Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122761 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1020 on: January 18, 2010, 07:09:11 pm »

Started a hermit fort near a volcano. I walled all the other dwarves in and made them carve their own tombs while I did the work outside with the last one. He got a pretty good situation going at the lip of the volcano...

Until all the others started dying. :O He tantrum'd and gave the horse chained outside his house brain damage. He proceeded work like normal, only miserable, until, finally, he destroyed the horse's rope and tossed it into the magma. Then he went inside and became insane. Now he's just chillin' at the volcano's lip 'til he starves to death. :\

UPDATE: He jumped into the volcano!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:11:43 pm by Jack_Bread »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 18, 2010, 07:40:15 pm »

Caught me a zombie GCS. Sucker is never gonna die of old age! Now to feed it migrants until it's got a badass name.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 18, 2010, 08:53:24 pm »

My expidition leader just got doused in magma fighting fire imps, now I only have one miner.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: January 19, 2010, 12:24:00 am »

Caught me a zombie GCS. Sucker is never gonna die of old age! Now to feed it migrants until it's got a badass name.

Dayum. If zombie GCS produce silk, combine that with a small animal breeding program (say puppies) or drop dwarves/goblins far enough to cripple but not kill them and you have an infinite/eternal GCS silk farm.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: January 19, 2010, 02:22:38 am »

Okay, these elves deserve some kind of medal for persistence.
After killing the diplomat, offering them wooden products and burning their last 2 caravans to death, they STILL sent a caravan this year!
At least I get to try my magmaduct :)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: January 19, 2010, 08:11:30 am »

Dayum. If zombie GCS produce silk, combine that with a small animal breeding program (say puppies) or drop dwarves/goblins far enough to cripple but not kill them and you have an infinite/eternal GCS silk farm.

They most certainly do, although the things move so slow I can't feed it anything with a chance of fighting back. I could probably set up a pretty standard silk farm, but it's in a community fort and I want to do something a little more unique and interesting with it. Dunno what yet. For now, it's giving the evil eye to its animal stockpile cellmate, a zombie fire imp.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:19 am »

Got a 2 year fort going. Only thing happening so far is my legendary engraver engraving lots of pictures of himself engraving masterpieces and my mayor/sheriff hugging cows (he seems to like cows for some reason).
I've missed a lot of migrant waves. Could use some right about now. All my dwarfs are busy non-stop.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: January 19, 2010, 10:58:31 am »

Turned invasions off to get fort going.  Had a few fisherdwarves happily supplying my fort with fish.  Turned invasions back on.  Within one hour of playtime all the fisherdwarves were dead, either from ambushes or being wounded so heavily from ambushes that they went insane.

It's like a death sentence.  Need to figure out a way to make them only fish from my underground river.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: January 19, 2010, 11:34:59 am »

Designate a fishing zone.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: January 19, 2010, 05:15:01 pm »

Okay, this is getting silly now. The humans who I though I was currently at war with have just sent a caravan. Is my crap really valued so highly?
And what did they think was going to happen?
Things are about to get burny again.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: January 19, 2010, 05:19:18 pm »

Out of curiosity, why would one want to repel humans? They've always been good trading partners in my experience...

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: January 19, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »

I'm letting a captured named GCS sit in a corner for all my dwarves to gawk at while they continue construction of the Obsidian Fortress.

Eventually I'll make some overly complicated room full of dozens of useless mechanisms to harvest his sweet, delicious silk.

But until then, he can be the fort's coat rack and teach the children to play cards.

Out of curiosity, why would one want to repel humans? They've always been good trading partners in my experience...
Because some people are followers of Armok and some people are cult followers of whatever beardless god you worship.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:21:10 pm by Lumbajak »

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: January 19, 2010, 05:37:22 pm »

About wild animals and goblins/orcs - I have undead camels running around my fortress (they keep respawning without end and are a major pain to clear out since migrants and caravans can't deal with them effectively) and they tend to kill the lone goblin/orc pretty well but usually get killed by the orcs.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: January 19, 2010, 05:42:12 pm »

Because some people are followers of Armok and some people are cult followers of whatever beardless god you worship.
Ah, I get it. There isn't enough dwarven sacrifice in your megaprojects and you think to make up for it with the clueless humans.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: January 19, 2010, 05:51:28 pm »

But until then, he can be the fort's coat rack and teach the children to play cards.

someone needs to sig this.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 3842