Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122421 times)

H. Monkey

• Bay Watcher
  • More gorilla than monkey, actually
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1065 on: January 21, 2010, 03:23:25 am »

Four of seven dwarves get killed before the fire imp goes down. #5 grows so sad he wanders around aimlessly and, just before dying of thirst, throws himself into a pond and drowns. The lone Kogan takes on all the duties herself while her only remaining friend remains crippled in bed. She inters the bodies, patches the hole the imp squeezed in through, cares for the other survivor, and keeps them both fed.

She anoints Fikod, her unconscious friend, the expedition leader...

...and then promptly waits bedside doing nothing else so that the instant Fikod wakes up she can cry to the new leader about how all of her other friends have died and she's had to do everything herself.

Certainly all that is left is for Fikod to die of thirst or hunger before Kogan can complain, leading Kogan to tantrum and starve herself and that's the end of that, right? But watching Kogan finally give up at the last moment, get pissed that she couldn't complain to anyone, and then do the necessary was kinda a let down. Losing is fun.

Kogan is now the mayor because she did the trading while Fikod was injured. Have given all the other Fikods who have migrated nicknames to keep them straight: "Fikod the Clear", "Fikod the Uninjured", "Fikod the Able-Limbed". Am refusing to nickname the original Fikod, who recovered years ago, before all the other Fikods arrived.

Oh, also a butcher has arrived. She likes to eat cat. I love it when a plan comes together.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: January 21, 2010, 05:34:05 am »

Sigh, another dwarf liaison with a missing left ankle.

If this wasn't just a cheating fort for me to make some masterwork adamantine equipment for some adventuring fun (no sense starting a real fort this close to the new version, right?), I might actually be annoyed. As it is, I can capture him and get an amputee stripper for my dwarves' amusement.

Magick

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_LEARN] [MAGICAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 21, 2010, 11:18:54 am »

I just had the weirdest thing happen.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This dog must've been a freak of nature to have that many puppies at once.
Oh, i was using that slavery thing from the modding section. Might've done it.
"Alright, I'll trade you these mugs, and you'll give me those -Oh. Here. Just take this. WAIT. I DID NOT MEAN TO GIVE YOU THOSE."
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/9079/1278257725299.jpg

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 21, 2010, 11:28:14 am »

And knowing DF, they were all born on the exact same time. Imagine how the bitch must've felt. Also, check the raws of dogs for [LITTERSIZE]. It'll probably be some insanely high numbers like 30:50 or something.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: January 21, 2010, 12:29:14 pm »

THE CAT.

IS ON A BREAK.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 21, 2010, 12:33:40 pm »

You certainly have a funky, abusive mod there.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Luna

• Bay Watcher
  • [AMPHIBIOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 21, 2010, 01:59:05 pm »

Just started a new fort on a mountain next to a terrifying swamp. A harpy got into the fort and killed half my dwarves before my miner put a pick through her head.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 21, 2010, 02:47:24 pm »

Well, after having invasions off for a bit (I was doing something and didn't want to be interrupted by invasions) I got a siege. It was a typical siege with a few elven guards since the two elven local leaders had been killed years ago. After I had killed the first two squads, I wondered where the heck the third one was. Turns out the elf leading that squad is missing a leg and the rest of the squad abandoned the guy.

My champions are already en-route to deal with him.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:49:33 pm by smjjames »

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: January 21, 2010, 06:17:46 pm »

The first Autumn, the caravan comes. After trading stuff, my admin and the liaison converse.
After a looooong talk, I finally get the trade agreements from the mountain homes.
What they really, really want(it's the only thing ticked to yellow!) is BLOCKS.
:D They want BLOCKS! ;D

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1074 on: January 21, 2010, 07:48:55 pm »

I come bearing stories of liquid-related fun.  ;D

I have a very large drowning chamber between my Trade Depot and the outdoors.  It's been very effective so far: last siege I caught a full squad of Goblin Hammermen and a Hammer Lord in it.  However, it fills kind of slowly, probably because it just leeches its water off of the drainage channel for my dining-room waterfall.  All of my water comes from an aquifer that is very conveniently placed in the cliff right above my fortress.  So I decided to dig the flood chamber its own feed from one of my main lines to the aquifer.

Did that, and was channelling through the last bit to let the water in (inconveniently right in front of the dining hall), when I forgot to account for PRESSURE (I've heard that one before).  So water starts gushing out of the floor right in front of my main dining hall.

Freaking out, I designate a floor over it and seal the dining hall and immediately order exits dug from it.  Once the miners are out, I start them digging drains in all the hallways to prevent them from filling 7/7 and order them to crack the other end of the flood chamber feed to hopefully reduce the flow.

After they've done all this, the flow mysteriously stops.  Apparently some heroic mason actually finished the floor I'd designated.  Yay!

Except now I've got a huge gush of water flowing out of the fortress and down a cliff, killing about 10-15 FPS.  Great.

This story is getting pretty long, but basically I built a massive aerial channel from some magma ducts I'd made earlier for no real reason, and dumped a bunch of magma over the hole, sealing it.

But what happens now?  Apparently there was a HOLE in the ground above the opening!  So the water CONTINUES to gush out of this new hole and down the cliff.

Also, my Countess has been prohibiting the export of Bins for several years now...I might arrange to let her have some Fun.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 21, 2010, 09:17:41 pm »

So, my jeweler goes to load a cage trap and runs afoul of a skeletal musk ox. Fun ensues.

---

Shortly afterwards, a new wave of immigrants shows up. Before she even gets to the meeting area, the blacksmith gets a fey mood. Some good fortune at last!

"I need metal bars!"

Shit. I was just about to set up my magma forge, so I was stockpiling coke to build myself a steel anvil and hadn't begun forging bars for commercial purposes. Well, I had some native aluminum kicking around, so I start there.

"I need more bars, dammit!"

Maybe I'll get my anvil a bit quicker than I thought. Okay, more aluminum bars then.

"More bars, assholes!"

Looking good... until...

It could have been worse... Artifact furniture with a high material value is always good. I just wish she had considered using and of the 30 or so cut gems just outside of the workshop.

Curious about the whole jaguar imagery (there are none in the immediate area), I checked the smith's profile:

Some things that struck me...
  • Those gems I mentioned? Plenty of grey chalcedony was available and nearby.
  • No mentions of jaguars.
  • That floodgate she admired? She installed it as part of the magma forge construction. And she had plenty of time to admire it, because she walled herself in with it. I left her there while my mechanics took the time to hook it up to a lever.
  • "Stagshil Boatmoistened the Submerged Blueness" is an awesome deity name.
  • "Thob Lancepolished", eh? You filthy girl!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:20:39 pm by caknuck »
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1076 on: January 21, 2010, 10:19:22 pm »

Wouldn't you know it, while I was dismantling the obsidian mold I used to plug the hole into the highly pressurized water feed (at the VERY END of the dismantling mind you), a single square of flooring collapsed and punched straight through the *expletive* middle of the roof.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Note to self: put mechanism-operated doors in EVERY water feed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:21:24 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: January 21, 2010, 11:38:36 pm »

Working on my first real megaconstruction, second if you count its much smaller predecessor; a giant glass pyramid, 15 blocks on a side, decorated with masterwork glass statues at the top. Finally, the heroes of my fortress will have a suitably epic resting place.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: January 22, 2010, 12:32:54 am »

The 31x31 obsidian tower is coming along fairly well. The EEEP (excellent elf execution path) is coming along, though I decided to use clear glass spikes in addition to wood. Since I import lye, potash, and pearlash this helps slightly while remaining true to the room's intention - to kill the elves with wood based products. The outside of my fortress looks like a third world country - battle refuse everywhere and no trees from too much clearcutting. I'm not too worried about it though, they grow well enough and all three (soon to be two) races see my empty wood stockpiles and bring me dozens of logs. I'm beginning to think that the amount of wood you have doesn't matter, it's the number of empty spaces you have in your wood stockpiles. Still need to do some tests, but even when my stockpiles are half full (meaning 50+ logs) when the arrive, they still bring tons of logs while forts with very small wood stockpiles almost never got wood imports.

I have a little fleet of child laborers. Every time I designate floors for deconstruction dozens of dwarf children rush to do their jobs. Between my founders being idle so much, my countess, and my married champions I have a small dwarfsplosion on my hands. Hopefully that will upgrade my countess to duchess so I can get the queen, I'll need to start preparing her room soon. I think I'll decorate in Mithril, seems fitting for a noble of her stature... and it will help increase it's value since her room will be in the tower and thus have no engraved walls.

Dwarves are now wearing through their third sets of clothing, but thanks to the apartment complex in my tower there's very little dwarf clutter. I am starting to see dwarves wearing my GCS silk clothing, which is irritating, but most of them are just wearing basic 400-800 dwarfbuck pig tail or hemp clothing. It's kind of nice at this point, when everything in the fortress is basically a routine - run the obsidian farm, designate tower building, watch the booze (good god those dwarves go through booze fast), obliterate the occasional siege, perfect a room's feng shui, your basic fortress. The place actually feels like an outpost or castle, very comfortable.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: January 22, 2010, 12:35:10 am »

I just found a magma pipe and a magma pool right next to each other. As in,
a few tiles away from each other. They're also chock full of firemen and fire imps. The cage traps above should be enough to get them. I've got 3 already, I just need to lure the rest into them.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 3842