Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123537 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #765 on: January 05, 2010, 11:22:52 pm »

Well, the goblins sieged. En masse.

Y'see, I'd cracked the clown car and lost most of the champions. The remainder and the military-in-training were stationed, but they brought bows.
And someone charged them.
So I sent the lot out, and had the Release The Hounds! lever pulled.

This meant a HUGE swarm of grizzly bears and wardogs was unleashed. One dwarf dead, goblins mostly killed, a few dogs and bears dead, a bunch more wounded and slaughtered, and a few named dogs and bears.
There's a huge mess. Limbs and blood and chunks everywhere. But I got more goblinite!

I'm planning to re-equip everyone with masterwork/exceptional steel and clownite. The latter I'm mining with impunity, because I wiped out the clowns.
That's probably what attracted the goblins.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 05, 2010, 11:29:41 pm »

From now on, I shall forever call adamantine clownite. Just like orcinite and goblinite.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 06, 2010, 12:11:57 am »

I just embarked on a map with magma, chasm, bottomless pit, underground river, and I forget if it had HFS or not. My plan is to dig a fortress surrounding the chasm, but I can't until I kill the giant bat and giant cave swallow in there. I've currently dug out the area around the chasm with a single wall between my dwarves and winged death, but it caused an interesting side effect. I have five cave spiders wandering around the giant area, they're spinning webs faster than I can spin them into cloth. After I caged up the kitty, I have plenty of trade goods.

I have a drowning chamber going up for the orcs. Haven't seen any other races, which worries me, but until I see no elves next spring I won't worry too much.

Foods running low, I'm almost out of booze. Didn't think they'd go through it so fast. I have a crop of plump helmets in now, but it'll be a while.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 06, 2010, 02:26:52 am »

Re-building a upside down pyramid made out of adamant for my dwarves to live in.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 06, 2010, 02:43:22 am »

Well, Goblin ambushes and the resulting tantrums killed 25 dwarves. I messed up my perimeter ditch. On the other hand my lack of industries hasn't been an issue thanks to all the narrow cave spider silk socks. Um, and I think the fortress liaison got killed again. I really hate that. One goblin arrow and *pow*, no more goods requests. Ever.

If I abandon and reclaim, do I get a new liaison?

alphawolf29

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 06, 2010, 03:30:49 am »

Im playing Hermit so my Migrant waves are always very "fun."

This 18 strong man migrant wave came in on the edge of a map with a 9 strong kobold assault group, I drafted them immediately. About 6 of them died, killing all the kobolds under mass wrestling bodies. So they continue them, i un conscript them and they walk straight into a Skeletal Giant Eagle. Re-draft. The eagle butchers the next 10, leaving 2 to bleed to death as it flies off, probably having grown bored. The eagle only had a yellow knee =/

Worst migrant luck ever.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 06, 2010, 03:56:15 am »

Re-building a upside down pyramid made out of adamant for my dwarves to live in.

You using a custom reaction?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:09 am »

Currently the MinedStockades (in sig) are undergoing a mass exploratory mining project so I can find my damn underground river and make farming so much easier than going half-way across the map to the only soil I have.
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 06, 2010, 04:26:13 am »

Second year on this glacier, thankfully didn't get migrants the first year. The migrant menace did come after the elves in the spring though. A whopping 21 suckers in the first wave. Oh, and two female cats. No i don't want a sheriff.

5 were deemed worthy of my vision for this site (miners, masons and a peasant who was married to one of them). The rest got drafted and had an unfortunate training accident involving a drawbridge.

After finishing other tasks to purge the migrant taint i finally get around to reading the profiles of those spared. They all have terrible work ethics...

Why, RNG, why do you torment me so?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 06, 2010, 07:53:00 am »

Ok, another massive goblin ambush has killed off my entire military. But, on the upside, I now have a lovely waterfall.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 06, 2010, 01:04:24 pm »

I've set up a trap for the Orcs. They're besieging me right now with four squads. A grand total of 64 Orcs, 6 of them are Orc Bowmen. I have 54 Dwarfs at the moment. It's fall and so I shouldn't expect a caravan any time soon. But, as I've already said, I've made a trap. It's quite simple, actually. I've got two defensive walls (the standard one and the one of my igloo). Between the two, I've put stone-fall traps (yes, I cheated and removed [TRAPAVOID]). A level higher I've put my hunters/marksdwarves. The entrances are closed with drawbridges. When I see it fit, I open them and let a couple of Orcs in. Those who aren't killed by the traps are shot. Those who aren't inside are still in range of my marksdwarves and also get shot. At the moment, my Dwarves are hauling in the first part of the loot.
Oh. While typing all of this, the Orcs have left. So now they're hauling everything in. And my legendary bonecarver is making their bones into bolts. Which can be used on the next Orcish siege. How should it feel, being killed by bolts made out of the bones of your brethren?

And the magma-channel is almost completely filled. There's mostly sixes and a couple of fives. So my furnace operators are working hard to melt all of the orcite, goblinite, hematite, garnierite, native copper, tetrahedrite, native aluminium, native blackmetal and adamantine strands. My 'military' is currently sparring to train up their wrestling and my main weapon smith is making copper war hammers. My main armour smith is making copper shields. Both to train them up to legendary status, at which point I'll have them switch to steel.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 06, 2010, 02:01:46 pm »

I just started a fortress with the plan of making an army of war animals, particularly bears. I added the [trAINABLE] tag to just about every animal in the game, and made bears a common domestic animal.  Unfortunately, I don't have any wood, and I forgot to bring an axe, so I'm having a few minor problems.  Still, it's going pretty well. 
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 06, 2010, 03:15:01 pm »

If I abandon and reclaim, do I get a new liaison?

No.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 06, 2010, 03:19:19 pm »

Is this getting addressed in the new version? I didn't see it on the list, but I didn't work through the year's worth of Q&A with Toady on it. It's damn annoying to have your liaison pincushioned by an ambushing gobbo in the first year.

It's one of the few things that will cause me to restart a map and make me want to toss Toady in a magma pipe.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 06, 2010, 03:36:12 pm »

All the new features that have been added are listed here by some player, can't remember their name at the moment unfortunately. Last item under Organization is Liaisons will be be generated from scratch if they die.

EDIT: Can't seem to find the thread I found the link in either, so the list may not have been updated recently.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:57:07 pm by Elvang »
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 3842