Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Scum Victory  (Read 48020 times)

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Maybe here (6/9)
« Reply #405 on: July 28, 2015, 05:50:00 am »

I just think that lurking has a good chance of being caused by stuff like, schedule, bad internet, having other obligations. so I am not quick to say he is lurking lynch him.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Need IC Replacement! (6/9)
« Reply #406 on: July 28, 2015, 06:01:22 am »

Loud Whispers, why did you single out Fallacy yesterday?
This post

Loud Whispers:
This is not good, we've got this turn to lynch mafia or Luchabowl IV could be ruined for good.
Super.  What are you going to do about it?  You haven't exactly started this day with the actions of one desperate to lynch scum.
Between losing nqt, leading the lynch on FOU and the lurkers I'm left needing time to think, a little shaken up by FOU just being a noob.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Need IC Replacement! (6/9)
« Reply #407 on: July 28, 2015, 09:27:54 am »

Urist McCoder:
And while I think lurking is worse , I don't necessarily think it is a scum tell
Humor me.  Lurking is worse than what, exactly? 

Tawarochir:
(1)There was barely anything to go on except for LW's tirade about Fallacy, and (2)I thought that voting based on that would provoke votes on me based on bandwagoning tells. (3)Then the day ended before there was enough discussion to provoke thought because of the lurking-level being over 9000.
1 - So why didn't you try to stir up discussion yourself?  If you think you can just sit back and wait for the other players to play the game for you then you have another think coming.
2 - Ahh, self-preservation.  You realize that looks scummy, right?
[If you feel you have good reason to vote someone, then you drop a vote on their ass.  If someone wants to go all "oooh oooh baaaaandwaaaaagon" afterwards then you stop them in their tracks with a "bitch, please.  I have reasons A, B, and C here for voting MacScumbucket over there and you can take your bandwagon accusations and shove them up your ass".]
3 - So then why didn't you try to extend the day if you felt it shouldn't have ended?!?

H4zardZ1:
hurr durr
Oh, well, thank you H4zardZ1, for your keen insight.  This surely makes up for not having done anything of value during all of D2.  And may I further add that I hope you didn't harm your precious face while rolling it across your keyboard to make that post. 

ಠ_ಠ

Now, why don't you try again. 

Loud Whispers:
This post
[Holy shit.  No one wants to read that.  My goddamn eyes glazed over instantly upon clicking that link.  And while some players like all that foo foo RP stuff, as soon as I start seeing you talk about luchadores and Emuridian or whatever I've already gone to my happy place in my mind.  Some games are very much flavor/RP heavy.  Look at pretty much any game that Vector ran.  But in a beginner's game?  Now you're just wasting valuable time and space fantasizing about big sweaty dudes in masks and tights, and I don't need to know about your kink.

So, basically, just try to remember that you're trying to convince a group of ferrets with ADHD that some other ferret is scum.  Lead with some strong, but not overly lengthy, points.  If you need to elaborate in greater detail, either think to yourself whether that truly is necessary or put it in a spoiler.  Or at least put it down at the bottom of your post.
]

Between losing nqt, leading the lynch on FOU and the lurkers I'm left needing time to think, a little shaken up by FOU just being a noob.
[Yes, yes, boo hoo, NQT went before his time, etc.  If you're that shaken up by losing players in a game where you regularly lose two every day, am I going to need to start sprinkling my posts with trigger warnings for you?  Goodness knows I'm all about thinking things out and making sure you're not going to shoot yourself in the foot, but you've got two whole days of players saying stuff and four roleflips.  That's a wealth of information to work with!  Even if you don't have a strong case on anyone, at least fire off a few questions to get the conversation started.  You've got to have at least something tucked away in the back of your head that could be bugging you.  And then while those questions are being answered, you can work on more deeply figuring out who is scum.]

Urist McCoder: Why do you deny that lurking is a scumtell? Additionally, you've been lurking quite a bit. Why should I believe that you're not trying to throw suspicion off yourself by claiming your biggest tell isn't a tell?
Oh, I haven't gotten to trot this out in a while.  Hypocrisy is not a scumtell (towards bottom of post).

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: July 28, 2015, 11:19:20 am »

Shakerag When I said that I think lurking is worse. I meant worse than causing mass confusion which is what fou did.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: July 28, 2015, 11:22:31 am »

shakerag before he replaced out 4maskwolf was voting for tawarochir. Does tawarochir strike you as scummy at all?

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:15 am »

Urist McCoder:
Shakerag When I said that I think lurking is worse. I meant worse than causing mass confusion which is what fou did.
Really?  Let's analyze:

Mass confusion:
Whoever is starting it is likely to be lynched.  Bad if that person is town.
Mass confusion implies multiple players are affected, so instead of scumhunting other targets, we've got a bunch of people trying to sort out what the hell some knucklehead is going on about.
This situation provides an excellent smokescreen for scum to avoid detection, and push a mislynch.
Mass confuser gets lynched, and so now everyone is all "oh shit, what do we do now because we're all spent after that clusterfluck yesterday". 

Lurker:
You have one player that is hard to read. 
You can go after other targets in the meantime.
You lynch the lurker, check the roleflip, and continue on with the game.
Or, optionally, ignore the lurker, and continue to scumhunt the rest of the players, dealing with the lurker later.

How is the former preferable to the latter?

shakerag before he replaced out 4maskwolf was voting for tawarochir. Does tawarochir strike you as scummy at all?
You all strike me as scummy.  From my perspective, half of you are scum and the other half are newbies.  Am I going to vote Tawarochir?  Maybe.  But I need to put the thumbscrews on all of you first to figure that out.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: July 28, 2015, 12:28:42 pm »

1 - So why didn't you try to stir up discussion yourself?  If you think you can just sit back and wait for the other players to play the game for you then you have another think coming.
If you feel you have good reason to vote someone, then you drop a vote on their ass.  If someone wants to go all "oooh oooh baaaaandwaaaaagon" afterwards then you stop them in their tracks with a "bitch, please.  I have reasons A, B, and C here for voting MacScumbucket over there and you can take your bandwagon accusations and shove them up your ass".]
3 - So then why didn't you try to extend the day if you felt it shouldn't have ended?!?
1 - The thought never really occured to me, I suppose.
2 - "Self-preservation is a scumtell"? In your own words, explain why. thanks for the advice by the way
3 - I forgot how quickly the day would end.
Urist McCoder:
Urist McCoder: Why do you deny that lurking is a scumtell? Additionally, you've been lurking quite a bit. Why should I believe that you're not trying to throw suspicion off yourself by claiming your biggest tell isn't a tell?
Oh, I haven't gotten to trot this out in a while.  Hypocrisy is not a scumtell (towards bottom of post).
Let me get something straight here. The crux of your argument against my argument is:
Hypocrisy isn't a scum tell because regardless of what offenses a player commits it says nothing about the validity of his arguments.
That has nothing to do with what I said. McCoder outright denied that lurking is a scumtell, even though lurking is consistently seen to be a tell, and I'm asking why I shouldn't think that he's not trying to throw suspicion off by denying that it's a tell in the first place.

So now I have a question for you.

Why were you defending McCoder?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: July 28, 2015, 12:29:27 pm »

Um, I forgot to remove McCoder's quote tag in that last one. Just read it without that.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 28, 2015, 01:34:03 pm »

Um, I forgot to remove McCoder's quote tag in that last one. Just read it without that.
[Can you just repost it with correct formatting?  It's hard to read that way.
Also, if you totally bone the formatting it is more than acceptable to just doublepost with a cleaner looking post.
]

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: July 28, 2015, 01:38:37 pm »

Repost:
If you feel you have good reason to vote someone, then you drop a vote on their ass.  If someone wants to go all "oooh oooh baaaaandwaaaaagon" afterwards then you stop them in their tracks with a "bitch, please.  I have reasons A, B, and C here for voting MacScumbucket over there and you can take your bandwagon accusations and shove them up your ass".]
2 - "Self-preservation is a scumtell"? In your own words, explain why. thanks for the advice by the way
Urist McCoder:
Let me get something straight here. The crux of your argument against my argument is:
Hypocrisy isn't a scum tell because regardless of what offenses a player commits it says nothing about the validity of his arguments.
That has nothing to do with what I said. McCoder outright denied that lurking is a scumtell, even though lurking is consistently seen to be a tell, and I'm asking why I shouldn't think that he's not trying to throw suspicion off by denying that it's a tell in the first place.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: July 28, 2015, 03:13:19 pm »

Tawarochir:
1 - What thought never really occurred to you?  That you should participate in the game at hand?
2 - Generally speaking, scum are outnumbered.  It is a greater loss to scum to lose a member than it is for the town to lose a member.  Therefore scum are much more careful about not dying.  Whereas town can (in a manner of speaking) afford to lose a few members if that would help identify the scum.  Ergo, town members can (and should) be aggressive in the hopes of making scum slip up and reveal themselves.  [Advice is what I'm here for.]
3 - Okay, that's dumb, but not scummy.  [Please keep deadlines in mind in the future.  You won't see it in beginner's games (likely), but in other games end-of-day shenanigans can be a thing.]

Okay, technically that link should have been in my IC Voice, but let's roll with it anyway. 
[Also, technically, you are correct.  I did kind of not exactly read carefully there.  My bad.  But that aside, it's still a good point to know about.]

So, fair enough, I didn't quite parse what you were saying.  And, arguably, you both are right.  Lurking is consistently seen to be a scumtell.  Or at least a you're-not-exactly-helping tell.  I would say that McCoder is not exactly using the best meaning of "lurking".  Because, as he said:
I just think that lurking has a good chance of being caused by stuff like, schedule, bad internet, having other obligations. so I am not quick to say he is lurking lynch him.
I would say that if you're not posting often because of schedule, bad internet, or other obligations, that's more of an "excused absence" sort of thing.  We know Real Life happens.  These games run a long time and schedule conflicts are inevitable.  You let everyone know that a tsunami is heading toward your island, we expect to not see you for a while, the game goes on.  Is that lurking?  Teeeechnically.  But I think we tend to more generally associate "lurking" with "you don't have a damn good reason for not posting". 

[And it is very, very not cool to "lurk" and make up a legitimate reason to explain away said lurking.  Poor sportsmanship.]

So, you're asking me why am I defending McCoder?  I would say that my goal wasn't to defend McCoder.  My goal was to point out an argument that I thought was flawed.  Which, I kind of did. Just not how I intended to originally. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #416 on: July 28, 2015, 03:46:13 pm »

Top lel, triggered by Luchadores

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: July 28, 2015, 03:58:14 pm »

Top lel, triggered by Luchadores
I do try to entertain.  Now play the game, smartass.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: July 28, 2015, 03:59:10 pm »

So, you're asking me why am I defending McCoder?  I would say that my goal wasn't to defend McCoder.  My goal was to point out an argument that I thought was flawed.  Which, I kind of did. Just not how I intended to originally. 
Fair enough.

H4zardZ1, why didn't you include yourself in your scum list? Why did you offer to swap out, then come back and do nothing?

Urist McCoder, who do you think is the least scummy, and why?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #419 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:25 pm »

I do try to entertain.  Now play the game, smartass.
You don't sound like you're having fun. Would you like to calm yourself first?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 35