Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122027 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #510 on: December 13, 2009, 04:24:16 am »

... aside from experience in Masonry...

Unfortunately, Masonry construction (building Walls, Towers, paving the sky, etc) gives no experience to the Masonry skill... or to any other skill that I can detect.
Wow, that would explain my plethora of dabbling masons who've stayed dabbling for years.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 13, 2009, 04:40:44 am »

Ed, Edd, n' Eddy
Curse you! Now I have to watch that episode, start to finish! >w< I haven't seen Ed, Edd n' Eddy for AGES.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

fizmat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 13, 2009, 08:29:38 am »

First fort ever, nothing special. Chose a simple site with a brook, half soil half stone, plenty trees. Besides two walled-in masons one caved-in miner and a hunter torn to shreds by wolves no problems. Some gems, some ores, lots of gold, no iron/flux. Run out fo edible food: fish cleaning was not set on repeat for some reason (~60 raw turtle), the small irrigated farm grew only pig tails and wheat and there's nowhere to mill it (~30 wheat). Big new in-soil farm not set up yet, and an ambush killed all non-pet adult dogs. All the fat have not been rendered till the embark either. So food supplies are good, now if my cooks stop hunting vermin and start working everything'll be OK.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 13, 2009, 08:59:21 am »

... aside from experience in Masonry...

Unfortunately, Masonry construction (building Walls, Towers, paving the sky, etc) gives no experience to the Masonry skill... or to any other skill that I can detect.
Wow, that would explain my plethora of dabbling masons who've stayed dabbling for years.

Building bridges does give some xp though.

Still, it is a great way to have a small group with high or legendary masonry skill making stuff while you have the masses construct things.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 13, 2009, 10:43:14 am »

Still, it is a great way to have a small group with high or legendary masonry skill making stuff while you have the masses construct things.

Yup. My usual procedure when undertaking major construction projects is to set "Masonry" active for all my Haulers and Drones, but restrict the Mason's Workshop profile to the specific Dwarves that are already trained in that skill. Checking the Haulers and Drones again at the end of the project shows no Masonry skill learned at all... not even Dabbling.
Never pet a burning dog.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 13, 2009, 10:45:38 am »

Reached 100 dwarves.
found a magma pool... (don't remember it on embark)
found underground river
mined out 4 hematite veins and 3 copper veins.

And I'm soon going to be working on...
- preparing for megabeasts
- obsidian capping the magma pipe.
- draining the magma pool to make a moat around my statue garden.
- building a mountain tower megaproject on top of the capped magma pipe that will let magma flow from the top to the bottom into a magma moat surrounding it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 13, 2009, 11:07:41 am »

Ok, new fortress.  This one I'm going to try to build my first real megaproject on.  After debating with myself a little while whether to build a tower or an airship I decided on an Empire State Building-esque Airship dock.

Strike the earth!  This will take awhile.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 13, 2009, 07:42:52 pm »

"The Titan Kulet Okircerol Zustashanam has come!"

This suprised the hell out of me since I was in the middle of building a new legendary dining room. Anyway I mobilize my military and prepare for a long hard struggle.

One lone champion took the Titan out singlehandedly, with his silver training sword, and without a single scratch on his body. I am just in awe.

This guy is getting his own tomb now. I'm going to give him his own set of noble rooms. He totally deserves it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:48:43 pm by Kyronea »
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #518 on: December 13, 2009, 08:39:19 pm »

There is a dead baby at the bottom of Pagedslipped's new cistern.  With the cistern already several levels full and no practical access to the bottom, the dwarves will have to try to ignore the funny taste in the drinking water for a while.  The baby's mother seems unconcerned;  perhaps with the dozen other children she's already given birth to she's lost count.

Meanwhile, the tax collector has mandated the construction of bismuth items.  Of course, it is impossible to make anything out of bismuth.  Miners are digging exploratory tunnels to look for Bismuthinite.

Meanwhile, the rabbit breeding engine continues functioning, with a few newly matured wild rabbits about to be delivered to the sawblade array.  And construction is underway on the prototype magma-powered automated trash incinerator.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 13, 2009, 09:41:45 pm »

After seeing the bloody mess that my squad* of 10 multilegendary wrestlers/hammerdwarves/shieldusers with high armor user skill made out of the latest siege, I've decided to create a killing arena near the entrance to concentrate the stuff for easier collection. They easily beat up the Elite Crossbowgoblin who didn't seem to have fired a single shot,  and since the macelord kept passing out due to a missing hand, his group was moving slow, so I brought the fight to them, and then on the way back to positions, they ran into a bowgob and wrestler group making their way around my large wall. Total annaihlation, no suvivors at all, well one axegob almost got away.

Anyways, I'm in the proccess of using ramps to carve out an area, I'm not sure on the design of the killing arena though. I've also had a thought of using magma and dropping it down on my entrance or something, but I guess I'll modify that idea.

*Not actually set up as a squad in the military menu, but it's the right number for one,

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 13, 2009, 09:48:14 pm »

...  Of course, it is impossible to make anything out of bismuth...

...except Bars, which do count towards fulfilling the mandate, IIRC.
Never pet a burning dog.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 13, 2009, 10:06:31 pm »

...  Of course, it is impossible to make anything out of bismuth...

...except Bars, which do count towards fulfilling the mandate, IIRC.

Since you felt the need to point out the obvious, I'll point out the obvious fact that he knows that and specifically mentioned looking for the ore in order to prevent comments like this.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #522 on: December 13, 2009, 11:10:09 pm »

At 6:00 PM, I Pulled The Lever™.

Going on 11:10 PM, and the game still isn't done computing the result of my cunning plan.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 13, 2009, 11:53:29 pm »

Started a fortress using the mother of all mods, I think.  I embarked between a joyous wilds and a terrifying biome :)  First skeletal creature to show up?  It wasn't an Otterman.  Or a Dire Otterman.  Or a Giant Dire Otterman.  It was a skeletal Giant Dire Otterman.  My dwarves dug into the nearest wall and sealed themselves inside  ;D  They'll have an outside meeting area though, I'm slowly building an outside meeting area from the inside out.

Sixteen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 14, 2009, 12:09:47 am »

I just got an artifact from my third secretive mood in a row out of three. The special thing is the artifact, a perfect sunstone called Sengidos Musodlolum, or Rungcall the Chaste Wood. Might just be my immature mind, but I find this funny.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 3842