.
"So, what I saw was... The real you?"
"If I stripped you down to your nervous system, would that be the real you?"
"I... Guess in a very technical manner."
"There's your answer. I don't like being naked like that, but I had to ensure you were safe. I could just have easily laid low and waited for a chance to aquire a new body. The boss is going to be pissed though given the 'asset' I just lost."
"Why's that?"
"I got lucky last time, I had access to a person with innate power. Who knows what this body can do, or if I'll get lucky like that again."
"So, your power was tied to that form?"
"That's what I said."

You fell silent for a moment as you reflected upon this, Millicent had been deceiving you from the start in one manner or another yet in this case, you could see the reasoning behind it. If you'd know what you were dealing with, could you have promised that you'd have accepted this person for who they were instead of constantly keeping what they were in the back of your mind?

"Millie?"
"Yes, Alyssa?"
"Thank you for coming to my aide when you did and, um. My type's not physical, I spend a lot of time online where I don't know a person beyond who they present themselves as, so... I guess what I'm saying is, if I can make friends without seeing them, I can accept you regardless of how you look too, so, um..."
"I get it, you can stop tripping over yourself now."
"I do have one more question though," you shifted to look at the other.
"If it's about my physical body I'll slap you."
"Oh yeah, I totally wanted to know the size of-"
You didn't need to see Millicent's eyes to know that you were being glared at now, everything you needed to know was in the subtle shift of this forms body language and the clenching of their jaw.
"No, what I really wanted to know was... You seem to have a distinct dislike of the thousand soul. It's because you're exactly the kind of individual he tried to have killed at one point, isn't it?"
"Yeah... He made the Guardians to kill 'that what went bump in the night', fairly indiscriminately. I get why it was done, but it's hard to let go that out there was once someone who..."
You shifted to embrace Millicent's arm, silence following that gesture as you placed your head against their shoulder.

"Who do you think'll pick us up first?"
"LPD, people'll have called them said there's been a gun battle as they gawk at the scene from the safety of their windows. It'll barely make the news, nobody is interested in it when they can learn about how their popstar darling has beaten her battle against cancer."
"Easy to say when you have yet to call the agency."
"Well, yeah, I can do that once the LPD have us, get them to straighten this all out for us.

It was less than a minute from the point those words had been uttered until the sound of a jet engine rushed towards you.
The direction suggested that it could be one of the ones that had responded to the sighting of...
No, you'd with-hold that judgement until you actually saw what arrived.
The sound of the jet engine built into a roaring crescendo as the Guardian flew in low - low enough that as it crested the rooftops of the housing that lined the streets, you could make out the various lines of its major components.
Upon its back the jet engine's that now steadily lowered it spewed super-heated fire, the air about it shimmering as it turned to face you, as the silver and blue metallic finish of this things gave way to the weaponry mounted over its form.
It was like something out of a robot game, a bulky metallic form large enough to contain a person, a form that must have stood a good eight feet tall, a form covered in interlaced metal plates that composed the exterior.
A form that was pointing the underslung weapon mounted on its left arm at you.
Was that...
It was pointing a gatling gun at you, you knew that kind of weapon from games, but this was-

As the thing landed on the tarmac road and the flames from its back mounted jets ceased a voice rang out through a speaker that you could only assume was mounted in its head.
"This is J-T-N-Seven-Four-One, disarm and identify yourselves," came it's flat, vaguely feminine voice.
"I am-" Millicent started, only for the Guardian to interrupt.
Now it was close enough you could see scale like ablative armour carefully hidden all over its form, suggesting, along with its designation, that this was a Jötunn suit.
"Agent Bradley Kingston of H-M-S-O. Identity confirmed, Agent Kingston. Report."

H-M-S-O?
Her Majesty's Special Operatives?

"Shit," Millicent hissed as that acronym came out, shifting to relinquish you, to stand and face this Jötunn. "I will make a full report on this incident in a suitable location. The civilian in my company is one Alyssa Smith, whom is currently under the jurisdiction of A-S-P."
There was a pause.
"Identity confirmed. Does the civilian require medical attention?"
"Not on site."
"Escorts have been dispatched, you will both be questioned in a secure location over the incident and-"
"Yes, understood. Could you stand down now?"
"That does not follow standard protocol."
"The civilian has been shot three times in the legs, stand down or I shall add to my report that you kept a weapon intended for dealing with the things that go bump in the night upon a terrified woman without apparent reason, Officer Seven-Four-One."

There was a moments silence before the Guardian lowered its arm, as it visibly slouched as the metal plates that composed the back armour, while out of your direct site, blossomed open like petals as the form of a woman in LPD themed body armour stepped backwards, out of the Guardian.
"Apologies," came the womans voice, one that was flat and emotionless, though more distinct than it had been when ran through the suits speakers. From behind the Guardian itself stepped a woman of average height, one whom bore copper coloured hair and the faintest trace of turquoise scaling against the sides of her neck.
"Better. Now I'm going to sit with Alyssa here until people arrive to pick us up," Millicent stated while slipping down back beside you.

From where you sat, you could just make out the officers badge on the chest of her flight armour.
Seven-Four-One, Wonder.

"Excuse me, officer, is... Wonder a designation or your name?" you asked, as you weakly gestured towards her.
"Yes," came the response, though it seemed after a few moments she grasped the question that had been put to her. "It is both."
"That's an unusual name," you continued, though no further response graced your attempts to converse with the woman.
"That's the kind of name the Enlightened use," Millicent mumbled beside you in a voice kept low enough to avoid the woman overhearing.
"I'm just going to... Close my eyes for a little, I feel a little tired after recovering from being shot."
"Okay Alyssa," came Millicent's response as a hand reassuringly patted your shoulder.
"Oh, also... Tell them we... We need... Cake," you mumbled.

Even as you started to close your eyes you could hear the sound of sirens on the wind heralding the approach of those called in to clean up and handle this situation.
You didn't care, you knew that you weren't actually going to sleep - you were lapsing into unconsciousness to allow your body a chance to recover from the punishment it had taken recently. Recovery from these injuries took its toll on you, your powers took their toll on you. Everything you did was exausting, though you knew you'd become stronger and that you would continue to grow in strength as you practiced using these powers.
Or recovered from the inevitable injury you took trying to control them.

When you finally awoke, it was because...
...You'd recovered from them removing the bullets. They'd kept you under as a convenience and now they were sending you back to the agency.
...They'd roused you to question you about the incident in person - they were especially concerned about the revolver cylinder they'd recovered.
...The boss had arrived and was causing a scene, Millicent was in trouble, you were in trouble, the director of HMSO had sent a representative.
...Some other reason had invoked it?

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2015, 10:10:13 am »

They'd roused you to question you about the incident in person - they were especially concerned about the revolver cylinder they'd recovered.
Then the boss arrived and began causing a scene, Millicent was in trouble, you were in trouble, the director of HMSO had sent a representative.
And as if it couldn't get worse, You keept catching glimpses of... things in the corner of your eyes, Skittering about in the darkness.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19