Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123393 times)

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #750 on: January 04, 2010, 01:46:23 pm »

"Palaceblowing", my Underworld Challenge fortress continues, although slowly.  I have only two more levels to mine, and then some tidying up to do.  The delayed release of the next version is allowing me time to complete this fortress, otherwise I would really struggle to resist upgrading.  And am I looking forward to a new world, I seem to have generated one with low populations of Humans and Elves, as I have not had a fort yet that ever traded with them.

Anyway, had the regular Spring Seige, to which I lost a couple of champs.  They are fine fighting the goblins, but just get tired, even using obsidian swords.  But I drafted some replacements, who will be Champion Wrestlers, and handy swordsmen by next year.

And then got a Summer Siege too...

For the second time, I really feared for the survival of the fort.  A couple of champions popped up the main stair, and watched as the first wave main their way accross the shallow row of stone fall traps, and smiled as the leader, on his beak dog, got cut in half by the single *Giant Circular Saw* trap on the bridge (I dont usually buy trap components from the caravan, but this was money well spent!)

I lost one champ to bowmen, and another fell two storeys into the 3x2 embark tile underground lake.  Down to only a couple of unwounded Champs now, and maybe four unwounded Fortress Guards.  Who came to the rescue again.  I have seen bodies sent flying before, but when the FPS is down to 6, they really seemed to rocket accross the screen, flying across the lake, and exploding off the cavern walls.  Limbs, goblins, Beak Dogs,  all over the lake.  It means now, a couple of months later, the cavern is filling with Miasma, but thats cool.

And the champ who fell into the lake?  Swam all the way around the a ramp, and climbed out.  He then walked through the fight, and back to bed, but at bast I might get him back in a few seasons.

What made the whole thing worse was I got a couple of cave in messages during the siege, which was surprising.  They seem to happen if a square is left as a 'pile' then undermined.  Can happen if I was not careful in clearing the floor before mining the next level, but it was in a corner of the cave where I hadnt made temporary  stores, or so I thought.  I cleared all piles again, just to be safe, and quickly went back to watching the battle above.  When it happened a second time, I investigated some more, and it turned out I had designated two layers of ramps dug, one beneath the other, and they were undermining the upper level!  I lost a couple of legendary miners to this, which hurts when your FPS is down to 6-10!  The game is slow, but legendary miners race through the rock, so it sort of balances out.

Between that error and the siege, I ended up with a lot of unhappy dwarves, and a couple of tantrums, which ended in dwarf justice, and a couple more deaths.  All in all, I lost about 15 dwarves, but things seem to have calmed down now.  I just need to get some more coffins constructed to get them buried.

I also really need the injured swordsmen and Champs back now, my Military screen looks more impressive than the situation really is.  Most aredown to single yellow wounds, so hopefully they'll be up soon.

I have also cancelled all the masons and craftsdwarves from using up the stone on the cavern floor, Ill just melt it in magma, and have set them to haul as there is junk scattered all over the place, especially tons of gold ore, which I want store away safely before I release the magma.

I can see that I will get things dug out, then have to let it run with everyone set to haul for a while, just to tidy up.  If the next version gets released before Im done, then anything left will get sacrificed to Armok.  There might be resulting tantrum spirals, but once the plans are up on DFMA, who cares...

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 04, 2010, 02:26:55 pm »

I'm being besieged by 3 15-strong Orc raiding parties. A huge amount of ranged units. I did not like, so I lured some closer into my traps (as said before, I have trappable Orcs)and then walled myself in. Now I'm just waiting until they leave. It's mid-spring and I hope soon, so I at least will have the Human caravan. And my plan for the forges worked: I no have at least 3/7 magma all over the place. When they're gone, I'm going to fortify my entrance with a bridge and continue with the igloo. In the meantime, my miners are digging the nobles' burial ground. All the way down, on the penultimate level. The lowest level is reserved for the magma that will surround masterpiece Obsidian statues which will be placed on the crossroads of the walkways. Maybe those will also be only one tile wide -instead of the three I have now- with magma on the sides, obviously. And I've started drawing the plans for my spiralling tower.

Oh, and I've struck Rock Crystal!
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 04, 2010, 07:27:38 pm »

I just tapped into an UG river the worst way, on the bottom, where pressure is the highest ><

I scrambled to seal it off and managed to save the farm and still. I lost the area which I had my gobbo junk storage area in and will loose a few non-essential dwarves and the miner who broke into the UG river, but the fort is saved.

However, I'm now blocked off from the outside with an ambush sneaking around. All of my military is safe (had to make a new route to the sparring dojo though), so I have them set to be where I'm making a new hole on the surface and will, as quickly as possible, have to secure it and reconnect it to the old entrance.

Edit: Just managed to save my miner. :)

Edit2: And now the river is draining its pressure through the escape hole my miner made, tried to plug it up, but too late.

Edit3: Meh, I feel like abandoning this one for some reason, not to mention that everything kind of got screwed up now.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 08:01:58 pm by smjjames »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: January 04, 2010, 08:53:20 pm »

I just reclaimed the aforementioned fort four times.

It appears that when one reclaims a fort with skeletal fire imps, new ones respawn while the old stay. I now have more than a dozen of the beasties lurking near my fortress.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 05, 2010, 12:04:40 am »

I want to try and construct this fortress I drew up:

Sketch/Rough Map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Map Legend:

Layout:
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 05, 2010, 12:33:42 am »

Sounds like you will really benefit from the burrows stuff in the next release.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: January 05, 2010, 12:36:29 am »

Yeah, that'd be great I think. Watch, the next release will be save-breaking, and it'll come out once I've done something significant on this fort ::)
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 05, 2010, 01:16:41 am »

I think it's clearly established to be save breaking. I've got grand plans for the next version.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56:12 pm »

Currently screwing around with my raws, to build a civ of Iron Men. (Sieges will be even more fun than with orcs)

Then I'll embark in a beautiful location, and get slaughtered by iron men.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 05, 2010, 03:25:22 pm »

I was using the ultrafinder to scrounge up a bunch of potential sites as I like desert sites (helps with lag) and now I'm going through a bunch of them to find a good one.

In the next version, since magma is going to be potentially everywhere, I'm going to ditch the site finder (unless its rendered non-functional due to the changes), go find a nice spot with lots of soil and sedimentary rock and is flat or almost totally flat.

Unbeliever

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 05, 2010, 03:55:30 pm »

I have my Barracks a couple levels above my drawbridge entry to my fort, in an arc de triomphe kinda shape. Fortifications on each side of the barracks, beds up there too.

On of my soldiers just gave birth to a baby... Unfortunately she gave birth through the fortifications and it fell 3 z-levels straight to its death  :(

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 05, 2010, 04:00:01 pm »

I have my Barracks a couple levels above my drawbridge entry to my fort, in an arc de triomphe kinda shape. Fortifications on each side of the barracks, beds up there too.

On of my soldiers just gave birth to a baby... Unfortunately she gave birth through the fortifications and it fell 3 z-levels straight to its death  :(

I had a soldier give birth on the edge of a bottomless pit while on patrol. I got the recenter, hit space, and plop, over the edge it went. I now restrict 3 tiles around the edge of pits.

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 05, 2010, 08:38:24 pm »

Regarding my megafortress, I've almost finished with the bottom part of the lowest tier. It is roughly 70x20 in size, and 3 z-levels high. The outer walls are all constructed of gabbro blocks, and it currently holds a small inn, complete with a bar, tables, and rooms, as well as a small cellar for storing food.

Edit: Why is the bloody hell did the human diplomat get stricken with melancholy?! Now those bastards are sieging me!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:42:18 pm by Danjen »

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 05, 2010, 10:42:45 pm »

Why is the bloody hell did the human diplomat get stricken with melancholy?!

Envy.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 05, 2010, 11:08:43 pm »

Embarked on a terrifying major river, yet nothing but zombie gooses and skeletal pheasants so far.  A whole bunch of surplus immigrants showed up before I punched through my aquafier so I drafted them and sent them to wrestle some creatures right next to the river bank to dispose of them.  8 Doged into the water right away and died but two were smart enough to over exhert themselves and pass out.  It Took them something like a month or two to finish off 10 zombie gooses.  During that time they both sustained significant injuries, healed, drank water to survive, slept on the ground while being attacked by multiple enemies and never once got unhappy about it so I spared them. 
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 11:25:40 pm by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 3842