Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122783 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #615 on: December 21, 2009, 09:11:36 pm »

Dwarven traders arrived carrying 2 steel shields, one very, very, very more expensive than the other. So i had a look. The expensive one had a picture in platinum on it. A picture of an artifact my dorfs made. "Your efforts are legend there" just got a whole new meaning to me. I still didn't buy it, though.

I can top that. I once had an Orc siege led by five local leaders. I was cleaning up after the battle, and noticed that the weapons and armor of the leaders had pictures of my one and only artifact. My only conclusion was that they were parties of crusaders, and my artifact cabinet was their Holy Grail.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 21, 2009, 11:03:39 pm »

Dwarven traders arrived carrying 2 steel shields, one very, very, very more expensive than the other. So i had a look. The expensive one had a picture in platinum on it. A picture of an artifact my dorfs made. "Your efforts are legend there" just got a whole new meaning to me. I still didn't buy it, though.

I can top that. I once had an Orc siege led by five local leaders. I was cleaning up after the battle, and noticed that the weapons and armor of the leaders had pictures of my one and only artifact. My only conclusion was that they were parties of crusaders, and my artifact cabinet was their Holy Grail.

Thats just amazing!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 22, 2009, 01:19:39 am »

I've decided to make my fort go out spectatularily by making a one tile meeting zone and I'm using an idea that someone else did and foregoing my tower and instead extend the stairwell all the way up from z-level 20 to z-level 40, make a platform there and when the time is right, make everybody recruits and have them do sparring with iron hammers, that way they will fall through holes in the platform, or get splatted by the hammers. Any survivors of the fall, resulting tantrum spiral, and migrants get to do it again.

Edit: I was planning on this one bieng the last fort for this version, but I kind of want to test out an idea for a bedroom complex that I have, and its easier to do it with a new fort.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 01:22:39 am by smjjames »

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 22, 2009, 02:37:49 am »

Spoiler: The Silo (click to show/hide)

So that there is my complete project, a 10 x 10 building eleven z-levels high, with future use as a massive silo for the ridiculous amounts of food my fortress keeps creating.  Next up, I intend to build a waterfall, making use of all of the claystone I have lying around my fortress.  It'll use a pumpstack powered by windmill(s) to carry water from my brook several levels up before dumping it back in.

Uh, sorry the picture's blurry.  My image-fu is still weak.

AshrothTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 22, 2009, 04:49:20 am »

Praise the miners!

30 dwarves, so I'm gonna have a sad god-king all the while I try an' get some proper furniture for him.

Also, I'm just about ready to fail a fey craftsdwarf, due to him wanting silk cloth of all things, when my chasm only gives me dirty looks.

dAGNARUS

• Bay Watcher
  • Eventually, every fortress ends in magma floods.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 22, 2009, 05:53:15 am »

Just making my dwarves spar all the time.
I don't really have special jobs (yet) in my fortress. My legendary engraver is also a champion wrestler for example. I bet the goblins will stay away when they're suddenly surrounded by 50 champion wrestlers in adamantine (modding).
Dwarf Fortress: Where it is perfectly acceptable to make your civilization a living hell, for no reason.

Crowbar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 22, 2009, 06:51:36 am »

Also, I'm just about ready to fail a fey craftsdwarf, due to him wanting silk cloth of all things, when my chasm only gives me dirty looks.

Same damn thing happened to me.  Worst of all, the caravan came and didn't have any silk.  The dude went beserk and had to be put down.

Unfortunately, it was my ranger, so he did a damn fine job at trying to shoot everything to bits.  I lost a war dog.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 22, 2009, 12:13:13 pm »

A goblin ambush just wiped out a gnome caravan. Now I'm mad, I wanted to get rid of all the extra masterwork buckets my metalsmith made while training. They're only copper, not really worth keeping, but now I have no gnomes to hand them off to. On top of that, the pack animals they did kill were carrying metal bars, not gems... I need gems, I'm overwhelmed with metal. I hate ambushes.

My torture chamber is coming along nicely, and my well placed cage traps have filled my stockpiles with victims very well. The magma chamber was a good decision; it provided a very well placed dump zone for all the stone on those levels. I have the spike pit set up, and once I get a floor grate I'll have the drowning chamber. I need to build a kennel and have my DM train all the dogs to finish the chunker, and the atom smasher is set up. I have no siege engineer though, so I may end up making and dumping hundreds of catapult parts to get a few decent ones. Oh well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

AshrothTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 22, 2009, 03:03:24 pm »

Immigrants came, but the god-king wasn't amongst them, now I just need to get a new mood so I can dish out something masterworky for the suite.

I've had to kill a bunch of ogres that got a bit too close to my woodcutters, losing a few useless dwarves in the process. I've also found my underground river, which is really going to help with procuring wood. All that leaves is the pit, which is most likely either in one of the corners or right next to the HFS.

And glory be, I found my first hematite vein, which will really help get my military, once I can afford the dwarves to do so.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 22, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »

Turns out ogres pop out three babies ata time. I now have 12 ogre children in a pit with their war ogre parents, a war werewolf and a war rhesus macaque. There's also a war harpy who takes great pleasure in following my farmer who apparently trained her. With luck I'll catch a male  werewolf and harpy to start breeding. Im on the fence about wether I want a femal rhesus to start breeding them too. Though having my fighting chamber filled with rhesus pieces would be fun!
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

happydog23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 22, 2009, 07:37:57 pm »

I have come across a massive mountain range.  A volcano tile 1 tile from the ocean, with a brook leading off from it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is 76 (SEVENTY SIX) z levels, from the highest peak to the brook in the valley at near sea level.  It includes a chasm, magma pipe sand and a funhouse.  My starting wagon spawned on the side of a cliff and I have goods scattered all over one side of the mountain.

The downside?  After a rigorous search using stonesense debug mode I have found no useful metals.  None.  The most valuable vein I found is gold (there is alot of it) and the most effective combat metal I found (besides funhouse insulation)is a single vein of copper, on the other side of the map from where I am planning on putting my fort.

It's also a heavily modded game so it probably would have a hard time generating this way for anyone else.

I'm willing to try....

Also... I'm under seige by the humans.  The orcs killed 2 caravans and the diplomat.  But the humans are the worst enemy i've faced... in the FOUR seaons they've been here, one squad charged after 3 seasons and died in the drowning trap, the other squad has wandered over 3/4 of the map trampling all of the saplings. 

The worst is yet to come i fear...  Of the 16 horses the humans have left, OVER 16 foals have been born.  Hostile foals.  I say over because half the time one is born, the humans kill it an run in all directions.  Currently, 13 of them are alive.  I'm pretty sure they are wandering the countryside setting up a horseplosion bomb.  10 or 12 years form now my frame rate is going to die.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: December 22, 2009, 07:47:23 pm »

Have just executed a noble for having the temerity to demand rare and precious mithril items. Have not executed the hammerer, or set up the justice system, but I just felt like feeding the stupid count to the orcs.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 22, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »

I'm willing to try....

Spoiler: worldgen params (click to show/hide)

If it does fail I uploaded my mod a few days ago here. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1695

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

metaliturtle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 22, 2009, 09:49:57 pm »

My current fortress has been experimentation with screw pumps and a big water tower.  I had done one earlier that was hand-filled which I thought was pretty epic until I realized that it wouldn't fill fast enough to be useful every year when the goblins come.

My next fortress I want to create a magma tower to rain fiery death on the gobbos.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: December 23, 2009, 01:57:22 am »

Nothing going in my fort, I'm still in shock from embarking and discovering I have a pre-built

CHASM MOAT!

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 3842