Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Scum Victory  (Read 47884 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LV: Masked Trouble - Scum Victory
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2015, 06:12:48 pm »

That is why we never give up even when a vast majority of people are voting you.
I almost lynched scum.
You almost got lynched.
Good game.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 06, 2015, 06:16:14 pm »

Note, however, that I had a huge confirmation bias; after you flipflopped on your position on Fallacy, I was certain you two were a scum team. I subsequently overthought every little thing you did.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 06, 2015, 06:19:19 pm »

On that note, can we please talk about
Self
and how it is literally the worst possible thing (besides outright claiming to be scum I guess but that would never happen).
A town player has absolutely no motivation to vote for themselves, and scum only have the motivation of doing it to try and look like they don't care, which is still a terrible way to do it. It is in effect a perfect scumtell, seeing as how the only possible benefit for the player would be if they were scum trying to make themselves look pitiable or actually not concerned for their own survival.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:24:18 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 06, 2015, 06:21:48 pm »

Self
and how it is literally the worst possible thing (besides outright claiming to be scum I guess but that would never happen).
A town player has literally no motivation to vote for themselves, and scum only have the motivation of doing it to try and look like they don't care, which is still a terrible way to do it.

Yep. That should have been held against me, honestly. I guess he just gave up?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 06, 2015, 06:29:06 pm »

Replacements are kind of weird, because a lot of the time they can't know the reasoning behind what's been done in the past, so it's not easy to really get a satisfactory answer out of it.

Oh and about satisfactory answers; FoU, parroting the phrase "temporary noob insanity" over and over doesn't make it sound any better with repetition. It'd've been better if you'd just apologised and moved on rather than trying to excuse it in a kind of dishonest way (trying to declare it irrelevant and saying that everyone agrees that it's not important, even though both are not the case). You fuck up that bad, you grovel :P
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 06:32:28 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:31 pm »

Add that to my list of things not to do in my next game of mafia.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 06, 2015, 07:35:19 pm »

Self
A town player has absolutely no motivation to vote for themselves, and scum only have the motivation of doing it to try and look like they don't care, which is still a terrible way to do it. It is in effect a perfect scumtell, seeing as how the only possible benefit for the player would be if they were scum trying to make themselves look pitiable or actually not concerned for their own survival.
Voting yourself is a terrible idea but its not a scumtell. Voting yourself is not playing to win and neither scum nor town benefit in any way from a self vote. I've rarely ever seen a scum player vote themselves before, and it is more common that it occurs in new players who are stressed out with the game.

Similarly, these posts are what made me the most annoyed in the game:
That says scum.

Note in the first post, one of the rules is "play to win". I hope that doesn't count as quoting the mod, but I don't thank it should. That defense is- that isn't a defense.

You could have logiced it out, tried to actually fight for your survival. Instead... you just gave up. That, plus a double dose of passiveness, marks you as scum. This makes me want to keep my vote on you even more.

This is likely your last chance to logically explain why you are not scum instead of being passive noobscum. Please, explain thoroughly, or suffer the consequences.
That isn't a defence. A defence would look at your actions before now and your motives doing them to show that it's things that it wouldn't make sense for scum to do.
Then again, that might be hard for you since a good portion of your posts so far have been bordering on shitposting, or at the very least of no real substance in terms of trying to root out the match fixers. Instead you just kind of weakly recycle arguments like you want to stay out of it. You're doing that right now, even. I don't know if you thought that giving up would make people think you're town, but it won't.

Ninjad: And this ended up being pretty much what Fallacy said.
Giving up when facing a lynch is not a scumtell, its an inevitable response to an untenable situation. Could he have gone out better, yes. But his giving up and claiming his role is not a scumtell.

To quote my scumchat post: "Wow, Graknorke and Fallacy are not being nice to hiddenleafguy about his last posts. Seriously, its obvious that leaf is on a phone and can't make long posts, doesn't take the game as seriously as the others think he should, failed to defend himself, and is making newbie mistakes. None of these mean he's scum."

Things to be more mindful of was McCoder's preoccupation with his towniness and bandwagoning on other players D1, as well as Doctor McTallk's post with good reads, but failing to actually vote anyone.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 06, 2015, 08:19:13 pm »

Hm. Things I should have noticed. Pity.
Ah well. In fact, when I look back at it, Urist McCoder was more scummy than hiddenleafguy- moreover, hiddenleafguy's only reason for being lynched was a lack of defense while Urist McCoder had a lot more issues with his play.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 07, 2015, 03:16:57 am »

Honestly I probably voted for HLG because the really flippant attitude was getting on my nerves. I could probably have rationalised it later but it wouldn't have been entirely true.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

H4zardZ1

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 07, 2015, 10:30:28 am »

Guess bussing myself didn't work. And i was seriously trying hard to suicide too.
I should've responded with the prod with "I am scum, plz lynch me"
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 10:35:52 am by H4zardZ1 »
Quote from: Rock
Quote from: Comrade Qwasich
Stop bullying children
I can't
I have to bully children
Sigtext and other things

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 07, 2015, 10:36:42 am »

Worse than abandoning the game or just vanishing is ruining it for everyone else too. Don't do that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 09, 2015, 01:35:25 pm »

Giving up when facing a lynch is not a scumtell, its an inevitable response to an untenable situation. Could he have gone out better, yes. But his giving up and claiming his role is not a scumtell.
This, newbies. Y'all should discern when the real speaker are your emotions [which may play a bias towards the person in question] or your rationality [which is independent of temporal effects in order to make a critical judgement].

The latter is a crucial element to a good player's arsenal.

Also don't vote yourself if you feel just like giving up--either let the time slide while checking the state of the game, or inquire further.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 05, 2015, 04:14:06 pm »

When will there be another Beginner's Mafia game?
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 05, 2015, 08:21:13 pm »

You mean this one that has also finished. Also, we have a beginner thread. It is stickied at the top of the board.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 05, 2015, 08:32:12 pm »

You mean this one that has also finished. Also, we have a beginner thread. It is stickied at the top of the board.
To be fair, the beginners' thread is out of date, as it links to this thread as the "current game".
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35