Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122934 times)

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #660 on: December 24, 2009, 05:51:14 am »

Trying to cleanup after two huge orc sieges, yeesh i have alot of mess now.

Im going to have to make magma cannons to help cut down on the clothing around the place.
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: December 24, 2009, 12:00:39 pm »

'Palaceblowing'(?!) my Underworld challenge fortress has survived it's first two seiges. When the first arrived, my 6 legendary champs were waiting by the entrance for the gobbos. Three squads of Beak dog riders headed towards them, and I waited for the usual carnage as massively over skilled champs tear throw the gobbos. But this time it was not to be.

In allt the efforts in carving out the mountain, I had overlooked weapons and armour, and my open fort was guarded by leatheredx armoured wrestlers! Only two champs and a marksdwarf survived the carnage.

A couple of dwarves tantrummed, but it didn't spiral out of control, and I repented and ordered some traps built. I drafted 8 more into the miltaey, ordered some more leather armour, and the goblinite smelted for some iron armour.  I also ordered some obsidian swords and set the new recruits and remaining champs to use them (you can see where this is going).

The next seige of 4 squads of Beak dog riding gobbos arrived with only 6 stone fall traps built and all the new recruits laid up injured.

I began to wonder if might finally lose a fort. I set my two champs tostand guard behind the traps, with the marksdwarves behind them. I allocated all 12 remaining war dogs to the marksdwarf, and crossed my fingers.

The gobbos shot the door guard dogs from a distance, and raced accross the traps, at which point I noticed only one champ was awake, presumably the other thought it was a one dwarf job?

The fight started almost on top of the traps, with bits of goblin and dog flying all over the place, into the top of the magma pipe, and the lake around it.  The first champ was doing a reasonable job, although the marksdwarf had been shot dead.

Then I saw a horrible sight, the champ was flying off to the right, clearing the magma pipe, and landing with a splash in the aquifer filled lake. Just at that moment the second champ arrived, followed by a couple of champion fortress guards. I have seen them join in a defence before, but never been so pleased to see them.

It didn't take long for them to turn the seige, and for the gobbos to break and run, although I lost another FG champ in the battle.  As I was checking over the carnage I noticed the drowning champ was still alive! I quickly sent a miner down to carve a couple of ramps, and quick as a flash he was out, with some basic swimming skill.

Which was nice.

I now have a miltaey training with sheilds and armour, and will be starting with weapons only when they are already champs.  It usually works out better that way.

Jordo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: December 24, 2009, 12:37:24 pm »

Currently fighting off a goblin ambush. most have gone or are dead, but a few still remain. A baby lost both eyes in battle, don't know if it will survive. my military is mostly dead as well, but the mother of the baby still lives.

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: December 24, 2009, 02:11:54 pm »

drowned half my fort on gigantic drowning trap gone awry o.o
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: December 24, 2009, 04:44:36 pm »

My fortress.

Cool story bro.

On second thought, I won't dig down to your level.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 04:46:16 pm by sonerohi »
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: December 24, 2009, 04:46:26 pm »

Finally starting to move out of the basecamp and into my real fort that has been undergoing construction for 12+ years now.  32 levels of cliff that had to be made sheer; 7 waterfalls, 3 rivers, a magma river and lake combo that drains, and an automatic maze entrance all had to be designed and tested (in other forts); space for 300 dwarves had to be dug out and decorated; every chamber had to be made beatifully (arched ceilings and pillars, etc.); those 32 levels of sheer cliff had to be scaffolded, smoothed, and have a pattern engraved (from the side it is a dwarf standing atop more dwarves, holding a battleaxe, in ASCII); the Lava Lamp and my nobles mirror had to be made (a curvy glass container full of lava in the central hall that has a hatch to spew its contents onto invaders; a glass wall with a silver backing that is 4 z levels high and 12 tiles wide, one in every nobles room for 6 total); and the entrance sculpture, a bronze crescent moon supported by gold pillars with silver spirals running up them. It took forever.

Pics?
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: December 24, 2009, 04:47:53 pm »

I'm working on getting pics from Stonesense and then uploading the map. Chugging around at four FPS, and pulling 0-1 when the liquid features are on, which I want a picture of.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: December 24, 2009, 10:04:14 pm »

Have partly finished arrangements on greenhouses for crops, and settled housing arrangements for dwarves. Am currently mining out every metal vein I can find, and the miners just found a lovely lode of magnetite. I knew embarking on a biome at least partly sedimentary was a good idea. Finally I'm going to have iron coming out of my ears.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: December 25, 2009, 02:55:43 am »

Well the first wave of ogre children has grown up and been trained as war ogres like their parents. Also started a mass butchering project to cull the numbers of other animals. Still hoping to catch another oposite gender harpy and werewolf. DM arived and shortly after the fps took a dive. I think there may be an ambush chilling out there somewhere. The massive grass fire didnt reveal it tho, so it's probably chilling out on one of the little islands across the lake. Guess I'll build a couple bridges and see what happens.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: December 25, 2009, 04:17:56 am »

Well the first wave of ogre children has grown up and been trained as war ogres like their parents. Also started a mass butchering project to cull the numbers of other animals. Still hoping to catch another oposite gender harpy and werewolf. DM arived and shortly after the fps took a dive. I think there may be an ambush chilling out there somewhere. The massive grass fire didnt reveal it tho, so it's probably chilling out on one of the little islands across the lake. Guess I'll build a couple bridges and see what happens.

Alas, opposite gender harpies are impossible. They have the [FEmale] tag.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: December 25, 2009, 05:38:26 am »

(ive restarted do to them killing my marks dwarves even with armour on D: i must really suck at military in dis game! so now im posting dated events of my new hermit dwarf project)
Edit: before i start how do i tell if theres a kolbold cave around :D
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 02:31:55 pm by DwarfOfDefeat »
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: December 26, 2009, 12:03:10 am »

Alas, opposite gender harpies are impossible. They have the [FEmale] tag.
*Checks the raws* Yep Missed that the first time thru.. Not that it matters I've not seen a harpy or were for a couple years now. All I get now are macaques and boars, which the local giant flame spiders HATE.  They'll charge clear across the map to kill them when they enter. Its funny to watch.
I am kinda getting bored with this fort tho.. I think I'll put it ont he back burner and start a new one...
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: December 26, 2009, 01:22:39 am »

First wave of immigrants in my newest fort, apparently one of them brought their pet GCS with them (I had successfully modded GCSes to be purchasable on Embark). Great Now I have 5 GCSes at the fort
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: December 26, 2009, 02:40:28 am »

"Hammertime" is drowning in migrants. It doesn't help that I keep engraving everything. Also, I have no non-decorative metal better than copper and a bit of steel weaponry and armour which I'm going to make into steel chain mail instead of boots and shit like that. My four champions are doing nothing, i'm running out of trees and I can't find the apparent magma vent on this map. oh, but my food situation is excellent - I even have an outside garden based on berries traded off elves!
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

GrafZeppelin

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saddest Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: December 26, 2009, 02:18:19 pm »

I trapped some elven ambushers INSIDE my fort, and I still can't find them. I didn't realize I even had Elven ambushers in my fort until one of them was crushed by a drawbridge.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 3842