Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Scum Victory  (Read 47969 times)

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - D1: Locker Room (9/9)
« Reply #210 on: July 15, 2015, 01:14:42 pm »

Auto correct messed up your name tawarich, and galaxy's name

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 15, 2015, 01:59:06 pm »

I mean, if you could take one plain, boring town role with no special abilities, and give it a specialized role like cop or doctor, what would you give it?
Well I seem to have a bias towards thinking that blocking roles are more useful, so probably one of those. I guess because they have a concrete result, while to function cops have to either convince everyone else of their results, or out themselves as a power role and make that convincing easier. Given the current situation a roleblocker would be more useful than a doctor I reckon, since at this point there's most of the players who scum might want dead, but only a few who I consider to be particularly likely to be scum.
But honestly I don't think that there's much help we would get out of power roles, unless the mafia were also to end up with some. The only things we really need to be able to do with this setup are identify and protect against scum, which the cop and jailor can do. And those are the two we've been given a chance of getting.
I'd appreciate if the ICs had anything to say about that, though. They obviously have more experience with weird combinations of roles.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 15, 2015, 03:05:00 pm »

I mean, if you could take one plain, boring town role with no special abilities, and give it a specialized role like cop or doctor, what would you give it?
Well I seem to have a bias towards thinking that blocking roles are more useful, so probably one of those. I guess because they have a concrete result, while to function cops have to either convince everyone else of their results, or out themselves as a power role and make that convincing easier. Given the current situation a roleblocker would be more useful than a doctor I reckon, since at this point there's most of the players who scum might want dead, but only a few who I consider to be particularly likely to be scum.
But honestly I don't think that there's much help we would get out of power roles, unless the mafia were also to end up with some. The only things we really need to be able to do with this setup are identify and protect against scum, which the cop and jailor can do. And those are the two we've been given a chance of getting.
I'd appreciate if the ICs had anything to say about that, though. They obviously have more experience with weird combinations of roles.
This is all reasonable enough, except I'd say that blocking roles in a vanilla setup will most often do nothing (because they're hitting vanilla town) whereas unless you're blocked or your target is nightkilled, a cop always gets definite information. If you can clear enough living players as town and you can help avoid mislynches then the game becomes a lot easier for town.

McCoder, what do you intend to get out of the questionnaire?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 15, 2015, 03:33:40 pm »

Welp I'm going to need a vote count so I can see how dead I am.
Yeah, I've given up on the "I am town" thing. It serves no useful purpose at the moment.

To be honest, at this point in time I have no real clue who to go after. Especially considering I suspect the scum are going to use whoever I vote as evidence against me, one way or another.

A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 15, 2015, 03:43:24 pm »

How To Do Vote Counts and Check for Lurking on Bay12

Go to Zombie Urist's lurker tracker - https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~azhou/projects/LT/

Put in the link for the first day of D1 in the Thread Url field - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150970.msg6373077#msg6373077

Check the 'Clear database' box

Press 'Track'

See the 'Last vote' entry for each player

Unofficial Vote Count
FallacyofUrist - [5] Graknorke, 4maskwolf , Tawarochir, Loud Whispers, H4zardZ1 
Hiddenleafguy - [1] NQT

Not voting: Hiddenleafguy, Urist McCoder, FallacyofUrist

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 15, 2015, 03:48:04 pm »

Crikey. Well that's a problem.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 15, 2015, 03:54:40 pm »

Fallacy, which of the people voting you is doing so for the weakest reasons?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 15, 2015, 03:58:26 pm »

I'd say H4zardZ1.

He only has two poorly stated reasons:
the "I am town" thing
And because I put a finger of suspicion on 4maskwolf.

I have no answer for the "I am town" thing, however...
Finger of suspicion is used to indicate suspicion, not a higher level of certainty. I thought 4maskwolf could have been scum when I used the Finger. It doesn't seem likely now, but I have no way of knowing at the moment.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 15, 2015, 04:01:51 pm »

FallacyofUrist: If you're stumped on ideas for scumhunting, go back and reread the day.  Does anything pop out at you?  Does anything strike you as being just a little bit odd?  But the bread and butter of mafia games is scumhunting, and in a game like this if you don't scumhunt you don't win.  If you think H4zardZ1 has a weak case, pressure him about it.  Ask him questions, force him on the defensive, make him answer to you and not the other way around.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 15, 2015, 04:03:26 pm »

At which point he attacks me using my own arguments...

blast I'm getting defensive. Excuse me, I've got reading to do.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 15, 2015, 04:06:23 pm »

FallacyofUrist: Don't give people the finger, it's rude :P

FallacyofUrist again: People will attack you, yes, sometimes using your own arguments.  It's the nature of the game.  It's your job to turn the tables on the other team, and to point out where arguments are weak and possibly scummy.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 15, 2015, 04:08:57 pm »

okay, I did some reading and reasoning, and it seems the five people who have bandwagoned me are doing so because my attack was a tad bit insane and I was all over the place.

Blast it, isn't that the point of the random voting stage?

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 15, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

McCoder, what do you intend to get out of the questionnaire?
I had no idea what angle to pursue next so I asked a ton of random questions.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 15, 2015, 04:43:49 pm »

isn't that the point of the random voting stage?
No, the random votes in the RVS are supposed to be put on effectively to focus on one person to ask questions to, then when they do, you change your vote. Not to vote on one person and then tunnel-vision them for no reason.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 15, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »

Hm. Good to know.

Out of curiosity, how many games of mafia have you played before, Graknorke?

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 35