Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122386 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #570 on: December 17, 2009, 12:21:44 pm »

Orcs vs Giant Cave Spider Queen? The carnage should be awesome. Am I right in assuming that there should be mounds of valuable silk left over when the all the action is over?

I'm betting the GCSQ will win, those things are VICIOUS! They can spray enough silk to stun dozens of orcs, can rip through even steel armor without really trying, and can take extreme punishment. I had 40 champions battling one, and I still lost one dwarf and had another maimed.

If you don't have a lot of well armed champions, wall yourself in. GCSQ's are [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2], they can smash floodgates and bridges with ease, unless you completely remove any path between that GCSQ and friendlies, it WILL kill you. Of course, that's a fitting end, but still.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

titan-rex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Crazy dinospartus Rex
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 17, 2009, 12:23:36 pm »

well not much apart from a huge elf army appeared from no where and ive caught all of them in cages... DAETH PIT!! me thinks with that tamed lion family
[CANCELS_SOCIAL_LIFE: REASON: DWARF FORTRESS]

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 17, 2009, 01:28:41 pm »

Oh yea, I'm starting to have to deal with a potential catsplosion, but things are under control for now. If much more female cats get adopted, Armok is going to send one of the dwarves a self destruct code that will make them melt into cytoplasm.
This is why I always slaughter kittens as soon as they're born. Fresh meat and avoided catsplosians for the win.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 17, 2009, 01:44:01 pm »

Oh yea, I'm starting to have to deal with a potential catsplosion, but things are under control for now. If much more female cats get adopted, Armok is going to send one of the dwarves a self destruct code that will make them melt into cytoplasm.
This is why I always slaughter kittens as soon as they're born. Fresh meat and avoided catsplosians for the win.

That is what I do, but sometimes they will get adopted before I have a chance. I already have three female cats and 5 male ones. Two of the females have been around for years, one or both came as immigrants and the youngest of the three is a cat which got adopted a year or two ago and is now a full grown kitten. Three out of the eight cats are owned by one dwarf and if that one somehow adopts another female kitten, he is going to be a puddle of cytoplasm.

On the subject of butchery, I'm expecting the dwarven caravan with a load of cattle soon as I wanted to start up a small meat industry with that. If the elves aren't delivering the goods, I'll have to deal with cattle. I may also trap the elephants that constantly wander around.

Edit: Elephants take 10 years to mature, soo.... maybe not so great for meat farming....

EDIT!: Figures, a siege has come....... TIME TO GET YOURSELVES SLAUGHTERED YOU SCURVY GOBBOS!!! lol
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:53:50 pm by smjjames »

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 17, 2009, 01:55:24 pm »

Ah, yeah, that can happen. Best way to avoid that, I think, is to have at least two butcheries, with a couple dedicated butchers. That's what I do; all they do is slaughter. Really helps prevent that.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 17, 2009, 03:01:20 pm »

Playing on dwarf heaven, trying to build a clear glass road lined with billon statues for my entrance, and a clear-glass housing area in the bottomless pit.

Also, my father just painted his living room. The color... it reminds me of the hypothetical bastard child of Microcline and Garnierite.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 17, 2009, 07:50:59 pm »

Oh God why. I just started a new glacier fort on a haunted glacier, and it happened to be frequented by ice wolves. So I get a trader in Fall, place my orders, and buy a few things. When the Liaison left, he walked straight into a pack of about 8 wolves. He was instantly torn to pieces. At least I already told them everything I wanted.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 17, 2009, 08:11:20 pm »

Just reclaimed after my first attempt at relentless assault mod. I thought 'pah this is easy, I've handled orcs'. I hadn't ever handled a fire imp though, the bugger sat outside my sealed entrance way for over a year, until the siege came. I ran out of food and had to open up, recruited everyone, they all died save 2 people who had followed the emergency plan and blown the bridge to the dining hall. Emergency food and picks were there but one went berserk and killed the other, he eventually starved to death :( hopefully this reclaim will go better.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 17, 2009, 09:05:33 pm »

Orcs vs Giant Cave Spider Queen? The carnage should be awesome. Am I right in assuming that there should be mounds of valuable silk left over when the all the action is over?

I'm betting the GCSQ will win, those things are VICIOUS! They can spray enough silk to stun dozens of orcs, can rip through even steel armor without really trying, and can take extreme punishment. I had 40 champions battling one, and I still lost one dwarf and had another maimed.

If you don't have a lot of well armed champions, wall yourself in. GCSQ's are [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2], they can smash floodgates and bridges with ease, unless you completely remove any path between that GCSQ and friendlies, it WILL kill you. Of course, that's a fitting end, but still.

I'm safely walled up, thanks to a raised interior bridge serving as an ad hoc wall. Would that the GCSQ would either walk into a cage trap and be caught, or fight the bloody orcs. That would be fitting. As it is.... I get to burn valuable blackmetal for armour.....need to train the armourer to something halfway competent with some less useful metal. Just as well I have plenty of coffins ready. Once I run out of wood and need to get more and lower the bridge, the carnage will begin.

Edit: minor problem... the orcs got fed up and left. The GCSQ didnt, naturally. The crazy village liason and yearly caravan from mountain home picked NOW to show up. damn.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:13:07 pm by stormyseasons »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 17, 2009, 09:32:39 pm »

Current fort: Training up some marksdwarves in preparation for the inevitable sieges (I should probably turn them on in my init to make it more exciting, huh?). 

I gotta say, this thread kinda weirds me out.  I mean, I posted it up over two years ago, and here it is, still going strong (though, to be fair, it was necroposted).  Still, woot!  Yay for good, solid topics!

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 17, 2009, 10:31:00 pm »

The GCSQ has been vanquished. At the cost of one GCS (tame), one grizzly bear (tame), and half my melee military - 2 speardwarves, about 2-3 swords dwarves, and probably one or two recruits.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 17, 2009, 10:54:17 pm »

I had my first ever tantrum spiral (and I recovered from it by plonking a few artifacts here and there). Went from 40 something dwarves down to 18, 6 of which were bed-ridden but it's all ok now. A big batch of migrants came in and I'm on the up and up!

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 18, 2009, 12:13:41 am »

I built a 4-z level arena where I am launching kittens and puppies into a wall for the amusement of my very sick dwarves.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 18, 2009, 12:20:35 am »

Grr, every time I start trying to work on my megaproject tower, a siege comes that grabs my attention away from observing the construction.

Its not that I can't handle the sieges, it's that I've been getting them just about every season for a year or two now. In fact, I haven't had the dwarven caravan for at least two years now because the siege scares them off.

Normally I would just go with it, but I'm too tired right now to deal with it.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #584 on: December 18, 2009, 01:49:52 am »

Had a gang of ratman try to swarm into my fort, only to get ripped apart by the wardogs I had chained by the front entrance. One the RM survived to crawl out of reach of the dogs. Unfortunately, he was lying just close enough to my trade depot that when the Elven caravan arrived, they kept trying to approach, would see him, and turn away. I had to recruit one of my original seven dwarves to trudge up topside and finish the job.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 3842