Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122954 times)

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #645 on: December 23, 2009, 10:43:09 pm »

He's my only miner too.  I like to think he's experiencing a fey mood or something.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: December 23, 2009, 11:02:39 pm »

Jesus. Is that just a labyrinth for labyrinth's sake, or your actual fort design? You might wanna spolier tag that, though.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: December 23, 2009, 11:07:47 pm »

Oh man, I want a miner to get a fell mood and cause catastrophic fortress collapse.

"This is an artifact Dwarf Ruin. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of cave-in and flooding. On the item is a picture of corpses in corpse."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: December 23, 2009, 11:08:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is the most epic labyrinth ever.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:12:35 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: December 23, 2009, 11:39:25 pm »

I'm going to create a bunch of doors or floodgates for each entrance to each room, then hook them up randomly to about twenty five pressure plates.   After filling the rooms with booze and food, I'll throw my dwarves in there with a couple of goblin invaders, and seal off the entrances.  Then, a cat will be thrown in the pressure plate room, and the last dwarf/goblin surviving wins a prize!

(The prize is magma)

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: December 23, 2009, 11:56:36 pm »

You named yourself well.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: December 24, 2009, 12:11:15 am »

Finally starting to move out of the basecamp and into my real fort that has been undergoing construction for 12+ years now.  32 levels of cliff that had to be made sheer; 7 waterfalls, 3 rivers, a magma river and lake combo that drains, and an automatic maze entrance all had to be designed and tested (in other forts); space for 300 dwarves had to be dug out and decorated; every chamber had to be made beatifully (arched ceilings and pillars, etc.); those 32 levels of sheer cliff had to be scaffolded, smoothed, and have a pattern engraved (from the side it is a dwarf standing atop more dwarves, holding a battleaxe, in ASCII); the Lava Lamp and my nobles mirror had to be made (a curvy glass container full of lava in the central hall that has a hatch to spew its contents onto invaders; a glass wall with a silver backing that is 4 z levels high and 12 tiles wide, one in every nobles room for 6 total); and the entrance sculpture, a bronze crescent moon supported by gold pillars with silver spirals running up them. It took forever.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: December 24, 2009, 12:31:22 am »

Finally starting to move out of the basecamp and into my real fort that has been undergoing construction for 12+ years now.  32 levels of cliff that had to be made sheer; 7 waterfalls, 3 rivers, a magma river and lake combo that drains, and an automatic maze entrance all had to be designed and tested (in other forts); space for 300 dwarves had to be dug out and decorated; every chamber had to be made beatifully (arched ceilings and pillars, etc.); those 32 levels of sheer cliff had to be scaffolded, smoothed, and have a pattern engraved (from the side it is a dwarf standing atop more dwarves, holding a battleaxe, in ASCII); the Lava Lamp and my nobles mirror had to be made (a curvy glass container full of lava in the central hall that has a hatch to spew its contents onto invaders; a glass wall with a silver backing that is 4 z levels high and 12 tiles wide, one in every nobles room for 6 total); and the entrance sculpture, a bronze crescent moon supported by gold pillars with silver spirals running up them. It took forever.

Sounds too pristine for a dwarf ;]
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: December 24, 2009, 12:33:18 am »

Not pristine enough given that for the 2 years of smooth work required for the cliff face, my dwarves tried to spray paint graffiti using their blood.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: December 24, 2009, 01:44:30 am »

Cool story bro.
Sulvor has created a backpack (made out of dwarven babies) and is now a legendary leatherworker

arkraven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: December 24, 2009, 01:54:59 am »

I look away from My fortress for a couple seconds and when I come back two dwarves have burnt to death because UristMcFortressIdiot played with imps. The sad thing is I just started a new fort, and a few minutes in I got my first wave of immigrants.

EDIT: I feel Like i live in the ashlands of morrowind now.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 01:58:40 am by arkraven »
>Philosopher
>Dislikes intellectual discussion

Rename her profession to "Professional Troll"

Sulvor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: December 24, 2009, 02:35:45 am »

I got an elder scrolls reference. Booyah!

AshrothTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: December 24, 2009, 05:29:38 am »

So, at the moment where I most need masterful furniture and the like, I get a possession. On a craftsdwarf leatherworker.

The result is a short skirt named "Tattoofather the Meditation of Blenching"

Only thing I'm ever going to get off of this, apart from the name is the name of my civs first ruler, Athel Fancyhammers.

In other, less bad news, my cooking/farming experiments are slowly bearing fruit, in a variety of roasts. My soon to be underground tree farm is processing slowly, what with all the other mining going on.

And I just noticed that ogres are mauling my cats. I'm just going to leave them alone since sending a legendary miner, the only dwarves I have capable of dealing with a number of them alone, are far more useful in the depths right now
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:36:07 am by AshrothTheBrave »

zdxl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: December 24, 2009, 05:43:06 am »

My fortress is probably the most boring fortress ever. It's so carefully designed that enemies never make it to the front entrance, where I have a bunch of war dogs, a squad of crossbow-dwarves behind fortifications and many, many cage and weapon traps, not that it matters, in four years of dwarf time I've never had a single siege or anything other than the odd thief or snatcher (who were scared away by local wildlife anyway). Starting to wonder where those damn goblins are at, I've amassed over a million wealth.

The greatest threat to the fort is it's growing amount of champion fortress guards and champion military dwarves, who have nothing better to do than spar. One in particular slaughtered 3 fully equipped champion swordsdwarves when I sent him to spar for 10 minutes.

In boredom I've started project MountainHome, involving attempting to hollow out the whole goddamn mountain.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: December 24, 2009, 05:43:39 am »

A wooderworker was the first to see a goblin ambush coming. I recruited him so he'd at least he'd have a fighting chance against them. He immediately went into a martial trance and kicked their asses. He killed 5 wrestlers and an axeman, with the only outside hit being by a crossbowdwarf.
I checked him and he was the one that saved a woodcutter from a beak dog and the husband of my first champion! :)

EDIT:
Also, a different goblin ambush group walked into my fort's entrance when my entire military was there, a dwarf caravan was there, and I also had a bunch of stone-fall and cage traps.

I only caught one, though. :(
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 05:50:06 am by Jack_Bread »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 3842