Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123582 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #870 on: January 11, 2010, 06:17:09 pm »

My dining room isn't half finished, and already it's so awesome it's apparently causing spontaneous dwarf orgasms when they eat there. Dwarves who's only happy thoughts are "Were satisfied at work lately" and "Ate in a legendary dining room lately" are wandering around ecstatic all the time. The obsidian tower tis fun, shame they can't engrave the constructed obsidian. The barracks floor is done, but still needs a roof. The walls are all fortifications, and I have a metal ammunition stockpile lining the edges. My metalsmith is going full time turning the goblinite and orcinite into iron and steel bolts for the legendary marksdwarves. I may draft a few more of my peasants and train them with the surplus of bone bolts I now have. Should go fast and really decimate sieges.

Above that, I've begun to construct bedrooms. Between zero rent and the constant masonry jobs from processing the obsidian from my farms, most of my dwarves have plenty of money. I may build some shops on the floor I was going to use as my dining room

The elves just came for the third time in six years. First their liaison came and threatened us. I think I'll make sure to burn all my wood before spring, it's not that I'm afraid of the elves, I just don't want to risk war on three fronts. On their own, neither the goblins, orcs, nor elves are even a mild threat, but combined I worry about attrition. Then their caravan came through, bringing good tidings of... 12 bins of cloth, 8 logs, and 2 stacks of five food. I traded them a cloak for all the logs and the food, they can keep their freakin rope reed. If I wanted low quality cloth, I'd let my potash makers weave. Very tempting to build a cave in trap over the trade depot. Very tempting.

The forest isn't growing back as fast as I'd hoped. I'm going through pearlash pretty fast now, and my woodcutters can't keep up. Getting fun.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:24 pm »

Spears don't have a higher critical chance. They have a different kind of critical. Swords actually have a higher chance, and their critical is severing. Dealing with the mess is part of it; if you don't want to then you should use an impact weapon. Hammers are inferior to maces due to weight. Spears will stick, rendering your spearmasters into wrestlers (which is why I said it is necessary to train your spearmasters in wrestling, though of course you ideally train all military dwarves in wrestling). All of this will change, but at the moment swords are by far the most effective weapons there are. Nothing else even comes close. A sword will stick, but only *extremely* rarely, to the point that I've run a fort for 10 years now with champion swordmasters and orc/goblin sieges, with only two swords dropped.

Speaking normatively, swords shouldn't be as effective against tentacle demons as other weapons. But speaking factually, they are much MORE effective, against tentacle demons and everything else in the game. It's just what we have to work with right now. The system will change.

I would like to back up your statement, but when my hammer dwarfs are regularly punting gobbos in to walls hard enough for them to explode in a shower of gore and body parts, they just don't seem to be that clean of weapons...

Given the new combat in the next version Toady is working on, the hammer should become more powerful than the mace as the weight begins to be calculated in to the damage, though.

Man, I haven't cracked open a fortress in a while, the last thing I did was start a fort in a chalk wall on one side of a valley cut by a stream... it's got chalk walls to form a courtyard, but the only thing I've had to harass me so far were some macaques that were quite tasty.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 11, 2010, 06:39:54 pm »

I wonder if maces will have some type of area calculation? They should hit with less force but do more precise damage, and they should hit more often because they are lighter. They should also be more difficult to block or dodge and easier to parry than hammers.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 11, 2010, 07:27:07 pm »

Just got ambushed by some Goblins. Three untrained but very buff wrestlers held them off long enough for the army to rock up and slaughter them.

Of course, one Goblin blundered into a weapon trap and proceeded to get their throat torn out.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 11, 2010, 10:42:59 pm »

It's nearly summer, and they're still being put in the cage. One by one, and the dogs are all following the dungeonmaster who trained them.
I will think VERY hard before ever pulling that lever again.

I have decided to melt down all the copper junk I trained the weaponsmith/armoursmith on. It's more trouble than it's worth, currently. All the military grab copper gear and weapons and it has to be forbidden for them to pick up steel.

I'm also equipping the military with adamantine shields.

I also found the underground river. I'm fishing it out, and maybe diverting it into hell.

The accumulated goblin clothing is being thrown into the magma.

More migrants mean more recruits!
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 11, 2010, 10:43:54 pm »

The one with the extremely disturbing avatar has spoken.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 11, 2010, 10:48:01 pm »

Who, me?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 11, 2010, 11:22:03 pm »

I thought that was Doomshifter.

Anyway. A hammerdwarf from the fall caravan has been chasing a single rabbit around the map, while two woodworkers are chasing him so they can swipe his steel gear. This has been going on for the past two months and I am getting some serious Benny Hill vibes here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 11, 2010, 11:42:37 pm »

Who, me?

Yeah, you. I'm a little drnk.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 11, 2010, 11:50:30 pm »

Just lost another hammerdwarf to orc bowmen. My barracks level worked pretty well, though running off a siege is pricey. It's a lot of bolts, and now I have to either melt them down or let my dwarves gather the spent ammo. Urgh. I drafted four haulers to start practicing, but they're still novices, the legendary marksdwarves did significant damage though. After that, my laptop went into a crisis (the charge connection is damaged, sometimes it shorts and I have to wrestle with it for a while) so the siege is still going.

The obsidian farm is producing record amounts of stone, and between the increased stockpile size and more bins (the forest is getting further and further away) I've been able to do more runs before I have to move them up and start building. From all the reports I've heard about obsidian farms, it's actually been both easy and safe, very undwarfy. Building the tower, however, has not been, so it's all good in the end.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 12, 2010, 12:19:19 am »

Obsidian farming is perfectly safe as long as nobody's in there when it goes on.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 12, 2010, 02:44:27 am »

I now own three tame Giant Eagles.

Can't believe the High Elves traded them to me at 1500 each.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 12, 2010, 02:56:47 am »

Trying to get my first King, which will announce the end of Wallstoke.

One thing though... building roads takes AGES!! Seriously, I have exceeded the contruction and gifts by around 10 times (I thought it was 50K db, not 5K db gift), but I have only recently broken the 500 db level of the roads (10% of the requirement). By... a smooth metallic rose gold road >.>

This will take some time. At least I have the Kings gear all built up!!

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 12, 2010, 03:20:39 am »

I now own three tame Giant Eagles.

Can't believe the High Elves traded them to me at 1500 each.

Very nice :) Almost hiting the 80 population mark. Waiting for the first serious goblin visit.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 12, 2010, 03:43:18 am »

Trying to get my first King, which will announce the end of Wallstoke.

One thing though... building roads takes AGES!! Seriously, I have exceeded the contruction and gifts by around 10 times (I thought it was 50K db, not 5K db gift), but I have only recently broken the 500 db level of the roads (10% of the requirement). By... a smooth metallic rose gold road >.>

This will take some time. At least I have the Kings gear all built up!!

You should use bridges instead of roads. They build much faster and count for the same category.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 3842