Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: trading..  (Read 1220 times)

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
trading..
« on: May 24, 2015, 11:07:47 am »

so during trading i give the other side a fair deal with them profiting about 10000 whateverthefuckcurrencydwarfsuse and they still complain about "not getting away with all that shit"

why? also completely unrelated question. if you attack a dwarven liason and the traders that come with him will the dorfs in your own fort rebel againts the military?.

just asking cause... y know..i wanna know

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: trading..
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 11:36:50 am »

Was it with the elves? You probably traded to them with wood. They won't accept wood.

Yes, this a loyalty spiral. I just suggest against it, as killing the outpost liaison is kind of... Stupid.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:27 am »

If you give them too much, you might go over their carrying capacity. This is a nice little mechanic that stops you from swapping "shit rock craft" * 5000 for a few high value items.

Attacking your own civ's traders is a good way to cause a loyalty spiral. See here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Faction#Loyalty_cascade
This is a blank sig.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 11:47:34 am »

Trade profit is based on percentages rather than absolutes, as far as I understand it. A factor is also the skill of the trader. However, making a "good" deal is actually counter productive, because caravan sizes (and thus goods selections) are based on how profitable the caravan route is. Also, since the economy is broken on the verge of non existent, there is no reason at all to haggle, except possibly during the first year and a half before the xsocksx production ramps up.

Offering 60000 for something worth 50000 is rejected, while offering 20000 for something worth 10000 will probably make them ecstatic. My early experiments pointed towards a payment of 150% was generally accepted. Also, each rejected bid will raise the acceptance point, if I understand it correctly.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:50:44 am »

actually i was trading everything they had(they were dwarfs) for like 10 axe blade traps...and i got pissy when they said no...nobody says no to me...

and yeah that loyalty spiral nearly fucked me over.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 01:41:50 pm »

There is also the Trader's mood, how excited they are about the "next" trade you make with them there.

If you make tiny trades at first (items < 11$) and give them about 3:1, they soon become "ecstatic". Then you can make one big last trade at about 1.25:1 (for all the high-$$$ stuff thrown together) and they'll swallow it. This is handy for an early fort, or any one that isn't swimming in wealth.

Otoh, if you've been giving them the least they'll accept, their mood will stay "meh", and you'll never get a good price on the really expensive items.

Note - if you're trying to boost immigration, over-paying is a GOOD thing, the whole way through. Also good if you just don't need all those +chairs+ and -tables- - as long as they have the lift (visible on one side of the bottom of the Trading screen), might as well throw them at the Traders. 

So decide what your goal is, and take your tactics from there.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »

ah well..i did get my stuff by the end of the day. it only costed the lifes of about 100 or so dwarfs..but thats a sacrifice i am willing to make again if i have to

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2015, 02:39:04 pm »

Overpaying = more caravans, thus more wealth visiting your fortress... even when being evil, it's worth being patient.
One wheel short of a wagon

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 02:55:16 pm »

Overpaying = more caravans, thus more wealth visiting your fortress... even when being evil, it's worth being patient.

but the thing is I WAS overpaying them.

they were making a profit of about 15k dwarvenwhateverthefuckcoins or so. they just complained about the quantity of the stuff i took. and even when i deselected some of the stuff they still complained. so ofcourse i had to teach them a lesson....plus its not about the profit. its about sending a message. to not waste my time in trading...

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2015, 03:33:51 pm »

How big were your trading? What's your broker's skill like?
One wheel short of a wagon

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 07:21:03 am »

How big were your trading? What's your broker's skill like?

the normal starting dorf trader.great appraiser,novice negotiator,dabbling persuader, novice judge of intent and rusty novice conversationalist....id change it to something better if i had any.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 12:33:21 pm »

"Rusty conversationalist"? Do you have no meeting hall? Is this guy a leper? How does that skill go "rusty" in a fortress full of dwarves?

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 12:42:08 pm »

"Rusty conversationalist"? Do you have no meeting hall? Is this guy a leper? How does that skill go "rusty" in a fortress full of dwarves?

i have no freaking idea. he might actually be drowing in work since im pretty fanatic when it comes to mining....and he is a miner and a trader...

on another side. the end number for the amount of dorfs dead in this debacle is: 82.

we gained the fruits we wanted. plus some iron and steel weapons plus armor...so all and all i would say this was a great success.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 01:15:15 pm »

I'm lazy when it comes to trading. For the first few years I trade stone mugs, which I have one dwarf dedicated to producing full-time, and tend to give traders 100% profit, and only do the one trade, unless I forget something. After a couple years and a few migrant waves I shift over to producing dyed cloth crafts for a couple reasons. First, they're lighter, so your dwarves aren't constantly staggering under the weight of the full crates. Second, they're worth more, especially once your weaver, dyer, and clothier are all Legendary. Third, once I've got the process set up I don't have to constantly produce more materials for it manually, whereas for stone crafts I keep having to designate new stone to be quarried.

I know I could just sell turkey egg roasts, but cloth crafts feel less exploity to me.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 03:46:53 pm »

i dont really want to start a new threat for this but: silver scourge and silver whips...melt or keep-.

i mean on one hand i hear scourges and whips are op as fuck. but on other hand silver is shoddy material for slashing weapons-..

also i did not obtain these by killing a human trade caravan.
Pages: [1] 2