Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123102 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #960 on: January 16, 2010, 05:35:59 am »

My legendary woodcutter was out in the woods, happily chopping down trees, like they were elves. She was merrily singing a happy tune, when suddenly, the sun was blotted out. She looked up and saw the looming figure of Athathi. Her heart started pounding in her chest. She started running and told everyone who was near to go inside as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, a poor animal caretaker who was hauling wood inside ran in the wrong direction. Now Athathi had the choice of two dwarves. The woodcutter yelled to him that she would try and distract Athathi. The animal caretaker, gallant as he is, refused and offered to lure the Blue Dragon in a cage trap. He found the woodcutter too useful to loose. In an attempt to get Athathi's attention, he started jumping around, yelling all sorts of profanities to the Dragon. She diverted her attention and in the meantime, my woodcutter ran like hell. The animal caretaker could see the beginning dome and headed for it in a great arc, hoping to remain out of reach of the Blue Dragon. His small feet were a blur while he sprinted for the entrance. He was inside, he was safe. But Athathi had other plans. Instead of walking in, she decided to fly over the top and descend upon the fort with great vengeance and furious anger. Were it not that she had been caught in a clever counter-Orc trap. A stone-fall trap. The rock hit the great beast in the head. She was killed instantly.

TL;DR: My woodcutter caught Athathi's attention, an animal caretaker was scared shitless. I ordered everyone inside. The woodcutter got inside, the animal caretaker not so much. I restricted the area around him and made the way to the entrance high traffic. He entered the fort, but Athathi flew over the walls, into a stone-fall trap. And she was killed.

Then I savescummed. I lost half of the winter's progress. A corrected mistake in thee entrance to the Igloo, a load of clear glass blocks (I like to pretend that glass blocks are see-through) for Zuko's and Athathi's pens, but I REALLY want those Dragons alive and tamed, so I won't cry.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: January 16, 2010, 10:08:24 am »

What mod are you using?

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: January 16, 2010, 10:11:44 am »

Dig Deeper, with [TRAPAVOID] removed from the orcs.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Drecon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: January 16, 2010, 10:22:22 am »

A major forest fire just broke out on my map. First it killed my hunter, although I told all dwarves to stay inside. When the fire was getting really close to my fort... migrants. or course.

The migrant ran to my fort to try and beat the flames and everyone made it inside, although a second later might have been too late.

The human traders at my depot left a lot of bones behind... does this mean I will get sieged?

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: January 16, 2010, 12:33:51 pm »

The king finally arrived, with his consort, advisor, 4 royal guards, and 2 peasants.  :D
I met all their requirements easily, and the fortress has recovered from the earlier HFS incident.
basically all the work is automated now, just a couple tasks to add to the workshops each season to make up for them producing faster than I can get the resources for them (low on wood cutters and wood burners now, easily fixed once some of the kids grow up though).
So.. this fortress feels complete.. but I don't know how to end it properly.
I have no magma, so firey death is out.
I have a brook. but I don't know how to turn it into a death machine worthy of a mountainhome.
and I already dealt with the HFS.
any suggestions?

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: January 16, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »

The king finally arrived, with his consort, advisor, 4 royal guards, and 2 peasants.  :D
I met all their requirements easily, and the fortress has recovered from the earlier HFS incident.
basically all the work is automated now, just a couple tasks to add to the workshops each season to make up for them producing faster than I can get the resources for them (low on wood cutters and wood burners now, easily fixed once some of the kids grow up though).
So.. this fortress feels complete.. but I don't know how to end it properly.
I have no magma, so firey death is out.
I have a brook. but I don't know how to turn it into a death machine worthy of a mountainhome.
and I already dealt with the HFS.
any suggestions?

You know once you get a king at your for the "Abandon" fort option turns into something else and stays up and running even after you've left. Come back in adventure mode and kill all the populace or something.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: January 16, 2010, 01:30:49 pm »

Mifava Rìfiromini, Mifava Scourfords, has arrived. I can hear all of you wonder in excitement who that is. Well, I'll tell you who it is. It's the Elven diplomat. And to make things worse, he attracted Athathis' attention. I'm now in a hurry to demolish the stone-fall traps and build cage traps instead, hoping Mifava will stay at bay long enough; And if that isn't enough, chances are he'll start whining about my wood supplies. This is why I've set a bowyer (my Legendary founding woodcutter/carpenter got hit by a bolt. I had no idea until I got the message he died. As you can imagine, I was quite put off.) to make cages, bins and barrels while my woodburner is burning wood like there's no tomorrow to supply ashes for my potash maker to make potash for my furnace operators to make pearl ash for my glass maker to make clear glass blocks. But my potash maker has gotten a mood, so the production process has kind of ground to a halt. Let's just hope Mifava can occupy Athathi long enough for my mechanics to demolish the traps and build the others instead.

EDIT:
Mifava failed to serve his only purpose. He even made it worse. His people will suffer because of his error. Athathi is now very close to Zuko, and I don't want two Dragons chasing one dwarf. So I'm going to lure Zuko first (after removing his dragon fire breath. It'll be hard enough as it is.) by designating the trees nearby to be cut. Hopefully, Zuko will go after my woodcutter and hopefully, she will run towards the fort. Then I hope Zuko will not fly over the traps (or maybe I should remove FLYER as well... We'll see.) and if he doesn't, the only entrance is through the cage traps, so he should be caught. Then I'll do the same with Athathi. When I'm luring Athathi in, I'll already be busy taming Zuko. And then... The domes.

EDIT EDIT:
And of course he ran away before Zuko could follow him. And then the elves came. And then the orcs.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:21:42 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: January 16, 2010, 02:31:21 pm »

Kidiri: your blue dragon seriously needs to be renamed to Katara... too bad I'm, not sure if that's even possible.

In the new fort I'm working in, I just finished the first stage of my residential area.  I started my fort on a single biome with a layer of lime stone since I keep reading people talking about how awesome the ore is that can be mined in limestone(as opposed to marble), and that happens to have five layers of soil before the limestone.  My residential wing is in the first z-level of limestone, and I just struck out to the east of my main stair well for a random number of [shift]+[→] presses.  In an odd coincidence, the northeastern most room's northeast corner wall is magnetite...  I call it a coincidence since someone on the last page also just happened to hit magnetite while digging out living quarters.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: January 16, 2010, 03:16:21 pm »

I broke into the top of an underground river and the pressure caused the water to rocket half way up my fort drowning 1/3 of the population plus my King, count, and dungeon master.

ABANDON FORTRESS?: Y [yes] N [no]

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: January 16, 2010, 03:25:06 pm »

Got a new laptop. Dual core with two 2.2Ghz processors, 4 gig of ram, and more hard drive than I can use. Compared to my old single core 1.6 Ghz machine, it's a HUGE step up. Once I port my fortress over, I plan to up the population cap to get the king. Think I'll give him a whole floor of the obsidian tower, or possibly just build him his own mini-tower. Seems only fitting to give the leader of the entire dwarven world a personal palace.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: January 16, 2010, 03:35:28 pm »

I just semi-finished my gnome civ (with custom gnome pics! yay ^^) and am now building a fortress on an island from the islands thread.
It's going to be an ivory white tower, with all the workshops and industry below ground and the top side for the people.
The higher up you live, the richer you are.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: January 16, 2010, 04:00:59 pm »

I'm building a pyramid.  The entire point of my fortress is this pyramid, and I'm going about it in the dwarf wave format.  That is, I expect to have to reclaim it several times before I'm through.  Survival is a minimal concern here.

And when I say building, I mean carving out of the living rock.  With all stone surfaces engraved, and the couple surface dirt layers eventually replaced with some form of lovely metal.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: January 16, 2010, 04:03:09 pm »

Made a Raw Adamantine Scepter artifact, valued at 608400 (asininebastardsymbol).

I am so getting sieged.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: January 16, 2010, 04:21:48 pm »

All right. I'm going to try and catch Zuko. Again. This time, I'll use a drafted peasant. He's on his way to the Dragon and when he's in sight, I'll undraft him, order everybody inside, he'll run to the entrance (maybe with a little bit of help from traffic designations) and Zuko will follow. Then Zuko will get caught in on of the traps and my Dungeon Master can come in and tame him. And then, I'll do the same with Athathis. This should work. In theory. Wish me luck.

Of course, in theory, communism works. As suspected the plan went with a hitch. Firstly UristMcStupid ran in the wrong direction After a while he actually went right. Secondly, he had a head start, but decided he wanted to go and enjoy the scenery. And which scenery would that be? Yes, the one next to Zuko. It goes without saying that he got mauled. So now I've lost a season's progress due to my savescum. "But Kidiri," I hear you ask, "why not let it be? Why don't you send in another peasant to lure Zuko?" Well, dear Bay12 fora, because I want those two Dragons tame. Not the pseudo tame you get when they've already tasted that sweet, slightly alcoholic Dwarven blood. I mean real tame.

Also: Loyal, the asininebastardsymbol is [alt]+15.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: January 16, 2010, 06:05:23 pm »

"Some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb."

I swear, you drown two lousy nobles (and like half a dozen babies, tops) and the migrants get all uppity.

But pfeh, shows what they know. I haven't built any tombs. Bodies get dumped in the river to be bait for the fisherdwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 3842