Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123434 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #735 on: January 03, 2010, 06:27:26 pm »

We also have no idea whether they teleport between a magma pipe and a magma pool. Since fish vermin do it all the time, the answer is probably yes.

Anyways, cool to know that I can do it within a year with a dedicated trapper or two.

Its almost the winter of the second year, and I'm a bit surprised that the goblins didn't pop up with the autmn caravan, possibly a combination of me bieng pretty remote and the fort has a pretty low profile atm.

Need to decide soon about my military since I've gotten to 42 pop already (caused by a bit of platnium inside olivine which I was trying to avoid), but I've had a somewhat faster start than I usually have and I'm used to doing desert forts, so I've got it handled.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: January 03, 2010, 06:40:05 pm »

So I finally got my first ambush, 2 years in and 70 dwarf pop... lost 2 dogs and a the peasant who discovered them. Had another  peasant tantrum the production of booze and beds is still slooooow. Amazing just how much more effeincent my tiny circle forts are compared to this much more spread out fort. Also begun producing steel for the first time ever. Look forward to having steel equiped champions soon!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: January 03, 2010, 06:56:56 pm »

I just pulled the lever on what I guess is my first mini-megaconstruction.

I embarked on a tropical map with a river that was around 20 tiles wide on average. Also, there's a magma pipe nearby. So I built a dam. A hydromechanical dam. Sixteen waterwheels providing 1600 units of power.

The first step was to build a magma pipeline from the pipe (which was exposed) to the river two region tiles away. Then I built a windmill-powered two-Z-level pump stack to pump the magma into the pipe … and discovered my map is apparently windless. Unless there's some issue with building a windmill one z-level above the ground? Does wind only work at ground level?

Anyway, my dwarves threw a couple waterwheels into the river and ran an 80-tile-long axle to the pump stack, dodging hippos and rhinos and fire imps. (There were two grass fires during construction. Order everybody in, wait for it to burn out. Twice. Booooring.)

I pulled that lever, and magma flowed into the river, damming it nicely. It took two years for the pipeline to drain and the magma that pooled on the surface on the dam to evaporate, though. I could've thought that one through better.

Anyway, I hollowed out the dam, installed the hardware and stuff, and just pulled the lever. I'm getting 1600 units of power … at 32 frames per second while the downstream half of the river refills. Oy.

Now I need to think of something to do with the power. Apart from driving the pumps that provide, er, "heating" to my eventual nobles' suites, of course.

Oh. My dwarves have been eating carp and tigerfish for the past two years. There was a BIG butchering party when the downstream half of the river drained.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: January 03, 2010, 07:10:26 pm »

So I finally got my first ambush, 2 years in and 70 dwarf pop... lost 2 dogs and a the peasant who discovered them. Had another  peasant tantrum the production of booze and beds is still slooooow. Amazing just how much more effeincent my tiny circle forts are compared to this much more spread out fort. Also begun producing steel for the first time ever. Look forward to having steel equiped champions soon!

Tiny circle fort? what do you mean?

Edit: Just after I posted and still in late autmn of the second year, 10 more migrants showed up. There is one immigrant who has a bit of skill in ambushing, but no marksdwarf skill, yet the weapon choice shows up as crossbow in Dwarf Therapist. I think I'll go for marksdwarves in my military, but only one problem, I only have a couple of turtle bones and those won't make a whole lot of bolts right now.

Edit2: Scratch that, he only brought a handful of bolts and a copper crossbow, not really worth it at the moment, especially training wise.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:24:01 pm by smjjames »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: January 03, 2010, 08:04:51 pm »

Tiny circle fort? what do you mean?
My previous forts have all been built in a circular design thats only 26 tiles in diameter, stacked ontop of one another, with only a few tunnels branching off for exploratory mining, magma/water pipes, and the like. Its fairly effiecient, but borring as I can have the entire fort built within two game years or so.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: January 03, 2010, 08:37:09 pm »

A fire imp would have set the entire area in front of my fortress on fire.  Except all the trees are so damn thick that the fire couldn't get very far from the pipe one way and the fire couldn't manage to go down the ramps into the valley on the other.

The only problem was the hunter that fought the fireimp was well and truly on fire when I discovered the conflagration.  If I would not have noticed him then, his heatimmune self would have likely wandered into the food stockpile leading to the flaming starvation of the entire fortress.  But fortunately I noticed him and jammed him into some poor sod's bedroom and locked the door til the fire went out before he decided to grab a snack or a drink. 

Casualties: the contents of 1 bedroom, 1 temporarily evicted resident, and a few dozen square tiles of burnt dry grass.   
Things certainly get un-fun once you learn how to handle just about anything the game can throw at you.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: January 03, 2010, 08:45:18 pm »

The hunter lived?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #742 on: January 03, 2010, 09:22:53 pm »

Right now I'm getting sieged by Goblins. 16 or so to be a bit more exact.

Working on clearing out a large section of a mountain that is messing with the way I want my fortress.

I have 86 dwarfs.

Got a recent artifact millstone... Not too sure what to do with it.

Found out where my underground river is fairly safely.

Other than that, not too much, everything is pretty relaxed in my fort.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 03, 2010, 09:23:38 pm »

Yea, fireimmune and heat immune.   The problem when you get somebody burning in that kind of fortress isn't trying to save the one on fire, it's finding some way to keep a hungry and thirsty mobile fireball as far away from food booze and everyone else until the fire burns out. Or else a 3 year supply of food goes up in about 10 seconds.  Combine that with [carnivore] and that is a way to lose an entire fort, not just one member.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 09:25:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #744 on: January 03, 2010, 10:08:09 pm »

Today I finally, finally, at last had a weaponsmith have a fey mood.  The artiface star iron warhammer is nice, but even more nice is having a legendary weaponsmith.  He'd churning out some masterwork mithril crossbows for the military now.

Meanwhile, the Rabbit Counting Engine is back up and running.  I had to half tear it apart to fix some design flaws.  Never use remote controlled doors to partition groups of animals - they're surprisingly clever at figuring out just the right place to stand to leave doors stuck open.  Assuming this revision works, I should have a regular supply of rabbit corpses delivered right to the butcher's shop.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 03, 2010, 10:21:18 pm »

I started a new fort, without magma or sedimentary rock. My chosen site was the top of a small hill that could be easily isolated for defensive purposes.

An underground river was discovered literally two z-levels below where I dug. I'm still not sure whether this is good fortune or bad, but at least I'll never run out of silk.

Also, my expedition leader was injured in a cave-in and has been resting the entire winter while the liason patiently waits for him. They only go insane if they physically can't leave your fort, right?

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 04, 2010, 01:31:26 am »

I am pleased with my current fort. Within 2 hours, I have my fort pretty set and the traders came which were immediately followed by migrants. I find that awesome since I embarked by the ocean. :)

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 04, 2010, 05:08:41 am »

Hehe, I made this big spire fort that sticks up from the lowest level to around ten levels above ground. The center of it is this big pit that stretches the entire height of the tower, and I just finished my pump system to turn my fortress into a giant water fountain, but still leave it intact. Now every room in my fortress has this amazing waterfall in the middle. Making the fort was kind of nasty though, I had a dozen or so masons all working on building the tower. The quarters and mess hall are all in the above-ground half, and all have nice windows all around. If I get attacked, the soldiers can fire at the enemy from the barracks; it has 360 degrees of view that my snipers can utilize.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 04, 2010, 01:02:45 pm »

I just embarked on a freezing terrifying ocean. Not only is it my first ocean fort, it's my first terrifying one. As I checked the unit screen, I was greeted by a skeletal basking shark and three skeletal sperm whales. When I cracked open my magma pipe, I found a fire man and four skeletal fire imps.

I'm going to have fun...

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 04, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »

Though I'm pop-capped at 25, breeders have bumped that up to 50, so I got my first mayor. Which provoked me to start preparing lavish quarters for the inevitable nobles who'll start trickling in when and if I raise the population cap and allow immigrants again.

So I just finished building out my first noble suite. It's nice. It's … um … heated. Yeah, that's what you could call it. Heated. Bonus? It doubles as a small-scale obsidian farm. Just have to remember that none of the residents are inside when I start the magma pumps. Because that would be … well, tragic.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 3842