Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123541 times)

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #855 on: January 11, 2010, 03:27:06 am »

Hah bow and arrow is the way to go...I have no proof to back that up what so ever but bow is better...
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 11, 2010, 04:13:50 am »

CrestWhipped is now 15 years old.
I've breached HFS and killed all of the clowns.
I have an army of 40 odd dwarves, 26 of which are legendary champions. My primary champion has over 150 kills, amongst which is a dragon (I've had 4 megabeasts in total; 3 dragons and a skeletal titan).
Most of the champions have at least one piece of masterwork adamantine armour or weaponry, with my best champions being fully decked out in the stuff.
My favourite worker dwarf did all of the strand extraction herself, so is a legendary 15+3 extractor.
And the goblins keep coming, which has resulted in successful mining of goblinite, to the extent that all of my champions reside in quarters decked out with masterwork iron furniture. They even have dedicated catacombs with masterwork iron sarcophogi.

More interestingly however, early in the year, some audacious kobold thieves somehow managed to get past my heavily guarded fortress entrance and made off with a masterwork adamantine buckler and a set of masterwork adamantine plate. I had no idea that it wasn't being worn. I'm also seriously impressed they managed to get through, seeing as how my fortress entrance also houses my barracks, and so sees a constant flow of legendary champions.

The end result is I've started seeing kobold ambush parties, which will hopefully lead to kobold sieges.
How cool is that?

Edit: Oh yeah, and thanks to the discovery of an underground pool, my mayor's office now has a tame giant toad occupying it. That's gotta be off-putting for visiting dignitaries :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 04:15:28 am by Mungrul »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 11, 2010, 05:06:08 am »

Edit: Oh yeah, and thanks to the discovery of an underground pool, my mayor's office now has a tame giant toad occupying it. That's gotta be off-putting for visiting dignitaries :)

Let's discu-

Ribbit.

Let's discuss our tr-

Ribbit.

Let's discuss our trade agreem-

RIBBIT.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 11, 2010, 06:22:17 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-7784-showerwalled
First siege of my second fortress. Thankfully no marksgobs.
Catching mermaids is still a distant goal and fps is already around 30...

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 11, 2010, 06:33:53 am »

Quote from: Mungrul
Maybe it will hypnotize them into giving you the best deals.

Oh, and kobolds don't siege. Their ambushes can become more numerous though, if they manage to steal some more stuff.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:36:09 am by Murphy »

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 11, 2010, 06:37:06 am »

A red dragon arrived. It's named Zuko. It started heading towards my fortress and it suddenly just stopped. I hadn't locked up or anything. It just... halted while flying. And a couple of days later, Orcs decided to siege. Again I do my usual routine: lure them closer so my marksdwarves can pierce them all. Then lure them closer into the traps. I recently added a single file of cage traps, so now I have 7 5 Orcs captured, waiting for sweet death by my champion wrestlers, who are currently being trained the way of the hammer. But in the second part of my plan, something went awry. Two of the three marksdwarves had just become elite, during the same siege. And when I lured the Orcs into my traps, they got to far. The lever wasn't pulled quickly enough and they got in the main courtyard. My marksdwarves decided it would be a good idea to attack them head-on, with no hammer-training whatsoever. Needless to say, they got slaughtered. As kind of a revenge, my last marksdwarf found it fit to become Elite himself.
On the other hand, my queen is beginning to become happy again (I savescummed once to get her back from melancholy). My mayor had some awesome rooms, so I put him in some other rooms to make her happier. My weaponsmith has also become a better weaponsmith than metalsmith, so now I'm hoping for a fell/secretive mood. The Orcs keep on bringing their armour and weaponry, keeping my smelters busy, next to the massive amount of ore I already have. I'm also digging out wells and the cobaltite vein, tetrahedrite vein  and the microcline cluster (with some additional gems) I've found in the pipes. To make blocks for my igloo, which kind of has been suspended temporarily due to constant sieges. I'm also building a pump tower to get some pressure in my drowning chamber so it'll fill quicker. I've stopped mining the circus tent, out of fear I'll get in. But I've got 30 wafers and about 12 strands, so I think I can hold out until then. And I've found gold in the commoner's catacombs.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 11, 2010, 09:04:36 am »

CrestWhipped is now 15 years old...

That fortress would make for a great Adventurer raid- all that artifact armor? Mmmm.
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

Grafsburg

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mad Catta
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 11, 2010, 10:35:09 am »

At the moment I'm kind of working on a couple things. Mostly trying to get my pitiful military working. I'm also suffering through a bit of a food shortage, and I'm optimizing my stockpiles so that they're more efficiently-placed.

I did finally finish my Automatic Noble Retirement device, though, so I've got that going for me. Now any pesky nobles I have to worry about can just step on said device, another dwarf pulls a conveniently-located lever, and said noble will never bother me again.

Oh, and one of my dwarves just made a legendary spear that had images of horses on it in horsebone. And one picture of an elf getting eaten by an alligator in wood.

Actually, this elf shows up A LOT in my fortress's engravings. He must have been my world's messiah or something, because there are about fifty or so images of him getting eaten by this alligator. Or maybe the alligator is the messiah for vanquishing the annoying treehugger. Who knows?
"The great thing about music is that when it hits you, you feel no pain." ~Bob Marley

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:37 am »

17 years into my fort, I finally get around to constructing the dining room level of my tower. It entails masterwork clear glass windows holding back roughly 50 tiles worth of 7/7 water. Going to have to bucket brigade it for various reasons, luckily I've got about 30 Legendary+5 pump operators with nothing to do and plenty of room for designating ponds.

In other news, the liaison somehow managed to stand on the one tile of scaffolding left to be removed at just the right time, falling 12 z-levels to a gory, gib filled end. His death went unnoticed for a season simply because there was no alert, and I don't check the bottom of the excavated shaft.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 11, 2010, 12:52:50 pm »

I'll concede about swords, if only to keep this thread from getting derailed. Hammers are still better than maces though , if you're having problems with weight you're doing it very wrong - any armor during training  (which is almost impossible to train without, I've tried) will give them armor user and any strength will let them lift the weight easy. This is assuming legendary training, of course, recruits may find maces easier to use.

Apparently all the obsidian casting I'm doing is creating too much wealth. The orcs are sieging in full force, just got a six squad siege. Five of my seven squads simultaneously decided to go eat, drink, sleep, or otherwise slack off leaving just my wrestlers and swordsdwarves to guard the doors. Even weirder, only two of my wrestlers are at their station. After moving back and forth through the orc squad breaking bones and stunning the orcs, the swordsdwarves came and hacked them apart. I cannot wait for the next version with it's military updates to remove this, between assigning soldiers to guard burrows and carrying booze on duty military should be much less of a hassle.

I expanded the obsidian mold, and am producing too many blocks to store easily. I almost have the third floor finished on my constructed obsidian tower. With the arrival of the baron though I've been using most of my pearlash to fill out rooms for the baroness, her bitch, her enforcer, and her accountant. The economy has kicked in, which is no problem. My dwarves spend their time doing masonry and short hauling tasks, so they're all fairly wealthy. Of course, none of them have rooms so they don't buy things yet, and I haven't built any shops either. I'll be building them all apartments on the upper floors of my obsidian tower once I get the construction fiascoes ironed out.

Edit: and a single birth pushed my fortress into a county. Woot! Crap. Now I have to go back and upgrade the rooms for my nobles. Uraggggggh. I may just carbonite the lot of em.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:55:31 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 11, 2010, 01:28:22 pm »

Currently, I'm trying to get rid of the hundreds of thousandds of stones that fill my 50x50 dining room and the rest of my fortress (I like to plan big). I can't get this fort fully funcional until al that stone of off my important area, as I'm OCD abount stone on my tables, chairs, workshops etc.

Also, working on a megaproject to creat a suitable entrance to the fort, in the form of waterfalls, murals, a golden globe, statues, etc.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 11, 2010, 01:36:08 pm »

Elves came by and brought, among other things, a tame black bear. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford it (first year), so I ordered the cage dumped... but nobody came by to take care of it, despite cancelling all other dump orders.

Eventually the elves started to leave, and JUST after they get out of the fort entrance I see a miner running frantically after them, periodically pausing with a ?. He eventually reaches them and plucks the bear cage right off the retreating mustox.

I love this game.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 11, 2010, 02:31:15 pm »

My challenge begins. :)
I decided to wall up my current fort after I finish trading the merchants. AKA the inside of the for is only for the first 7 and the outside is for the immigrants. ;D (I may be flooded with inaccessable location cancelation, though...)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 11, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »

Oh, and kobolds don't siege. Their ambushes can become more numerous though, if they manage to steal some more stuff.

Aaaaw, pants.
I was looking forward to training up the janitor.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 11, 2010, 03:30:34 pm »

My third member of the hammerforce141 squad of dwarves has finally decided his slightly injured arm is fit for use again. He spent years in bed while his two friends ran around smooshing elves and treants and has finally jumped up again. NEVER MIND THE MANGLED LUNG! I seriously thought he was in bed for the horrible red mangled lung but no, it's the yellow arm that had him moaning. Now he sprints everywhere fit as a fiddle despite constantly complaining of being winded. At least I know that dwarves care more for dexterity than they do for respiration.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 3842