Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122167 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1095 on: January 23, 2010, 12:06:14 pm »

They always name some of the resident critters after a number of years. Some critters never seem to get named for some reason though such as troglodytes.

Waffle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: January 23, 2010, 12:19:24 pm »

Began my magma-submerged building.

Had a bit too many puppies, foals and calfs. Like any good servant of Armok I put them all in a cage and sank the cage into the middle of the mag-pipe.
.... I caught a snatcher with a child once that way.  Bloody odd having a cage with a thing holding a small cage inside, with a child inside that.
Yo, we heard you liked captives.  So we put a cage in your cage, so you can capture while you're capturing!

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 23, 2010, 02:49:34 pm »

just gave my trash storage a nice skylight with these messages:
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 23, 2010, 05:13:31 pm »

Now going into year 23 of my fort and all 46 of my dwarves are still bunking together in a tiny 7x7 square that I initially dug out, good news is the designs for my kitchen area have finally been finished, and as soon as the bedroom furniture is done everyone will be able to start living in the fort proper. My breeding pair of grizzlies and cougars are finally churning out little ones, and my wolf population is reaching levels useful in sieges. Alligators have yet to mate for whatever reason. Hoping the elves bring me something a little more exotic soon.

The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 23, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »

Soooo close to a magma moat, but when I finally link up the last gear assemblies, There isn't enough power to pump the magma. :D

EDIT: Fuck. My marksdwarf gave birth and her baby fell into the magma moat. Luckily it isn't filled yet, BUT ITS A MATTER OF TIME! D:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:01:23 pm by Jack_Bread »

AshrothTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: January 24, 2010, 08:29:23 am »

I've just finished digging a tunnel between my magma pipe and underground river, plugging the river up. The reason for this being the fact that my underground tree farm wasn't getting enough water pressure to fill my cistern. The bad news about this; a skeletal cave crocodile managed to climb through a tiny hole when my magma tunnel was plugged, and I'm gonna get some serious flooding if he takes out some floodgates.

Other than that, the Queen and the dungeon master came.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 24, 2010, 09:22:11 am »

My 0-point embark is going interesting...

One of my dwarves got injured hunting and after a while went mad (probably from being unhappy with no beds, no booze and such). This triggered two other dwarves to go insane just as the carvan dropped off an axe and pick for me. I hope I can produce some alcohol now to prevent any others from going insane. At least I finished my barracks.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 24, 2010, 01:03:41 pm »

My mayor has a thing for rings. He mandated their construction twice and in the middle of meeting with the Human Guild Representative, he became possessed and made an artifact ring.

(The diplomat left unhappy. :)
Diplomat: "Now that I know what to bring your dwarves next year, let's discuss-"
*Urist McMayor shakes violently*
Urist: Govos Asdug... Govos Asdug...
Diplomat: "How dare you let a spirit possess you in the middle of our meeting!
)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 24, 2010, 01:45:39 pm »

The building of my noble-tower has begun. It'll be a completely glass block construction. It will house all nobles, obviously, and is actually quite a distance away from the main fort. Here's how it will look. (Spoilered for huge teletype)

Every wall can become a window. Except for the walls on the lowest level. I do not wish to loose blocks. Also, this is the basic layout. Walls can be built at will to make differently sized rooms. The rooms from the furthest from the entrance to the closest will become: tomb, bedroom, dining room, office. All furniture will be steel masterpieces. The king/queen and his/her consort will have half a floor to themselves for every room. The higher they are resided, the more power they wield.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, all of this is constructed, suspended over the ocean. In a freezing biome. A good biome, which is in contrast to the evil biome which the land is in. Also, it requires a damn big load of blocks. I had three glassmakers working non-stop and now, just actually beginning on the first floor, the blocks are almost al gone. I've made an extra five glassmakers, hoping they can help ease the work pressure. Also, I've relocated the sand collecting jobs to normal, non-magma glass furnaces. Also nine, to be exact. Also also, I've got 8 unused underground z-levels. Ideas are welcome. And I would also like some prison layouts. Preferably one which utilizes chains.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:06:52 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 24, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »

The building of my noble-tower has begun. It'll be a completely glass block construction. It will house all nobles, obviously, and is actually quite a distance away from the main fort. Here's how it will look. (Spoilered for huge teletype)

Every wall can become a window. Except for the walls on the lowest level. I do not wish to loose blocks. Also, this is the basic layout. Walls can be built at will to make differently sized rooms. The rooms from the furthest from the entrance to the closest will become: tomb, bedroom, dining room, office. All furniture will be steel masterpieces. The king/queen and his/her consort will have half a floor to themselves for every room. The higher they are resided, the more power they wield.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, all of this is constructed, suspended over the ocean. In a freezing biome. A good biome, which is in contrast to the evil biome which the land is in. Also, it requires a damn big load of blocks. I had three glassmakers working non-stop and now, just actually beginning on the first floor, the blocks are almost al gone. I've made an extra five glassmakers, hoping they can help ease the work pressure. Also, I've relocated the sand collecting jobs to normal, non-magma glass furnaces. Also nine, to be exact. Also also, I've got 8 unused underground z-levels. Ideas are welcome. And I would also like some prison layouts. Preferably one which utilizes chains.

I generally build my prisons with obsidian/iron/steel walls and floors with gold chains and 2 masterwork statues near each chain along with 1 bed, booze item and food item in range of the chain.  My prisons normally let people out happier than they were when they get put in (if they weren't max happiness to begin with).  I might try to put a waterfall in the next one.  I don't have walls and individual cells, i like my prisoners to be able to look out at each other and I'm not sure if they will, but hopefully neighbors do some socializing.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 24, 2010, 04:09:13 pm »

Waiting for my new migrant wave to finish quantum-dumping all the stone I've got from digging everything out.
Then on to MAGMA!

Also:
Skeletal Mountain Goats.
SKELETAL. MOUNTAIN. GOATS.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 24, 2010, 09:38:26 pm »

The obsidian tower is going faster. Now that most of my haulers are either legendary pump operators or legendary masons (sometimes both) the cast->mine->block->haul->build cycle is very fast. Haulers who struggled for weeks with a chunk of platinum ore now carry heavy oak bins of obsidian blocks at almost full speed. Dwarves are almost all perfectly agile or better. The royal levels were completed in record time, which is good because hopefully I'll be upgraded to duchy soon and then next caravan I'll finish the requirements. After the elves come and see my huge stockpile of logs (most of which I bought from them and the humans) they'll start sieging soon. The EEEP is about half wired up, which should be more than good enough to take care of their initial sieges. I need to chain up a few warning animals and then it will be ready for giving the elves tree enemas.

I'm about to create the warmed layer. The hardest part will be getting enough magma high enough to flood the floor. Then to create a meeting zone or statue garden in 2/7-4/7 water over the warmed tiles. Should be fun, and a good practice for my next challenge - casting an obsidian tower.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 24, 2010, 10:28:34 pm »

currently have two fortresses going.
In my 2D fortress (re-reading boatmurdered when I should have been doing chem homework inspired me to play another 2D fort) I dug out my noble's rooms, some of them are entered from outside the cavern, I also dug out some rooms along the cave river's edge, they tend to flood, but they're nice and when the nobles start whining about windows (which some surely will) they can have a view of something other than the rock walls. near the chasm's edge I put some metalworker's bedrooms, dining halls, food stockpiles, etc, so they don't have to wander too far from the magma (now that I Finally found iron - I saw 3 exposed veins on the far side of the magma flow before  I found one I could get too).

in my 3D fortress, I just embarked, and am rushing to get dug in, because there are about a dozen chasm creatures slowly walking and flying to my front gate, and my only defences are 2 miners. not much else going on yet, though if I can't get everything inside and behind some doors soon, Fun will probably be had by my 7 pioneers (and maybe the caravan).

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: January 25, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »

I actually have, and I can't believe it actually happened, a useful noble.  Besides the Dungeon Master.

My king arrived with a Queen Consort.  The Queen has the color coding of a peasant, though is permanently 'lit up' as if legendary in something.  I can't change her labor preferences, but she is quite happy to run around performing my hauling tasks, dumping my excess stone with the rest of the daylaborers.  I got a free pair of hands, this pleases me.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: January 25, 2010, 05:30:06 pm »

M. R. Siegal: That deserves a bug report. I've never heard of it happening before.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 3842