Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Lighthouse: The Age of Destiny, the Age of Ruin (OOC Thread. Game Started!)  (Read 20866 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

Really, it makes we wonder why there aren't any airships?
There aren't?
Well that's what I was asking really. I haven't seen any mentions of such yet at least, but I'm only about halfway working through the material. Are there airships then?
But from your description Arbitromancy, using it to divine information would not be possible? A shame since that was something I had some vague ideas to use pretty heavily.
No, looking forwards in time doesn't work so well. The Fanai tried it and foresaw their inevitable triumph. Turns out predicting the future via belief has a pretty heavy confirmation bias.
Ah, not quite what I meant. Rather than looking into the future I was thinking stuff like "how do the lighthouses work" etc.

EDIT: Why in the nine hells isn't the Sea of Ghosts bathed in extreme amount of magic radiation from the unshielded tops of the light towers that makes sailing on it effectively suicide?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:42:09 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

Really, it makes we wonder why there aren't any airships?
There aren't?
Well that's what I was asking really. I haven't seen any mentions of such yet at least, but I'm only about halfway working through the material. Are there airships then?

Hey, I reserve the right to do some showing in addition to my telling. Still, the Fanai fought a long and bloody war with a species that possessed the innate ability to fly. You've got to wonder about the kind of war tech they developed to compensate.

Ah, not quite what I meant. Rather than looking into the future I was thinking stuff like "how do the lighthouses work" etc.

EDIT: Why in the nine hells isn't the Sea of Ghosts bathed in extreme amount of magic radiation from the unshielded tops of the light towers that makes sailing on it effectively suicide?

I see. No, it doesn't work, and for pretty much the same reason. Arbitomancy takes something that you feel, that you believe, that you want desperately to occur, queries the Faith Engine for energy capable of powering that belief, and then forces reality to make way for you. Trying to learn something is a bad plan. At best, you'll become (irrationally) certain of something that was already a suspicion or a hope. At worst you'll magically reinforce your ignorance.

As for the Sea of Ghosts. Water is amazing at soaking up radiation. It's why we use it in nuclear fuel rod containment pools. It's good enough that the water just a few feet above the lethally radioactive rods is pretty much safe. That said, the sub-surface towers turn the water in a fair radius around their lights into steam (and plasma). This percolates to the surface in a geyser of steam (Hydrologic cycle yo) that you REALLY don't want to get into.

Most of the oceanic lighthouses are deep beneath the surface of the sea, their light primarily visible through their geyser. Sailing the sea of ghosts is a very rare profession, which is sensible when you consider that the water is primarily full of Satan. Only a very few places have taintless saltwater year-round, which means that salt water fish is quite the delicacy, and other artifacts from the sea are highly prized.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wouldn't eat saltwater fish ever considering the sheer concentrated evil that makes up the ocean apparently. Nothing is safe!

Questions!
  • Why doesn't the taint flow up the Veins of God?
  • Would augmenting life allow stuff like upping memory capacity and/or intelligence? But specifically memory capacity.
  • Too many awesome skills, not enough points. CUUUURSE YOUUU!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 02:00:45 pm by Demonic Spoon »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile

*Jaw drops at the amount of lore and dedication that has been put into this game*

This is a brilliant concept, by the way.

Crikey, Draignean. Excellent stuff. Good luck with the game :)

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

Done.  I hope.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Hm, let's just post a sheet as it's complete. No use in cluttering up the first page, yes?

How's that, then?

Also, smashing good job with the lore, and I can see how it took until now to release this.

EDIT: Slightly edited sheet to adjust for non-captaincy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:39:06 am by Harry Baldman »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I decided to take Mutei Braineating to its logical conclusion. As such I have a pretty firm biography in my mind when I was making the charsheet (which mostly consists of a couple hundred generations of Mutei parents gifting their brains and all their associated memories to their children once they near death, leading to an ancestral memory that stretches all the way back to when the Mutei first arrived on the continent. Storing such a ludicrous amount of memories has quite a few drawbacks and the transferral process isn't perfect in any case. Still, ancient primeval memories haunt Marban's nightmares, of ships travelling through a even darker void, of strange lights sprinkled through the sky. Sometimes he has difficulty differentiating between the present and a time long past, only existing within some deep recess of his mind.) However, super-tired right now.

Hoping we can be some sort of team of combat researchers delving into long forgotten tombs and the like so my ridicolous scholar specialization can be marginally useful. Like seriously, my character is a walking library of secret knowledge, forbidden knowledge, unknown to anyone else, but not really anything else beyond that.

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

Presumably we've got our character sheets in hand. We could start by building a character from the mechanics up, creating a frame of steely attributes filled with the precise clockwork of deadly optimization, and then move on to trying to stretch a characterized personality on top like a Mi-Go with an eating disorder trying to squeeze its way back into a reporter's skin after a long night stuffing its eldritch gob with jelly donuts and inferior brains.
Amusingly, that's usually how I build characters. Start with a cool concept (like plant hivemind dryad), then battle with mechanics until I can get my concept to work, then start implanting personality, biography etc. I love your description though. This time I've bent the mechanics to accomodate the fluff and to hell with it if that means my character is going to get absolute wrecked by a common housecat equivalent.

We know that he's got a set of brands, and he probably didn't get them in a tragic baking accident
Oh man, I can just feel the pain of that Aoul who got his brands in a tragic baking accident. Lol.

gives the Captain a scannable tag that they can look over and see if they actually need an "Underwater Basket Weaver" or a "Southpaw Glass Blower" for their party
Every good mercenary outfit needs an Underwater Basket Weaver!

Hm, let's just post a sheet as it's complete. No use in cluttering up the first page, yes?
Uh, posting incomplete sheets is useful for getting feedback you know? Especially since it'd save you quite some trouble if something important about your character turned out to be unworkable.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:51:03 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

Uh, posting incomplete sheets is useful for getting feedback you know? Especially since it'd save you quite some trouble if something important about your character turned out to be unworkable.

Naw, I mean that I'll just post one in the thread here rather than edit it into my first post and then say "done" in a new post.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Naw, I mean that I'll just post one in the thread here rather than edit it into my first post and then say "done" in a new post.
Ahh.

Anyway, it seems self-evident that the best way to deal with the taint is to set up some sort of lightwall or series of spotlights all along the coast to prevent that icky egg stuff from getting spitted onto land. No more taint demons then once you get rid of all the existing ones. No more tainted ones, and the Tyranny of the dark is effectively broken, since now its just cold and dark instead of cold, dark and filled with demons.

Eh, dream big right?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 04:01:31 pm by Demonic Spoon »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Medical supplies... What kind are we talking? Are we talking about a glorified first aid kit with antiseptic, gauze, light bandages, collapsible splint, and a needle and thread? Or are we talking a trauma kit with actual drugs, simple surgery supplies (scalpel, amputation saw, forceps, clamps, etc), and that class of supply? Is it all cold steel and alchemy, the stuff of lesser technology; or are there cauterizing tools, light bladed scalpels, and arbitomatically purified and purposed medicine vials?
I just want a glorified first aid kit, I'll buy the trauma kit after the prologue
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Medical supplies... What kind are we talking? Are we talking about a glorified first aid kit with antiseptic, gauze, light bandages, collapsible splint, and a needle and thread? Or are we talking a trauma kit with actual drugs, simple surgery supplies (scalpel, amputation saw, forceps, clamps, etc), and that class of supply? Is it all cold steel and alchemy, the stuff of lesser technology; or are there cauterizing tools, light bladed scalpels, and arbitomatically purified and purposed medicine vials?
I just want a glorified first aid kit, I'll buy the trauma kit after the prologue

Alright, 20 C.

Ahh.

Anyway, it seems self-evident that the best way to deal with the taint is to set up some sort of lightwall or series of spotlights all along the coast to prevent that icky egg stuff from getting spitted onto land. No more taint demons then once you get rid of all the existing ones. No more tainted ones, and the Tyranny of the dark is effectively broken, since now its just cold and dark instead of cold, dark and filled with demons.

Eh, dream big right?

Lychnaea is significantly larger than Eurasia. That would be an almost unimaginably enormous structure, not to mention the power requirements and logistics. Plus you'd have to navigate the crystal megaliths and enter the deepest dark to make it even close to complete.

Very big dream.

So, I decided to take Mutei Braineating to its logical conclusion. As such I have a pretty firm biography in my mind when I was making the charsheet (which mostly consists of a couple hundred generations of Mutei parents gifting their brains and all their associated memories to their children once they near death, leading to an ancestral memory that stretches all the way back to when the Mutei first arrived on the continent. Storing such a ludicrous amount of memories has quite a few drawbacks and the transferral process isn't perfect in any case. Still, ancient primeval memories haunt Marban's nightmares, of ships travelling through a even darker void, of strange lights sprinkled through the sky. Sometimes he has difficulty differentiating between the present and a time long past, only existing within some deep recess of his mind.) However, super-tired right now.

Hoping we can be some sort of team of combat researchers delving into long forgotten tombs and the like so my ridicolous scholar specialization can be marginally useful. Like seriously, my character is a walking library of secret knowledge, forbidden knowledge, unknown to anyone else, but not really anything else beyond that.

Spoiler: WIP (click to show/hide)

Mechanically, you've spent 6 of your 5 skill points. You can't reach tier 3 in any one skill at start.

Fluff wise, keep in mind that the memory transfer process attenuates considerably. If you get four fifths of the major memories (which is optimistic) of the original, then the next in line gets only a bit more than three fifths of the original memories. After ten generations you're retaining only about 10% (at best) of the original, and you're running into other problems.

The Mutei mind is designed to hold more memory than most, but it's still not perfect. The memories that last the longest between transfers are the ones with the strongest emotional connections. The Mutei who are passionate about their science can preserve critical knowledge for generations, but the other emotions add up as well. No life is without sorrow, without fear. A single lifetime brings scars, old regrets and hurts that people simply learn to live with.  The fact that those scars are almost certainly passed down when gifting the mind... It can be a terrible burden, and a reason why some brains are simply preserved until they are needed again.

To keep an inheritance line alive since the wandering era, that would be crippling. Specific memories would be all but gone, but flashes of anger, irrational phobias of objects you've never seen, grief welling up from nothing... A person with that much memory would receive both respect and pity anywhere in Mutei society. You can do it, but it's a hard character. Even with the shadows of memory from that far back, you'd have no frame of reference to interpret most of it.

How's that, then?

Excellent, and a very cool idea... for a Bale.

I wouldn't eat saltwater fish ever considering the sheer concentrated evil that makes up the ocean apparently. Nothing is safe!

Questions!
  • Why doesn't the taint flow up the Veins of God?
  • Would augmenting life allow stuff like upping memory capacity and/or intelligence? But specifically memory capacity.
  • Too many awesome skills, not enough points. CUUUURSE YOUUU!
For the first point, two reasons:
First, the Veins of God, and the rivers running through the mountains of the Temani, all empty along various places of the Pure Shore. The Pure Shore is a long region of coast where asynchronous lighting from shoreside and sub-sea lighthouses have created a buffer region of perpetual light on the water. Sometimes the land lights the water, sometimes the water lights the land,  but, regardless, it's virtually impossible for the taint to get into the rivers.

Second, the taint fades in pure water. Not a tenth as quickly as it does when exposed to light, but enough so that Tainted Souls can't poison a town's water supply or serve an individual a tainted glass of wine without the individual immediately noticing the salt and spitting the liquid back out.

As for the second point... A reserved yes. Augmenting the brain of a creature you don't want to have to dispose of will definitely require arbitomancy. Which gets you into the trouble with intent again. The capacity to remember more is not necessarily a good thing, particularly when those memories could crush the psyche of their bearer if remembered simultaneously. In the words of H.P Lovecraft, "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."  Intelligence is equally hard, since how intelligent a person is can be largely a matter of perception. Letting someone modify you forces their definition of intelligence upon you, and modifying yourself can reinforce your insecurities about your intelligence as easily as anything else.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I figured that we needed a tech guy to build the team some cool stuff, and I figured that people would be disappointed of they didn't get to be a part of this game, so I made Nimvedih:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 10:04:45 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Does my current sheet work, Draignean?
Spoiler: Jannary Wolder (done!) (click to show/hide)

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile

If you wouldn't mind looking over mine as well, I would be most appreciative
Spoiler: Rol (click to show/hide)
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you wouldn't mind looking over mine as well, I would be most appreciative
Spoiler: Rol (click to show/hide)

Greater tech repair kit costs 50 C, so you're significantly overspent on purchasing credits. Everything else looks good.

Does my current sheet work, Draignean?
Spoiler: Jannary Wolder (done!) (click to show/hide)
This all looks good.

I figured that we needed a tech guy to build the team some cool stuff, and I figured that people would be disappointed of they didn't get to be a part of this game, so I made Nimvedih:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No. One, on attributes, you cannot have more than 50 points in any one attribute.  Two, on skills, they're trees. You start at the bottom, then climb your way up. You can save points, but you can't buy out of the middle of trees.

As for the bio...  The universal dimming of the Lighthouses is not much more than a rumor at this point, and it certainly hasn't been happening for the last 30 years.

An arbiter accidentally driving someone insane, particular if the arbiter is young and the recipient makes a vague request isn't unheard of, but... You can imagine how I might be a little leery of a character responding to the OOC thread. It's an interesting idea, but there would need to be a lot of filters in there.
---
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15