Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: Lighthouse: The Age of Destiny, the Age of Ruin (OOC Thread. Game Started!)  (Read 20884 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A fanciful way of saying that I don't know you.
Ah.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile

A fanciful way of saying that I don't know you.

Aye. You use Adam's housecat when someone is a total stranger.

Oh. You probably should have specified that racial bonuses can't get you higher than 50 in the wiki.

Also, that first part seems like good signature material.

This game is done with hexes, right?

Edit: Is my sheet okay now?

Also, Adam?

Mechanically everything is fine. I think those attribute scores will get you into a lot of trouble, but there's nothing illegal with them. I added a snip to the wiki in case the original statement was unclear.

The combat sections are played on hexes, everything else is freeform.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

On a less silly note, have you decided on where to go with your character, Irony?
Speech/Hammer/Arbitomancy seems like a good route, but I've been too distracted with other things to nail down the details.

Inner Void sounds like the best Cadet skill for Hammers, though Inner Rage might be more fitting. Will definitely want to stick to Voice of Command and Riot for Speaker specs, and probably the power boost Arbitomancy one (the latter two are both listed as Operant intent).

Will probably boost or maintain Str and boost Grace, to get that elegant force of nature thing going. I'll have to check on whether he needs any other stats mechanically, but thematically he'll probably just want a bit of Wisdom and fairly barebones everything else. 30 Str/Grc, 10 Wis/Bri/Spd/Fin isn't terribly unlikely, though I might dip Grace and Finesse lower and boost Str a bit higher.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, my character is supposed to be nowhere near combat (or if he is, he should be in a mech that doesn't use his terrible combat stats). Should we add derived stats to our character sheets?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:50:52 pm by ATHATH »
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just realized that I have insane focus regeneration (11 per turn, out of a maximum focus of 25). That means that if I had chosen Unflinching Focus, I could use it every turn and still have a net gain of focus. If it stacks, I can reduce the focus cost of all of my Avernomantic spells by 100% (or by 67%, depending on the GM's ruling), all day, everyday. I may change my ability to Unflinching Focus depending on the GM's ruling on this.

If abilities don't stack, I can still use Waking Trance to be able to indefinitely hold an extra three lampades. Even without using any abilities, I can still pump out a construct every (at most (provided I avoid the (only) 21.25% failure chance)) 3 turns. I think that's a fair trade off, considering that I gimped my physical stats in order to achieve this. I think Bay Twelve will appreciate the lower cool down time for Nimvedih's spells more than fine motor control, the ability to do any strenuous physical activity, and the ability to break out of mind-control.

Can I use abilities while sleeping?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 12:02:44 am by ATHATH »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, first. Focus regenerates when you take an action specifically to focus, not every round. Second, no, abilities don't stack unless they specifically state otherwise. You can get a 20% reduction, not anything higher, by spamming that one skill.

Also, no. You cannot use abilities while sleeping unless you're in a special situation which I have not foreseen.

You are aware that you may still need to do checks for things outside of combat that require something other than wisdom and brilliance?

Yeah, my character is supposed to be nowhere near combat (or if he is, he should be in a mech that doesn't use his terrible combat stats). Should we add derived stats to our character sheets?

No, I'll run the derived stat calculations.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Hmmm... I already put all that work into making it easier for you by putting it into my sheet and now you tell me not to? :P
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

May 27, 2015.
In which I did not catch up with anyone or anything here (pairing up with someone is totally ok .-.) and just decided to create sheets...
I'm just very confused with the skill allocation (like Should one go through Cadet Training to go towards the next tier...?)

...Also is it possible to own a MOUNT to use with polearms? That has been poking me hard ever since I had the idea of a Captain...with a spear.
Spoiler: Captain Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Merc Sheet (click to show/hide)
...I think I may have messed up somewhere >_>
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 04:13:17 am by Tiruin »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

Each successive skill in a path (for example, Lumomancy) is in fact not a separate skill but an additional level to the skill. These are the ranks. So you couldn't, for example, have the first level of skill in five different skill paths scattered among all the groups, and you also couldn't have the first level skill in all three magic paths.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 08:14:52 am by Powder Miner »

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Screw it, I'm writing a character. I finished the wiki, and this setting is the best.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Is the custom staff okay? Staves matched my stats pretty well, and I saw a way to make one work without being a Lumomancer.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 10:00:40 pm by The Ensorceler »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Screw it, I'm writing a character. I finished the wiki, and this setting is the best.

-sheet to go here-

Awesome! I always look forward to seeing new sheets.

Each successive skill in a path (for example, Lumomancy) is in fact not a separate skill but an additional level to the skill. These are the ranks. So you couldn't, for example, have the first level of skill in five different skill paths scattered among all the groups, and you also couldn't have the first level skill in all three magic paths.

This is 100% correct.

Quote from: Tiruin
...Also is it possible to own a MOUNT to use with polearms? That has been poking me hard ever since I had the idea of a Captain...with a spear.

Yes. Mounts are expensive, but you can. I'd say a riding trained (not combat trained) chattel with standard tack would run about 125, more for barding. A mount would give you an extra suite of special abilities in combat. Hardier mounts, mechanical mounts, or mounts with better training will run more.

Hmmm... I already put all that work into making it easier for you by putting it into my sheet and now you tell me not to? :P

Yeah, sorry. I'm going to run all those equations when I write your crib notes, so I figured it was easier to just not require it.

As for your sheets, they look good in general. I'll give them a harder eye when I'm not just on lunch.

For your misc. items where there's some ambiguity, give me a little bit of a brief description of what they are. What kind of things does a medical satchel contain? Magical? Mundane? Mechanical? Is the medical vest just a PPE of many pockets, or is it more than that?

Same thing with the captain sheet. What kind of transport?  Is it transport for just your gear, transport for a few people, transport for your entire party and spares? Is it clockwork, is it a wagon pulled by a Kryosine? That kind of thing.

As for the illuminator's recorder... That's difficult, and it probably wouldn't have illuminator attached to the front. Illuminators work with light, and all of the funny things that it can do with avernomantically programmed crystals. Audible sound is really difficult to work with. Crystals only vibrate then they're unstable, and an audio-recorder made using them would be about as terrifying as an MP3 player powered by a cobalt-60 battery. Floating is likewise difficult to achieve with light. You can (sort of) do it with ablative thrust, but that's typically more spectacular and shorter lived.

Essentially, something that records audio would require a chunk of arbitomancy to make, as would creating something that is naive to gravity. The crystal simulacrum is able to receive and reproduce audio thanks to the fact that it is made from all three forms of magic.

Gah, out of time. Will address more specific concerns when I get off work.
---

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

Cobalt-50? Are you sure it wouldn't be more akin to Yttrium-60?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Is the custom staff okay? Staves matched my stats pretty well, and I saw a way to make one work without being a Lumomancer.
OI! Artificery is my niche! My character is entirely devoted to that concept. If we both join, we'll be constantly jostling for superiority, and if you win, my character is just an insane guy who can't do anything. One of us is not going to be accepted, and I'd prefer that it would not be me.

Yes, Draignean, I'm aware that Brilliance and Wisdom aren't going to be used for every check. That's what friends are for.

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It wouldn't float, but wouldn't you be able to make something between a record player and music box to play back sound, probably with a wipe function on the record? You might even be able to make a crystal needle carve grooves into the record to make it record. Then something like the Speaker's Wire would serve to amplify the sound without a cumbersome horn.

Rivalries are fun! And we'd be able to improve on eachother's designs, and so forth. With the way the waitlist works, it would probably be a good idea to have a spare artificer on hand, anyways.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It wouldn't float, but wouldn't you be able to make something between a record player and music box to play back sound, probably with a wipe function on the record? You might even be able to make a crystal needle carve grooves into the record to make it record. Then something like the Speaker's Wire would serve to amplify the sound without a cumbersome horn.

You can make an object that can record sound, such things exist, but the aren't primarily, crystal. Arbitomancy combined with lesser tech does a good job. Arbitomancy twined up with a bit of lumomancy and avernomancy does even better. Say a bit of wire that has been arbitomantically charged to vibrate at certain frequencies when struck by certain colors, or even patterns, of light pulses. If the process is reversible, so that you have a second arbitomantic device that glows in the presence of sound, you can make a read-write system out of greater tech. However, point being that an audio recording/playback device isn't primarily a piece of illuminator's craft.

Yes, Draignean, I'm aware that Brilliance and Wisdom aren't going to be used for every check. That's what friends are for.

I feel like Abe in Looper, but alright.

Cobalt-50? Are you sure it wouldn't be more akin to Yttrium-60?

I'm pretty sure you can actually make a Yttrium battery, no idea if cobalt works. I chose cobalt-60 because it's the one I know having horror stories associated with wetware induced containment failures, not because it would realistically work as a battery. Thankfully, I do not have experience with a large number of radiation sources.

Problem with the way staves work is that they're accounting for the attributes needed to channel phari energy, not to aim and fire a pre-generated bolt. There are weapons like the one you're suggesting, but they go in the broad category of rifle. I won't give you that weapon at start, mainly because I don't want to create custom weapons all willy-nilly before play begins, but I will let you have a bundle of all the raw ingredients, plus a schematic for how you've already planned to build it, for 100. You'll still need to find a lumomancer so you can copy their heat ray spell, but the rest is entirely feasible.

Just from the current skill progression and character description, I'm assuming you're going for the Dark Messiah build. Nice pick.

Starting armor should not really have free specials, even being heavy. (Honestly, that's something I'm just going to assume about the armor.) Spoon got his because it costs additional upkeep and additional initial cost.

Fine tools with soldering kit, 60 C.

The bio... Short, to the point, but a question: You're a year old, where did you get the money to buy things? You have a loan? A gift from a drogue friend? More importantly, how have you learned the science and mathematics necessary for your craft in such a short time? Drogue are born knowing where they belong within their society, they gain language skills insanely quickly, and they know pretty much everything they need to know about their culture from minute one, but they don't automatically possess any innate skills. A newborn Drogue may know that he is to build, and he can probably convey that he wants to be a city architect sentiment within a week, and he'll master the Drogue language in a month, but he still has to study to actually become an architect. Same thing with languages that are not native drogue.

...I think I may have messed up somewhere >_>

Looking over mechanics....

Joanie:
Assuming your crew dossiers are in paper/vellum/not crystal, I'll give you prices of,

(5) 1x Crew Dossier Depository
(10) 1x Robust Satchel
(5) 2x Iron Rations
(5) 1x Philosophical Tome

For that basic stuff. The more complex pieces of equipment, hmm. The goggles could be done with lumomancy, the noise regulating helmet... What kind of noise regulation are we talking? On the scale between helmet with earplugs taped on, and premier noise cancellation helmet with manual control and selective dampening, where does it fall?

I'll price you 35 C for the goggles. Just bear in mind that they might explode if you look at something REALLY bright, and they'll still decrease your vision somewhat when active.

Thermite... 50C per handful. Expensive, but processing aluminum is silly hard without electricity. The compound is undoubtedly rare and most people probably wouldn't know what thermite even was. I'm not even going to ask what you want THAT for.

Amelia
rank == tier, so I think Powder cleared that one up.

From the items you have currently, it looks like you only have 60 C left to spend.
For some misc items costs,
(10) Bedroll
(5) 2x Iron Rations

I'm not sure what you mean by a manual autoscribe, sans magic. Magic is pretty key to the distance writing concept, at least pre-electronics. I'm not sure what you mean on that front.

Bios and descriptions appear fine in both cases. Just be aware than any brief 'flash' of the future you happen to receive may not actually reflect what's going to happen.
---
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15