Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6123055 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #690 on: December 29, 2009, 03:42:17 am »

Well obviously the first thing you did was savescum because no one died. Right?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Flouride

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 29, 2009, 08:27:11 am »

Wooo-hooo! Just had my first tantrum spiral EVER after playing DF for over a year now....

1st try on a new fortress failed due to troglodyte overdose.

Reclaimed it with 70 valiant dwarf warriors... guess what happened after the first one drowned?

Four dwarves left now plus one Dungeon Master. This is gonna be great. Trust me. Cheers! ;D

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 29, 2009, 01:40:23 pm »

I just got a 60+ seige from the slow muties (My dark tower mod) and the leader was there. The leader was a elite wrestling who was wearing masterwork jeans among other things. The interesting thing was, He was wearing a exceptional loin cloth with a picture of the artifact groundhog hood a leather worker made. I was astounded!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:25 pm »

The economy hit, no biggie. Then goblins decided to siege me, including one, who had lost an ear to my archers. Still nothing serious. Then my champion marksdwarf decides to go to sleep. I still can handle that.

Then my laptop decides to restart. OH ARMOK WHY!!???
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 29, 2009, 04:23:19 pm »

Finally found a suitable site for my experiments into ice/water/obsidian production on a glacier. Too bad it's on an island. Just had a bit of a scare when a polar bear popped up unexpectedly after the dwarven caravan left. Good thing i had set up part of the mold for the future obsidian tower already. I was able to funnel the bear into a cage trap and tamed it. So glad its female.

Still pondering the exact design for the ice/water/obsidian production facilities. I don't want to mess things up by digging out the ice too soon.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 29, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »

I just caught the leader of the slow mutie civ (Not the POWER leader if that was possible Id have a seiging crimson king!),a whole bunch of his henchmen and three bandit thieves. I'm in the process of making a dungeon for them.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 29, 2009, 05:18:53 pm »

You have struck Raw Adamantine! Praise the miners!

I received this message while digging out the commoners' quarters. And this after finding five aluminium clusters, a copper vein and a blackmetal vein (Dig Deeper, but with [TRAPAVAOID] removed), so I'm a happy man, with a reasonably rich fortress. Now, you should know that I normally don't mine out ores and gems from bedrooms, dining halls, offices, arenas... Understandably, I'll make an exception here (but only when I'm completely and utterly ready). And I'm only in the second year, with just 15 Dwarfs. Due to the Orcs I've only had one caravan. Because of a tantrum from one of the migrants (insufficient food and booze production from my behalf), my woodcutter/carpenter has also been bedridden with a broken head and leg for half a year. In the meantime, the magma's slowly but steadily making a way to my (inbuilt) forges. The engravers are smoothing what is going to be the dining hall, the mason is making Obsidian blocks, doors, thrones, tables, armour stands, weapon racks, coffers and cabinets. I'm also planning to make all of the noble housing heated. That's about it I think.

Oh, right. This is new Fortress, my Igloo-fort would crash at a certain time. No idea why.
EDIT: I might make a tribute to it, only in microcline. I'm not sure yet. I'll try and survive first.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:21:49 pm by Kidiri »
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 29, 2009, 05:38:53 pm »

I embarked in an area with a town for the first time. The humans there had an outdoor swimming pool with a deck 1 z-level up. I enclosed both levels with walls so they could hang out around the pool in peace. I built a windmill and pumps for the first time yesterday (and learned how to use gears and axles). One pump pumps water from the pool to the poolside level, and another pumps the water up to the upper deck where the water cascades down into the pool as a waterfall. A windmill provides both pumps with power. My dwarves will be ecstatic drinking beer around the pool and watching the waterfall. Wish I could join them. :)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 29, 2009, 07:11:46 pm »

My current fort is in a glacier. I've built an ice block corridor protecting the pathway from my main quarters to the Tombs of Ice (self explanatory name. I dug a necropolis in an ice peak)

Now I am proceeding to build my fortifications further. I already added an emergency exit that can be sealed quickly by pumping in water, which then solidifies.

Some minor casualties due to blizzard men, kobold ambushes, and magma, ice, and magma+ice mishaps.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #699 on: January 01, 2010, 12:20:48 pm »

Year 23 of Pagedslipped, the Dig Deeper giant green glass pyramid of science and industry, I get an unexpected message. 

"The ancient vampire Unu Zutosplungo Spun Unbu has come!"

Never having dealt with an ancient vampire before, I prepare the fortress defenses and ready the troops.  The vampire promptly flies right over the moat and fortress walls, ignoring the defenses.  Panicking and expecting it to slaughter undefended workers inside, I redirect my military to intercept it.  Oddly, rather than killing anyone or destroying it, the ancient vampire heads straight to a random glassmaker's bedroom and sits there.  Even more unexpectedly, when the military arrive, rather than fighting it they just sit there in the room chilling out.

Confused, I check the unit list.  The Vampire is listed as Friendly.

I check the vampire's information.  Her name translates as "Unu Tunnelplay the Tentacle of Nudes".  She's not wearing anything.  And she's the ruler of the local goblin civilization.

Alrighty then.

Apparently after years of failed seiges, the vampiress leader of the goblins has decided to try and seduce my dwarves instead.  I have no idea now to deal with this yet.  I'm torn between sealing her in a room and flooding it with magma, or using some tweak tool to make her a permanent member of my fortress.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 01, 2010, 02:34:20 pm »

I'm starting a new fort with magma pipe, flux and HFS. It'll be my first time playing with HFS so it should be exciting. Also planning on making this fort the one I stick to unlike my other 5-year-then-quit forts. Also planning on sticking it out to the dire end and not getting upset when my favourite dwarf dies to a rampant kobold with a steel bolt in his bag. Wish me luck!

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #701 on: January 01, 2010, 03:00:58 pm »

We just finished testing the gobblin Flushinator 5000™. It is expected to act as an emergency defense system to the fortress's entrance, flushing all the invaders out of the main corridor into the outside.
Pictury pic.
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9352/flushinator1.jpg
The best part of it is that it runs solely on gravity, both to fill the flush reservoir and to flush the entrance.
Obviously though, it needs a better drainage system, once the flush evaporates I'll prepare some better draining to it... *facepalm*
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 02, 2010, 07:00:50 am »

One of my random untrained dogs is now a big damn hero - she killed three fire imps by herself, and fatally injured the other one. She was then put down due to her left rear leg being severely wounded and having a mild brain injury.

Said fortress was then flooded with magma as I attempted to dig one of my miners out of a channeled magma excavation area.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 02, 2010, 09:44:13 am »

I am actively mining out microcline.

As stated before, I was making an igloo on a glacier some time back. Due to a recurring bug/whatever, DF crashed again and again. I was fed up and started anew. But, I still wanted to make my dome. So now I'm building a microcline block igloo. It's diameter is 43 tiles and it's height is 22 z-levels. In the meantime, caravans came and went, along with a goblin ambush or two. Due to quick thinking and acting, the casualties were only two unimportant dwarfs and the caravan guard. My magma chamber isn't filling properly, so I'm going to make it a bit wider, hoping that will solve some problems.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #704 on: January 02, 2010, 11:38:22 am »

Never having dealt with an ancient vampire before, I prepare the fortress defenses and ready the troops.  The vampire promptly flies right over the moat and fortress walls, ignoring the defenses.  Panicking and expecting it to slaughter undefended workers inside, I redirect my military to intercept it.  Oddly, rather than killing anyone or destroying it, the ancient vampire heads straight to a random glassmaker's bedroom and sits there.  Even more unexpectedly, when the military arrive, rather than fighting it they just sit there in the room chilling out.

Confused, I check the unit list.  The Vampire is listed as Friendly.

I check the vampire's information.  Her name translates as "Unu Tunnelplay the Tentacle of Nudes".  She's not wearing anything.  And she's the ruler of the local goblin civilization.

Alrighty then.

Apparently after years of failed seiges, the vampiress leader of the goblins has decided to try and seduce my dwarves instead.  I have no idea now to deal with this yet.  I'm torn between sealing her in a room and flooding it with magma, or using some tweak tool to make her a permanent member of my fortress.
Umm...wtf?

I think this may be a side of the goblins we haven't seen before...the goblin civilization near my third fortress is named Amxu Snukang - "The Seduction of Passion".
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 3842