Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Lighthouse: The Age of Destiny, the Age of Ruin (OOC Thread. Game Started!)  (Read 20882 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah. Sorry, I'll fix it. The hearing Bay Twelve thing was because I'm not very creative and I need ideas, and so that people don't get bored and forget about this game while they're on the wait list.

Wait.

May we take flaws for more skill points?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 10:14:59 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Ah. Sorry, I'll fix it. The hearing Bay Twelve thing was because I'm not very creative and I need ideas, and so that people don't get bored and forget about this game while they're on the wait list.

Wait.

May we take flaws for more skill points?

A system I thought about implementing, but no. Perks and flaws will grow in later, and they're not going to be tied to your skills. (Directly)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anything wrong with mine Draignean? Probably need to edit the wording of the biography and other descriptions, but I'll do that later.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:10:44 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

... You're good, but you're not that good.

Okay. Working on it.

EDIT: Changed some skills, did some stuff.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:32:29 am by Pencil_Art »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

So, I decided to take Mutei Braineating to its logical conclusion. As such I have a pretty firm biography in my mind when I was making the charsheet (which mostly consists of a couple hundred generations of Mutei parents gifting their brains and all their associated memories to their children once they near death, leading to an ancestral memory that stretches all the way back to when the Mutei first arrived on the continent. Storing such a ludicrous amount of memories has quite a few drawbacks and the transferral process isn't perfect in any case. Still, ancient primeval memories haunt Marban's nightmares, of ships travelling through a even darker void, of strange lights sprinkled through the sky. Sometimes he has difficulty differentiating between the present and a time long past, only existing within some deep recess of his mind.) However, super-tired right now.

Hoping we can be some sort of team of combat researchers delving into long forgotten tombs and the like so my ridicolous scholar specialization can be marginally useful. Like seriously, my character is a walking library of secret knowledge, forbidden knowledge, unknown to anyone else, but not really anything else beyond that.

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

Mechanically, you've spent 6 of your 5 skill points. You can't reach tier 3 in any one skill at start.
Uh what? Skill costs don't increase linearly? That's abominable. I fail at math forever it seems.

Quote from: Skill Selection
The first tier of any skill costs one point, then the next skill costs two skill points, and so on.

Fluff wise, keep in mind that the memory transfer process attenuates considerably. If you get four fifths of the major memories (which is optimistic) of the original, then the next in line gets only a bit more than three fifths of the original memories. After ten generations you're retaining only about 10% (at best) of the original, and you're running into other problems.

The Mutei mind is designed to hold more memory than most, but it's still not perfect. The memories that last the longest between transfers are the ones with the strongest emotional connections. The Mutei who are passionate about their science can preserve critical knowledge for generations, but the other emotions add up as well. No life is without sorrow, without fear. A single lifetime brings scars, old regrets and hurts that people simply learn to live with.  The fact that those scars are almost certainly passed down when gifting the mind... It can be a terrible burden, and a reason why some brains are simply preserved until they are needed again.

To keep an inheritance line alive since the wandering era, that would be crippling. Specific memories would be all but gone, but flashes of anger, irrational phobias of objects you've never seen, grief welling up from nothing... A person with that much memory would receive both respect and pity anywhere in Mutei society. You can do it, but it's a hard character. Even with the shadows of memory from that far back, you'd have no frame of reference to interpret most of it.
...that's somewhat worse than what I was going for. Eeeeh.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:31:53 am by Demonic Spoon »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Mechanically, you've spent 6 of your 5 skill points. You can't reach tier 3 in any one skill at start.
Uh what? Skill costs don't increase linearly? That's abominable.

The first tier of any skill costs one point, then the next skill costs two skill points, and so on.
They do increase linearly, but 1+2+3=6, not 5.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

Uh what? Skill costs don't increase linearly? That's abominable.

They do increase linearly, but 1+2+3=6, not 5.
...such math fail. Thanks Irony.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Two questions:

Firstly, how does injury work for a Bale, given that they can shapeshift? Is it just a matter of losing biomass like it was for a Cellburner?

Secondly, what happens if two Mutei eat one half of the same Mutei brain each?

Thirdly, what sort of crab do the Bale most resemble in terms of legs-to-body ratio, in a range from spider crab to terrestrial crab? Or does this freely differ between Bale?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 07:12:33 am by Harry Baldman »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anything wrong with mine Draignean? Probably need to edit the wording of the biography and other descriptions, but I'll do that later.

Looks good from here, a fine captain entry.

Two questions:

Firstly, how does injury work for a Bale, given that they can shapeshift? Is it just a matter of losing biomass like it was for a Cellburner?

Secondly, what happens if two Mutei eat one half of the same Mutei brain each?

Thirdly, what sort of crab do the Bale most resemble in terms of legs-to-body ratio, in a range from spider crab to terrestrial crab? Or does this freely differ between Bale?

Q 1/2: The internal organs of a Bale remain constant, as do their mineral components. They get squished around and pressed into different configurations, which is why they can have difficulty breathing, eating, drinking, etc, when out of their natural shape. Damage indicates bruising and bleeding in the connective tissues, damage to the organs, or cracking/fracturing/breaking of the bone/exoskeleton. Switching shapes doesn't fix anything other than obvious tears in the mobile tissues.

Q 2/2:  Eating part of a brain would confer part of the memories. However, memories are preserved in the context of their original neural state. Without the entire brain, the efficacy of the transfer degrades. Assuming an even split of the hippocampus-analogue, eating a full mutei brain reproduces the full set of memories with an optimal 4/5ths transfer efficacy, but half the brain would reproduce 50% of the memories with a 2/5ths transfer efficacy. Of course, that's assuming you're divvying up the brain like a pizza. If you're not ensuring that those central, memory-centric structures are evenly distributed, all bets are off.

Q 3/2: Closer to a spider crab. Despite their width, the total volume of a Bale isn't often terribly greater than that of a large human. A fact that allows them to effectively emulate most other races. Rather than being much different in terms of height, it's this difference in limb thickness that is the primary genetic physical variation in Bale.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Ah, so if I imagined a Bale as sort of like this enterprising individual, minus a pair of legs and with some unusual forelimbs, and also considerably scaled up, I'd be roughly on the money? Very enlightening, in any case.

As for brain-eating, when does the memory transfer take effect? Is it at some point when the brain is being digested that one gets the memories, or is it the act itself that gets them in one's possession? As in, is it a magical (well, it'd have to be magical, I mean, but is it obviously magical with some apparent tell?) or a mundane process?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ah, so if I imagined a Bale as sort of like this enterprising individual, minus a pair of legs and with some unusual forelimbs, and also considerably scaled up, I'd be roughly on the money? Very enlightening, in any case.

As for brain-eating, when does the memory transfer take effect? Is it at some point when the brain is being digested that one gets the memories, or is it the act itself that gets them in one's possession? As in, is it a magical (well, it'd have to be magical, I mean, but is it obviously magical with some apparent tell?) or a mundane process?

Yes, that completely adorable gentlemanly crab is just about perfect. And, if you look at the left side of that crab, the poor fellow is already down one leg. In essence, the left side of that crab is an excellent example of rough Bale physiology, minus about twenty-eight eyes.

As for brain eating, it's a bit more involved than just horking down bits of brain. It was based on something I read sometime back about types of slug, or perhaps worm or planaria, being able to navigate mazes more effectively after being fed the remains of successful runners. (Though I can't remember now if that was replicable or a fluke brought on by poor experimental design) In other words, the transfer is not inherently magical appearing. The process of eating a brain properly takes a few hours, and it involves a great deal of careful work with the mess of tentacles the Mutei use in place of tongue and teeth.
---

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Now I want to meet and compliment whoever thought of that variable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Yes, sir. We've accounted for variations in path length, wall thickness, number of turns, wall height, light level, runner health, food distribution, runner gender, runner age, ambient electric charge, the magnetic field of the earth, breeding season, and lunar cycle."

"Have you tried cannibalism?"

"Me personally, sir, or the worms?"

"... The worms. Honestly, Lecter, there are times I worry about you."

On a less silly note, have you decided on where to go with your character, Irony?

I figured that we needed a tech guy to build the team some cool stuff, and I figured that people would be disappointed of they didn't get to be a part of this game, so I made Nimvedih:

Okay, the bio is is sort of more okay now. I'm fine with insanity, I'm just not sure how well meta-insanity will play. There are people I trust to be able to do it, but I don't know you from Adam.

Furthermore, your skills and attributes are still wrong. You changed them, but they're still wrong for the same reasons. You cannot purchase skills out of their sequence, and you cannot have any attribute higher than 50. That includes racial bonuses.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:48:16 pm by Draignean »
---

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Yes, sir. We've accounted for variations in path length, wall thickness, number of turns, wall height, light level, runner health, food distribution, runner gender, runner age, ambient electric charge, the magnetic field of the earth, breeding season, and lunar cycle."

"Have you tried cannibalism?"

"Me personally, sir, or the worms?"

"... The worms. Honestly, Lecter, there are times I worry about you."

On a less silly note, have you decided on where to go with your character, Irony?

I figured that we needed a tech guy to build the team some cool stuff, and I figured that people would be disappointed of they didn't get to be a part of this game, so I made Nimvedih:

Okay, the bio is is sort of more okay now. I'm fine with insanity, I'm just not sure how well meta-insanity will play. There are people I trust to be able to do it, but I don't know you from Adam.

Furthermore, your skills and attributes are still wrong. You changed them, but they're still wrong for the same reasons. You cannot purchase skills out of their sequence, and you cannot have any attribute higher than 50. That includes racial bonuses.
Oh. You probably should have specified that racial bonuses can't get you higher than 50 in the wiki.

Also, that first part seems like good signature material.

This game is done with hexes, right?

Edit: Is my sheet okay now?

Also, Adam?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:06:28 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

A fanciful way of saying that I don't know you.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15