Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122173 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #540 on: December 16, 2009, 07:20:48 am »

Cue* twilight zone music. This deserves a closer look. Bug thread?

*Edit: corrected obvious grammatical error
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:07:11 am by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

DorfDorfingdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 16, 2009, 07:34:11 am »

Machinegod is no more. The great daemonic pits encircled with pallisade fortifications lay in ruins, bodies piled high. The Great Dwarven Apartment project has flooded due to more water pressure than originally estimated and untold hundreds now drift as bloated and water-logged cadavers in the massive underground chasm that housed it. The Dwarven Missile Silo project remains unfinished, its golden case hollow of its volatile fissile material.  The surviving members of The Council of Beasts, Machinegod's ruling class, have spread far and wide, their stories eliciting hushed whispers about the dangers of eccentric nobility.
[I got a root kit virus that infected my hard drive AND my BIOS. I'm out $100 for a new motherboard. Man alive do I wish this was destroyed by the means above.]
<quote>... the first migration gets conscripted to the "Quarry Security Force" which will be known as QuiSF because I like the name AND I MAKE THE RULES AROUND HERE!</quote>

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 16, 2009, 07:47:37 am »

There's even a freakin' tree growing in the gap.  My mind has been blown.

The tree will be on a tile of land, which can support the ring you are tring to drop. It needs chopping down first, then the tile channeling out.  This assumes I have understood your predicament correctly.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: December 16, 2009, 10:56:42 am »

Also check the init, maybe you have caveins disabled.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: December 16, 2009, 11:55:34 am »

Um yea, anyways, as I was working on the new entrance area last night, I got two kids snatched. This was after an ambush had come and I swear that there was no way that the goblins could have gotten past the stonefall traps, unless they learned to reach up a z-level. So, I taskmanagered out so that I could start over (I didn't go very far, it was late spring when I did so) and figure out what is going on this morning.

I wish there was a way of zooming to the location that the kid got snatched from, which would help alot.

In other news, the elves are starting to really annoy me, they have brought pratically nothing but cloth since I started. They did bring a mule last spring, but despite my attempts at pissing them off by ignoring them, stripping them naked and of everything else, the only thing I haven't done is offer them some wood.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: December 16, 2009, 12:03:07 pm »

Some glorious almost-fun happened. I engineered a 22 level fall (7 above ground, 15 more below; will build the tower higher soon) for my first hammerer, right through the middle of the central (and only) staircase where everyone can and must watch.
Built a floor with a support on top. An unsupported floor (with grates around it) on top of that and on that floor a lever, connected to the support, ready to drop the whole construction and whoever happens to pull it.

The hammerer pulls the lever, the support gives in, the upper floor with the hammerer falls and punches through the lower floor, just as planned.

Only problem: I didn't know dust from cave-ins would travel down all the way through my staircase, from very top to very bottom. It knocked out 12 dwarves of which 5 fell off the stairs and accompanied the hammerer on his flight.

Mild tantruming occured, killing another 2 before I managed to build a quick anti-tantrum machine: a little waterfall through said staircase. Kills FPS, but makes everyone happy. The start lever for it is in my mayors office. I imagine it to have a sign, saying "in case of emergency, pull the make-everyone-happy lever."

Funnily enough, another 22 migrants arrived later that year, despite the danger. I thought that 8 deaths, including one noble would stop the soapmakers from coming for a while.

One question: is there a cleaner and less deadly (for everybody else) way to drop a noble with himself pulling the lever? I don't like executions, suicide is ok, though  ;)

@smjjames: Strange... I just drowned a single elf caravan after they brought me nothing but cloth for two years and the next year they had tons of wood, some booze, a few plants and 4 bins of cloth. Must have been of the more intelligent kind.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: December 16, 2009, 12:27:27 pm »

I haven't tried drowning them, because I don't have a drowning chamber yet.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: December 16, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »

Funnily enough, another 22 migrants arrived later that year, despite the danger. I thought that 8 deaths, including one noble would stop the soapmakers from coming for a while.
Hardly. I'm systematically starving all the migrants, and after four or five years, they're still coming in drones.
One question: is there a cleaner and less deadly (for everybody else) way to drop a noble with himself pulling the lever? I don't like executions, suicide is ok, though  ;)
Lock him in his minuscule and completely unfurnished (except for a bed, chair and table, each marked as its respective room) room. He will either go insane, or starve or die by dehydration. When it's done, leave the body to stink up the place for the next noble.
Unless you still see this as execution, in which case, a food-chute will come in handy. Give him food only when he's starving and access to a pool of water (hole in the floor with bucket brigade-delivered water in it (maybe even a body or something)). Basically, do everything you can to make him unhappy.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: December 16, 2009, 02:01:30 pm »

In other news, the elves are starting to really annoy me, they have brought pratically nothing but cloth since I started. They did bring a mule last spring, but despite my attempts at pissing them off by ignoring them, stripping them naked and of everything else, the only thing I haven't done is offer them some wood.
@smjjames: Strange... I just drowned a single elf caravan after they brought me nothing but cloth for two years and the next year they had tons of wood, some booze, a few plants and 4 bins of cloth. Must have been of the more intelligent kind.

Apparently, due to how elves load their pack animals, they would like to bring you tons of stuff including not-just-cloth, but the pack animals can only carry so much and once they load cloth they don't have room for the rest. Someone did a test by giving the pack animals insane amounts of carrying capacity and they brought tons of animals and all that other good stuff. Without editing, the only way to get non-cloth stuff from elven caravans is to make them hate you a bit so that they don't bring as much stuff in general, which gives them room for animals and the like.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: December 16, 2009, 02:08:58 pm »

Apparently, due to how elves load their pack animals, they would like to bring you tons of stuff including not-just-cloth, but the pack animals can only carry so much and once they load cloth they don't have room for the rest. Someone did a test by giving the pack animals insane amounts of carrying capacity and they brought tons of animals and all that other good stuff. Without editing, the only way to get non-cloth stuff from elven caravans is to make them hate you a bit so that they don't bring as much stuff in general, which gives them room for animals and the like.

Yea, I saw the thread discussing that. Any way that would work without having to regen a new world? The elves usually respond to my pissing them off, but this group doesn't seem to be for some reason, it could be my wealth (although that in general isn't an issue) or maybe this elven civ is a particularily wealthy/productive one.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: December 16, 2009, 02:18:18 pm »

I think editing the raws of whatever animals (muskox, mule, horse? not sure about which specifically) won't require a regen, but I'm not sure the exact things you'd have to change regarding capacity.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: December 16, 2009, 02:27:28 pm »

Lock him in his minuscule and completely unfurnished (except for a bed, chair and table, each marked as its respective room) room. He will either go insane, or starve or die by dehydration. When it's done, leave the body to stink up the place for the next noble.

I wasn't talking about killing (that's easy) but specifically dropping. I already have a regular drowning chamber (succesfully tested with traders and especially useless migrants) and the magma room should be finished soon, along with some spike-based traps.
I'm building this beautiful giant tower with rooms for at least 120 dwarves and a hollow central drop shaft/staircase and I really wan't to use it. I just can't think of a way to drop someone
-without making dust or at least with no dust entering the shaft
-preferably without too much work for reloading/rebuilding the trap
-with the dwarf who's being dropped triggering it himself (by lever or pressure plate)

I think I'll need to do some experiments on how cave-ins generate dust and how exactly it spreads. There must be some way of controlling dust... for SCIENCE!
If there's absolutely no other way, I will separate the drop shaft from the stairs with windows, like this

XXXXX
XWWWX
XW.WX
XWWWX
XXXXX

X=stairs
W=window
.=useless nobles fall here
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 16, 2009, 02:49:08 pm »

You'll still get the people using the stairs with the resulting dust cloud, if the stairs are for general fortress use.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 16, 2009, 02:49:22 pm »

Just use a hatch or a bridge. It has the extra benefit of not requiring you to rebuild it.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 16, 2009, 03:13:45 pm »

Its a toy boat named The Mountanious Stoker, it has an image of Mosus Cudgeltax, who is my civs king, and it has an image of leaves on it (it actually says an image of a leaves). Now if you think about it for a moment, it looks like the dwarf who made it is saying that 'King Cudgeltax smokes weed!', lol. It is completely made of flint since I had locked the door since I was trying to cancel the mood.

Edit: Actually, it could also be symbolizing peace since peace was made with the goblins a few years before the current fort was founded.

Maybe the leaf is a fig leaf and the dwarven papacy ordered all images to have leaves covering up dwarven indecency.  Which would mean that the king is naked in the picture.  And I'm pretty sure that would make him an emperor, not a king.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 3842