Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Scum Victory  (Read 47890 times)

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - D1: Locker Room (9/9)
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2015, 05:57:34 pm »

But since I'm me, I know I'm town and thus a Urist McCoder and me scum team is impossible.
Do you realize how suspicious you're looking right now? You've been bringing up "I'm town" every ten seconds. That's not going to convince any of us that it's true, but you're acting like it's cold, hard, logical proof that you wouldn't do anything like this.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »

If I didn't back up, would you call that scummy also
You can hunt without insisting that someone is definitely scum and urging everyone else to vote with them, despite a distinct lack of evidence. Your supposed scum team has made 3 posts between them, and none since you accused them of being such.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2015, 06:01:22 pm »

... true. None of you have proof I'm town at the moment. If I get lynched the role flip will give you the perspective needed to know I'm speaking truly, but otherwise I'm going to have to use other reasoning.

... unfortunately I don't have enough information to prove I'm not scum, at the moment. Oh dear.

~~~
Bah. Too much inactivity.

I would speak on the possibility of a Graknorke and Tawarochir scum team, but that would backfire heavily at the moment.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2015, 06:03:03 pm »

Thanks to Flabort for his contribution. One small caveat: I don't think it's a problem to vote alongside other players if that's where your genuine convictions lie. Obviously don't blindly follow the crowd.

Tawa
Do you think Fallacy's wild play is alignment-indicative?

Graknorke
Would there be any reason to not pick the jailor? This isn't a snarky dismissive answer either, that seems like a bit of a non-question to me.
Ah that's interesting. My intuition would be to kill the cop as they can get definite inspects every night, whereas although it's disruptive, the jailor has to interpret their results. My honest response would be to work out who the cop is most likely to inspect and the jailor jail and based on those guesses try and work out who would do the most damage if left alive (which might depend on how competent the jailor and cop were etc.).

So, a question for Everyone, what experience have you had with (forum or otherwise) Mafia before now?
Myself, I've been in one BM before, 45. I feel that the experience taught me a lot about holes, digging, and when to stop. Also that 4mask is terrifyingly focused if he sets his sights on you.
Digging holes is a good thing to avoid. Self awareness and a willingness to calmly and clearly explain yourself will get you a long way in not getting yourself mislynched. I've probably played a few dozen mafia or mafia-like games. Been playing here at Bay12 for about two and half years now.

Urist McCoder
yes this is my first game, and I am so excited to play. nqt why are you so eager to vote?
I like to vote right from the off. There are two main schools of thought on using the vote: some people use it to pressure people, others reserve it for when they're certain about who they want to definitely lynch that day. I am proponent of the first school. Why are you so eager to vote me for being eager to vote?

nqt you are seeming more and more scummy
This is pretty funny as I hadn't posted since you'd last responded, but to address your reasoning:

Then as you pointed out he asked tons of pointless questions. and in my opinion most importantly, he asked everyone except for Tawarochir a question. The only reason I can think of for him skipping Tawarochir, is if they are scumbudies.
Each of the questions had a point. I omitted Tawa on purpose to see who was paying attention.

if you are right about NQT and hiddenleafguy it would be a brilliant move on NQT part to immediately voted for hiddenleafguy. so that later on in the game he could reference that in his defense if someone said that he and hiddenleafguy are the scumteam.
Haha! Yeah scum teams often do this cute thing where they vote for one another on D1. Scum don't usually try and earnestly get their partners lynched on the first day though. When weighing up a vote-as-an-alibi, look for how likely it was that that vote was actually trying to get someone killed.

LW
Not at all good sir nqt, not at all!
This is pretty much the only correct answer. Good job.

4mask
... This isn't a competition, and that does nothing to help the game.
Hah, no I didn't mean in a competitive sense. I was curious what advice resonated most with him (which is game relevant).

Loud Whispers, were you disappointed with your role at all?
Say it with me, kids.  ROLEFISHING!
Yes, there are two roles that seven of us are fishing for.

In this setup? Almost always bad.  Are you trying to bait me into going on a pages-long rant?
I'm not trying to bait any rant out of you (as I'm not sure that would be alignment indicative). My experience in the championship has taught me that there can be big gains from town fake-claiming in a vanilla set-up like this.

I'll ask questions later, I'm busy.
I'll hold you to this.

FallacyofUrist

Take a deep breath.

On the other hand... He hasn't asked me a question either. Perhaps he's using his experience to frame Tawarochir and me as a scum team. Ouch.
In mafia we have a phrase we use for this kind of reasoning. It's called WIFOM, or Wine-In-Front-Of-Me.* It refers to a scene from The Princess Bride where someone reasons fallaciously from insufficient premises. There are many reasons I might have omitted you and Tawa. The real reason is that I did it as a test. The ideal post induces an informative reaction. This is a form of scum hunting. I'm glad you noticed I didn't address you.

Aw dang. Oops, I did a scumtell(taking the third vote for a player). Blast.
Arguably it's a worse tell to show reticence to vote with your convictions and changing you behaviour overly to avoid conforming to standard tells.

Should I keep my vote on nqt or move it to hlg?
Why are you asking other players for permission here?

Okay, notquitethere, start talking before we lynch your head off. Notquitethere, please respond.
Hold your horses. It's only been three hours since I last posted.

Okay everybody, NQT and hiddenleafguy are the scum team. Or at least I believe they are.
I can 100% assure you that you are wrong.

(Er... how can I put more pressure on NQT? The only things I can do to him are posting and voting, and more posts might serve the opposite purpose of what I intend. And my vote's already on him.)
I suggest when I've posted a bit more, looking to see if my future posts back up your theory and if they do then you should clearly explain how. That would put more pressure on.

You know what... I've realized that voting for hiddenleafguy may be the best way to put pressure on NQT. Let's call his bluff.
I'm so glad I joined this game, this is hilarious. I didn't even realise I was bluffing!

Yes, I... never mind. Hunting without dense amounts of evidence doesn't seem to be working. Unvote hiddenleafguy.
We can only go with what evidence we have available. At the end of the day town need to be sure they're voting the scummiest player.

Notquitethere: what do you think of the posting of me and Urist McCoder thus far?
You've been jumping around with incredibly wild theories. Scum tend to be a bit more reserved so weirdly it speaks well for you. I'll have a better idea as the day goes on. McCoder has been paying a bit of attention but their attack has been a bit weak. I've got no strong conclusions yet.

*edit: I see the others have covered this.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2015, 06:04:33 pm »

I am not really sure what to say. I have not added much because no one has asked me anything, please ask me anything.

The reason I don't think fallacyofurist is mafia is because none of his defenses seem to be about preventing us from lynching him. Instead his only goal seems to be lynching scum. Which as far as I know is not at all how scum plays.

Right now I feel like notquitehere is the most likely scum, due to the fact that he came out of the gate really strongly, but then posted almost nothing else. Which I feel like is really weird.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2015, 06:04:59 pm »

NQT replied right before I posted.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2015, 06:08:05 pm »

Right now I feel like notquitehere is the most likely scum, due to the fact that he came out of the gate really strongly, but then posted almost nothing else. Which I feel like is really weird.
For the record, I had plans between 7PM and 11PM NQT-time (and it took me a little while to write that post). Only start worrying if someone doesn't post for 24 hours+ or only posts minimal content or doesn't seem to have any grasp on how the game is going.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »

Ah... delicious information...

I am not really sure what to say. I have not added much because no one has asked me anything, please ask me anything.

The reason I don't think fallacyofurist is mafia is because none of his defenses seem to be about preventing us from lynching him. Instead his only goal seems to be lynching scum. Which as far as I know is not at all how scum plays.

Hm. Hm hm hm. I'm going to hope that we've got a town cop to work with. That inspection is the weapon I want to have. Unbreakable proof that someone is one alignment or the other. Pity I don't have it, so I've got to hunt the old-fashioned way.

Hm. Oh, I see.

Notquitethere, why aren't you hunting scum in addition to defending yourself?

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2015, 06:13:21 pm »

Tawa
Possibly. It seems quite suspect, but I won't abandon the possibility that Fallacy is simply a confused townie stumbling over clumsy attempts to put theory into practice.
Instead his only goal seems to be lynching scum. Which as far as I know is not at all how scum plays.
It's valid, at the very least. Framing townies is a good way to rack up kills, as long as you think you can avoid suspicion after the townie's alignment has been exposed.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2015, 06:14:36 pm »

I am not quite sure what to say now because NQT has resolved all of my misgivings about him. the reason I posted about feeling like NQt was scum was not because I was anywhere ready to vote for him, it was becasue I had just been accused of not giving out enough information, and I was trying to show my thought process.

Urist McCoder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2015, 06:15:54 pm »

It's valid, at the very least. Framing townies is a good way to rack up kills, as long as you think you can avoid suspicion after the townie's alignment has been exposed.
I do not understand what point you are trying to make, could you please elaborate?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2015, 06:16:23 pm »

Tawa
Possibly. It seems quite suspect, but I won't abandon the possibility that Fallacy is simply a confused townie stumbling over clumsy attempts to put theory into practice.
Instead his only goal seems to be lynching scum. Which as far as I know is not at all how scum plays.
Confused? Yeah, you could say that.

The confusion is probably going to remain until day 3 or so. At that point I can be reasonably certain my data processing is complete.

... now what?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2015, 06:17:39 pm »

Fallacy
Notquitethere, why aren't you hunting scum in addition to defending yourself?
This is actually a very good question. The simple answer was I had several pages worth of responses to answer and so I wanted to do that first, though you will note that my responses were not entirely devoid of questions. The more complex answer is that a lot of my substantive scum-hunting is done towards the end of each day when I look over how everyone's been interacting. We haven't reached that point yet.

Are you going to answer the question I asked you?

McCoder,
Again, why were you so eager to vote me for being eager to vote? Surely that was a self-defeating line of attack?

Hiddenleafguy
My aim in the game is to find all of those scummy wrestler mafia members and lynch them, also to have fun and ya know not get murdered in the middle of the night. My mask is camouflage, since I am Hiddenleafguy.
I won't talk about what roles anyone might have at this stage, but note that it's generally good vanilla town play to bait the scum's kill so the town power roles aren't killed. What do you think of Fallacy's play?

Tawa, is there anyone who's play has been more suspicious?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2015, 06:18:16 pm »

FallacyofUrist
I would speak on the possibility of a Graknorke and Tawarochir scum team, but that would backfire heavily at the moment.
Go for it. As long as the reasoning is clear and makes sense, it's a valid thing to put forwards. At the end of the day, sharing ideas is the only tool that town have to root out the scum.

Urist McCoder
This is distinctly not true. See the quote above, and look at how many times he's mentioned that he's town.
Plus, answering questions isn't adding anything. To really contribute you need to analyse what others have said and try to draw conclusions from it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2015, 06:20:49 pm »

Which I think is going to backfire heavily... gah.
It's either attack and be attacked back or defend and don't get any hunting done, isn't it. Blast it.

Why am I asking other players for permission? I'm not. I'm asking the opinion of other players.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 35